Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Quorum posted:

I read this (in context) to say that the leaders inciting and abetting the no poo poo Nazis in our streets are just as culpable as the Nazis themselves. That when you spew a hundred and forty characters worth of hate every single hour, you shouldn't act horrified when someone acts on it.

Even out of context it reads to me like shade on Trump as the inspiration for this stuff, not like she's criticizing BLM or taking down Confederate statues or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

On Monday there's going to be this laundry list of questions and connections the Trump Admin has to answer for. Miller. Bannon. Sessions. Gorkha and him just a few days ago saying they need to stop criticizing white supremacists. The DHS changes from working on those groups. The DOJ moves away from civil rights cases and towards issues of "bias against white people."

Like, a lot of that would have happened even if Trump had come right out and condemned white supremacists and Nazis. But every hour he doesn't just makes it worse. And with him on vacation and them not doing the "daily" press briefings you just build up the pressure.

I mean, the guy filling in as Communications Director is Richard Spencer's college buddy.

gently caress I totally forgot about that line from Ghorka too, and you've got the Bannon accusation Trump made earlier too. Monday's presser (if they have one) is going to be wild.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They aren't going to give those answers.

Of course not, but they can't stop the media narrative.

At least not until they declare war on North Korea or something.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

...plus good posters stopped reading GBS years ago and stay siloed off in subforums reading via bookmarks. Keeping gbs modded is a hard thankless job.

Absolutely. When the various sub-forum ghettos were created a lot of people lost all reason to ever sift through the background noise threads in GBS again. It used to be a genuinely vibrant, varied, and entertaining place. The threads moved into sub (or sub-sub-forums in the case of Trad Games) also lost a lot of their ability to gain new posters.

As I recall people were accurately predicting what would happen at the time of the purge.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

This could be an interesting wedge. Trump could be the President who ties the GOP to literal Nazis. Forever. They're aware of this and it's up to them to do something if they want to save their party's image.

Sadly it's just as likely to energize their base and help them win elections as it is to hurt them. It's not like republicans who supposedly aren't nazis haven't been aware of how incredibly racist and bigoted the party they vote for is and always has been. Not one person who votes republican is against racism, they might rather people be quieter about it than these nazis have been, but that's not the same as being against it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:stare:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/896512295278391296

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

PT6A posted:

Why the gently caress don't they just say "yes, the president condemns white supremacists and the violence they cause"?

If he does he then has to fire Miller, Bannon and Gorka.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

M....moses??

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PT6A posted:

Hey remember how like two months ago or something, we were all concerned about nuclear war on the Korean Peninsula and in Guam?

bright side: subjectively, this is prolonging our lives

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Yeah, plague isn't exactly uncommon to find in rodents in the american southwest, but its really easily treated with modern medicine

quote:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that studies suggest that outbreaks of the plague occasionally occur in southwestern U.S. states like Arizona during cooler summers that follow wet winters.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/896562074163318785

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Quick, someone check all the prophesies in history. Biblical, Nostradamus, whatever. Some freaky poo poo is going down.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PT6A posted:

Why the gently caress don't they just say "yes, the president condemns white supremacists and the violence they cause"?

It'd basically be a wink-wink-nudge-nudge kind of thing anyone until he actually does even a single goddamn thing to stop it, and he won't even do that much. It's literally insane as well as being morally reprehensible.

Cause he doesn't

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

there's a reason i subscribe to the washington post and not the new york times, and every so often i think i should subscribe and they do dumb poo poo like this

You could do both :p

I like the NYT overall, but they have a bad habit of not giving certain topics enough attention, and other ones way too much (like stupid poo poo about rich people)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Grapplejack posted:

gently caress I totally forgot about that line from Ghorka too, and you've got the Bannon accusation Trump made earlier too. Monday's presser (if they have one) is going to be wild.

Trump is supposed to have a conference Monday. Rumor is it's about igniting a trade war with China.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I feel bad for the kid who is a Democrat whose image and name were plastered all over 4chan/alt-right subreddits as to blame for the car crash. Turns out it was a registered Republican Nazi kid. And now there's nothing but deflections in my local news articles comments of, "well those loony liberals have killed more."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

actionjackson posted:

You could do both :p

I like the NYT overall, but they have a bad habit of not giving certain topics enough attention, and other ones way too much (like stupid poo poo about rich people)

no i mean i dont subscribe because of this sort of thing

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 13, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

People are going to angrily go "whatever, gently caress her", etc. But I can't imagine how horrible it would be to suddenly realize that your child became a monster and you didn't notice.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

no its more of the same "i condemn all hatred" and "this isnt america!" crap

LOL at BernieBros also being 140 characters of less morons.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's endemic in rodents throughout the western us. Not hanging out with rats and modern hygiene generally keep it in check. If that fails, the plague victim can go bankrupt getting higher end antibiotics in a hospital.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rigel posted:

Quick, someone check all the prophesies in history. Biblical, Nostradamus, whatever. Some freaky poo poo is going down.

:agreed:

I'm checking the Book of Nod.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cause he doesn't

Yeah, even the mild pushback he got from David Duke is something he'd clearly rather avoid. At every turn, going back to the primaries, his instinct has been to cater to his alt-right core supporters over mainstream opinion. He won the presidency while doing that (except for the token nod to the mainstream with a super weak backing off from his Birther poo poo in which he still claimed victory), and anyone still waiting for that pivot is a moron. He may make a slightly stronger statement at some point in the next few days, but it will have to be dragged out of him, because what we got today is very obviously the real Trump.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Rigel posted:

People are going to angrily go "whatever, gently caress her", etc. But I can't imagine how horrible it would be to suddenly realize that your child became a monster and you didn't notice.

No, she knows he is a monster and didn't have the courage as a parent to step in.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Cause he doesn't

It's this. If they tweet it for him he'll lose his temper and say something really stupid. He absolutely harbors reprehensible views and he's not afraid to show them off to anyone.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I feel bad for the kid who is a Democrat whose image and name were plastered all over 4chan/alt-right subreddits as to blame for the car crash. Turns out it was a registered Republican Nazi kid. And now there's nothing but deflections in my local news articles comments of, "well those loony liberals have killed more."

Yup. Plus once it became clear that the Michigan guy wasn't the one, they did this

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/896533144714833920

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/LorenzoMeow/status/896561497110978561

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

They aren't going to give those answers.

And that shouldn't stop the questions from being asked ad nauseum.

EDIT: Oh gently caress, what a typo.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 13, 2017

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Absolutely. When the various sub-forum ghettos were created a lot of people lost all reason to ever sift through the background noise threads in GBS again. It used to be a genuinely vibrant, varied, and entertaining place. The threads moved into sub (or sub-sub-forums in the case of Trad Games) also lost a lot of their ability to gain new posters.

As I recall people were accurately predicting what would happen at the time of the purge.

At the same time, we're reminiscing about GBS' greatest hits. There were some amazing threads, but there was always a ton of garbage that came with it.

These days I don't even bother to look there.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trump's affinity for the alt-right isn't just a new thing he picked up for convenience either. His stance on the Central Park Five was taken long before he took a serious interest in politics, and he never once backed down from it. The racism is the real Trump.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

saintonan posted:

No, she knows he is a monster and didn't have the courage as a parent to step in.

I really doubt it. There are some people who are so repelled by politics that they aggressively avoid it. She probably had no idea what alt-right was.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Rigel posted:

If your son is this bad you're responsible.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And that should stop the questions from being asked ad nauseum.

No, it just shifts who the questions are directed to. Does the GOP want to be tied to racist white supremacists for the entire lifetime of millenials? Trump seems to be fine with that, so it's time to find out how many other Republicans are fine with that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I mean he's 20 years old and was living on his own. People can self-radicalize quickly, I'm not willing to condemn his mother for it.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Rigel posted:

I really doubt it. There are some people who are so repelled by politics that they aggressively avoid it. She probably had no idea what alt-right was.

"I try to stay out of his politics" means she knows drat well what company her son keeps.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Trump's affinity for the alt-right isn't just a new thing he picked up for convenience either. His stance on the Central Park Five was taken long before he took a serious interest in politics, and he never once backed down from it. The racism is the real Trump.

It's because his father believed and impressed on him that people of other races are inherently inferior.

Stop trying to mince this poo poo people. Trump is just as much of a white supremacist and neonazi as these guys and even worse and we've been saying it for years now. This isn't some loving joke. The man read hitler for fucks sake.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

PhazonLink posted:

LOL at BernieBros also being 140 characters of less morons.

you... how dare you. i wont let you get away with this insult

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NegarMortazavi/status/884597934209323008
https://twitter.com/NegarMortazavi/status/884504634462789632
https://twitter.com/Scavino45/status/896563930763546624
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/896565353224036352

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
He may have even tried to tell her but all she got from it was something about a frog and chicken fingers. It's politics to her in the same way that everything is a Nintendo or a Pokemon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

saintonan posted:

"I try to stay out of his politics" means she knows drat well what company her son keeps.

I mean, it could mean she knew her son had politics she disagreed with and she avoided the subject to maintain the relationship.

I stay out of a lot of my family member's politics too. There's reasons to that other than "I know he's a Nazi with psychotic desires to murder."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/896565353224036352

Assad apologists truly are great people....

• Locked thread