Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Considering the analysis flies in the face of pretty much everything else on the matter, I am not going to give them the benefit of the doubt, so in conclusion: vaccinations reduce hospitalizations, less so under Omicron.
Yeah, that was my impression as well upon closer inspection.

Also, considering that we seem to be rapidly breeding variants that ninja right past our antibodies, the supposed “mildness” of current strains seems rather immaterial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

“patients with omicron infection were significantly less likely to be admitted to the hospital, require oxygen, or admission to the ICU (X2 = 12.8 p < 0.001, X2 = 21.6 p < 0.002, X2 = 9.6 p = 0.01, respectively). In patients whose vaccination status was known, a substantial number had breakthrough infections with delta or omicron variants (218/808 [26.9%] and 513/696 [73.7%], respectively). In breakthrough infections, hospitalization rate was similar regardless of variant by multivariate analysis.”

Maybe I have brain fog (I don’t remember having covid, but well, you know…), but I don’t see how the second half of the paragraph doesn’t contradict the first half. Is it just oxygen/ICU that’s different? Have we discussed covid’s effects on memory before?

Going through their data:

1.) Overall hospitalization rate for non-omicron ~12% vs 6% for omicron.

2.) Among known vaccinated patients, the breakthrough hospitalization rate was ~2% for WT/alpha/gamma, ~3% for delta, and ~4.5% for omicron, although these differences are not statistically significant. So within the resolving power of the study, the breakthrough hospitalization rate for all variants is "a couple to a few %"

One interpretation of these data is that omicron is less severe than delta, and vaccinated people just have such good protection against hospitalization to begin with that there is no statistically observable difference in the relatively low hospitalization rates among vaxxed people. 1/30 chance of going to hospital nbd, open biden.

A second interpretation is that overall seropositivity in the omicron infected population--whether from prior infection or vaccination--was much (much) higher than in delta, alpha, or earlier waves. Therefore, the higher hospitalization rate in pre-omicron waves may be attributed to a more immunologically naive population. In the vaccinated cohort, nobody is immunologically naive, and so they show the lowest hospitalization rates. However, even in vaccinated people, the breakthrough hospitalization and ICU rates are non-negligible, and within an order of magnitude of the unvaxxed rates. Also, while the numbers may not have high statistical confidence, it looks like the rate of breakthrough hospitalization is getting worse with each new variant--possibly indicating that the effectiveness of our immunological experience is waning.

Edit: actually, the differences in breakthrough hospitalization rate between variants *is* statistically significant in their study...just not the differences in ICU admission rates. So lol & lmao.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, that was my impression as well upon closer inspection.

Also, considering that we seem to be rapidly breeding variants that ninja right past our antibodies, the supposed “mildness” of current strains seems rather immaterial.

:actually: They are all Omicron, so now everyone can forever point at this paper which documents the mildness.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Morbus posted:

Do not run a UVC lamp for extended periods of time indoors unless you can confirm it is not producing ozone. That requires you to have accurate information about the spectrum of light emitted by the lamp, not just the center wavelength. The information provided by manufacturers of most inexpensive lamps is dogshit and unreliable, so you need to either have some way of independently confirming it, or know enough about UVC lamp technology to make an assessment based on the type of lamp.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/php.13391

Personally, I would not want to run even a low power 222nm KrCl lamp at all hours in my home. If I had to select a UVC lamp for extended use over a door I would want something with a sharp emission spectrum around 250nm and almost nothing below 200

thanks for that, yeah I don’t have any way to tell if it’s JUST the right wavelength

the plan with this is just to have it turn on when the door opens, run for like 90 seconds and shut down. I don’t know if that mitigates the ozone hazard or what though. this sucks.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ebola Roulette posted:

How did public health gently caress this up so bad?

Monkeypox is easy mode. Compared to containing COVID it's actually like playing on God mode. There was a vaccine already ready to go. It has visible symptoms. It's not nearly as contagious. It has a long incubation period where you're not contagious making it the perfect disease to do contact tracing and ring vaccination.

Center for Disease Control?

More like Center for Distributing Contagion

"Public health" is so passé. It's all about individualized decisions now. Or, in other words:

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Jumping ahead to note that the Washington state dashboard has this notification:

quote:

Due to a security breach encountered by one of Washington's hospital organizations, data about cases, hospitalizations, deaths, and testing are incomplete in some counties as of October 3, 2022. This could affect up to 100 COVID cases per day as well as associated hospitalizations and deaths. The issue is likely to last for the next several weeks. We will update this data note as additional information becomes available.

Ransomware?

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

Sup covid thread. Has this covid/weed study been discussed?: Cannabis Use Is Associated With Lower COVID-19 Susceptibility but Poorer Survival :okpos:

They studied smoking so I guess the key to lower covid susceptibility and better survival is to stick to edibles? I am currently seeking funding for further research.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Pingui posted:

Some people just don't believe in math :shrug:

mawarannahr posted:

Wealthy YOSPOS goons lurking this thread: send Greg money

I appreciate it! But the thing is, it's not the money. Nobody I mention this to thinks it's something we should be concerned about. I don't even mention covid when I bring this up, I just talk about cleaner air. No one goes for it. I've been at this for all of 2022 so far, and the only progress I've made is to get people who already have district provided air filters in their room to turn the drat things on. It's weird!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

Please do not beet your wife without her informed consent.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
[Pestilence] have you stopped beeting your wife?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/1goodtern/status/1580156936367919104?s=46&t=WzwBUOwCKbf1sPLYVmLOfg

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

Zantie posted:

Jumping ahead to note that the Washington state dashboard has this notification:

Ransomware?

Yup. Franciscan I think.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Went to the pharmacy tonight to pick up medication for my girlfriend's mom. Pharamacy tech was wheezing, coughing, couldn't catch her breath, and had to ask me for the birthdate six times. I sure am glad she was wearing that surgical mask!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
had a curbside grocery order yesterday and the worker forgot our name three times, had to keep coming out to the car and running back to the store.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Frosted Flake posted:

Look, it’s all pretty simple:

The way in which an individual perceives and acts towards his environment is partly determined by the quality and strength of his motives, needs, attitudes, and emotion.

The upper half of the above diagram provides a simplified view of the information processes before, during and after the making of military decisions. The very high information load, the great ‘uncertainties’ that have to be reduced or tolerated, the many stages involved, the interaction between past experience and a ‘programme’ of perhaps dubious validity, the dependence of decisions upon knowing the likely outcomes of possible alternatives and the necessity for possible revisions in the light of feedback of earlier outcomes constitute a large potential for error or breakdown in the smooth flow of information. The lower part of the diagram outlines typical sources of ‘noise’ which could produce disturbance at one or other of the stages between Input and Output.

Combat (A) produces several sorts of anxiety (B). To reduce these anxieties (and increase efficiency), aspects of militarism (C) are developed. These reduce primary anxiety (the ‘dashed’ arrow). But defences against primary anxiety (C) necessarily make for rigidity of thinking, etc. (D). They will also tend to attract individuals with personal anxieties about dirt and aggression.

Both aspects of D may be expected to have two adverse effects. Firstly, they will directly reduce military competence (E), thereby increasing primary anxiety in the combat situation. Secondly, they will evoke a number of secondary (social) anxieties (F). Both these effects will tend to increase D, thereby constituting a vicious circle of cause and effect.

If covid approximates in the civil service the stress and uncertainty combat does in the combat arms, and if a senior policy position is equivalent to a staff position and attracts similar personalities, it stands to reason that this is a predictable reaction to unpredictable events.

FF. You have missed something crucial.

Sunny Side Up has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Oct 13, 2022

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
ahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahaAAAAAAAhhhhhh posted:

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- GoTriangle, GoRaleigh and GoDurham will not provide shuttles to take people to and from the NC State Fair in 2022. The public transit companies said they had to get rid of the shuttles this year because there are not enough drivers to staff the routes.

But don't worry, we can still find a way to cram a million people into a few city blocks over the course of a week. It'll be fine! No one wants to work anymore, so come relax at the fair!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

tuyop posted:

had a curbside grocery order yesterday and the worker forgot our name three times, had to keep coming out to the car and running back to the store.

The best part was that she wasn't typing anything in each time she asked me. Just, "What's her birthday?" *stares blankly* "Sorry, what was the month?" *stares blankly* "Can you give me the birthday again?"

Real cool that we make people who can barely stay upright come into work.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ikanreed posted:

ahahahahahahahaha

But don't worry, we can still find a way to cram a million people into a few city blocks over the course of a week. It'll be fine! No one wants to work anymore, so come relax at the fair!
The drivers are all in food comas due to too much fried pecan pie covid dogs.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
gottem, M.I.A.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

babe wake up the new PAPR model got announced

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

fosborb posted:

gottem, M.I.A.

that is a seriously impressive amount of "I am a loving idiot" shoved into a single sentence

like that legitimately takes some talent

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

gottem, M.I.A.

All I wanna do is *cough cough cough cough*

stump collector
May 28, 2007
kyrie irving has probably been paid negative 20 million dollars to be a loving moron. I think he should help alex jones pay his bills

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

and cheese in my lungs

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Morbus posted:

Going through their data:

So lol & lmao.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

gently caress I'm glad I hit refresh before I hit post lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tuyop posted:

sorry if this has been done to death, I just want to put a UVC lamp above my front door so I’m even more likely to stop COVIDs from entering. 222nm is the wavelength I want, right? I picked up a dosimeter card months ago, intending to build a box but I have no space for one.

I don’t really know how to interpret these product listings though. can anyone tell me if these seem like, safe to be exposed to?

https://uvcanada.ca/uv-c_lamps

Those are all mercury vapor lamps, which emit light primarily at 254 nm and can give you mild severe erythema and mild temporary blindness.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zugzwang posted:

Thread title IMHO

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
mildly feeling mildly better

the rona is moving down my T-zone, leaving my sinuses behind to create a spiky home in my throat, this time a bit more seriously and not responding as well to NSAIDs. I feel pretty run down but that's because I haven't slept much in the last 72 hours, but still no fever or aches or fatigue really.

i'm keeping a meds journal that reads like Hunter S Thompson's daily diary

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Zantie posted:

Ransomware?

I believe that was St. Michael Medical Center in Silverdale that was hit, but I'm not sure how much more widespread it was than that.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Ebola Roulette posted:

Monkeypox is easy mode. Compared to containing COVID it's actually like playing on God mode. There was a vaccine already ready to go. It has visible symptoms. It's not nearly as contagious. It has a long incubation period where you're not contagious making it the perfect disease to do contact tracing and ring vaccination.

Center for Disease Control?

More like Center for Distributing Contagion

the only effort the feds did with monkeypox was "well its only gays getting it so don't get homopox and you'll be fine"

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

I don’t really know how to interpret these product listings though. can anyone tell me if these seem like, safe to be exposed to?

None of those are safe to be exposed to. You're after Far UVC which has a wavelength of 222nm.

That page shows that those lamps have wavelengths outside of 222nm.

You're after a 222 nm excimer lamp with a bandpass or band stop filter. I've priced some recently that would be suitable for your purposes. They're about $1200 USD :(

yoloer420 has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Oct 13, 2022

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
More effective outreach than the White House.

https://twitter.com/mrt/status/1580353042364633090?s=46&t=5BmY--BlB-VCWw2swgNoBA

mystes
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

sorry if this has been done to death, I just want to put a UVC lamp above my front door so I’m even more likely to stop COVIDs from entering. 222nm is the wavelength I want, right? I picked up a dosimeter card months ago, intending to build a box but I have no space for one.

You probably shouldn't install a uvc lamp in a way where you'll be exposed to it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Calibanibal posted:

you think 10% of people would eat a beet they found in their mailbox?

Americans will blow up their mailbox to ensure they are safe from the non-fried foodstuff.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Breed beets to be shaped like Punisher skulls. You’ll have the chud market cornered.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kinda funny that Mr. T of all people got so humble in his old age.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zugzwang posted:

lol, and

lmao

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Ebola Roulette posted:

I think you will find that public health is doing a fantastic job. Remember, the purpose of a system is what it does.

Also Frosted Flake, I’m on team therapy. Relationships are supposed to provide safety and security, and a partner who doesn’t just trust the things you say about your body is a time bomb. Hope you feel better soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/JUNlPER/status/1580349558273425408