Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Are players usually satisfied with the prospect of starting one year . Or do they want to play all three years. Or does it depend.

Like how can Alabama recruit 4 different ***** rbs. Do they tell them they will play at least one year ?

Depends. Alabama recruits on the idea that you'll spend a couple years developing, be an All American, and then go to the NFL. Lesser schools sell you on the idea of playing time right away. Schools in the middle do a mix of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Are players usually satisfied with the prospect of starting one year . Or do they want to play all three years. Or does it depend.

Like how can Alabama recruit 4 different ***** rbs. Do they tell them they will play at least one year ?

people who are that good at football think they can win the starting job

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

people who are that good at football think they can win the starting job

Saban's ability to keep them all together and motivated when they don't is one of the things that makes him such an amazing coach.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Thoguh posted:

Saban's ability to keep them all together and motivated when they don't is one of the things that makes him such an amazing coach.

Yep. And it doesn't come along often. Carroll was the same way. He'd recruit 5* qbs every year with no concerns about depth chart. Meyer has been able to do that at OSU as well, even though he couldn't quite hold it together at UF at QB

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

General Dog posted:

I think the Gator self-loathing is clouding your judgement.

Probably.

quote:

If 11-1 OSU is in, 12-1 Bama is in no questions asked.

This kinda sucks imo because it seems more like the NFL where teams clinch a playoff spot early, and then rest their starters at the end of the regular season- which makes those games meaningless. What makes CFB great is its regular season. Although I guess Bama could rest their starters and still win.

LeeMajors posted:

Yep. And it doesn't come along often. Carroll was the same way. He'd recruit 5* qbs every year with no concerns about depth chart. Meyer has been able to do that at OSU as well, even though he couldn't quite hold it together at UF at QB

drat I still think about the alternate universe where Cam Newton doesn't steal that loving laptop and UF has back to back GOAT college QBs. :allears:

Maybe another title? Maybe Urbz would have never left?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Alabama also pays its players better than any other school.

I just dream that Bama gets beat by Florida. I don't know how it happens, but its what I want most in this world.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just dream that Bama gets beat by Florida. I don't know how it happens, but its what I want most in this world.

I was talking to a former Bama walk-on a few months ago. He was there from Saban's first (alleged*) NC season in 2009, through the exploderation of Notre Dame after the 2012 season. I asked him how crazy it was in terms of players getting mad paid, and he claimed it was relatively minor. According to him, boosters and fans at Bama would hook players up with things like iPods, clothes, and a little walking around money here and there, but he wasn't aware of anyone getting big stacks or really high dollar items. He was emphatic that Ole Miss was basically giving every player a solid gold lambo and a six-figure salary, though.

*I'm pretty sure Colt McCoy actually played his best game ever and led Texas to an easy victory

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

an adult beverage posted:

This kinda sucks imo because it seems more like the NFL where teams clinch a playoff spot early, and then rest their starters at the end of the regular season- which makes those games meaningless. What makes CFB great is its regular season. Although I guess Bama could rest their starters and still win.

Won't be a big deal because usually teams drop 1 game before the Conference title game in which case they usually can't tank it, and I think teams just want the conference trophy in it's own right. Bama will pass UF in SEC titles after they win this week, I am sure they want to be #1 in SEC titles.

I think the BCS era was the worst offender of letting teams lose in to a title shot, the computers don't care about when a team loses so teams would get killed in the Big 12 title game and then still play for the BCS championship. Happened with Nebraska and Colorado iirc, and I think it happened with OU and KSU.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I think the BCS era was the worst offender of letting teams lose in to a title shot, the computers don't care about when a team loses so teams would get killed in the Big 12 title game and then still play for the BCS championship. Happened with Nebraska and Colorado iirc, and I think it happened with OU and KSU.

Colorado - Nebraska in 2001 was the last game of the regular season, both were in the North. Nebraska didn't end up even winning the division because of the loss, but ended up making the National Championship anyway because like six other teams got beaten between then and bowl selection.

I don't remember any time when somebody lost their CCG and made it to the BCS championship game. To the contrary, the CCG knocked the Big 12 favorite out of the National Championship game three times in a six-year run:
-1998: KSU upset by A&M
-2001: Texas upset by Colorado (the same CU that upset Nebraska the week before. Joel Klatt went super saiyan for two weeks for some reason)
-2003: OU upset by KSU (the Darren Sproles game)

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 1, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

I was talking to a former Bama walk-on a few months ago. He was there from Saban's first (alleged*) NC season in 2009, through the exploderation of Notre Dame after the 2012 season. I asked him how crazy it was in terms of players getting mad paid, and he claimed it was relatively minor. According to him, boosters and fans at Bama would hook players up with things like iPods, clothes, and a little walking around money here and there, but he wasn't aware of anyone getting big stacks or really high dollar items. He was emphatic that Ole Miss was basically giving every player a solid gold lambo and a six-figure salary, though.

*I'm pretty sure Colt McCoy actually played his best game ever and led Texas to an easy victory

I always figure that players getting paid happens everywhere, but the second tier schools are where it happens the worst. Though I also figure pretty much every player will claim it doesn't happen at their school but it happens everywhere else.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

Speaking of which, who is Ohio State's QB next year? We've had nothing but Braxton Miller - JT Barrett for as long as I can remember.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Komet posted:

Speaking of which, who is Ohio State's QB next year? We've had nothing but Braxton Miller - JT Barrett for as long as I can remember.

JT Barrett

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
then joe burrow who has looked far more impressive in the pass game than jt

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
I hope Burrow beats him out in the offseason for the starting spot.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Alabama should crush them. No mercy.

Sweep the leg. :colbert:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

All Urban Meyer QBs are actually bad at QBing

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MyStereoHasMono posted:

I hope Burrow beats him out in the offseason for the starting spot.

There's no chance this happens but there's a very good chance that it should.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I always figure that players getting paid happens everywhere, but the second tier schools are where it happens the worst. Though I also figure pretty much every player will claim it doesn't happen at their school but it happens everywhere else.

Super successful schools, especially traditional powerhouses, have no reason to play their players. People go play for those schools or coaches like Meyer and Saban because they see NFL dollar signs in their eyes for the most part. Either that, or they just want to play for a winner.

The teams who suddenly get good out of of nowhere over a season or two are definitely the ones to keep an eye on. I am also convinced Ole Miss was showering people in bundles of cash

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bama could rest their starters on defense and play their starters on offense (which is usually who needs game reps more) and still beat us like 21-2.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

vyst posted:

Bama could rest their starters on defense and play their starters on offense (which is usually who needs game reps more) and still beat us like 21-2.

no way you get a safety on jalen hurts you homer

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Scionix posted:

What happens if you block a field goal and it flies all the way out the back of the kicking team's endzone?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Scionix posted:

Jalen Hurts is not a good quarterback and only slightly less retarded than the stable at UF

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

vyst posted:

Jalen Hurts is not a good quarterback and only slightly less retarded than the stable at UF

ahhhhhhh

*checks notes*

says here he's good, and also my friend

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Jalen is developing at a non astronomical rate and that worries me

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Dude's a freshman, I wouldn't worry too much.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Raku posted:

Jalen is developing at a non astronomical rate and that worries me

we're only gonig to win the national championship wtf!!!!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

All Urban Meyer QBs are actually bad at QBing

Tebow vs FSU

48/80 (68.6%) 668yds 9TD/0INT

44 rushes 259yds 5TD.

Seems pretty good to me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hurts isn't a very good passer yet but he doesn't gently caress up a ton and creates a few big plays a game with his legs and that's really all Bama needs out of him.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Noctone posted:

Dude's a freshman, I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't foresee him becoming a better Cam or something in 3 more years. You'll probably get about as much out of him this year as any but as was said, as long as he doesn't gently caress up he doesn't need to be a phenom.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LeeMajors posted:

Tebow vs FSU

48/80 (68.6%) 668yds 9TD/0INT

44 rushes 259yds 5TD.

Seems pretty good to me.

FSU sucks

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It's total bullshit that John Reid wasn't on the All Big Ten cornerback list, but I guess it's hard to make interceptions because you are such a force as a shut down corner that no one even throws your way any more.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I don't remember any time when somebody lost their CCG and made it to the BCS championship game. To the contrary, the CCG knocked the Big 12 favorite out of the National Championship game three times in a six-year run:
-2003: OU upset by KSU (the Darren Sproles game)

OU actually made the BCS title game this year and lost to LSU. The BCS computers ramped up the conference championship part of things after Nebraska in 2001 but they did it even more after this year.

Also after looking at this game again I kinda miss the days when Bill Snyder could recruit/luck his way into players like Sproles and Ell Roberson. I guess it's only a few years since they had Collin Klein who was a good enough dual threat quarterback, but he was more of a 5 yards a pop guy instead of a home run hitter.

Aaaaand, ok. After checking out his stats I'm looking at Roberson through rose colored glasses, I remember him as a lot better passer than he was.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

OU actually made the BCS title game this year and lost to LSU. The BCS computers ramped up the conference championship part of things after Nebraska in 2001 but they did it even more after this year.

Also after looking at this game again I kinda miss the days when Bill Snyder could recruit/luck his way into players like Sproles and Ell Roberson. I guess it's only a few years since they had Collin Klein who was a good enough dual threat quarterback, but he was more of a 5 yards a pop guy instead of a home run hitter.

Aaaaand, ok. After checking out his stats I'm looking at Roberson through rose colored glasses, I remember him as a lot better passer than he was.

Ahh, I remembered that National Championship game, I'd forgotten that it was that same year OU got trounced by KSU.

Michael Bishop was probably KSU's best player ever right? Or maybe Martin Gramatica.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Not compared to the rest of Florida and the SEC not named Alabama.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not compared to the rest of Florida and the SEC not named Alabama.

I didn't say FSU was third world tier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I remember a few years back when the SEC was the NFCE of college ball. What happened to the south?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Joe McKnight got shot to death in Louisiana.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Joe McKnight killed in road rage incident

McKnight was the uber-talented USC runningback who was plagued by injuries (and some rules violation stuff).

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I hope the sec sweeps this bowl season cause this reverse circlejerk is getting annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
drat, that McKnight thing is tragic.

• Locked thread