Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Are monsters supposed to be kicking my rear end early in the game? I defeated the blue fire lady after getting to the first town in Gormott and now monsters in the same general area are pretty consistently defeating me, even the ones close to or at my level. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have accessories equipped, I've been buying skills and weapon skills, I'm timing arts correctly on the third hit in each combo. I'm at level 9 but I haven't really been going out of my way to avoid fights so I'm assuming that's a fine level to be at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Hi sorry I'm not combing the thread out of part fear part lazy, but i have two mechanical questions.

When salvaging when is the "right" time to press the button?

Second I dont think i get this combo system entirely. I understand the A button starts an elemental combo but moving to the next teir or level of attack is tripping me up. To combine my party members water attack with my fire, she needs a level two "A" button combo correct? And to advance after that i need a level three "A" button?

Beezel
Mar 13, 2015

Viridiant posted:

Are monsters supposed to be kicking my rear end early in the game? I defeated the blue fire lady after getting to the first town in Gormott and now monsters in the same general area are pretty consistently defeating me, even the ones close to or at my level. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have accessories equipped, I've been buying skills and weapon skills, I'm timing arts correctly on the third hit in each combo. I'm at level 9 but I haven't really been going out of my way to avoid fights so I'm assuming that's a fine level to be at.

The way the game/systems are set up, you are always expected to be rolling around with at least one other party member. That early in Gormott I also gather they don't really expect you to do many of the out of town side quests. Focus on the main story quest because I think they'll be setting you up with a buddy soon.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Tyma posted:

A Super Quick Guide To Big Numbers

There are 14 types of weapon, and each type has it's own auto-attack animation and timing. Each Weapon type has a total of 4 Arts, and you can select which 3 of them are active on the “Enhance Arts” menu.

Landing an auto attack builds up a tiny bit of Meter on all 3 arts, and also the Special Art. When an Art's meter is full, you can cast it. Casting an art in the middle of an attack animation will award a larger amount a larger amount of meter than the auto-attack normally would (this is known in-game as “cancelling an auto-attack”). Casting it during the 'final' attack of the animation cycle will award even more meter again.

-

Driver Combos

Your A button is always Special Art, and inflicts damage based on the element of your weapon. You can activate it as soon as it fills to launch a Level 1 Special Art, or let it continue to build through to Level 3. Once it maxes out at Level 3, the Special meter stops charging, and can only reach Level 4 by standing close enough to your Blade that the umbilical chord connecting you begins to glow.

In Xenoblade 2, BIG NUMBERS are achieved by performing Special Arts in sequence, to create a Driver Combo. If you play as Rex, equip Pyra, and cast a Level 1 Special art. Rex will cast a Fire-based Special Art (called Heat), and begin the combo. You should now see a little table appear in the top right of the screen : The table shows the four possible Driver Combos that the party can now complete.

#1 : Fire – Fire – Fire (Seal Self Destruct)
#2 : Fire – Fire – Earth (Seal Affinity Down)
#3 : Fire – Water – Fire (Seal Self Destruct)
#4 : Fire – Water – Ice (Seal Shackle Blade)

Assuming you have Mia in your party, and few Blades to choose from, Combo #3 is the easiest one to aim for. To pull off this combo, we need to begin with a Fire-based Special Art (which we've done), and follow it up for a Level 2 Special Art (Water), and finish with a Level 3 Special Art (Fire). You'll also see a bar appear in the not right, with the name of the Special Art (in this case, Heat) appearing on it. This bar represents the amount of time you have to cast the next Special Art in the combo.

Assuming Mia has her default Blade equipped, her Avatar will pop up in the middle of the screen, along with the name of a Special Art. This means she wants to cast that Special Art in order to continue the combo, and is currently trying to build meter, in order to cast it. When she has enough meter, an “LZ” or “RZ” button prompt will appear next to her name. Pressing the relevant button will cast her Special Art, and continue the combo.

If all goes well, the Heat bar will be replaced by a new bar representing the spell Mia cast, and the table in the top-right will change, to show that Combo #1 and Combo #2 are off the table, and the party needs to cast a Fire or Ice Special Art, in order to pull off a Driver Combo. In theory, Rex should be able to build up a Level 3 or Level 4 meter in time, and can use that to cast 'Steam Explosion', and make BIG NUMBERS appear.

Your party members won't blow their Special Arts until you tell them to, but if at any point you cast a Special Art which is too low-level to advance the combo, then it just won't advance, and you'll have to start again from scratch.

Whenever a party member's avatar pops up in the relevant spot on-screen, it means they have the correct Blade equipped to perform the next stage of a possible Driver Combo, and the ZL/ZR prompt means they have enough bar to execute the Special Art right now. If the avatar isn't showing, then it means the weapon they currently have equipped cannot participate in the current combo. When you have no combo currently on-going, they should both pop up on-screen, and you can actually use the ZL/ZR buttons to command them to cast Level 1 Special Arts, in order to begin completely different Driver Combos. As the game gets going, the possibilities become ridiculous, and the bonus effects associated with each Driver combo (such as sealing arts) becomes a really big deal.

I lied and read a bit of thread and gently caress me if this doesnt belong in the OP.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ConanThe3rd posted:

Idle Animation?

Yep!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone know off-hand what the correct recipe number is for making Serenade at the Rumbletum Canteen?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Moochewmoo posted:

I lied and read a bit of thread and gently caress me if this doesnt belong in the OP.

I added it just now. I didn't see it before cause I was trying to avoid day 1 spoilers with the thread.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

I added it just now. I didn't see it before cause I was trying to avoid day 1 spoilers with the thread.

Awesome! Also strong work on the OP i know they're very time consuming.

I figure I'll ask my follow up here about QTE timing. Do i want to be inside the darker outer circle, in the middle of both the light and the dark, or in the middle of the lighter circle for salvaging and special attack bonuses?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Ahaha The tea heart to heart

Tora you lovable weeb

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Neat. Chapter 4 menu feature: In Merc Group, if you set a rare Blade as the team leader they use a unique team name instead of Team <name of common blade>. I have Finch in the lead and the team is called the Albatrojans.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 3, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Good Lord Vanham or whatever his name is has some bad writing

Least I finally got chain attacks unlocked. Very freaking cool.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The story opens up after Chapter 3.

Question for folks who have reached chapter 4, Whats Hikari's aka Homura/Pyra's name in English?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ntan1 posted:

The story opens up after Chapter 3.

Question for folks who have reached chapter 4, Whats Hikari's aka Homura/Pyra's name in English?

Mythra

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Good Lord Vanham or whatever his name is has some bad writing

Least I finally got chain attacks unlocked. Very freaking cool.

Vandham's a fuckin' true-blue Aussie and his writing is proper okker, mate. I'm honestly impressed the dub writers went all-out with proper aussie slang to go with the english VA's accent.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ciaphas posted:

In voice related matters, turns out Game narration volume is what you use to silence the battle chatter, not Battle narration. Unfortunately(?) Game narration is tied to e.g. traveling, collection, post-battle, etc. So what is Battle narration? :shrug:

Still have yet to play, is it possible to mute the battle VA but leave it on for cutscenes and such?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Malos looks EXACTLY like the Chad from the virgin/Chad meme and it's loving killing me

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nia is my main healer, but I still gave her a Tank blade for offensive skills (swapped out the one aggro skill) and element variety. Extra healing is never bad and Kora is one of the few electric blades I have. Also rares have way more affinity slots so you're just leaving benefits on the table otherwise.

The only thing I've been wondering about this is how much the class effects factor in. If (for example) Rex has 3 ATK blades then he gets 3 arrows in his "increase damage" class effect. If you switch one out for something else then you lose an arrow in that but gain 1 arrow in whatever other class effects. What I don't know is how significant that modifier is and whether that outweighs the potential extra affinity slots (from rare vs common) and other utility from mixing up the types, but it's something to consider.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
How much important dialogue will i miss using japanese VA outside subtitled cutscenes?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

cathead posted:

The only thing I've been wondering about this is how much the class effects factor in. If (for example) Rex has 3 ATK blades then he gets 3 arrows in his "increase damage" class effect. If you switch one out for something else then you lose an arrow in that but gain 1 arrow in whatever other class effects. What I don't know is how significant that modifier is and whether that outweighs the potential extra affinity slots (from rare vs common) and other utility from mixing up the types, but it's something to consider.

Since it doesn't really surface a number, I haven't really cared to be honest. I've been rolling with Rex as a Wild Cavalier (2 ATK and 1 HLR), Nia as a Holy Cavalier (2 HLR and 1 ATK) with Tora as TNK and I feel I'm putting out a good chunk of damage all the while staying topped up on health easily.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Do any of the party members come close to being as cool as Melia btw.

It just dawned on me that I haven't unlocked a single dropkick yet and it's bumming me out

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Since it doesn't really surface a number, I haven't really cared to be honest. I've been rolling with Rex as a Wild Cavalier (2 ATK and 1 HLR), Nia as a Holy Cavalier (2 HLR and 1 ATK) with Tora as TNK and I feel I'm putting out a good chunk of damage all the while staying topped up on health easily.

I did some basic testing with an ATK rare (wulfric) vs a HLR rare (adenine) on Rex with the same tier of weapon, with the other two Blades being ATK. Just eyeballing damage numbers I lost maybe 70-80 damage off the autoattack? It went from 300ish to like 220-230. So it's definitely there but considering all the other damage modifiers and multipliers it's probably not a massive difference in the end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For those that have gotten up to Chapter 4, I think we need to have a serious discussion about the most important part of the early stretch of it;

Dromarch wears an adorable sleeping cap in bed :allears:.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For those that have gotten up to Chapter 4, I think we need to have a serious discussion about the most important part of the early stretch of it;

Dromarch wears an adorable sleeping cap in bed :allears:.

I fumbled my Pro controller trying to snap a pic of it because I was half in awe and half laughing. Though it's probably in the Event Viewer anyway.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's really loving me up that I can't get Pyra to wear that adorable hoodie from the first big town you go to instead of her default outfit.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

cathead posted:

I did some basic testing with an ATK rare (wulfric) vs a HLR rare (adenine) on Rex with the same tier of weapon, with the other two Blades being ATK. Just eyeballing damage numbers I lost maybe 70-80 damage off the autoattack? It went from 300ish to like 220-230. So it's definitely there but considering all the other damage modifiers and multipliers it's probably not a massive difference in the end.

Do they affect your stats on level up as well?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zelder posted:

Malos looks EXACTLY like the Chad from the virgin/Chad meme and it's loving killing me

Hell, Akhos looks dead-on like the virgin from that meme.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Little details in this game, man. Poppy blindly running up against the locked hangar door on the battleship was incredible. I can't believe there's no Switch video capture for this game.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
One thing I really hate about the game is if you get a really good blade but it's on the wrong character. Rex could really use a good tank but he got Dagas as his first rare (axe attacker) while Nia got Electra (lightning tank). I want them to swap blades but apparently Overdrives are the rarest item in the game.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Just got this guy from a common on Nia as my... fourth? rare. He's a Healer too so that's pretty cool with me, we'll see how he works out for her.

I'm a ways into Chapter 3 now with ~18 hours played and so far I've gotten Godfrey, Boreas (that fatty up there), Dagas and Floren. I could actually talk to some random guy earlier with a like... trophy cup over his head and Floren said something to him and then nothing happened? I'm not sure what that was all about but I guess some rares actually open up sidequests or additional dialog options or something?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I got perceval on Rex with my first core outside the tutorial (so my second core).

:toot: I guess?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Out of my 3 rare cubes I've only gotten 1 actual rare blade

Nothing from the commons either. I'm almost tempted to reset the entire game because I feel genuinely ripped off lol.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Has it been confirmed that luck increases chances of getting a better blade from cores, or is it just for landing/resisting debuffs as the tutorial explained?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't one of the (lovely) tutorials straight up say that luck affects getting uniques?

Two questions:
What does left on the D-pad do during combat? My best guess is it focuses everyone on Rex's target?
Does changing the time affect the tide or do I have to rest at an inn?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Andrast posted:

I got perceval on Rex with my first core outside the tutorial (so my second core).

:toot: I guess?

I got him just after finishing up the Dughall boss and this game even makes getting dumb sword doods amazing :allears: even if their names are now conflaited with dumb books.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Oh my god. I take back everything I said about this game not being all that anime. This game is maximum anime. Of multiple genres. At once. In one of the greatest, silliest boss fights ever to grace a serious RPG.

This game gets sooooo freaking good.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Common cores are pretty easy to find, so the best way of getting rares is just stock pile enough and whale away. All 6 of the rare cores I've found were generics but the 30 some odd commons I used two were rares.

Apparently you can get KOS-MOS from a common core but I don't believe that.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Pyra we're trying to lay low could you maybe not juggle fire in town.

Pyra.

Pyra please.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When I do QTE's, am I aiming for the outer circle or the inner one? It isn't very clear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Ephraim posted:

One thing I really hate about the game is if you get a really good blade but it's on the wrong character. Rex could really use a good tank but he got Dagas as his first rare (axe attacker) while Nia got Electra (lightning tank). I want them to swap blades but apparently Overdrives are the rarest item in the game.

You can get a one-use item in treasure chests called an Overdrive that lets you swap Drivers for a Blade.

bizarre deformity posted:

When I do QTE's, am I aiming for the outer circle or the inner one? It isn't very clear.

Neither. You're aiming for the brighter section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Out of all the bad anime tropes that anime has, a character acts like the world is one big stage play and all his metaphors and analogies are about stage plays is my least favorite, why do they keep doing thjat