Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

azothoth explain yourself

Potato Salad posted:

zuckerberg brained bullshit

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

it will be "fine" in that it won't do anything but hurt the poor

:wrong:

it will also make the rich richer

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I got around to listen to it when I was doing a day hike.

It's a very frank academic view of the Sino-US competition. He straight up said the US is hollowing out the "One China Policy". That's exactly the phrase China diplomatic officials use. That's why the Washington blob doesn't hire or have dialogue with China experts in US academia anymore, because the academic will say it like it is and call the US China policy hypocritical and the State Department can't have that.

The guy was also frank on US trying to contain China. He told a story that when Hilary went to China in 199x, the media asked her, will you raise issue about the oppressed minorities, Hilary answered "no, because it doesn't help". And it got a big fuzz from the media. So the DEM never made the argument of "no it doesn't help" ever since and just pretend they care about foreign minorities.

There is one thing I don't agree with him, around the one hour mark he commented that the Russians have been laying low in the far east because the far east population is vastly smaller than the Chinese and they "let China do whatever they wanted". No this is wrong. The CPC settled all border disputes with Russia under Jiang, since then they have been very careful about expending their influence in far east and in the central asian coutries. China only wanted to expand economic influence and didn't want to touch the Russian political and cultural stakes. Russians historically has been very touchy about border land ownership. One thing China will never do is go around Russia and have military cooperation with other stan countries. This is what the Americans don't get.

That's stupid, why not just pour half the GDP into the military and brutalize the world into doing what you want?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

fanfic insert posted:

:wrong:

it will also make the rich richer

this would happen regardless

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/NPC_Observer/status/1581684361207824384?s=20&t=7YMpTxLUmdGvDPi9QfI_bQ

Someone read this to me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

um... what are they hiding in those 9 untranslated pages???

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Goon Boots posted:

a new way of reading tea leaves
:golfclap:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the new thing now is to talk about China 'indefinitely postponing' the release of GDP etc #s

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

fart simpson posted:

china also has 黑茶 which translates to black tea. they just have more types of tea

this is a cool chart

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Free lollontee

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Antonymous posted:

the new thing now is to talk about China 'indefinitely postponing' the release of GDP etc #s

China's zero GDP strategy is unsustainable imo.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1582101546304561152?s=20&t=sgfr71rulP4wqGkTLVHoUw

Lol :owned:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

I purchased and 100%'d Huniecam so quickly that I still get friends shaming me over it. And I deserve to be shamed. But I did not praise the game. I called it fucked up. That's how fucked up it is: it's up there with Princess Maker as far as poster body counts.
Soiled Meat

AnimeIsTrash posted:

juggalo visiting xinjiang: drat y'all got uyghurs too

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
wait is it genocide denial to know that the CIA tries to foment uigher separatist movements in xinjiang?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-12/xi-s-next-power-play-may-be-age-limits-for-everyone-but-himself

quote:

The requirement that top leaders step down after age 68 has held without exception for two decades, according to a Bloomberg analysis of government data, even though party officials have dismissed the age limit as “folklore.” Hundreds of cadres have been forced to leave the party’s 200-plus member Central Committee in that time, allowing the next generation to take their seats.

quote:

That presents a dilemma. By scrapping the age limit, Xi would lose a neutral selection criteria that has helped three generations of party leaders oust rivals and promote protégés. Enforcing it for everyone but himself -- a scenario that experts view as more likely -- would leave Xi surrounded by a plethora of younger officials who lack his experience at a time when China faces a range of challenges, including rising tensions with the US over Taiwan, a slowing economy and a spiraling property crisis. 

Something something non falsifiable orthodoxy

quote:

The so-called Seven Up, Eight Down rule took hold during the 2002 reshuffle overseen by outgoing President Jiang Zemin, then 76. It means that Politburo members who were 67 at the time of the congress can stay on for another five years, while those 68 or older must retire. 

Add this to the list of policies that, no matter how inconsistently or corruptly applied in China, Americans would kill to have in their own country

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Despite lollontee being Finnish, I have to say that the ban is bullshit.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
America stands aghast at China allowing overly old politicians to cling to power

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

hardly a surprise you have to pass the state department test before joining a goon eve fleet, wasn't vilerat an eve goon as well

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

wait is it genocide denial to know that the CIA tries to foment uigher separatist movements in xinjiang?

the chinese must be doing genocide because they know they'd be doing it in their place

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
Wasn't Xinjiang also a military base during WW2?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cerebral Bore posted:

xi leaves, if you will

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Xinjiang is 240% larger than texas. you mean did it have a military base?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
now that i have learned xinjiang is bigger than texas, i support prsident xi's campaign to destroy it utterly

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Doktor Avalanche posted:

hardly a surprise you have to pass the state department test before joining a goon eve fleet, wasn't vilerat an eve goon as well

didn't even think about that, good point

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

now that i have learned xinjiang is bigger than texas, i support prsident xi's campaign to destroy it utterly

getting off the plane in anchorage when i was seventeen, the first thing i heard was "what happens if you cut alaska in half?? texas becomes the third-largest state!". balkanize alaska

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/Kanthan2030/status/1581946575655677952?t=dtXrRTpT2X40cSqXOIzrpg&s=19

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Danann posted:

Japan basically got its prized manufacturing sector ripped up by the US:

It’s amazing how often whole countries economies get hosed over from the top. is there like a big book examples where bankers just decide to gently caress over nations, and then do it?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

i say swears online posted:

getting off the plane in anchorage when i was seventeen, the first thing i heard was "what happens if you cut alaska in half?? texas becomes the third-largest state!". balkanize alaska

give it bacfk to russia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doktor Avalanche posted:

the chinese must be doing genocide because they know they'd be doing it in their place

2012: laughing xhosa girl

2022: laughing uighur girl

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

I purchased and 100%'d Huniecam so quickly that I still get friends shaming me over it. And I deserve to be shamed. But I did not praise the game. I called it fucked up. That's how fucked up it is: it's up there with Princess Maker as far as poster body counts.
Soiled Meat
Let lolontree post

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Wow. Impressive. What is it now?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Doktor Avalanche posted:

Well now see prisons in china are genocide because their minorities are innocent, unlike our minorities, who deserve to be detained in shockingly horrible conditions without a trial

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

It’s amazing how often whole countries economies get hosed over from the top. is there like a big book examples where bankers just decide to gently caress over nations, and then do it?

Killing Hope

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao hell yeah covid rules

https://www.politico.eu/article/china-covid-lockdown-spell-relief-europe-energy-security/

quote:

China’s COVID lockdowns spell relief for Europe’s energy security worries
Low gas demand in China has played a key role in keeping liquefied natural gas flowing to the EU this year.

China’s President Xi Jinping has some good news for Europe — his country's draconian zero-COVID policies aren't likely to be dropped.

That's a relief for European buyers of liquefied natural gas, as China's economic slowdown has freed up LNG cargos crucial to replacing the Russian gas that used to supply about 40 percent of European demand.

“Regardless of what you think about the Chinese zero-COVID policy, simply looking at it only from the perspective of European gas supplies, it would be very helpful if China continued this policy,” said Dennis Hesseling, head of gas at the EU’s energy regulator agency ACER.

Xi took to the stage Sunday to kick off the week-long 20th Communist Party congress, and he doubled down on the zero-COVID approach, calling it a “people's war to stop the spread of the virus."

The once-in-five-year summit is “mostly a political meeting for within the party itself” but it does send crucial signals, said Jacob Gunter, a senior analyst at the China-focused MERICS think tank. So far it indicates China plans to “stick with [zero-COVID] for a while," he said, adding that’s partly because government pandemic messaging has so spooked the population that lifting it would cause “chaos,” while Chinese vaccine hesitancy also remains high.

Since the outbreak of the pandemic in 2020, China has ruthlessly pursued its policy of crushing the coronavirus, involving snap lockdowns of entire cities accompanied by mass testing, surveillance and border closures. The slowdown in growth and depressed demand led to China's LNG imports sinking by one-fifth, or 14 billion cubic meters, year-on-year for the first eight months of 2022, according to Jörg Wuttke, president of the EU Chamber of Commerce in China.

China and the EU each imported around 80 million tons of LNG in 2021, but China’s imports will fall to 64 million tons this year, according to data by market intelligence firm ICIS. That's helping the EU buy gas on the global market and using it to fill the Continent's storages ahead of the winter heating season.

“Europe is lucky that China has a severe economic downturn which will last well into 2023,” said Wuttke, adding that the drop in demand from China — historically the world’s largest LNG importer — is “roughly equivalent to the entire annual LNG imports of Britain.”

2023 worries

With EU gas storage now over 90 percent full, the conversation in Brussels has already begun to shift to securing enough supplies for next year. At last week's summit of EU energy ministers, International Energy Agency chief Fatih Birol warned that “next winter may well be even more difficult.”

As things stand, Beijing’s LNG imports are likely to rise back to 2021 levels next year, according to senior ICIS gas analyst Tom Marzec-Manser, with deliveries typically increasing around the winter season and then likely to ramp up again next summer.

China has already ordered its state-owned gas importers to stop reselling LNG to the EU to preserve stocks for the winter season at home.

But if the zero-COVID policy is scrapped, that could lead “to a step-change in growth again,” said Marzec-Manser.

European countries are well aware of this risk.

In a presentation given by ACER during last week’s informal Energy Council, ministers were told that “China’s COVID-driven demand decline in LNG volumes is currently being absorbed” by the bloc. “This raises questions as to when China’s LNG demand may turn back towards normal growth rates,” it added.

Although Russian shipments have fallen to less than 9 percent of EU demand, some Kremlin gas is still getting through. But “that may not be available at all next year,” said ACER’s Hesseling, adding that if there is no Russian gas and Chinese demand comes roaring back, more radical energy-saving measures would be needed in the EU.

EU leaders will meet later this week to discuss further measures to tackle sky-high energy prices in Europe, including measures for next year such as joint gas purchasing.

According to one senior EU diplomat, “competition from Asia [is] mentioned constantly,” adding that “it’s quite evident” a change in Beijing’s lockdown policy “may raise global demand and raise prices.”

“China is indeed a competitor and that needs to be taken into account whatever we might be doing,” they said.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

president xi my people beg for freedom please send j-20 multirole stealth aircraft

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is it possible for westerners to flee to china as covid refugees? asking for a friend

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

is it possible for westerners to flee to china as covid refugees? asking for a friend

learn 2 code

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fly Molo posted:

gotta have a job lined up at least probably

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

juggalo visiting xinjiang: drat y'all got uyghurs too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"vaccine skeptic china" pisses me off how much they just loving lie nonstop in the news about china.

china has more vaccines per capita than the EU or america. much more actually.

of course, it doesn't matter, they'll just keep lying