Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol the NYPD did this with Muslim students across state lines post 9/11 and didn't face any meaningful repercussions

quote:

The New York Police Department monitored Muslim college students far more broadly than previously known, at schools far beyond the city limits, including Rutgers University and the Ivy League colleges of Yale and the University of Pennsylvania.

Police talked with local authorities about professors 300 miles away in Buffalo and even sent an undercover agent on a whitewater rafting trip, where he recorded students' names and noted in police intelligence files how many times they prayed.

Detectives trawled Muslim student websites every day and, although professors and students had not been accused of any wrongdoing, their names were recorded in reports prepared for Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How many Muslim were NYPD monitoring? I am trying to decide if that excuse of they didn't have resource to track 300k Chinese students were total bullshit.

Also

quote:

One data point officials considered suspicious: Chinese graduate students who entered the U.S. on an educational visa to study English or other humanities subjects, but soon switched to degree programs in robotics or other technology-related fields, a former U.S. official recalled. DHS’s Domestic Mantis program was specifically geared toward better tracking “those nonimmigrant students who entered the United States to study a nonsensitive field of study, and who subsequently changed their field of study to a sensitive area,” according to a 2016 Homeland Security report.

Don't switch from Shakespeare to Robotic kids.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lettuce Press 🥬🗝 posted:

🥬🦷 Revolution grows from the stem of a lettuce. Mao, probably. 🥭@mangopress
(from t.me/mangopress/10606, via tgsa)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
India's Agnipath Military Recruitment Strategy Jeopardizes Nepali Gurkha Regiments

quote:

Earlier this month, Nepal’s government said that it would temporarily halt recruitment of Gurkhas to the Indian Army. Nepal holds parliamentary elections in November and its new government will make the final call.

India's military new recruitment plan called Agnipath has caused an uproar in Nepal and put the future of India's regiments of the Gurkha Rifles into question.

The Agnipath plan would see only the top quarter of new recruits retained after serving four years. The rest would be let go with no pension or benefits, just a lump sum payout.

India's and the UK's Gurkha Rifle regiments are recruited from the Gurkha ethnicity of Nepal and the Gurkha's pay/pensions/benefits are a big source of income for the country.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Oct 20, 2022

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i remember reading about how india's new recruiting system caused a lot of uproar but i don't really understand why or what the deal is, can anyone explain?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

lobster shirt posted:

i remember reading about how india's new recruiting system caused a lot of uproar but i don't really understand why or what the deal is, can anyone explain?

Did you read the second paragraph of my post? They're getting rid of pensions and benefits for 3/4s of all future veterans.

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

OhFunny posted:

Did you read the second paragraph of my post? They're getting rid of pensions and benefits for 3/4s of all future veterans.

that's just market economics working as planned, responding to decline in demand, this is fine

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

webcams for christ posted:

[Asia/Oceania]XI.PARTY.SPEECH.UNCENSORED.S20E01.1080p.HMAX.WEBRip.DDP5.1.Atmos.x264-SMUT

torrent pls

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this thread hosed up my bookmarks page

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

:same:

love it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
where's the hevc 10bit encode

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

OhFunny posted:

oh i thought that was specifically for teh gurkhas not in general.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
you see gurkhas are famously known for not being loyal to their wallets

right

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

good, she deserved the attention

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My first thread title suggestion, yah!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

Once you get in you used to be able to work for 15 years (or something around that) and retire with benefits and pension. For many people you were set for life and after your term you could leave the Indian army and go do something else while drawing pension and go to India's military hospitals etc. For a lot of people it was good money and an amazing source of education/training and a social safety net. The new system gets rid of all of that for the majority of new recruits.

Palladium posted:

you see gurkhas are famously known for not being loyal to their wallets

right

Sadly yes. Or at least in the mythology of the regiments. There are stories of gurkha's going without pay during the sepoy mutiny/expeditions because of their loyalty to the raj etc. There is saying about 'taking another's salt/recognizing your salt' basically saying know where your loyalty/better is.

ughhhh has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Oct 21, 2022

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

Yeeeeeeep. User control panel page on a mobile chrome browser is now hosed.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

hope they all get executed

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lettuce Press 🥬🗝 posted:

🇨🇳#china

Wow as if Xi can see the danger of letting the market decided what is public good and letting pharmaceutical companies and others like Ant Group and Didi to exploit big data and not in compliance with the party's mandate about common prosperity.

🥭@mangopress
(from t.me/mangopress/10624, via tgsa)

:xickos:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nice.

does anyone know what % of congress are in the C-suite?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBnTRLXZIR0

China has a maglev sled that can go past 1000 km/h.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Danann posted:

oh yeah?! well Jackson Mississippi has no clean water!

I’d like the Chinese to try and match THAT

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Danann posted:

Al-Saqr posted:

oh yeah?! well Jackson Mississippi has no clean water!

I’d like the Chinese to try and match THAT

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

such a loving rear end in a top hat lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk-L4eOLl98

I came across this video about Indian history. The general thesis is that "Hinduism" was a negative categorization (i.e. anyone NOT Muslim) that the British imposed on the Indian subcontinent as they colonized it, for ease of administration, and that the foundations of this invented Hinduism were driven by Brahmins, who leveraged the trust that the British had placed in them to create an new legal infrastructure to concretize their grip on power via castes.

It sort of makes sense from my general understanding of how colonialism worked/works, but I wanted to run it by people who might be more familiar with the material / history if this is wayyyyy out there.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/LinevichD/status/1583458632921796608

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

congrats to china im glad they have their priorities straight

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk-L4eOLl98

I came across this video about Indian history. The general thesis is that "Hinduism" was a negative categorization (i.e. anyone NOT Muslim) that the British imposed on the Indian subcontinent as they colonized it, for ease of administration, and that the foundations of this invented Hinduism were driven by Brahmins, who leveraged the trust that the British had placed in them to create an new legal infrastructure to concretize their grip on power via castes.

It sort of makes sense from my general understanding of how colonialism worked/works, but I wanted to run it by people who might be more familiar with the material / history if this is wayyyyy out there.

eh, would you consider chinese folk religion etc to be a made up religion as well? Sikhs, parsis etc all existed as different enough from both the erstwhile muslim rulers in an unravelling mughal india and the majority of people who were otherwise classified as Hindu by the British. The destruction of indigenous economic structures had more to do with the caste system ossifying under the british and the subcontinent never really had the kind of social revolutions that took place in east asia.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I've heard that An Introduction to Hinduism is a good book on the history of the religion but I can't confirm as it's still on my reading list. -_-

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
hinduism is not really one religion. It covers many religions in the subcontinent that worship the same set of books.

I think it covers more than the Hindi ethnic group as well.

It really pushes your western definition of "religion".

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

stephenthinkpad posted:

hinduism is not really one religion. It covers many religions in the subcontinent that worship the same set of books.

I think it covers more than the Hindi ethnic group as well.

It really pushes your western definition of "religion".

i think thats probably true about "chinese folk religion" too

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Next monday is Diwali, going to be excited to see what pops off in the motherland.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Lol whitey crying about how they let their capitalism sell the rope with which to hang themselves

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1583478401628835841?s=61&t=N2S_ab05nOiHV-mXHqLpFQ

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Next monday is Diwali, going to be excited to see what pops off in the motherland.

firecrackers mostly.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol whitey crying about how they let their capitalism sell the rope with which to hang themselves

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1583478401628835841?s=61&t=N2S_ab05nOiHV-mXHqLpFQ

https://twitter.com/TathagataBhatt5/status/1583485033439907841

At this point Hinduism is just defined by insane indians who want epic religious war.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnimeIsTrash posted:

make a gbs diwali thread to see what kind of awful posts you get in there

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fart simpson posted:

they did nuke the india thread eventually right?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

no way brother, i only read 1 gbs thread and that is only to know when they're selling vegan nugs at costco V_V

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Al-Saqr posted:

but our poor greed forced us to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they did nuke the india thread eventually right?

i think so, yeah