Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
It's been super-smooth in downloading the update, then making a dedicated USB boot stick, then actually updating. As a super bonus feature, I previously wasn't able to connect to my work email/calendar/contacts that use Exchange 2003, and now I totally can. Worth $20 for me right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceslice
May 20, 2005

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Jesus christ having software update happen in the App Store makes perfect sense as to where OS X is going but it still is a :psyduck: thing in my head.

I was thinking exactly this, and came to post about it making sure my updates were coming right.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nice, Safari 6 updates the unread post counts on my Control Panel page when I use the back button, like it used to. Worth it.

edit: clarified

carry on then fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 26, 2012

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

carry on then posted:

Nice, Safari 6 updates the unread post counts on my Control Panel page, like it used to. Worth it.

Ha, your update to the thread was the first thing I clicked on as I noticed this. Loving this new Safari so far.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any cool apps that take advantage of notifications yet? Skype is the only IM I use and doesn't seem to be updated yet.

Is there such a thing as a Spotify controller that can be used in iOS to control Spotify on my MBP?

I've been thinking of buying Keynote. Is it "safe" to buy now or is there gonna be an update soon to coincide with ML?

Not too many, however Hiss hooks growl notifications into notification center. Worth a try.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Any word on if there was a video driver improvement? I still have the pipe dream that some day games can run close to as well in OSX.

Funk
Feb 16, 2006
Hooray, now I get to spend time finding out what obscure setting on my router is preventing my iMac from seeing my AppleTV on the network. My iPad sees it just fine.

Note: I have a 2011 iMac so the computer isn't an issue. Although it does come from a Time Machine backup dating back to a 2006 MacBook Pro. Does anyone know if there could potentially be a system identifying setting that might cause an issue from old backups?

Funk fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 26, 2012

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Scienter posted:

Ha, your update to the thread was the first thing I clicked on as I noticed this. Loving this new Safari so far.
The loss of Activity Window and View Source sucks in it, though.

Phummus posted:

I bought my MBP Retina 5 days ago and don't have the powernap option.
Same here :(

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Small White Dragon posted:

The loss of Activity Window and View Source sucks in it, though.

I guess if you turn on the Developer menu, there's a way to see which files a website has downloaded but I haven't really figured that out and I hope someone here will share how to do that. It was so nice just pasting whatever the copied file to your Downloads and snagging it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Most people probably know this, but when the install prompts tell you to make sure you're plugged in or have at least 25% battery. The Power Nap update restarted the system but refused to "take" 3 times before I tried it while plugged in, and Pages would download all the way but not install as well. So, yeah.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

So I went to eject my Time Machine disk and it gave me a warning about there being 2 volumes on the disk. This was news to me so I fired up diskutil list and got this:

It was showing up in Alfred as an ejectable volume too. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't there before, so is this something new in ML?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
iPhoto has already copied my poo poo from MobileMe, and now Aperture is trying to do it too. Problem is that Aperture hangs up and crashes halfway through the import every time. Anyone else run in to this?

I'm on ML with the newest updates to everything.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there a way to sort the list of Purchases in the Mac App Store by name? (10.8)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I can't get Game Center to work. I type in my username and password and nothing happens when I hit "sign in".

I found a post on the MacRumors forums that supposedly fixes it for people, but I can't understand what it's saying to do.

quote:

I had the same issue.
The issue is kind of the same people had with facetime at the release of OSX 10.7
The issue was related to custom entries in the file /etc/hosts

Check if you have edited the file /etc/hosts (using terminal)
If you did, temporarily remove all custom edits from it till it looks like this:
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

Save the file and afterwards run the following command in terminal: dscacheutil -flushcache

After this try logging in to Game Center again and it should work.
Once the login in succesful, you can reapply the custom settings in the /etc/hosts file. Game Center will continue to work.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Two things:

1) Notes is crashing for me every time I go to three-column view. Is anybody else getting this?

2) I have two non-Gmail IMAP accounts set up in Mail.app. I could no longer see folders for these accounts in the sidebar until I deleted and recreated the accounts. (No, they weren't just collapsed.) This is kind of a dumb bug. Edit: Wait, even after recreating the accounts the folders aren't appearing, it's just system folders showing up. What the hell??

TACD fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 26, 2012

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Asnorban posted:

Any word on if there was a video driver improvement? I still have the pipe dream that some day games can run close to as well in OSX.

Macs don't suck at gaming because of video drivers (although driver support does frequently blow). Macs suck at gaming because microsoft has a stranglehold on the market due to directx being the most popular API. And microsoft probably wont ever port direct x to os x because it would be commercial suicide.

So basically unless valve and some other behemoths move over entirely to open gl development (somewhat possible in their case), it's really out of apple's power.

Quick note though, I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'm mostly guessing here.

Bass Bottles posted:

I can't get Game Center to work. I type in my username and password and nothing happens when I hit "sign in".

I found a post on the MacRumors forums that supposedly fixes it for people, but I can't understand what it's saying to do.

open up the terminal, it's in the utilities folder (pre ML at least0.

type "sudo nano /etc/hosts"
it will ask for your password.

delete everything in the file until it looks like this:

code:
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
Save the file (control+o), and afterwards run the following command in terminal: dscacheutil -flushcache.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 26, 2012

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Oneiros posted:

So I went to eject my Time Machine disk and it gave me a warning about there being 2 volumes on the disk. This was news to me so I fired up diskutil list and got this:

It was showing up in Alfred as an ejectable volume too. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't there before, so is this something new in ML?

Real quick, what you see in `diskutil list` isn't new in Mountain Lion. The behavior you're experiencing is not intentional, though.

I explain a little bit about the CoreStorage world in this post.

CoreStorage physical volumes (PVs, see link above) have a corresponding "Apple_Boot" partition. That's standard CoreStorage behavior. The PV in your setup is disk2s2. For reasons that aren't worth going into, its corresponding Apple_Boot partition is small and doesn't contain a recovery system. Your backup volume is disk3, and that is the logical volume (LV). That's what Finder sees, and presumably what you tried to eject. The backing storage for this volume is the PV at disk2s2. (Make sense?)

In your case, clicking eject on the LV ("Tardis") shouldn't cause the dialog you're talking about to appear. You should also never see the Apple_Boot partition in Finder. At the risk of sounding like a broken record in the thread, run tmdiagnose and please file a bug.

edit: What does `mount | grep disk2` say?

edit: clarity

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 26, 2012

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Kind of weird, the notification sidebar scrolls "natural" style, even though I have that unchecked in Trackpad preferences.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TACD posted:

Edit: Wait, even after recreating the accounts the folders aren't appearing, it's just system folders showing up. What the hell??
Self-quoting, but for anybody else with this - there's a new 'Archive' entry in the sidebar that hides extra IMAP folders. Derp.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone have a download link for Safari 6 for 10.7 which I assume was also released today?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My Safari's looking a little weird in ML:

Anyone experienced this? It's like parts of it are drawn with old widgets or something.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm picking up a MacBook Air today - first Mac I've ever owned.

Is there anything I should know straight away? Like, some "must do" tweaks that everyone knows about and I'd have no clue that would make my life easier?

Just trying to get a heads up before I crack it open.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mikey-San posted:

Real quick, what you see in `diskutil list` isn't new in Mountain Lion. The behavior you're experiencing is not intentional, though.

I explain a little bit about the CoreStorage world in this post.

CoreStorage physical volumes (PVs, see link above) have a corresponding "Apple_Boot" partition. That's standard CoreStorage behavior. The PV in your setup is disk2s2. For reasons that aren't worth going into, its corresponding Apple_Boot partition is small and doesn't contain a recovery system. Your backup volume is disk3, and that is the logical volume (LV). That's what Finder sees, and presumably what you tried to eject. The backing storage for this volume is the PV at disk2s2. (Make sense?)

In your case, clicking eject on the LV ("Tardis") shouldn't cause the dialog you're talking about to appear. You should also never see the Apple_Boot partition in Finder. At the risk of sounding like a broken record in the thread, run tmdiagnose and please file a bug.

edit: What does `mount | grep disk2` say?

edit: clarity

You are Core Storage god. :allears:

Anyhow, I've been unable to recreate the problem. I ejected the "Tardis" LV (and presumably the "Apple_Boot" volume with it). When I then physically unplugged the firewire cable, I got one of those "You did not properly eject the device data corruption blah blah blah" popups. After plugging it back in and mounting everything seems to be working correctly.

'mount | grep disk2' reports nothing just like it should.

:iiam:

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Well, that upgrade was a waste of $20.

Safari's reduced latency is a nice touch, but there were rendering errors on pitchfork.com and their embedded music player doesn't work in Saf. yet, works just fine in Chrome. I'll take Chrome's slightly slower UI over broke-rear end rendering.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Currently installing the update, and it's sitting at the progress-bar screen with the following caption:

Time remaining: About -4 minutes

That's negative four minutes remaining. Not sure what I want to do, exactly.

Edit: So, the progress bar just shot back to 1/3rd, and it now says 20 minutes remaining. About 25 minutes have already elapsed. I'm not worried. Should I be worried?

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 26, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

n0n0 posted:

Currently installing the update, and it's sitting at the progress-bar screen with the following caption:

Mine did this and I freaked out thinking I probably had some kind of HD failure. Then I waited and it went back to 20 minutes and progressed normally. Wait it out :)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
FYI for anyone who uses Mail and keeps their poo poo in a nonstandard location:

I keep the "Mail" folder on my Personal drive and keep an alias of it in the ~/Library/ folder. This has worked forever, but stopped working in Mountain Lion. It threw up an error message indicating I didn't have permissions to access the folder at /Personal/Mail/, which was definitely not true. I tried a bunch of different stuff, but finally discovered dumping the alias and replacing it with a symbolic link fixed the issue. Which is strange, because it clearly had no trouble following the alias (it knew my mail was in /Personal/Mail/). But there you go.

Also, I was disappointed (but not surprised) to discover that Finder still does not obey when I uncheck "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application" in Mission Control. Spaces is still useless to me thanks to this. :smith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

n0n0 posted:

Edit: So, the progress bar just shot back to 1/3rd, and it now says 20 minutes remaining. About 25 minutes have already elapsed. I'm not worried. Should I be worried?

it's just cleaning up stuff and gets really bad about estimating how long it takes.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I installed ML on my late-2011 Core i7 27" iMac today and everything appears to have gone well, except when the machine goes to sleep, it's shutting down completely. I found it at my desk completely shut down twice after leaving for long enough for it to go to sleep.

I went into the Energy Saver prefs and set "computer sleep" to "Never," and left it long enough for it to fall asleep on its own. When I came back, it was still on, but was at the login screen as if I had logged out.

My early 2011 MBP and my 2012 Mac mini are not exhibiting this behavior, only the iMac. Any ideas?

Edit: The "Log out after XX minutes of inactivity" option in Security & Privacy > Advanced is not checked. I'm stumped.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I am trying to install Mountain Lion, but it just sits at the "Downloading additional components" screen. The first time it said "100 hours left" so I quit and started, now it just sits there with no progress indication at all.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

krooj posted:

Well, that upgrade was a waste of $20.

Safari's reduced latency is a nice touch, but there were rendering errors on pitchfork.com and their embedded music player doesn't work in Saf. yet, works just fine in Chrome. I'll take Chrome's slightly slower UI over broke-rear end rendering.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Out of curiosity, when you're unprobated, try CNN. I clicked a link there and got caught in a loop of browser crashes.

I'm on Lion, for what it's worth.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
So I get a bunch of graphical glitches in Safari ML on the rMBP. It's really annoying.

Also, I despise, despise, despise the way Safari reloads every page when you hit back instead of just drawing from memory. Is there a toggle somewhere that will shut that down?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Totally agree with that, mediaphage.

Also the new Safari doesn't stick with link anchors properly anymore when images are loading on a page. Makes going to the latest unread post in a SA thread no longer work properly. This is a thing they fixed four or five years ago... sad to see it's return.

To top it off, I am one of the few who hate omnibars. This Safari update is definitely not my thing.

Nice to see Messages working though; I just wish the unification between email/phone # would happen now, and not with the release of iOS 6. Why are they waiting?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Nice to see Messages working though; I just wish the unification between email/phone # would happen now, and not with the release of iOS 6. Why are they waiting?
iMessage/Messages hasn't had the most reliable beta experiences to date, so they're probably trying to make sure it actually works before they push it out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Totally agree with that, mediaphage.

Also the new Safari doesn't stick with link anchors properly anymore when images are loading on a page. Makes going to the latest unread post in a SA thread no longer work properly. This is a thing they fixed four or five years ago... sad to see it's return.

To top it off, I am one of the few who hate omnibars. This Safari update is definitely not my thing.

I at least enjoy the omnibar. I think it's something you'll rapidly get used to. Using Chrome originally was a thing, then it just became normal.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Why is backspace no longer bound to 'back' in Safari? :cry:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TACD posted:

Why is backspace no longer bound to 'back' in Safari? :cry:

You should be able to make an application-specific keyboard shortcut in syspref to take of that. I set up cmd+option+<- and -> to swap tabs like in Chrome; otherwise I'd never have been able to get used to Safari.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is there a notification center hot-key?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mediaphage posted:

You should be able to make an application-specific keyboard shortcut in syspref to take of that. I set up cmd+option+<- and -> to swap tabs like in Chrome; otherwise I'd never have been able to get used to Safari.

Nah you can't make one using the Delete key unfortunately.
Someone raise it (Safari's sudden lack of shortcut, not the Sys Prefs behaviour) as a bug!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Ziploc posted:

Is there a notification center hot-key?

You can set one in the Keyboard prefpane, under Keyboard Shortcuts -> Mission Control.