Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Put the fork down fatties. It's not hard.

"but you see socio economic factors" -a not poor fat rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

It's mean to be a jerk to people who are actually a healthy weight and call them fatties tho

that being said if you're morbidly obese lol

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

you can eat like a complete piece of poo poo and not be fat as long as you stop eating enough to feed three people

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

rap music posted:

you can eat like a complete piece of poo poo and not be fat as long as you stop eating enough to feed three people

yep but that requires control to not keep shoveling it in, which for some people is hard!!

sugar is addictive but i don't really have an addictive personality so i could probably eat mcdonalds the rest of my life and never be fat if i wanted to, but why the gently caress would i lol

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

School Nickname posted:

As a loving fatass who hates himself I do not understand how HAES has become a thing. Being fat is poo poo. You get out-of-breath from a loving 10 minute walk. You sweat like a motherfucker. Never knowing when your next diarrhea episode will ambush you and make you go from "I'm ok. This is fine." to "Jesus gently caress, where's the nearest bathroom!?" in 10 minutes. Half-paranoid that every time a person looks at you they scream, "Man that guy is a loving disgusting fatass!" internally. loving Chub Rub. HAES seems to me to be an American thing, so are all these guys on so much meds that they don't notice all the things I do? My body tells me everyday in its own way that I'm a blimp, a behemoth, a monstrosity that has made him unfuckable and that this is all punishment.

Also the 400+ pound people terrify me. I've never actually seen one in my life who didn't have a genetic disorder like downs syndrome, etc. At my very worst I was 280. Chips, crisps and booze mainly. I probably would have ballooned way past 300 if cakes and pastries were my thing, but I hate stuff that's too sweet.

Now that I'm back at college I'm making at least some effort to cut down, because looking at all these thin, athletic, insanely attractive 20+ year olds just shames me even more. I tried keto before and lost 30 pounds in a month, but the diet is way too restrictive (Plus any eggs now give me the shits two hours hours after eating). So I guess I'll just stick to fruit+yogurt blends, boring rear end meat + mirepoix stews (really tasty actually) and just plain old boiled/fried chicken with chicken spice if I'm in a pinch. Learning to cook actual meals instead of buying poo poo and shovelling it into my fatass mouth has been an amazing help. Addiction to cider is a problem though!

Are you serious when you say you hate yourself? If so, why? It's not because you're fat (if anything, being fat is a symptom, not a cause). If you don't know why you're fat, you should figure it out soon. Quite possibly you hate *being* fat, which may sound like a trivial distinction, but it's really not. From your last sentence in that paragraph, it sounds like you have some deeper emotional issues you should work through. If you truly hate *you*, losing weight isn't going to fix it.

If you haven't already, work out your adjusted BMR and start tracking your calories. There are lots of sites out there for tracking, and it's well worth the effort. There's no need to do keto or any other ridiculous diet. 30 lbs in a month is excessive if you're under 250 lbs because there's no question you're losing muscle as well; stick to a 500-1000 cal deficit and you'll get where you want to be in a decent amount of time without losing a ton of muscle.

Don't cut out cider completely, just have it less often. It's important that you're still reasonably happy with your food intake. Is that something you drink every day? Reduce it to a smaller portion, once every few days. Sugary drinks are bad in general but they can be ok if you balance them out.

REALTHEWILL
Jul 21, 2016
Shaming of any people is wrong no matter what.

-Will

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

The Saurus posted:

alcohol makes a huge difference though, quit drinking and start using some other drug that doesn't contain calories instead. also only drink 0 calorie liquids
It was easier for me to just cut out the food and stick to hard liquor for my caloric needs.

rap music posted:

Or you can do what I do often and just not eat all day long until dinner. And then eat all three meals at once like a giant piece of poo poo but not gain weight because you're at a big calorie deficit for the day.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 16, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

shameful people should be ashamed. shame exists for a reason.

- :biotruths:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

runupon cracker posted:

Are you serious when you say you hate yourself? If so, why? It's not because you're fat (if anything, being fat is a symptom, not a cause). If you don't know why you're fat, you should figure it out soon. Quite possibly you hate *being* fat, which may sound like a trivial distinction, but it's really not. From your last sentence in that paragraph, it sounds like you have some deeper emotional issues you should work through. If you truly hate *you*, losing weight isn't going to fix it.

If you haven't already, work out your adjusted BMR and start tracking your calories. There are lots of sites out there for tracking, and it's well worth the effort. There's no need to do keto or any other ridiculous diet. 30 lbs in a month is excessive if you're under 250 lbs because there's no question you're losing muscle as well; stick to a 500-1000 cal deficit and you'll get where you want to be in a decent amount of time without losing a ton of muscle.

Don't cut out cider completely, just have it less often. It's important that you're still reasonably happy with your food intake. Is that something you drink every day? Reduce it to a smaller portion, once every few days. Sugary drinks are bad in general but they can be ok if you balance them out.

Keto is pretty good dude. After like week one you're not even hungry and broccoli is awesome so you get to eat a lot of that.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Keto is pretty good dude. After like week one you're not even hungry.
That's the nice thing about Keto. Ketosis just kills hunger, you can get by on a thousand calories a day or less and still feel satiated. I think your body just thinks you're starving to death and figures it'd be rude to constantly remind you.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
That Japanese Metabo Law that was mentioned upthread was interesting but the lengths the government had to go to actually enforce compliance was a bit :catstare: . While well intentioned I don't know how I feel about an employer mandating that my spouse/children get medical tests specifically designed to help the employer not have to pay the government money; it sets kind of dangerous precedent.

I'm not surprised it was so effective over there. Needing to get your waistline under 33" or you're fired is probably a strong motivator. But having it happen in a country where obesity (even at its worst) is far lower than the US, in a conformist, homogenous nation with overall healthier cuisine and more people walking to work/school means they probably only really had to put pressure on the people that were statistical outliers.

People are going to claim it would never work in the US because of whiny fatties and all that, but I mainly see the issue from a privacy angle; if your employer could mandate weight loss to that level, they'd have a precedent to mandate a lot of other things. As is, labor laws in most of the US are pretty lovely, and companies like Wal-Mart wouldn't hesitate to find hundreds more excuses to fire someone if they could mandate testing of an employee's family "Oh your kid got diagnosed with Leukemia? Well since our actuaries predict you're going to be a financial drain on the company and unable to keep your attendance regular we're just going to fire you now before it becomes an issue"

I agree that more needs to be done to deal with obesity in the US, but my opinion is that we really need to deal with it on a macro scale. People won't stop doing heroin/trying it in the first place by shaming them/telling them to put the needle down, and along the same lines people are not just going to "put down the fork" because you tell them to or mock them for it.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
heroin doesn't make you fat though i don't get the comparison??

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
The other goon that brought that up did it in response to a question I had about how other countries deal with obesity. It wasn't quite answering the question I asked; I meant more how do they deal with it socially. For example, in the US obesity is very common, fat people are an easy target because they are all over the place and it isn't hard for a goon to find a strawman fatty to base their horrible attitudes on. People also compare us to much thinner countries where they don't have as many fat people.

So those thinner countries, like Japan (which I initially mentioned), France, or say, uh, Scandanavia in general (they seem pretty slender and blonde up there); they have a different lifestyle which keeps their weight a healthy level; they eat healthier and get better exercise and have at least two of the three (reasonable work hours, excellent health care, walkable cities). There's still going to be a few fat people, and I was wondering how they were treated in these other countries were obesity is rare. Are they mocked worse than fat people in the US, because its more unusual to be fat in those other places? Are they treated with more sympathy and respect? Are they pariahs?

Even in the US I very rarely see Chinese/Japanese-American women that are fat (Filipinos are a different story). There's obviously cultural pressure not to be bigger if being fat isn't genetic as people claim.

So what's happening here?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

The Saurus posted:

heroin doesn't make you fat though i don't get the comparison??

Food addiction is parallel to drug addiction. The things that don't work for one don't work for the other.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

LordArgh posted:

shits that just slide out and require no wipes are the best.

i call em phantom shits

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

could do like this one person I know and eat a lot less and do a lot of speed, then start eating normal and stop the speed and maintain your new hot weight

plus you get to take speed

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

exethan posted:

i call em phantom shits

One-wipe-wonders

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Panfilo posted:

The other goon that brought that up did it in response to a question I had about how other countries deal with obesity. It wasn't quite answering the question I asked; I meant more how do they deal with it socially. For example, in the US obesity is very common, fat people are an easy target because they are all over the place and it isn't hard for a goon to find a strawman fatty to base their horrible attitudes on. People also compare us to much thinner countries where they don't have as many fat people.

So those thinner countries, like Japan (which I initially mentioned), France, or say, uh, Scandanavia in general (they seem pretty slender and blonde up there); they have a different lifestyle which keeps their weight a healthy level; they eat healthier and get better exercise and have at least two of the three (reasonable work hours, excellent health care, walkable cities). There's still going to be a few fat people, and I was wondering how they were treated in these other countries were obesity is rare. Are they mocked worse than fat people in the US, because its more unusual to be fat in those other places? Are they treated with more sympathy and respect? Are they pariahs?

Even in the US I very rarely see Chinese/Japanese-American women that are fat (Filipinos are a different story). There's obviously cultural pressure not to be bigger if being fat isn't genetic as people claim.

to answer your question, no. overprivileged, willfully obtuse, and gluttonous people are not treated with more sympathy and respect in other countries

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

People are going to claim it would never work in the US because of whiny fatties and all that, but I mainly see the issue from a privacy angle; if your employer could mandate weight loss to that level, they'd have a precedent to mandate a lot of other things.

My (USA) employer (USA) already has programs that request weight, height, waist circumference, A1c, blood pressure, cholesterol, and nicotine tests. Every year when it rolls around you hear the fats complain about 'privacy' while carrying around cell phones, using Facebook, and the like.

It's not a mandate as it's given as discounts against the standard insurance rates. Everyone pays $X and you get discounts for each one of the above measurements that you hit the target. Saves me about $1,000/yr.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Zahgaegun posted:

My (USA) employer (USA) already has programs that request weight, height, waist circumference, A1c, blood pressure, cholesterol, and nicotine tests. Every year when it rolls around you hear the fats complain about 'privacy' while carrying around cell phones, using Facebook, and the like.

It's not a mandate as it's given as discounts against the standard insurance rates. Everyone pays $X and you get discounts for each one of the above measurements that you hit the target. Saves me about $1,000/yr.

my employer has most of those, but we're at least on the honor system about whether we smoke or not.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I've heard that reality shows might not be entirely unscripted and real, but idk

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Stupid people definitely dont watch shows like that to feel better about themselves/feel angry about someone being fat so I cant imagine any reason why the je.. producer would make poo poo up to please the target audience

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

God drat reality show producers trying to create a link between diet and exercise and body composition that doesn't exist just to please bigots.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Carmant posted:

Stupid people definitely dont watch shows like that to feel better about themselves/feel angry about someone being fat so I cant imagine any reason why the je.. producer would make poo poo up to please the target audience
I certainly feel better about myself knowing people like you are out there frothing at the mouth when confronted with reality. It's loving hilarious.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Bum the Sad posted:

Or you can do what I do often and just not eat all day long until dinner. And then eat all three meals at once like a giant piece of poo poo but not gain weight because you're at a big calorie deficit for the day.

thats actually a terrible way to do it. Eating once daily typically makes your body think you are conservation mode so you hold on to more of what you eat. If you are managing to maintain a weight or lose weight while eating like this you would probably have way more success by eating in properly spaced intervals.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I have combined eating small meals throughout the day with eating a big meal once a day. Best of both worlds. I'll keep the thread informed on how well it works.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I like to make fun of fat people because it makes me feel better about my own weight, of which I am insecure. I am of average build and could probably stand to lose twenty pounds.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

That's right up there with the "don't eat before bed" in Not True. Don't eat too much food that's it, that's all it really really is. The rest is all about dealing with the stupid human brain tricking itself.

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."

Fat Shat Sings posted:

thats actually a terrible way to do it. Eating once daily typically makes your body think you are conservation mode so you hold on to more of what you eat. If you are managing to maintain a weight or lose weight while eating like this you would probably have way more success by eating in properly spaced intervals.

Truth.

I basically starved myself for a year when financially I was in a tough spot in order to ensure my wife and kids had food to eat. I lost 80 lbs which was great, but as soon as we got back on our feet and I went back to eating regularly I gained half of it back in like 3 months. It took the rest of the year to level the gently caress out and get back to normal.

Don't starve yourself, it works in the short term but it's really not a viable solution for weight loss.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Panfilo posted:

This is kinda interesting! I was poking around looking for obesity stats for the US regarding ethnicity/income/etc, and I came across a CDC brief - NCHS Data Brief - Obesity and Socioeconomic Status in Adults: United States, 2005–2008. What I found was weirdly surprising, as follows:

CDC Obesity and Socioeconomic Status Study posted:

The relationship between obesity and socioeconomic status differs by sex and race and ethnicity group. Among women, and specifically non-Hispanic white women, obesity prevalence increases as income (PIR) decreases, while among non-Hispanic black and Mexican-American men obesity prevalence decreases as income (PIR) decreases. Although the prevalence of obesity among women with income below 130% of the poverty level is higher than among those with higher incomes, most obese women do not have incomes below 130% of the poverty level. Among men and women with a college degree, the prevalence of obesity is lower than among those with some college education. There is no significant trend between obesity and education among men. However, college educated women are less likely to be obese compared with those with less than a high school diploma. Between 1988–1994 and 2005–2008 the prevalence of obesity increased in adults at all levels of income and education.

It must boil down to cultural and social reasons explaining the differences but it is really kind of weird. White women get fatter as they get poorer, while non-white women get thinner; non-hispanic black and mexican american men get fatter as they get richer, white men just get fatter regardless of income or education.

And in general, everyone gets fatter.

I was trying to find some good stats on obesity related comorbidities, hospitalization time and quality of life metrics, but jesus it's some awful stuff. Also treatment options are so different between socalized medicare countries and the US that it's not really easy to compare studies from various national sources.

But it is universally grim reading, regardless of origin.

Edit: (omg!)

I found some cool data that shows just how much less fat asian people are: They only make up 11% of the overweight and obese population, and then only 2.5% of the Obese II and 1% of the Obese III.

Overweight and Obese
Obesity Grade II and III

Blitter fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 16, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I try to eat a few small meals throughout the day as I find it keeps me from starving and then gorging myself with like 3000 calories at once.

I just make sure to also eat large meals in between the small meals

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Or just do steroids

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
That dude eats a shitload of cod. I've seen the numbers.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Fat Shat Sings posted:

If you guys are going to make fun of fat people you should at least know something about nutrition, because everything u just said is complete bullshit

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

that's his cheat day

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Blitter posted:

This is kinda interesting! I was poking around looking for obesity stats for the US regarding ethnicity/income/etc, and I came across a CDC brief - NCHS Data Brief - Obesity and Socioeconomic Status in Adults: United States, 2005–2008. What I found was weirdly surprising, as follows:

It must boil down to cultural and social reasons explaining the differences but it is really kind of weird. White women get fatter as they get poorer, while non-white women get thinner; non-hispanic black and mexican american men get fatter as they get richer, white men just get fatter regardless of income or education.

And in general, everyone gets fatter.

I was trying to find some good stats on obesity related comorbidities, hospitalization time and quality of life metrics, but jesus it's some awful stuff. Also treatment options are so different between socalized medicare countries and the US that it's not really easy to compare studies from various national sources.

But it is universally grim reading, regardless of origin.

Cool, thanks for the data. I've heard anecdotes (though admittedly not data) about how in some cultures, like african american communities, where there is less of a stigma about women being heavier, and it is used to explain why african american women tend to be more obese as they get older (less social pressure to be thin). I've asked people about the pressures to be thinner in some cultures but haven't gotten very straight answers. I wasn't raised in chinese american household so I don't know what it is like for a girl in that household struggling with her weight, whether it is harder (because of being shamed into being the 'correct' weight) or easier (raised with better eating and exercise habits that make staying healthy second nature).

Filipinos and pacific islanders in general seem to skew heavier as well, and we also see some racial groups far more prone to diabetes (even at the same level of obesity) as other races. So perhaps there is more of a genetic component than people give credit, though obviously its not as simplistic as "Gets fat no matter what".

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

yes, eating one meal a day causes your body to ignore the laws of thermodynamics

eating one meal a day is dumb, but it has nothing to do with "conservation mode" which is almost* completely bullshit.

*your body can go into a starvation mode after prolonged significant calorie reduction, but it involves reducing unnecessary body movement (like fidgeting) and not "holding on" to calories

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Panfilo posted:

Cool, thanks for the data. I've heard anecdotes (though admittedly not data) about how in some cultures, like african american communities, where there is less of a stigma about women being heavier, and it is used to explain why african american women tend to be more obese as they get older (less social pressure to be thin).

Filipinos and pacific islanders in general seem to skew heavier as well, and we also see some racial groups far more prone to diabetes (even at the same level of obesity) as other races. So perhaps there is more of a genetic component than people give credit, though obviously its not as simplistic as "Gets fat no matter what".

You're welcome! It would be cool to find some studies that looked at diet and lifestyle correlated with the racial component but I would be really surprised if it was anything more than diet and social norms. I mean, samoans went from being fit to the fattest nation in the world currently, mostly because they ate enormous quantities of "pope's noses"

So ease of availability of unhealthy food, and societal norms?

[also, I updated my previous posts with some neat tables of obesity percentages in various ethnic groups]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
"starvation mode" is a myth

• Locked thread