Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
hick won :)

get hosed sedanchair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ufarn posted:

Weigel has been one of those really weird journos being all meta on Twitter about how it's ridiculous to base any prediction on the midterms - only to do the same thing about the "future (for now)" of Texas literally in the following tweets.

They just can't help themselves.

Families have to encourage voting, because hispanic communities have some of the most pathetic voting patterns in the developed world.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Jagchosis posted:

hick won :)

get hosed sedanchair

Udall will probably lose, though.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The people who stayed home, and the ones who voted for the right will get what hell they deserve. It just sucks that we have to come along for the ride. When they start crying about it (and oh they will), remind them:

When PPACA comes crashing down? Suck it. You did this.
When they start logging/fracking/mining the national parks? Suck it. You did this.
When they try to eliminate medicaid or privatize social security again? Suck it. You did this.
Union busting, teacher shortages, infastructure collapses, mass unemployment and war? Suck it. You did this, and you deserve it. :sherman:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Amergin posted:

Udall will probably lose, though.

yeah colorado udall lost by a landslide but he made the entire election about abortion for some reason.

there are now finally more black people in the senate than there are udalls in the senate

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There is no way in hell Texas was ever going to vote out the party that basically made this the most job-filled state during a national economic crisis that saw the bankruptcy of Democrat run Detroit.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

less voter suppression,

Where was this?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Talmonis posted:

The people who stayed home, and the ones who voted for the right will get what hell they deserve. It just sucks that we have to come along for the ride. When they start crying about it (and oh they will), remind them:

When they start logging/fracking/mining the national parks? Suck it. You did this.
When they try to eliminate medicaid or privatize social security again? Suck it. You did this.
Union busting, teacher shortages, infastructure collapses, mass unemployment and war? Suck it. You did this, and you deserve it. :sherman:

Definitely the way to encourage turnout. Shaming and doomsaying did so well for Democrats this cycle.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Talmonis posted:

Solid victim blaming ITT

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zeitgueist posted:

Solid victim blaming ITT

You are a caricature.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nonsense posted:

There is no way in hell Texas was ever going to vote out the party that basically made this the most job-filled state during a national economic crisis that saw the bankruptcy of Democrat run Detroit.

I didn't know you could vote for shale deposits.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Brannock posted:

You are a caricature.

Oh poo poo did I set off your "zeitgueist posted something" alarm?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Definitely the way to encourage turnout. Shaming and doomsaying did so well for Democrats this cycle.

Oh always offer a alternative, but tea party types deserve to be told they are literal human scum. Because lets be honest almost every last one of them are.

Nonesense stop stealing Amergin's gimmick.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Talmonis posted:

Obama's fault.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Zeitgueist posted:

Solid victim blaming ITT

No, we kind of do collectively deserve to eat whatever poo poo the republicans feed us over the next few years for how piss poor turnout was. Granted, democrats did not make themselves appealing whatsoever by campaigning to the right and "moderates".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nutranurse posted:

No, we kind of do collectively deserve to eat whatever poo poo the republicans feed us over the next few years for how piss poor turnout was. Granted, democrats did not make themselves appealing whatsoever by campaigning to the right and "moderates".

Look at why turnout was poor. Republicans didn't magically get into a position to win seats based on nothing, and yelling at people for not showing up accomplishes nothing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Zeitgueist posted:

Where was this?

Illinois had an affirmative right to vote amendment

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

Neato, hadn't heard about that.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

I didn't know you could vote for shale deposits.

Perry stripped states of their wealthiest corporations all on the basis that Texas ideology made your business more powerful and influential, than if it stayed in California or New York.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zeitgueist posted:

Solid victim blaming ITT

Are the people of Kansas who re-elected a governer who has run the state into the ground not to blame when said governer doubles down on the crazy? I hope he continues and I get to rub it in the faces of all the people I know who most definitely voted for him.

But he's gonna cut their taxes while loving poor people so they don't really care!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Look at why turnout was poor. Republicans didn't magically get into a position to win seats based on nothing, and yelling at people for not showing up accomplishes nothing.

No, but telling people who didn't vote to shut up and stop complaining will be my primary occupation for the foreseeable future. We all have skin in this democracy game and should probably participate, especially if you want to be able to whinge about things. That's Civic Duty 101.

gently caress. Even if you threw your vote away by voting for a third party at least you're still voting.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Choosing to not vote when the Republicans can gain power is absolutely an action that deserves ridicule. Maybe showing people that they are the ones responsible for things going to pot will get them to do the bare loving minimum to prevent more harm to themselves.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nutranurse posted:

No, but telling people who didn't vote to shut up and stop complaining will be my primary occupation for the foreseeable future. We all have skin in this democracy game and should probably participate, especially if you want to be able to whinge about things. That's Civic Duty 101.

gently caress. Even if you threw your vote away by voting for a third party at least you're still voting.

Again, look at why people don't vote and start attacking that. Whining about non-voters is naive and short-sighted. People didn't just up and say "I'm gonna be laaaaaaaazy"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

nutranurse posted:

The only blame we deserve is not moving to strip the democratic party of cowards. Those who didn't vote because "Well it won't matter" though deserve plenty of blame.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Talmonis posted:

Choosing to not vote when the Republicans can gain power is absolutely an action that deserves ridicule. Maybe showing people that they are the ones responsible for things going to pot will get them to do the bare loving minimum to prevent more harm to themselves.

Getting mad at people who don't vote for a party that refuses to campaign to them or do anything to appease them comes off as naive and wishful.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

fknlo posted:

Are the people of Kansas who re-elected a governer who has run the state into the ground not to blame when said governer doubles down on the crazy? I hope he continues and I get to rub it in the faces of all the people I know who most definitely voted for him.

But he's gonna cut their taxes while loving poor people so they don't really care!

Don't blame the voters, blame the Democratic party for putting up terrible candidates and running terrible campaigns.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Gee people aren't voting, clearly berating them about this will change things around!

:shepface:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Liberals and left people do not vote during mid-terms because mid-terms are like regular season basketball nobody gives a gently caress until the playoffs (Presidential years).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Things have really gone South at the White House today.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

nutranurse posted:

well dont blame me

i voted for kodos

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

Don't blame the voters, blame the Democratic party for putting up terrible candidates and running terrible campaigns.

Looking at their cannidate there, I say that the real blame lies with the national democrats not giving him the help he deserved.

Zeitgueist posted:

Gee people aren't voting, clearly berating them about this will change things around!

Yeah you see there is one thing the Republicans are rights about, there are certain people who won't vote for you, really nothing wrong with crushing such peoples spirits, especially seince such people are literal scum.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Zeitgueist posted:

Neato, hadn't heard about that.
Montana also defeated a measure that would have changed the deadline for late voter registration from poll closing to the Friday before Election Day. They proceeded to elect Republican Steve Daines to the Senate.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

nutranurse posted:

No you'll get yelled at, at least as badly in this thread for 3rd party voting.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

When they bitch about the consequences of their choice to not vote, they deserve it.

Panzeh posted:

Getting mad at people who don't vote for a party that refuses to campaign to them or do anything to appease them comes off as naive and wishful.

These are Democrats we're talking about here. Registered Democrats. They didn't show up for the bare minimum, knowing full well what the Republicans have in mind for us all. They made a choice to be lazy or to "stick it" to not being pandered to. Well guess what? It's time to pay the piper for their choice. They deserve every ounce of pain.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Don't blame me, I moved to a state that has one of the highest cost of living in the nation so I could throw my vote away on 3rd party candidates and not feel bad about it. :smug:

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Looking at their cannidate there, I say that the real blame lies with the national democrats not giving him the help he deserved.

The Democratic party was too busy looking at 2016 that by the time they realized 2014 has elections that matter, it was too late.

In reality though it doesn't matter. What does the GOP controlling both sides of Congress change from them just having the House? Same old gridlock, same old games of chicken, it's just that now it's between Obama and Boner+Turtle rather than between Boner and "Kochs! :argh:".

EDIT:

Talmonis posted:

When they bitch about the consequences of their choice to not vote, they deserve it.

These are Democrats we're talking about here. Registered Democrats. They didn't show up for the bare minimum, knowing full well what the Republicans have in mind for us all. They made a choice to be lazy or to "stick it" to not being pandered to. Well guess what? It's time to pay the piper for their choice. They deserve every ounce of pain.

Jesus Christ get off your high horse already. There are many people out there who disagree with your opinions. There are many people out there who had better poo poo to do than vote (myself included, it's called "a job"). Either go do something fun for a couple days until you cool off and realize this poo poo doesn't really matter anyway, or just quit politics for good and be happier in your life.

Goddamn it's like I'm reading r/politics in here. This poo poo is nuts, y'all. You're behaving like tantrum children, just how the conservatives are characterizing you. Stop giving them tears to drink. Take the loss and focus on 2016.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 5, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Talmonis posted:

This is like where we argued for 3 pages about how you can successfully shame fat folks into being thin.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Again, look at why people don't vote and start attacking that. Whining about non-voters is naive and short-sighted. People didn't just up and say "I'm gonna be laaaaaaaazy"

It's kind of a catch-22 (e:lol how'd I make that mistake) wherein politicians won't pay attention to people who don't vote and people who don't vote don't vote because politicans don't pay attention to them. Yeah, sure, a politican could risk it and do some Warren-esque "lets try to help kids out with student loans" stuff, but, well that poo poo failed miserably in Congress. Because politicians know young people don't vote, so why stick your neck out for them?

I agree with you, Zeitgueist, that the dems this cycle campaigned on either milquetoast moderate positions or actively ran away from Obama and the party's accomplishments these past years, that was a huge loving mistake. Like, I dunno why these guys keep thinking that democrats will vote democrat because D stands for 'not republican'. Time and time again we've just stayed the gently caress home in these cases (doubly so for midterms). I hope next cycle the democrats will try to stand for something other than "we have a D in front of our name, not an R!!!!!!"

But at the same time. loving vote. Jesus. It's your goddamned duty. Not even a right or privilege! I dunno if it's because I'm a 1st generation immigrant who really appreciates the boons that citizenship brings, but goddammit the American electorate is equal parts stupid, lazy, and spiteful.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 5, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

nutranurse posted:

But at the same time. loving vote. Jesus. It's your goddamned duty. Not even a right or privilege! I dunno if it's because I'm a 1st generation immigrant who really appreciates the boons that citizenship brings, but goddammit the American electorate is equal parts stupid, lazy, and spiteful.

im pretty sure ignorance, sloth, and spite are the things this nation was founded upon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

The Democratic party was too busy looking at 2016 that by the time they realized 2014 has elections that matter, it was too late.

In reality though it doesn't matter. What does the GOP controlling both sides of Congress change from them just having the House? Same old gridlock, same old games of chicken, it's just that now it's between Obama and Boner+Turtle rather than between Boner and "Kochs! :argh:".
AKA the Dems are controlled by loving idiots.
Amergin can you go back to your gimick? It feels weird when you post like your regular self

nutranurse posted:

It's kind of a catch-44 wherein politicians won't pay attention to people who don't vote and people who don't vote don't vote because politicans don't pay attention to them. Yeah, sure, a politican could risk it and do some Warren-esque "lets try to help kids out with student loans" stuff, but, well that poo poo failed miserably in Congress. Because politicians know young people don't vote, so why stick your neck out for them?

I agree with you, Zeitgueist, that the dems this cycle campaigned on either milquetoast moderate positions or actively ran away from Obama and the party's accomplishments these past years, that was a huge loving mistake. Like, I dunno why these guys keep thinking that democrats will vote democrat because D stands for 'not republican'. Time and time again we've just stayed the gently caress home in these cases (doubly so for midterms).

You should also add, vote in the primaries. Tired of the Dems having milquost idiots who are such whores to wall street they can't be bothered to speak off script? Then get people who won't be afraid of wall street to be in the primaries, also get involved with the machinery.

Ernie Muppari posted:

im pretty sure ignorance, sloth, and spite are the things this nation was founded upon

Just spite.

• Locked thread