Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ka0 posted:

May I ask, how the SRW games integrate all the different universes stuff? Because I only know a bit of the OGs I've been wondering about it. Is it a "magic gate opened and the after war/correct century/after colony gang came over to the UC" situation or do the SRW games have dedicated writers who keep a canon bible of events?

There's a few different approaches they do.

2/3/4 are a single continuity and universe, and F/Final is basically an alternate telling of 4 as I understand it.

The Alpha series is a single world and universe. This becomes increasingly strained over time as they keep integrating newer things into the same setting—They had a nicely integrated Earth in Alpha 1 with the colonies and various super robot labs and aliens all coexisting, but then in Alpha 3 they introduce Gundam SEED with a completely new race of genetically engineered beings (Coordinators) whose existence and home colonies just never came up in conversation in previous games, not to mention Alpha 2 with the Brain Powered plot and Orphan.

The Z series decided to future-proof against this problem by using Orguss's Space/Time Oscillation Bomb as a plot device to literally mash multiple settings together in a single disjointed world where one corner could be regular Earth, one corner could be post-apocalyptic, and so on. It became especially ridiculous in Z2 when their solution to multiple shows set in Japan with radically different settings was to just have two separately existing Japans on the same mishmash Earth, one for Mazinger and one for Code Geass.

In V, they did a story that involved three separate realities in which the Earth and space played home to different series. So you'd go between Earth 1, Earth 2, and Earth 3. In X, they had this same conceit in the background writing, but it was largely glossed over by virtue of everybody from these Earths all coexisting in the same isekai setting of Al-Warth (except Buddy Complex, which still somehow got its own completely separate fourth Earth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ka0 posted:

May I ask, how the SRW games integrate all the different universes stuff? Because I only know a bit of the OGs I've been wondering about it. Is it a "magic gate opened and the after war/correct century/after colony gang came over to the UC" situation or do the SRW games have dedicated writers who keep a canon bible of events?

To expand on what Caphi said, here's an example of how the series in V fit together, as it's three separate universes in that game;

New Correct Century
Protagonist OG units & characters
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Crossbone Gundam

Anno Domini
Gundam 00
Gundam SEED Destiny
Martian Successor Nadesico
Zambot 3
Daitarn 3
Might Gaine
Cross Ange

Universal Century
Zeta Gundam
ZZ Gundam
Char's Counterattack
Unicorn
Hathaway's Flash
Shin Mazinger
Getter Robo Armageddon
Full Metal Panic
Rebuild of Evangelion

And yes the fact that the first universe has the Gundam series from the third universe as part of it's past is a plot point of some importance in the game

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Thanks for the breakdown, I was wondering how the Seed colonies would work next to the UC Side colonies at the same time, notwithstanding the way other stories treat Earth and close planets.

Which SRW is the one where Kira Yamato goes around trying to stop people from fighting and everybody is just shrugging him off to the point of fighting the drat kid. That sounds hilarious.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zore posted:

It depends heavily game to game. Usually a bunch of series do end up sharing the same universe at least with modifications to their backstories to accommodate. Alpha Gaiden for instance has Gundam X and Turn A taking place at the same time in different parts of the world (massively extending the time between the backstory war to main plot in X from 7 years to hundreds of years) while a bunch of the UC is thrown into the future to interact with them. X has ZZ, Char's counterattack and F91 happening concurrently while Crossbone gets pulled in from the future. Another world in X has Wing, Dunbine and Code Geass combined into a glorious clusterfuck of ridiculous bullshit.

V did some neat stuff where you had F91 and Crossbone taking place centuries after the rest of the UC and then they cross dimensions and run into UC suits from Z, ZZ, and Unicorn roughly on par because of Full Metal Panic!

Didnt V also note that the F91/XBone people noticed that while their suits should be leagues ahead of Z/ZZ, theyre not? Like tech was different in this universe?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

KoB posted:

Didnt V also note that the F91/XBone people noticed that while their suits should be leagues ahead of Z/ZZ, theyre not? Like tech was different in this universe?

Yep.

That was, as it turned out, Kaname Chidori's fault. Full Metal Panic's whispered deal was in play in that universe, and Black Technology meant that mech technology advanced much faster.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

KoB posted:

Yeah it plays in heavily to the plot and ties in with Full Metal Panic!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ka0 posted:

Thanks for the breakdown, I was wondering how the Seed colonies would work next to the UC Side colonies at the same time, notwithstanding the way other stories treat Earth and close planets.

Which SRW is the one where Kira Yamato goes around trying to stop people from fighting and everybody is just shrugging him off to the point of fighting the drat kid. That sounds hilarious.

that might be z1? there's at least one mission in that one where the SR point involves killing enough enemies where kira shows up as a neutral unit and gets in the way of that by also killing enemies (plotwise he's just disabling their mechs)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Isn't Z1 the one where NPC Kira shows up with permanent Mercy, which means that all he's really doing is leaving whoever it is both operational and prone to get blown up by the next enemy who glances at them (this may or may not be intentional)?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Brother Entropy posted:

that might be z1? there's at least one mission in that one where the SR point involves killing enough enemies where kira shows up as a neutral unit and gets in the way of that by also killing enemies (plotwise he's just disabling their mechs)

Oh god that sounds like a nightmare. There's a stage in MD where you get to use Sally and Sieg for the first time and you have to destroy everything before the earth federation robots get to them and the SR point is nearly impossible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A no-upgrade run in Z is actually really fun, except for the stage where you fight Destroy Gundam and it's basically RNG because it depends entirely on AI Kira dodging enough.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Late on this but if you enjoyed G Gundam I'd highly suggest checking out Imagawa's other mecha shows. G Gundam is really good, and also his worst show.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I love Getter Robo: Armageddon to bits, but it's not better than G Gundam.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

One of the things I really like about V is that none of it's shows are in isolation*, they all tie into at least one other series on their respective worlds in some notable fashion

*unlike for example how Gundam SEED barely ties into anything else in J

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

I love Getter Robo: Armageddon to bits, but it's not better than G Gundam.

To be fair, Imagawa only worked on the first three episodes of Armageddon

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah imagawa doesn't deserve being attached to the 'kinda weak adapation to already weak getter robo go' that armageddon becomes after his episodes

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Droyer posted:

Late on this but if you enjoyed G Gundam I'd highly suggest checking out Imagawa's other mecha shows. G Gundam is really good, and also his worst show.

I love Shin Mazinger Z but at the same time Shin Mazinger Z is easily Imagawa's worst mecha show.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

One of the things I really like about V is that none of it's shows are in isolation*, they all tie into at least one other series on their respective worlds in some notable fashion

*unlike for example how Gundam SEED barely ties into anything else in J

Ugh, SEED made no sense at all in J. Though it did a pretty poor job overall of having different series interact. The best it did was having FMP mooks fighting for Dr Hell at one point. But there were plenty of stages where you'd finish off all of one wave of ZAFT, only for a wave of Radam to show up or something. They never fought against each other or anything.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Honestly the worst SRW that I remember having no cross series stuff is K.

All the plots are put on their own route splits and there isn’t any real character interaction between series. But SEED in Alpha 3 and J was horrendous yeah.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Schwarzwald posted:

I love Shin Mazinger Z but at the same time Shin Mazinger Z is easily Imagawa's worst mecha show.

I was about to say...

Shin Mazinger Z is just all of Imagawa's weaknesses as a writer and a director so every single scene you're going "yup, this is an Imagawa show and also it sucks".

G Gundam is below Giant Robo (best anime of all time) on my personal list, but I'd have to rewatch it to decide how it stands up to Tetsujin #28.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Since my A Portable save got borked, I decided to replay J and yeah it's pretty dumb. Only 4 missions in so far and every stage you get another group expositing their series at you while completely disconnected from everything else. Even minor stuff like finding the Layzner guys on Mars and then go the shelter to get Ines, because it just wouldn't make any sense for the Layzner kids to be staying with the only other Martian survivors, no sir.

On a semi-related note, I used some cheat codes to unlock the Vorlent since I'd never used it before and... Jesus Christ were all the OG units this busted?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
in the interest of compromise let's split the difference and say they're all Imagawa's worst shows and we love watching them anyway

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The best part of Alpha 3 was them constantly proposing that things like the Plant and the construction of various ginormous space things like buster machine 3 were secrets.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alacron posted:

On a semi-related note, I used some cheat codes to unlock the Vorlent since I'd never used it before and... Jesus Christ were all the OG units this busted?

Pretty much, but even so the Vorlent is quite good.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Alacron posted:

Since my A Portable save got borked, I decided to replay J and yeah it's pretty dumb. Only 4 missions in so far and every stage you get another group expositing their series at you while completely disconnected from everything else. Even minor stuff like finding the Layzner guys on Mars and then go the shelter to get Ines, because it just wouldn't make any sense for the Layzner kids to be staying with the only other Martian survivors, no sir.

I really think the only notable crossovers are Gen. Colbert from Tekkaman being in league with Blue Cosmos all game long and the bosses from Zeorymer being fielded with mooks from other series (because they don't have mooks of their own, but still, it counts).

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Caphi posted:

Isn't Z1 the one where NPC Kira shows up with permanent Mercy, which means that all he's really doing is leaving whoever it is both operational and prone to get blown up by the next enemy who glances at them (this may or may not be intentional)?

As stupid as the reasoning was ("Duke Freed, I can't believe this thing I saw about you ON THE INTERNET!, I'm so disillusioned!!!") the actual fight against the "Kira Faction" and the "Shinn Faction" in Z1 was so loving amazing and good.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Vorlent and Granteed are indeed hilariously broken, especially the Vorlent once Orgone Cloud gets running. Granteed is essentially an instant delete button in its own right, but it does take a little bit of a climb to get it running (which was perfectly adapted in Moon Dwellers).

But yes, J does indeed have a case of "lack of series cohesion" that hurts things in the long run. The game is set in the Cosmic Era timeline, yet the G Gundam cast with their nuclear reactor-powered Gundams function just fine. Speaking of which, G Gundam is the one entry that really stands out as not belonging in this world, as many of the characters are introduced as "X from Neo-[Country of Origin]", and the rest of the cast barely blink at this news. Like, nobody raises the question of "Wait, what do you mean by 'Neo-Italy' or 'Neo-England'?" when Chapman and Michelo first appear. They all just shrug and go, "okay, time to fight the weird Gundam dudes". It comes off like G got crowbarred into the plot much later on in development and nobody went back to smooth things out and make things flow better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Vorlent and Granteed are indeed hilariously broken, especially the Vorlent once Orgone Cloud gets running. Granteed is essentially an instant delete button in its own right, but it does take a little bit of a climb to get it running (which was perfectly adapted in Moon Dwellers).

But yes, J does indeed have a case of "lack of series cohesion" that hurts things in the long run. The game is set in the Cosmic Era timeline, yet the G Gundam cast with their nuclear reactor-powered Gundams function just fine. Speaking of which, G Gundam is the one entry that really stands out as not belonging in this world, as many of the characters are introduced as "X from Neo-[Country of Origin]", and the rest of the cast barely blink at this news. Like, nobody raises the question of "Wait, what do you mean by 'Neo-Italy' or 'Neo-England'?" when Chapman and Michelo first appear. They all just shrug and go, "okay, time to fight the weird Gundam dudes". It comes off like G got crowbarred into the plot much later on in development and nobody went back to smooth things out and make things flow better.

I know I mentioned it last time it came up, but the funniest thing about G being in the game for me is that the genetically engineered superhumans whose presence inspired a war... are basically 98 pound weaklings in comparison to the regular human Gundam pilots.

Rain could probably break George Glenn in two with her bare hands.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I know I mentioned it last time it came up, but the funniest thing about G being in the game for me is that the genetically engineered superhumans whose presence inspired a war... are basically 98 pound weaklings in comparison to the regular human Gundam pilots.

Rain could probably break George Glenn in two with her bare hands.
Lest we forget that Master Asia's introduction in the game is him single-handedly beating up the Nadesico's external weapons, then leaping all the way through the air to do the same to the Archangel's weapons. And outside of the shock of Master Asia's feat, no one really asks "Wait, hold up. How in the literal gently caress was that guy able to punch a turret into a pile of scrap with his bare hands?", and just opts to treat Master Asia like he's on par with the other villains the group has fought by that point.

And yes, you the player can make this scene even more hilarious by simply moving the Nadesico and Archangel very far apart from each other.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vorlent has a stronger start than Granteed in J due to starting with Orgone Cloud and iirc having both HP Regen and EN Regen but when you start getting some upgrades and especially once you get Dracodeus Granteed starts pulling ahead thanks to having a better finisher and killing grunts equally well. They're both great choices and head and shoulders above the real originals.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

AradoBalanga posted:

Lest we forget that Master Asia's introduction in the game is him single-handedly beating up the Nadesico's external weapons, then leaping all the way through the air to do the same to the Archangel's weapons. And outside of the shock of Master Asia's feat, no one really asks "Wait, hold up. How in the literal gently caress was that guy able to punch a turret into a pile of scrap with his bare hands?", and just opts to treat Master Asia like he's on par with the other villains the group has fought by that point.

And yes, you the player can make this scene even more hilarious by simply moving the Nadesico and Archangel very far apart from each other.

Listen.

He's the Undefeated of the East. By definition his kung fu is the strongest.

Every single member of the cast instantly understands that this is what happens when your kung fu gets strong enough and know to no longer question it.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Honestly the worst SRW that I remember having no cross series stuff is K.

All the plots are put on their own route splits and there isn’t any real character interaction between series. But SEED in Alpha 3 and J was horrendous yeah.

I couldn't read anything that was going on in Alpha 3 when I played it, and mostly still can't now. Treating it as a smash-my-robot-toys-together simulator was how I got my kicks.

Ignorance is bliss.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Listen.

He's the Undefeated of the East. By definition his kung fu is the strongest.

Every single member of the cast instantly understands that this is what happens when your kung fu gets strong enough and know to no longer question it.

Objection!

He's only the Undefeated of the East. Until he's defeated the champions of North, South, West, and Center, and become SUPER ASIA, his kung fu is not proven to be the strongest, but can only be, at most, assumed to be so.

Otherwise, this logic is solid.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
J also plays SEED disturbingly straight too; poo poo like Kira moping around because he still has his series arc about protecting the Archangel all by himself (which he’s not) still happens.

It gets so bad that characters literally start saying “it’s too depressing on the Archangel, let’s go and bounce over to the Nadesico instead”

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Do Lefina and Cpt. Yurika interact with one another, I always get Yurika vibes off Lefina except for some reason she's strikes me as more competent.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The OG captains were created for the OG games, they're not in anything else.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Using the Vorlent is investing in getting to use the Raftclanz later.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

A few OG characters are pretty heavily inspired by other characters in mecha anime (Ratsel is basically Quattro, Irm is basically Banjou etc) and Lefina and the Hiryu are definitely inspired by Yurika and the Nadesico.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I was thinking about T today and I realized that not a single one of the series that first appeared in X are in the game. That seems like a weird move. Looking at what those series were it kind of makes since, but it just isn't something I'd expect from Banpresto, especially with all the G-Reco sprites they created.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
GGG-Reco
Bebop Complex
Rune God Hero Wataru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Oh man, I've been playing EX and let me tell you, Shu's persuasion dialogue is a hoot.

Quattro: If you won't tell me your goal, how can I trust you?
Shu: I promise I'll return you to the surface world unharmed. And I never break a promise.
Quattro: Checks out. Okay, we're friends now.