Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The only top 10 pick since 2000 to not play a lot their first season was Jake Locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Im here for the AFCe bro club to keep excluding Tua.

https://twitter.com/patspulpit/status/1261771565273878529

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It’s funny how we drafted a QB I really love during a loving pandemic that puts everything in question for 2020 lol

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
No sorry can't relate.

It's like Schroedinger's cat but with slightly less mystery because the poor bastard's been in there for weeks without food or water.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 17, 2020

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1261974712604921856

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ah, drinking and driving in the truest sense.

https://twitter.com/danfetes/status/1262016738138501120?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Gotta be 6 games. Herndon got 4 just for a DUI and this is DUI + Gun.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Part 2 of miamis off season plan is going swimmingly. Now to just ruin the Jets by *checks notes*
[I]reads/i]
😈 making sure Adam Gase stays safe and healthy

Oh

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Two first round draft picks from the same draft class and in the same division getting arrested on gun charges in the same off-season sure is something

Hopefully the gun aspect gets resolved without much craziness like it seems Quinnens charge will be

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 17, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mcmagic posted:

The only top 10 pick since 2000 to not play a lot their first season was Jake Locker.

carson palmer went #1 in 2003 and was a healthy scratch for the bengals all season long, phillip rivers went #4 in 2004 and had a combined 30 pass attempts in 4 games his first two seasons, jamarcus didn’t start until week 13 partially because he missed training camp with a contract holdout but mostly because lane kiffin wanted to bring him along slowly, goff didn’t start until mid november, mahomes was already mentioned, and you yourself mentioned jake locker

so it’s not super common anymore but it’s also not that uncommon to take a qb top 10 and let them sit for a year or two; usually there’s an entrenched starter but sometimes you’ll have a dude sit behind case keenum

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

All top 10 QB picks since 09. Most of them started immediately and probably shouldn't have. Part of the problem is if your drafting in the top 10 your probably lacking a QB anyway and have a ton of holes to fill.

My thought is it's always better to have a QB sit for 3-4 games, and let him get a dead cat bounce when he goes in. It shouldn't be too surprising that of the cream of the crop currently (Mahomes, Jackson, Brees, Rodgers) all sat. I mean if anything this shows that the NFL is either awful at scouting QBs or developing QBs.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

syzpid posted:

All top 10 QB picks since 09. Most of them started immediately and probably shouldn't have. Part of the problem is if your drafting in the top 10 your probably lacking a QB anyway and have a ton of holes to fill.

My thought is it's always better to have a QB sit for 3-4 games, and let him get a dead cat bounce when he goes in. It shouldn't be too surprising that of the cream of the crop currently (Mahomes, Jackson, Brees, Rodgers) all sat. I mean if anything this shows that the NFL is either awful at scouting QBs or developing QBs.

Yeah it'd be great if QB's could sit but it very rarely happens. Ryan Fitzbpatrick is right on the cusp so I could see a Jon Kitna Carson Palmer situation happening.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fitz never follows up his first good year with a team well.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Professor Funk posted:

Hopefully the gun aspect gets resolved without much craziness like it seems Quinnens charge will be

Oliver would be in much deeper legal poo poo if instead of Texas he was in NY.
Still drunk driving really sucks and I'd imagine he's going to be eating a suspension from the league. I'd imagine somewhere between 3-5 games at least.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

pasaluki posted:

Oliver would be in much deeper legal poo poo if instead of Texas he was in NY.
Still drunk driving really sucks and I'd imagine he's going to be eating a suspension from the league. I'd imagine somewhere between 3-5 games at least.

I would guess a 4 game suspension. He’s for sure lucky he’s in Texas. New York he might be facing prison time if the gun was loaded etc.

Speaking of which, the NFL should require teams to do a crash course with rookies (or all players even) about their state gun laws. Especially for players coming to the Northeast from the South who probably have no clue that states can have pretty strict firearm laws and who just assume that the gun they registered in Alabama or wherever is fine to carry around in [pick a state with strict gun laws].

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 17, 2020

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mcmagic posted:

Fitz never follows up his first good year with a team well.

Neither does Gregg Williams.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

Neither does Gregg Williams.

He'll be fine when he takes over as HC midseason.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mcmagic posted:

... drat. Fair enough.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mcmagic posted:

Best case scenario for Jets. Do you root for early disaster? Gase going 4-4 thru the front half keeps his job, teases competency.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

torgeaux posted:

Best case scenario for Jets. Do you root for early disaster? Gase going 4-4 thru the front half keeps his job, teases competency.

start 2-6, gase fired, darnold gets hot and they go 7-1 down the stretch and make it into the wildcard

gregg williams is back baby

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Gregg Williams replaced in 2021 by some slap dick coordinator nobody had ever considered for a Head Coaching in before.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

torgeaux posted:

This is probably the closest to my thinking. Mediocrity is the worst possible outcome.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Mcmagic i have no idea why you think miamis decision making will take into account Fitzs actual on field performance. It won’t. At all.

Only if it hinders the growth of our younger prospects.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'd rather have Fitzpatrick than Dalton as a backup, you can at least kid yourself into believing if you need him to start a playoff game it might not be a disaster.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

let him among us who doesn't drive drunk with that thing on him pop the first shot

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Mcmagic i have no idea why you think miamis decision making will take into account Fitzs actual on field performance. It won’t. At all.

Your rational for sitting him is that A) You're going to hurt his development by playing him or B) You are trying to protect him from getting hurt and I'm telling you that there is really no proof that sitting a QB helps his development and that teams don't sit healthy first round QB's because they are scared of their OL.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You’re literally making up A. I’ve flat out said the opposite. Directly to you!

And yes I’m saying the dolphins will keep him off the field until they’re confident the folks they’ve decided are his offensive line have begun to form a cohesion. So there’s literally zero chance you’ll see him anytime in the first half of the season.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

I'm genuinely baffled by this discussion. If Fitz starts 1-4, the pressure to start Tua will be overwhelming--not just from the fan base, but from the national media, other players, and likely ownership.

There's just no precedent from the last 15 years for a QB drafted in the top 10 to sit out a season behind an old, struggling starter.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I can appreciate it if you’re viewing it solely from a historical point of view but it’s been made so mind numbingly clearly within the Dolphins front office folks what the plan is that I’ll just say it again - if Tua starts before week 8 then our OL is really ahead of schedule or wiw shits gone bad and Rosen’s dead

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

You’re literally making up A. I’ve flat out said the opposite. Directly to you!

And yes I’m saying the dolphins will keep him off the field until they’re confident the folks they’ve decided are his offensive line have begun to form a cohesion. So there’s literally zero chance you’ll see him anytime in the first half of the season.

The surety of the way you say this despite it being something that never happens and you having really no idea if it's true or not is quite something.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The surety of the way you say this despite it being something that never happens and you having really no idea if it's true or not is quite something.

Lol ok sure.

I feel like the folks I talk to have proven their info is pretty reliable but i guess whatever works for you fireman Ed.

Maybe a bet on that 8 week over under you threw out there? Can this be the time you actually fulfill a bet and not disappear?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Lol ok sure.

I feel like the folks I talk to have proven their info is pretty reliable but i guess whatever works for you fireman Ed.

Maybe a bet on that 8 week over under you threw out there? Can this be the time you actually fulfill a bet and not disappear?

I literally win all my bets here so idk what you're talking about. Who are you talking to who is telling you this?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You literally disappeared after you were dead wrong about declaring that Knowshon Moreno wouldnt break 100 yards... and then he hit 200+ his first week.

.. what bets have you won?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

You literally disappeared after you were dead wrong about declaring that Knowshon Moreno wouldnt break 100 yards... and then he hit 200+ his first week.

.. what bets have you won?

Christ that was a long time ago.... It's possible that I was wrong about a player 10 years ago. I don't even have the slightest memory of that but I'm glad you do lol. Didn't I win passing bets on both Tannehill and Josh Allen?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 18, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Let’s make it 2020, you’re right. Week 8. If he starts before you get X, if he doesn’t I get Y. Thoughts on our variables there?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Let’s make it 2020, you’re right. Week 8. If he starts before you get X, if he doesn’t I get Y. Thoughts on our variables there?

I'm really tired of making stupid bets that get forgotten the day after they are made. We'll see who's right. If he's healthy he will play.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So on one hand... you lost a bet that i embarrassingly remember TOO well but on the other hand NOW we shouldn’t make It because people will forget it tomorrow?

Man. That logic. Best of luck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

So on one hand... you lost a bet that i embarrassingly remember TOO well but on the other hand NOW we shouldn’t make It because people will forget it tomorrow?

Man. That logic. Best of luck.

I don't remember him having 200 yards because it never happend heh. What was the bet again? That he wouldn't have 100 yards in a game? He had 14 yards the rest of the season after that game too lol. See why bets are stupid?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoreKn00/gamelog/2014/

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 18, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh yeah it was 146 yards after his first game. Not sure where I got 200+, my super decade long memory must’ve faded. Either way. So you were only kinda wrong not hilariously wrong.

And he was IRd like 3 carries after his first big game so yeah, not a great rest of the year from the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh yeah it was 146 yards after his first game. Not sure where I got 200+, my super decade long memory must’ve faded. Either way. So you were only kinda wrong not hilariously wrong.

And he was IRd like 3 carries after his first big game so yeah, not a great rest of the year from the hospital.

You're the one who brought it up...