Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Sometimes /r/Collapse feels like a second home.

https://www.reddit.com/r/collapse/comments/y2j1pa/the_data_is_clear_long_covid_is_devastating/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ebola Roulette posted:

How did public health gently caress this up so bad?

Monkeypox is easy mode. Compared to containing COVID it's actually like playing on God mode. There was a vaccine already ready to go. It has visible symptoms. It's not nearly as contagious. It has a long incubation period where you're not contagious making it the perfect disease to do contact tracing and ring vaccination.

Center for Disease Control?

More like Center for Distributing Contagion
I have a feeling we're not even going to bother trying to control any new infectious diseases ever again.

It will be great when we have 2 or 3 things as bad as covid going around constantly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DanielB73418926/status/1580069434227499009?t=vpNIUMWCjo9ak9b2Byjfvg&s=19

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
if you can stand up then it's mild, get back to work

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Poorly aged cope.

https://twitter.com/apoorva_nyc/status/1295356875115040768
https://twitter.com/apoorva_nyc/status/1295357159283347458

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Remember when words used to mean things?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SixteenShells posted:

if you can stand up then it's mild, get back to work

he'll yeah nothing helps a bad mood covid like spreading it

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
In March/April 2020, I heard maybe one virologist express concern about herd immunity because we knew even then that coronavirus infections tend not to produce long-lasting antibody titers. Meanwhile, basically everyone else, including all of our “sharpest minds,” were taking it as axiomatic that people could only get infected once.

I guess even the sharpest tools were pretty dull before the Bronze Age.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zugzwang posted:

In March/April 2020, I heard maybe one virologist express concern about herd immunity because even then, coronavirus infections were known not to produce long-lasting antibody titers. Meanwhile, basically everyone else, including all of our “sharpest minds,” were taking it as axiomatic that people could only get infected once.

People gassed themselves up to believe that covid worked like measles / chickenpox because that was the only way it could be compatible with capitalist society

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

In March/April 2020, I heard maybe one virologist express concern about herd immunity because we knew even then that coronavirus infections tend not to produce long-lasting antibody titers. Meanwhile, basically everyone else, including all of our “sharpest minds,” were taking it as axiomatic that people could only get infected once.

I just tried to search to see what I thought about that in 2020 and i can't think of the right terms I guess, but I just found this post from myself that made me laugh:

mystes posted:

The worst case is that we end up with this going around every year (or even multiple strains of it every year) but I don't think that anyone even wants to think about that yet at this point.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

McCracAttack posted:

Remember when words used to mean things?

words have never meant anything, they're all arbitrary. i'm just typing random nonsense right now

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
covid is over guys

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Burn Zone posted:

my sister-in-law stopped taking the Pax after the first day because it "made everything taste bad"

The monkey’s paw curls.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Burn Zone posted:

my sister-in-law stopped taking the Pax after the first day because it "made everything taste bad"
Is that an actual side effect of it or is that just the covid?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/12/health/long-covid.html
Nearly Half of Covid Patients Haven’t Fully Recovered Months Later, Study Finds

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Fauci said he's 'willing to bet anything' that people who recover from the new coronavirus are 'really protected from reinfection'

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-fauci-those-who-recover-will-be-immune-2020-3

published Mar 28, 2020

quote:

During a recent interview with Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" host Trevor Noah, Dr. Fauci was asked whether people who are infected with COVID-19 and recover from the disease are immune to reinfection.

Fauci, who has often appeared at odds with the White House's more positive messaging around the pandemic, told Noah that, while experts can't be 100% sure yet, he feels "really confident" that recovered coronavirus patients will have immunity.

He added that he'd be "willing to bet anything that people who recover are really protected against re-infection."

Fauci told Noah that "if this virus acts like every other virus that we know, once you get infected, get better, clear the virus, then you'll have immunity that will protect you against re-infection."

lol the hubris

mystes
May 31, 2006

fosborb posted:

Fauci said he's 'willing to bet anything' that people who recover from the new coronavirus are 'really protected from reinfection'

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-fauci-those-who-recover-will-be-immune-2020-3

published Mar 28, 2020

lol the hubris
I'd say that's more like "blatant lying" than "hubris" because there's no way he didn't know that other coronaviruses didn't work that way

It's just one of the millions of examples of how they hosed up by lying to control the messaging

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mystes posted:

I just tried to search to see what I thought about that in 2020 and i can't think of the right terms I guess, but I just found this post from myself that made me laugh:

oof, nearly nailed it

turns out you didn't need "yet at this point"

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lotta pandemic dogs

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

gradenko_2000 posted:

People gassed themselves up to believe that covid worked like measles / chickenpox because that was the only way it could be compatible with capitalist society
Also, there really wasn’t much coronavirus expertise at the time. A few academics studied them, but general interest (and funding) fizzled out pretty shortly after SARS-1.

On top of that, people in wealthy countries were previously fortunate not to have to deal with infectious diseases too much, so most people in those countries - including doctors - know jack poo poo about the subject. (Present tense is deliberate.)

mystes posted:

lol

I was for sure thinking that we’d all be ok once we got a vaccine, as if we were dealing with the virus in Contagion.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Stereotype posted:

covid is over guys

about time!!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

razorscooter posted:

some of those who work forces want the paste thats for horses

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Koirhor posted:

on the plus side I consume alot more weed now

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
god the current RATs are trash

https://twitter.com/JWaldeisen/status/1580084386107531265?t=U7JwMy_ZbhYH1hiO42IMFA&s=19

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

blatman posted:

ligma angina lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bah

I gotta get a PCR tomorrow, I've been lethargic since seeing my family and while the RATs are negative I'm not working out much.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Oh, word?

quote:

Lowest US Life Expectancy Since 1996 Linked to COVID-19

Bridget M. Kuehn, MSJ

Life expectancy dropped by 3 years for US men and 2.3 years for US women between 2019 and 2021, according to provisional life expectancy data from the National Center for Health Statistics.

During this period, US life expectancy dropped to about 73 years for men and to about 79 years for women, the lowest levels since 1996. Three-quarters of overall life expectancy lost during this period was attributed to COVID-19 deaths, according to a CDC statement. The deaths contributed to a growing gap in life expectancy between US men and women, which increased from 4.8 years in 2010—the lowest ever recorded—to about 6 years in 2021.

Unintentional injuries, about half of which were drug overdose deaths, were the second leading cause of lost life expectancy among US men and women between 2020 and 2021. A staggering 109 000 overdose deaths were recorded in the US between March 2021 and March 2022, according to the CDC statement. Suicide, chronic liver disease or cirrhosis, and homicide also contributed to lost life expectancy among men between 2020 and 2021. Heart disease, stroke, and chronic liver disease contributed to reduced life expectancy for women.

Reduced deaths primarily from influenza, pneumonia, and other respiratory diseases helped offset life expectancy losses for both men and women.

American Indian and Alaska Native individuals experienced the largest decrease in life expectancy—from 67 years to 65 years—of any racial or ethnic group between 2020 and 2021. Non-Hispanic White individuals had the second largest decline, from about 77 years to about 76 years. Life expectancy for Black individuals dropped about 8 months, to a little more than 70.5 years during this period. Hispanic individuals, who had a 4-year drop in life expectancy between 2019 and 2020, experienced a 2.5-month decline between 2020 and 2021, to about 78 years. Life expectancy among Asian people dropped about 1 month, to 83.5 years during this period.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Tulip posted:

Bah

I gotta get a PCR tomorrow, I've been lethargic since seeing my family and while the RATs are negative I'm not working out much.

sleep with a beet under your pillow. a small one is fine

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lofi beets to fall asleep to

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Oktoberfest must have been really worth it for Germany, what with ~.2% of the population pozzing every day... :magical:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Calibanibal posted:

sleep with a beet under your pillow. a small one is fine

is over or under better

can you make beet incense

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
beet joke to death

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
clear mask update

friend sent me this and asked if it’s legit

https://www.etsy.com/listing/965403629/tpu-plastic-mask-face-id-unlock-mask?ref=share_v4_lx

he has all sorts of certifications except the ones that matter

in good news I did find that there’s a new legit NIOSH n95 with a clear window

https://optrel.us/product/p-air-clear-n95-masks-20-pack/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/dedrie77/status/1580338560422809600?s=46&t=jO8iCsth_1cu8w1obDzghw

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zugzwang posted:

All I wanna do is *cough cough cough cough*

Steve Yun posted:

Lofi beets to fall asleep to

Tzen has issued a correction as of 07:44 on Oct 13, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ebola update

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7146635395650850053

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mystes posted:

mystes posted:

The worst case is that we end up with this going around every year (or even multiple strains of it every year) but I don't think that anyone even wants to think about that yet at this point.
lmao amazing

Burn Zone posted:

Platystemon posted:

The monkey’s paw curls.
:sludgepal:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/joeolivermd/status/1580347368934764544?s=46&t=KUSPZv6iMfr7iMv1pQYJ3g

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

MDPI pdf I found

Global Excess Mortality during COVID-19 Pandemic: A Systematic Review and ..." posted:

Conclusions:

In this meta-analysis, the pooled global excess mortality was 104.84 deaths per 100,000,
and the number of all-cause reported deaths was higher than expected deaths during the
COVID-19 pandemic worldwide. Excess mortality was higher in South America, North
America, Europe, developing countries, middle-income countries, the male population, and
individuals aged ≥60 years. Further research needs to more accurately estimate all-cause
excess mortality attributed to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Someone turn this into a real number for me.

Steve Yun posted:

clear mask update

in good news I did find that there’s a new legit NIOSH n95 with a clear window

https://optrel.us/product/p-air-clear-n95-masks-20-pack/

Finally, the perfect mask attachment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

Some people just don't believe in math :shrug: