Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I've been put in quarantine (in my own apartment thankfully) for twelve days. Day 3 and I'm already bored out of my mind. What are some immersive games I can play until Animal Crossing comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Switcher.
Xenoblade chronicles 2.
Slay thenSpire

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Monster Hunter is 50% off in Europe.

I have enough gold coins to get it outright now. But I'm really on the fence about it. Surely there'd be a better Monster Hunter destined for the Switch as opposed to a 3DS port?

That game is pretty great. And so much content. So many monsters to hunt

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

a7m2 posted:

I've been put in quarantine (in my own apartment thankfully) for twelve days. Day 3 and I'm already bored out of my mind. What are some immersive games I can play until Animal Crossing comes out?

Why not 14 days? :nyoron:

I can highly recommend Hollow Knight if you're in the mood for a fairly hard Metroidvania.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

a7m2 posted:

Monster Hunter. There's so many monsters.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

a7m2 posted:

Breath of the Wild

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

a7m2 posted:

Yoshi's Crafted World is loving adorable and 100%ing it should take you a while.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

a7m2 posted:

Obviously BotW. If you're online, I'd crack out some of those old SNES games and run through a bunch of them too.

Otherwise buy Dragon Quest XI or one of the old Final Fantasies.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Monster Hunter is 50% off in Europe.

I have enough gold coins to get it outright now. But I'm really on the fence about it. Surely there'd be a better Monster Hunter destined for the Switch as opposed to a 3DS port?

Monster Hunter is in a big transitional phase right now. Monster Hunter: World sold gangbusters, and the reception was very positive. It got a rare PC port, which (even more rarely) surpassed the quality of the console versions. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any Switch port in the works, likely due to hardware limitations -- becoming a tired excuse considering ports like Witcher 3 and DOOM, but I suppose it's a subjective one per developer. I would be very surprised to see any more Monster Hunter on the Switch.

That said, the Monster Hunter that IS on the Switch is a very good one, despite being a 3DS port. It's a very decent 3DS port. I spent a lot of time playing the 3DS games, and was generally impressed/happy with the Switch port. It's charmingly janky, as Monster Hunter always was before World came out. If you haven't played World, this probably won't bother you too much!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gripweed posted:

That game is pretty great. And so much content. So many monsters to hunt

Yeah, it looks good. The combat seems deliberate and skill based like in Dark Souls, which I loved, but I'm not sure if the grind is going to appeal to me. The loop of "kill monster, get better loot, to kill better monster" etc only works until I realize what I'm doing and that never lasts more than a couple of weeks to a month tops.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

a7m2 posted:

Use you switch to launch YouTube and get deep into YouTube dives

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I’ve preordered the special edition animal crossing switch console from EB Games here in Australia. Unfortunately it doesn’t list a release date on my order. Anyone know when it’s getting released, in Australia particularly? I assume it’s delayed because of coronavirus?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The 5 Minute Crafts family of channels puts out multiple videos a day of life hacks. Just watch them all you might be done in 12 days

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

JollyBoyJohn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cablDS4Z04M

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Len posted:

The 5 Minute Crafts family of channels puts out multiple videos a day of life hacks. Just watch them all you might be done in 12 days

Ew don't poison your mind with that garbage

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
According to this Big W link, the console releases on March 20.

Mustafa fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 13, 2020

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

JollyBoyJohn posted:

AntsCanada, KiwamiJapan, PrimitiveTechnology. You'll thank me later.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Granite Octopus posted:

I’ve preordered the special edition animal crossing switch console from EB Games here in Australia. Unfortunately it doesn’t list a release date on my order. Anyone know when it’s getting released, in Australia particularly? I assume it’s delayed because of coronavirus?
The console has been delayed, best ask EB about the revised release date

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

Len posted:

ban for encouraging self harm

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
So, I got Nintendo online to experience the true Dark Souls experience, should I also buy Rocket league or are there only super pro masters still playing?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah, it looks good. The combat seems deliberate and skill based like in Dark Souls, which I loved, but I'm not sure if the grind is going to appeal to me. The loop of "kill monster, get better loot, to kill better monster" etc only works until I realize what I'm doing and that never lasts more than a couple of weeks to a month tops.

yeah but some of the new outfits you get look really good

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

enojy posted:

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any Switch port in the works, likely due to hardware limitations -- becoming a tired excuse considering ports like Witcher 3 and DOOM,

Monster Hunter World does not run at 60fps on the PS4 Pro and barely hits that on the Xbox One X in Performance mode sometimes, because Capcom did the modern dev method of "not giving a poo poo, because people will buy it anyway." They'd have to fundamentally fix it from the ground up before they could even consider trying to get World to be 720p30 on the Switch, and they'd rather release Devil May Cry 2 for $20.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aw man do I really want to kill that fuckin dinoasaur three more times? Yes I do. I need that hat

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The cool thing about MonHun is the fights are actually fun* which makes the grind pretty darn enjoyable

*except for nibelsnarf, plesioth, kirin, yian garuga, the dick monster whose name i forget...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

EightFlyingCars posted:

The cool thing about MonHun is the fights are actually fun* which makes the grind pretty darn enjoyable

*except for nibelsnarf, plesioth, kirin, yian garuga, the dick monster whose name i forget...

Didn't they fix Plesioth in Generations Ultimate?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gripweed posted:

Idk how bad he was in older games but he definitely still sucks rear end in GU. The hitboxes might be better but its a poo poo fight

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tafferling posted:

So, I got Nintendo online to experience the true Dark Souls experience, should I also buy Rocket league or are there only super pro masters still playing?

If you like rocket league you'll love it and if not we can't be friends

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Wait, hold on. I'm looking into system transfers for the first time as my Animal Crossing LE arrives today.

You're telling me I have to re-download every game and can't just use the SD card to transfer game files? :gonk:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks for all the tips! I'll probably play Monster Hunter and revisit BotW because I didn't do the DLC content.

Infinitum posted:

Why not 14 days? :nyoron:
Sorry, it is 14 days. I'm not sure why I said 12.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm in China and I don't have a VPN installed on my router, but I have been watching tons of videos on my PC.

Tempura Wizard posted:

AntsCanada, KiwamiJapan, PrimitiveTechnology. You'll thank me later.
Yeah, AntsCanada rocks. They got me into taking care of a small colony myself. I set them free a while back because I couldn't take care of them due to the virus raging here (I left during the height of the outbreak, then went back to China when it got back in Europe lol. They're quarantining everyone coming from Europe here now).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MMF Freeway posted:

Idk how bad he was in older games but he definitely still sucks rear end in GU. The hitboxes might be better but its a poo poo fight

I just know that in GU I was able to dodge its hipcheck by rolling under its tail. Which I could never pull off in any of the previous games

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
other people have already set him straight but mhgu switch owns

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Do you like Vampire Bloodlines? Too bad, you're never getting that on Switch. On the other hand Coteries of New York is launching on the 24th. While I'm anything but a fan of visual novels this is by far the best one I've tried. The writing is great and it hits all the beats of the setting just like Bloodlines. You get to pick between a Brujah, Toreador and Ventrue. As the story progresses you also get to pick kindred from other clans for your coterie. Unlike a lot of VNs your choices actually do affect the story quite a bit. The only negatives I will mention is that it's too short, but they've extended the amount of nights you get in this updated version. Sadly I also felt the ending was a bit lacking.
Still, well worth picking up if you dig the setting and the Switch is the perfect platform for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSVo9srHP4E

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Gripweed posted:

They didn't delete it so no

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tempura Wizard posted:

You're telling me I have to re-download every game and can't just use the SD card to transfer game files? :gonk:

What, do you have to pedal a bicycle to make your internet run or something? Everything will just D/L in the background, who cares?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tempura Wizard posted:

The problem is that everything that's downloaded onto the SD card is encrypted using a key that's unique to the console. Unlike the 3DS, even if you do a system transfer, the encryption key is still unique, so the new Switch has no way to read the contents off the old card.

They did it this way because system transfers from a hacked 3DS could be used to hack other 3DSes, and not having a shared encryption key across system transfers disrupts that.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Someone talk me out of buying the NES controllers while they're on sale for 50% off. I seldom play the NES games on the Switch and I already have the SNES controller for that good hand feel. I just have a brain disease that makes me want EVERY PERIPHERAL DAMMIT

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

The Bloop posted:

What, do you have to pedal a bicycle to make your internet run or something? Everything will just D/L in the background, who cares?

It's fine, but I'd rather use an SD card to transfer it instantly like on the 3DS than redownload *checks notes* 250+ GB worth of games. It's very much a first-world problem. :)

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

enojy posted:

Monster Hunter is in a big transitional phase right now. Monster Hunter: World sold gangbusters, and the reception was very positive. It got a rare PC port, which (even more rarely) surpassed the quality of the console versions. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any Switch port in the works, likely due to hardware limitations -- becoming a tired excuse considering ports like Witcher 3 and DOOM, but I suppose it's a subjective one per developer. I would be very surprised to see any more Monster Hunter on the Switch.

That said, the Monster Hunter that IS on the Switch is a very good one, despite being a 3DS port. It's a very decent 3DS port. I spent a lot of time playing the 3DS games, and was generally impressed/happy with the Switch port. It's charmingly janky, as Monster Hunter always was before World came out. If you haven't played World, this probably won't bother you too much!

Sounds like they're still planning on switch MH

cats
May 11, 2009
I'm getting the AC edition Switch today, and I was thinking about giving my current one to my boyfriend's kids, making us a two-Switch household. The old Switch will be docked to the TV in their room and will not be allowed to leave the house (for example they can't take it to their mom's house). The new Switch will be docked in the living room, but I will be taking it with me on trips occasionally. Someone please tell me if I have things straight:

If I want them to be able to play on the old Switch under their own profile (so they can have their own saves), the only way to do that is to keep the old Switch as the primary console, correct? Then the new Switch becomes secondary, and can only have one user profile tied to it (mine).

Primary Switch: multiple profiles, my account is still the "owner" so to speak
Secondary Switch: only one profile - copy of mine. Also needs to connect to the internet every so often to be able to play digital games.

Next question: I will be purchasing Animal Crossing digitally, I know it does not support cloud saves and is also limited to "one console, one island." With two consoles, two profiles and one digital game, will we still be locked in to one island, or can they create their own now? Or is one of the profiles just totally SOL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

What, what if it had parental controls?

It does, but they’re only accessible via an app that connects to the Mario figurine with an $80 dongle that upon disassembly is revealed to just be a bog standard usb cable in a Nintendo themed case