Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

epalm posted:

Can she not do this on her own?

Neither of us can do this on our own, actually, given that we're married, we're not jerks, and thus we'd would both have to be involved in buying a big ticket item like a new vehicle.

ReelBigLizard posted:

All depends on the bike. I think 50-125 is fine for suburban pootling but anything more and a 250 is a much more practical bike. A 250 four stroke twin like the Ninja and CBR is perfectly fine for the novice, and will stay practical when you need to go faster for longer, say on highways.

A very good point, to be sure, but I don't really envision us doing much more than tooling around town for a while. We don't really need a lot of power: we just want to get experience and build up a sense of confidence on the street.

Plus our assumption is that we could sell it to partially defray the cost of a Ninja or CBR when we're ready.

That said, if a 250 isn't going to be much more trouble to learn on, there's no point spending money on the Eliminator first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
The 250 may even be easier to learn on. It's not all about displacement but suspension, brakes, handling, etc. All of those tend to get better as the cost of the bike goes up.

I wouldn't start on anything less than a 600 in a cruiser or 250 in a high redline pocket rocket like the mentioned ninja or cbr. If you need to do any expressway riding at all for any reason it will be a miserable experience on anything with only 4 gears.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ibntumart posted:

That said, if a 250 isn't going to be much more trouble to learn on, there's no point spending money on the Eliminator first.

Exactly. Get the 250, its just as good for what you want it for and will make you more confident when you want to get on the highway.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

epalm posted:

Can she not do this on her own?

I'm assuming that halo4am is the driving force behind this and shes just tagging along but I could be wrong.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I'm assuming that halo4am is the driving force behind this and shes just tagging along but I could be wrong.

What? I don't have anything to do with his wife that he knows about.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

I think you meant me and not halo4am. And no, I'm not the driving force: we both are excited about learning to ride. She was the one who suggested buying a motorcycle now so we can practice while waiting to get our actual M1 licenses.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I guarantee two riders and one bike is a recipe for tension. And you will both get better faster and have more fun if you can share your cycling adventures - get two. Seriously.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You're probably okay just having one while you're waiting for your motorcycle licenses, though.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I am coveting a Honda CBR250 with ABS as a starter bike.

Since they are a newish model finding a used one is very difficult.

A local guy on CL is selling one he bought for his wife who then decided she doesn't want to ride with only 20 miles on it. Unfortunately the ad isn't available at the moment to share but I am trading emails with him.

If it retails at ~$4500 what is a fair price? KBB has it at $3600. Buying from him I'd be avoiding tax etc.

In my mind he's going to take a bath on the bike no matter what. Is there a guideline here? With tax etc I'm sure he was over $5k out the door.

I assume there are also downsides to buying a practically brand new bike third party, what are they?

Buying a motorcycle is way out of my comfort zone. Help me make good decisions! :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you're after a good learner bike, you like the CBR250R, and you have the cash, jump on this deal before somebody else does.

I mean... you can find other good leaner bikes cheaper, and that IS kind of a lot for a learner bike you'll probably decide to upgrade from soon, but if you like the CBR and that's what catches your eye, it's a good deal.

e: I have poor reading comprehension, I thought you said $3600 is asking price. If you can get him there, it's probably a good price. But I'm guessing the seller asks something like $4500 or more.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Ask him what dealership he got it from and check with them that the warranty is transferable.

Look very very hard to see if the wife didn't drop it after 20 miles and that's what motivated her to give it up.

The correct answer to both those and anything less than you could talk a dealer down to is a screaming deal depending on tax and filing fees in your area. Assuming you were already looking at buying new anyway.

It's not worth it to spend the extra bucks on a bike like that if you didn't already have it in mind. You'll be off it in a couple years new or used.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Halo_4am posted:

The 250 may even be easier to learn on. It's not all about displacement but suspension, brakes, handling, etc. All of those tend to get better as the cost of the bike goes up.

I also rode Eliminator 125s in my MSF and for what it's worth I stalled the poo poo out of them constantly in 1st (forget about 2nd). I didn't even notice a few times because they are so drat quiet, leading to embarrassing moments of delaying everyone behind me when I gave a dead bike throttle :v:. No biggie in a parking lot but I wouldn't really want to take one on the street for any period of time. It actually made me think I really sucked at shifting. I've only had my Sportster a few days but it's so much easier to shift smoothly with - I've only stalled it once because I was heading uphill and left it in 2nd at a stop sign. I'd definitely skip straight to the 250.

Just my two cents as another brand-new rider.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
He's come down to $4200. Kelley Blue Book is $3600 altho I don't know how relevant that is since it's so new.

Sounds like it's a good deal but I'm hesitant. Is it too TGTBT? I don't know poo poo about motorcycles (just picked up the habit) but I'm willing to learn. Problem is I need the knowledge now to know if I should buy this thing!

I will ask about the dealership and if it's ever been layered dan. What would I look for in person? I expect showroom condition if it's only 20 miles. If anything is amiss I should just pass?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I see dealer ads on my local Craigslist for used CBR250Rs with low miles for around KBB. 20 miles vs. 2,500 miles is pretty negligible on a bike like this - I went on a ride recently and the CBR250R guy in the group started with 1200 miles and ended with 2100; any low mileage you get will be almost instantly undone by you so I wouldn't worry about miles especially with a bike on which I'd be surprised to see over 5,000 miles.

You probably should opt for one with a scratch or three, as well, but that's more of a crying-with-the-bike-on-its-side thing rather than a practical new rider thing.

How much have you looked? You can find a better deal, but that one isn't terrible.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Used cbr250 in San Diego are rare and usually priced at retail or above. Of course owners will come down in negotiation but I've only seen a few and none that are this new.

I emailed this guy last week and he was insulted. I tried him again when he reposted and he was more open to hearing offers.

I took a few swings at buying used Ninja 250s which are more plentiful but none of the owners wanted to negotiate. My true preference is for the Honda which is why I am looking for advice.

I can always wait for that "better deal" but I've been doing just that for a few months now. I am ready to buy as long as I know I'm not making a blatantly stupid decision.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Price at 4200 seems reasonable, not a steal, but reasonable. That's good SV650 territory too and they make fine learner bikes if you've taken the course - and you'll grow out of it slower, in case you haven't entertained that option.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Talked with a guy tonight that has a 2006 Boulevard C50. I really don't know to much about the Boulevards and I want to ride 2 up for 2-300 miles. I know cruisers are different in regards to power vs cc's. Looking around I found that the Boulevard makes around 50-54HP with a top speed of 100-102mph. After my experience with that gnarly red Dodge Ram I get really concerned with power and the ability to get away.

Here's his ad: http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/3281178246.html

Does anyone have experience with this bike riding 2 up? My wife and I weigh around 400 lbs. combined if that matters.

I'm not in a big hurry to trade, but I love looking at bikes and I want to make sure I get the right one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I also rode Eliminator 125s in my MSF and for what it's worth I stalled the poo poo out of them constantly in 1st (forget about 2nd). I didn't even notice a few times because they are so drat quiet, leading to embarrassing moments of delaying everyone behind me when I gave a dead bike throttle :v:. No biggie in a parking lot but I wouldn't really want to take one on the street for any period of time. It actually made me think I really sucked at shifting. I've only had my Sportster a few days but it's so much easier to shift smoothly with - I've only stalled it once because I was heading uphill and left it in 2nd at a stop sign. I'd definitely skip straight to the 250.

Just my two cents as another brand-new rider.

It's a safe assumption that MSF bikes have been beaten and abused to all hell. Chances are your MSF ride had a worn clutch, clogged carbs, any number of maladies that made it more prone to stalling than a good shape personally owned bike would be. Nevertheless I wouldn't recommend a 125 as a primary bike to anyone for American roads.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Talked with a guy tonight that has a 2006 Boulevard C50. I really don't know to much about the Boulevards and I want to ride 2 up for 2-300 miles. I know cruisers are different in regards to power vs cc's. Looking around I found that the Boulevard makes around 50-54HP with a top speed of 100-102mph. After my experience with that gnarly red Dodge Ram I get really concerned with power and the ability to get away.

Here's his ad: http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/3281178246.html

Does anyone have experience with this bike riding 2 up? My wife and I weigh around 400 lbs. combined if that matters.

I'm not in a big hurry to trade, but I love looking at bikes and I want to make sure I get the right one.

My friend just got a 2005 C50 from a big close out in Big Bend Wisconsin and I rode it back to Chicago for his unlicensed rear end. This is an awesome bike that's very easy to handle with enough power for the expressway, moving up and down from 85-90mph for passing without any trouble. The Boulevard forums are also loaded with cheap rear end DIYers with no end of how-to's and how-not-to's.

The monster tank on it makes it look like a big bike and it's scary for newbies, but the hp and handling are perfect. I recommended it to him and his wife as a starter bike and have not had anything over the last few months that made me think otherwise. The same scary tank makes it good for 150-160 miles in range comfortably, but yeah you can throw out the whole 'keep your knees to the tank for tight turns' from the msf. You really don't have a choice on this bike to do anything but that.

I haven't rode it 2-up but I have no doubts it would handle it with ease.

The price on that list is a bit much though - for comparison his 05 had <6k miles and he got it from a dealership for $3,500.

:edit:
http://www.cycletrader.com/search-results?condition=U&keyword=C50&schemecode=AD&sort=price%3Aasc&type=356953&&year=2000%3A2009&

There are 3 listings right off of that bike from dealerships that offer warranties and financing.
2006 - 5,700 mi - $3,400
2007 - 7,200 mi - $3,500
2005 - 10,719 mi - $3,695

I wouldn't pay more than 3k as a lump of cash to a private seller with no return policy for that bike when they're going for those prices from dealerships. Though depending on your area you do save processing fees and taxes by going private sale.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 19, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you want to do two up you should be looking at sport touring bikes. My 5th gen 98-02 VFR was really quite good two up.

Considering how much weight you guys are combined you'll probably need to respring just about any bike if you want do have a bike handle it well.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Halo_4am posted:

My friend just got a 2005 C50 from a big close out in Big Bend Wisconsin and I rode it back to Chicago for his unlicensed rear end. This is an awesome bike that's very easy to handle with enough power for the expressway, moving up and down from 85-90mph for passing without any trouble. The Boulevard forums are also loaded with cheap rear end DIYers with no end of how-to's and how-not-to's.

The monster tank on it makes it look like a big bike and it's scary for newbies, but the hp and handling are perfect. I recommended it to him and his wife as a starter bike and have not had anything over the last few months that made me think otherwise. The same scary tank makes it good for 150-160 miles in range comfortably, but yeah you can throw out the whole 'keep your knees to the tank for tight turns' from the msf. You really don't have a choice on this bike to do anything but that.

I haven't rode it 2-up but I have no doubts it would handle it with ease.

The price on that list is a bit much though - for comparison his 05 had <6k miles and he got it from a dealership for $3,500.

http://www.cycletrader.com/search-results?condition=U&keyword=C50&schemecode=AD&sort=price%3Aasc&type=356953&&year=2000%3A2009&

There are 3 listings right off of that bike from dealerships that offer warranties and financing.
2006 - 5,700 mi - $3,400
2007 - 7,200 mi - $3,500
2005 - 10,719 mi - $3,695

I wouldn't pay more than 3k as a lump of cash to a private seller with no return policy for that bike when they're going for those prices from dealerships. Though depending on your area you do save processing fees and taxes by going private sale.

Thanks for the Cycletrader link I'll definitely use that when I meet him later today.

I'm trading rather than buying outright and if he wanted to trade I would want his bike + $1,000-1,500. I'm looking at sport touring bikes as well, one of my big concerns is that my wife has a pretty bad back and she wants/needs a fairly comfy seat with a backrest. Doing 10 miles on the R1 pretty much crippled her and our longest 2 up ride on the DRZ was around 40 miles round trip, she could barely walk the next day.

Right now I don't have any cash to offer with my bike so it's either an outright trade or their bike + cash depending on what it is. I like VFR's but I'm not sure that would work for her, I've been looking into the Concours as well. I've never owned a "cruiser" bike, I'm kind of curious to walk on that side of things for a little while.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
In that case you will want a sissy bar and probably something beyond the stock pillion pad strapped to the fender. I don't know about the C50 but for most bikes these are retarded expensive, even used aftermarket poo poo with chrome colored shrink wrap found on ebay is hard to get your hands on for <$200. Typically it's north of $300 with a ceiling of $6-700.

Good aftermarket seats can be found a lot cheaper on e-bay especially if they've got tears and other defects which you can typically recover via a local boat/automotive upholstery shop for $50-$100 + the $50-$100 beat up seat.

If you're in no hurry I would maybe keep looking for a used cruiser with an aftermarket seat and sissy bar already on it. They're typically $100-250 more expensive for the $500+ worth of accessories you'll be immediately wanting to throw on.

Also some bikes have a surprisingly small manufacturer recommended carrying capacity of like 300 lbs for rider, passenger, accessories, and cargo. Most are around 500lbs though so you'll be fine but certainly worth sourcing a pdf of the owners manual for anything you're seriously considering and finding out if you'll need to be getting spring upgrades etc on. I don't know the C50's capacity off the top of my head, I would expect it to be 500+ lbs.

:edit 2:
I forgot I actually have a C50 owners manual I sourced for my friend. I just checked it and:
Never exceed the GVWR
(Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of this motorcycle. The GVWR is the combined weight of the machine, accessories, payload, rider and passenger.
GVWR: 490 kg (1080 lbs)
Dry mass: 542.3 lbs
Curb mass 589 lbs
= 491 lbs to work with if the tank is filled to the brim.

You're fine. It does have an adjustable rear-spring pre-load you should probably adjust if you'll be 2-up on it frequently.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Halo_4am posted:

Am I the only one who got temporarily confused by seeing "C50" and thinking you were saying this was a great bike for the expressway:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Halo_4am posted:

In that case you will want a sissy bar and probably something beyond the stock pillion pad strapped to the fender. I don't know about the C50 but for most bikes these are retarded expensive, even used aftermarket poo poo with chrome colored shrink wrap found on ebay is hard to get your hands on for <$200. Typically it's north of $300 with a ceiling of $6-700.

Good aftermarket seats can be found a lot cheaper on e-bay especially if they've got tears and other defects which you can typically recover via a local boat/automotive upholstery shop for $50-$100 + the $50-$100 beat up seat.

If you're in no hurry I would maybe keep looking for a used cruiser with an aftermarket seat and sissy bar already on it. They're typically $100-250 more expensive for the $500+ worth of accessories you'll be immediately wanting to throw on.

Also some bikes have a surprisingly small manufacturer recommended carrying capacity of like 300 lbs for rider, passenger, accessories, and cargo. Most are around 500lbs though so you'll be fine but certainly worth sourcing a pdf of the owners manual for anything you're seriously considering and finding out if you'll need to be getting spring upgrades etc on. I don't know the C50's capacity off the top of my head, I would expect it to be 500+ lbs.

:edit 2:
I forgot I actually have a C50 owners manual I sourced for my friend. I just checked it and:
Never exceed the GVWR
(Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of this motorcycle. The GVWR is the combined weight of the machine, accessories, payload, rider and passenger.
GVWR: 490 kg (1080 lbs)
Dry mass: 542.3 lbs
Curb mass 589 lbs
= 491 lbs to work with if the tank is filled to the brim.

You're fine. It does have an adjustable rear-spring pre-load you should probably adjust if you'll be 2-up on it frequently.

I'm so glad I popped back in and saw this info. I was literally just looking for it. At this point I'm really undecided on all but one thing. I'm not trading today at the very least. This is only the first offer and unless he REALLY wants the DRZ bad and is willing to cough up the $$$ I doubt I'll get the boulevard. I think the next model up (C90?) would be perfect, but I'm not sure about the c50. Hopefully I can ride it some today and get a feel for it. I've never ridden a shaft drive.

I know he has a sissy bar and some other minor add-ons, and if he coughed up the dough I could put some of it towards a new seat (if needed)and maybe have enough to take my wife on one of the trips she's been dieing to go on.

I kind of wanted Harley just so I could completely de-chrome one and of course for the :911: FREEDOM!!!

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Background:

I'm going to have to start commuting to work for 12 miles (20-30 minutes) each way. I live in San Francisco, and used to use mass transit, but my job is closing our downtown office and asking everyone to start coming into the South Bay office instead.

About Me:

I have never been on a motorcycle. I don't have a parking spot and I live in the Mission where cars get vandalized all the time, so I have no desire to own a car while I'm here. I am considering getting a motorcycle instead. I drove a beautiful E36 M3 for 5 years, so I'm not new to Automotive Insanity. I did all of the maintenance myself. I'm generally quite responsible, and am not interested in wheelies, weaving in and out of traffic, or being a douchebag with massively loud fartcans.

Questions:

I am completely clueless about motorcycles. It seems like an intimidating field to dive into because of the vast variety out there, with seemingly less organization than the car world. What kind of bikes should I be looking at? My bike-riding friends suggested that I keep it to low power, used, and cruiser-types (?). Any tips would be appreciated. None of the links in the OP work for me, otherwise I would have tried to do a bit more digging myself.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

I think the next model up (C90?) would be perfect, but I'm not sure about the c50. Hopefully I can ride it some today and get a feel for it. I've never ridden a shaft drive.

The C90/C90T would be the next model up. The biggest advantage of it and the M90 counterpart aside from the expected hp/capacity/etc are the hydraulic lifters. Which means no valve adjustments ever. It's not a big task and is only required every 7000 miles or so but a lot of people are afraid of it or ignore it and shoot themselves off to huge repair bill land.

Fuel injected + shaft drive + hydraulic lifters = change the oil and put gas in it and ride as far as typical maintenance goes.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Am I the only one who got temporarily confused by seeing "C50" and thinking you were saying this was a great bike for the expressway:

Getting to 90mph might be interesting at least.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Pissingintowind posted:

Background:

I'm going to have to start commuting to work for 12 miles (20-30 minutes) each way. I live in San Francisco, and used to use mass transit, but my job is closing our downtown office and asking everyone to start coming into the South Bay office instead.

About Me:

I have never been on a motorcycle. I don't have a parking spot and I live in the Mission where cars get vandalized all the time, so I have no desire to own a car while I'm here. I am considering getting a motorcycle instead. I drove a beautiful E36 M3 for 5 years, so I'm not new to Automotive Insanity. I did all of the maintenance myself. I'm generally quite responsible, and am not interested in wheelies, weaving in and out of traffic, or being a douchebag with massively loud fartcans.

Questions:

I am completely clueless about motorcycles. It seems like an intimidating field to dive into because of the vast variety out there, with seemingly less organization than the car world. What kind of bikes should I be looking at? My bike-riding friends suggested that I keep it to low power, used, and cruiser-types (?). Any tips would be appreciated. None of the links in the OP work for me, otherwise I would have tried to do a bit more digging myself.

Take the motorcycle safety course.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Take the motorcycle safety course.

Thanks, I'll do that, but are there any standard go-to bikes that are commonly recommended for newbies?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

R1 ......... I've never owned a "cruiser" bike, I'm kind of curious to walk on that side of things for a little while.

I just noticed this.

If you're coming off an R1 you'll probably want to skip the C50 for sure. Adjusting to a cruiser's seating position, low center of gravity, and dramatic difference in using handle bars for handling is going to be an adjustment that will take more than a test drive to adjust to. You'll have a hard enough time with that without wondering where all the torque you're accustomed to disappeared to.

The 1000 cc's of your R1 will only be matched by 1800 'power cruisers'. The lazy v-twin found in every day cruisers is not at all the same. As a fan of cruisers I had to get a bike with fake ram air scoops on it just to get close.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Pissingintowind posted:

:words:
are there any standard go-to bikes that are commonly recommended for newbies?
Ninja 250 is usually what is commonly recommended.

Hey, I'm in SF too and made a switch similar to you, except I don't commute on my bike. I had a number of cars that were all pretty much for pleasure since I rode Muni to downtown (and still do, or sometimes bicycle). I've been riding a Ninja 250 for a year and some things that still trouble me about the highway are the general feeling of edginess and fear, the effects of wind on such a light bike, and being able to brake in a reasonable distance with two wheels and no ABS. While I understand that most accidents happen at intersections and in the city, I'm still more scared on the highway simply because of the speed and the need to be alert.

That said, the motorcycle is awesome for getting through Bay Area traffic and, yes, you will start lane splitting as soon as you feel even a little comfortable.

Anyway, while a small cruiser might be fine they don't have as much power as a Ninja 250 and you might feel them lacking on the highway. I'd actually just do what everyone recommends and get a Ninja 250 unless you are on the bigger side... you might be fine with a Ninja 650 (which is also an okay starter bike, just bigger). I haven't ridden one personally, but it's my understanding they make excellent commuter bikes.

The thing to think about with commuting is that you'll be at the mercy of the weather. You probably want something with fairings that you can put hardbags on, etc. I think the Ninja 650 fits the bill.

Of course, all this depends on *when* you plan to start commuting. If you have time to putter around in the city before having to jump into your motorcycle commute, then you have the luxury of being able to get an easy low power cruiser or standard to get started and then get the bigger bike when you start commuting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Right now I don't have any cash to offer with my bike so it's either an outright trade or their bike + cash depending on what it is. I like VFR's but I'm not sure that would work for her, I've been looking into the Concours as well. I've never owned a "cruiser" bike, I'm kind of curious to walk on that side of things for a little while.
You could probably get a really good deal on a previous gen Concours if they float your boat. Looks are not everyones cup of tea but they are very reliable and capable.

A lot of people but aftermarket seats on them with backrests. You might be able to find one used ready to go or, if not, a used seat on a Connie forum.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Halo_4am posted:

I just noticed this.

If you're coming off an R1 you'll probably want to skip the C50 for sure. Adjusting to a cruiser's seating position, low center of gravity, and dramatic difference in using handle bars for handling is going to be an adjustment that will take more than a test drive to adjust to. You'll have a hard enough time with that without wondering where all the torque you're accustomed to disappeared to.

The 1000 cc's of your R1 will only be matched by 1800 'power cruisers'. The lazy v-twin found in every day cruisers is not at all the same. As a fan of cruisers I had to get a bike with fake ram air scoops on it just to get close.

The R1's been gone for about 2 1/2 years now, since then I've owned an '81 Honda CM200T and my DRZ400SM(current bike). I don't need a monstrous cruiser, but the ability to outrun a nutjob in a car is important to me. My big concern is that all the reviews I've read say it's a great "beginner bike" and that most people move up within a few years. I'm looking less for a beginner bike and more for the next step up.

slidebite posted:

You could probably get a really good deal on a previous gen Concours if they float your boat. Looks are not everyones cup of tea but they are very reliable and capable.

A lot of people but aftermarket seats on them with backrests. You might be able to find one used ready to go or, if not, a used seat on a Connie forum.

I'd love a connie, I just need to find someone that wants to trade one for my bike. My Grandpa just got rid of his 2011 concours for a Dyna Glide. He said his main issue was he was to short for the connie, I'm shorter than him so that is a concern. However like with the Boulevard I've never ridden one and I don't want to pass judgement on one until I ride it myself. At the moment all options are on the table, from Goldwings to Hawgs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I understand. Can't you just sell your bike first or did I miss something obvious?

Regarding the height, the gen 2-2.5 (2008+) C-14 Connies are quite a different animal than the old ones. I'm 5'11 w/32" inseam and I wouldn't want to be any shorter either on mine.

The older ones aren't quite as tall so it shouldn't as be as big of an issue for you... and I am assuming that's the gen you're looking at given your budget?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pissingintowind posted:

Questions:

Do the beginner rider course. This immediately puts you on the not-dying side of the statistics equation.

As for bikes, look at what you think you'll like. Aim for under 70 horsepower. There are definitely a few learner bikes to choose from depending on what you like and how much you think you should spend.

Some late-ish model common standard/sporty ones: Kawasaki Ninja 250, 500, and 650 - Honda CBR250 - Suzuki SV650, GS500, GSF500, TU250 - BMW G650.

Cruiser-wise, anything under say 1100cc makes pretty manageable power for a beginner - the limiter on cruisers for most newbies is how much weight they're comfortable muscling around in a parking lot or at stop lights. It's not unmanageable for a little person on a huge bike (especially with a cruiser seat height) but chances of drops is pretty high with a heavy bike until you get the hang of keeping them upright.

If you are seriously considering cruisers, I would pass on the tiny cruiers and look at more like Vulcan 500s, Vstar 650s, Boulevard S40/Savage 650s, Boulevard C50, and Shadow 750s. None of these can really get out of their own way without much effort and are kind of bare-minimum for enjoyable highway use.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

slidebite posted:

I understand. Can't you just sell your bike first or did I miss something obvious?

Regarding the height, the gen 2-2.5 (2008+) C-14 Connies are quite a different animal than the old ones. I'm 5'11 w/32" inseam and I wouldn't want to be any shorter either on mine.

The older ones aren't quite as tall so it shouldn't as be as big of an issue for you... and I am assuming that's the gen you're looking at given your budget?

My bike is my commuter, I ride year round and without a bike I don't have a way to get to work. I'm 5' 7" with a 29" inseam, I'm a short guy. I think the weight of the sport touring bikes would make toe-stops like I do on the DRZ difficult. Thanks for the info, I knew the connies had been shorter (coworker traded an '03 when he got his BMW 1200GT cruiser) but I didn't know when exactly they got taller.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I think the weight of the sport touring bikes would make toe-stops like I do on the DRZ difficult.

I have a 30" inseam and a bike with a 33" seat height (lower when I'm on it I suppose). I put my left toe down and leave the right foot on the brake at stops pretty easily.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
So just to get a feel for prices, I've found:

2003 BMW F650CS - $3900
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/3268902011.html

2012 Honda CBR250R - $4600
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/3238710293.html

2002 BMW R1100S - $4100
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3272490287.html

Any of these reasonable? Again, not going to go out and make an impulse purchase, just trying to feel out my local market.

edit: I'm not a small guy. 6 foot 2, 200 pounds.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For me, those are a little pricey for a first ride. For you they may not be, considering you live in the city and your previous car was an M3.

Out of the three, the R1100s is the only one I'd say you could get into trouble easily with and should probably pass on. They're heavier than they look, make over 80 horsepower, and have some riding quirks with the long-mounted engine torque action.

F650CS and CBR250R would be excellent options. No matter what, try to find reasons to dicker the price down when viewing the bike. Like bald tires, scratches, rusty bolts, and worn out brake pads.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Halo_4am posted:

Getting to 90mph might be interesting at least.

These guys ride them at speeds APPROACHING ONE HUNDRED MILES AN HOUR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpq4OyPEt8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A big advantage of the F650CS is that they can often be found with ABS at fairly reasonable prices (compared to other bikes with ABS), and it's belt driven which means low maintenance. It also has a fair amount of internal storage.

You just need to come to terms with its wonky looks.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 19, 2012