Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Let's not discount technology advances. A lot has happened in the 5/9 years that heroes ended/started. It's a lot more feasible now to have a SFX heavy show than it was even just half a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, Heroes became poo poo towards the end of the first season but it's early episodes were genuinely well made and interesting for the time. I mean, they have major chunks spoken in Japanese with subtitles and a cast of a dozen characters, all of different genders and nationalities.

It was never great, but it did some stuff that was pretty brave for a network drama back then.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, Heroes became poo poo towards the end of the first season but it's early episodes were genuinely well made and interesting for the time. I mean, they have major chunks spoken in Japanese with subtitles and a cast of a dozen characters, all of different genders and nationalities.

It was never great, but it did some stuff that was pretty brave for a network drama back then.

No it didn't, it was just copying :lost: in that regard and riding its coattails.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I was gonna say they were roughly contemporaneous, but apparently Lost predates Heroes by 2 years so you might be right.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

Let's not discount technology advances. A lot has happened in the 5/9 years that heroes ended/started. It's a lot more feasible now to have a SFX heavy show than it was even just half a decade ago.

Yeah, but Marvel's Agents of SHIELD has Disney bucks behind it and they still manage to do nothing with their "powered" characters that the original Heroes didn't do 100 times better. The main girl's power is "cause the camera to shake." There's also Blue Cartoon Lightning Guy, who gets knocked out before he ever uses his power; and Hedgehog Woman, who doesn't actually have a power besides looking stupid.

edit: I forgot when the bad guys assembled a Legion of Doom. The villains consisted of a woman who had nail files screwed to her fingers and a guy who put people to sleep when he talked (ie a power that requires zero special effects).

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 14, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Apropos of nothing, at some point I want to see Adult Swim do a genre spoof series like Children's Hospital or NTSF:SD:SUV:: for supernatural teenagers, or alternatively, teenagers in a post-apocalyptic society who are special because the narrative says that they are.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Y-Hat posted:

supernatural teenagers, or alternatively, teenagers in a post-apocalyptic society who are special because the narrative says that they are.

You just described most of their Saturday anime lineup.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Y-Hat posted:

Apropos of nothing, at some point I want to see Adult Swim do a genre spoof series like Children's Hospital or NTSF:SD:SUV:: for supernatural teenagers, or alternatively, teenagers in a post-apocalyptic society who are special because the narrative says that they are.

Sadly we've been waiting how many years now for episode 2 of their Pretty Little Liars spoof, "Filthy Sexy Teens". Or did it happen and I just didn't notice?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Nominated for the "Best Drama" Emmy, too, the year after Lost won it, I believe.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 15, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Emmy's are just random as hell. Remember when 24 was Best Drama winner?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the 10 ceremonies from 2000 to 2009, the Outstanding Drama Series award was monopolised by The West Wing, The Sopranos and to a lesser extent Mad Men, except 2005 and 2006, when it went to Lost and 24. Of course, I think the latter was almost always nominated for the award.

I wonder what will stand the test of time. I'm not sure whether all the Steven Bochco or David E. Kelley series that won all the time from about 1980 to 2000 have lasted, but then again, those have always been reruns to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I was gonna say they were roughly contemporaneous, but apparently Lost predates Heroes by 2 years so you might be right.

Heroes premiered during the first half of season 3 of :lost:, which at the time felt incredibly padded and directionless. It ended up improving in the second half of the season and had a great finale, right as Heroes managed to poo poo the bed.

bull3964 posted:

Agents of SHIELD is fun but it looks loving cheap as hell. The scenes on top of the carrier in the finale were embarrassing, and that was just basic composition stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sadly we've been waiting how many years now for episode 2 of their Pretty Little Liars spoof, "Filthy Sexy Teens". Or did it happen and I just didn't notice?

It ended up being picked up by some other channel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's the deal with Pretty Little Liars? Like, shouldn't they all have graduated college by now?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Heroes premiered during the first half of season 3 of :lost:, which at the time felt incredibly padded and directionless.

That was the fish biscuits wasn't it? That was so bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

IRQ posted:

Yup. The season started with fish biscuits, and ended with Not Penny's Boat.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

I just finished a Lost rewatch (skipping only Stranger In A Strange Land) and while the first few S3 episodes did drag a bit they do work better when you don't have to wait eight months to see the rest of the season. It's helped along by a few things people tend to forget about, like Rob McElina--McElin--Mac from Always Sunny showing up as a random Other and Juliet being pretty goddamn awesome.

Also gently caress all the ending haters, I had tears in my eyes starting with the final church scene and was full on bawling when Vincent showed up. Jack didn't die alone :unsmith:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

EL BROMANCE posted:

I"m sad that a second episode of this hasn't been made.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
According to Wikipedia that got picked up for an eight episode order by some online TV network a few months ago.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

precision posted:

What's the deal with Pretty Little Liars? Like, shouldn't they all have graduated college by now?

Each season doesn't equate to a full year. At this point they're all weeks away from graduating high school, so the series has taken place over something like two years.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Should I watch Wayward Pines?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShakeZula posted:

Each season doesn't equate to a full year. At this point they're all weeks away from graduating high school, so the series has taken place over something like two years.

I meant, aren't the actresses on the show like 25 by now?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

precision posted:

Didn't stop Glee

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus if they are they were 20 when it started so they were too old then too.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Woods Fan posted:

Yeah give it a shot. The entire premise falls apart if you put any semblance of thought into it, but the actors are good and I enjoy the world they've built for the story. They don't hold out the big mysteries for long either, one episode is basically 100% exposition - literally a teacher sitting in class explaining the towns secrets to the children

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

James Woods Fan posted:

No.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

precision posted:

Teen Wolf had a 31 year old playing 17 for 3 years. She left because Goddamn, there is just no amount of moisturizer that was going to keep that going for much longer.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Plus if they are they were 20 when it started so they were too old then too.

Pretty Old Liars

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Boogaleeboo posted:

Teen Wolf had a 31 year old playing 17 for 3 years. She left because Goddamn, there is just no amount of moisturizer that was going to keep that going for much longer.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/70251/the-oldest-high-schoolers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They had to move Cordelia off Buffy to Angel cause they realised there was no way anyone would keep buying Charisma Carpenter as a teenager

Not that this stopped them with Nick Brendon :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

James Woods Fan posted:

Do you like goofy, hammy shows with a great cast and a totally ridiculous premise? Go for it. I think it's super fun.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

precision posted:

This is how TV and movies work because actual 15 and 16 year olds tend to be highschool theater level actors, for reasons that should be obvious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mrking posted:

This is how TV and movies work because actual 15 and 16 year olds tend to be highschool theater level actors, for reasons that should be obvious.

We're talking about ABC Family and MTV here.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mrking posted:

They also have more restriction that they have to follow unless their name is John Landis.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

precision posted:

One of them will even be 30 this year!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Sasha Pieterse, who plays Allison on PLL, was the only one of the group who was actually close to her character's age, and was used very sparingly over the first couple of seasons. Not coincidentally, she became a much bigger part of the show once she turned 18.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Somehow my local cable company couldn't get finalize a deal with the local NBC affiliate. So I am without regular NBC for who knows how long.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

Somehow my local cable company couldn't get finalize a deal with the local NBC affiliate. So I am without regular NBC for who knows how long.

It's not like you're missing out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Kristen Bell was 25 when she played Veronica Mars and that show kicks rear end, I'd rather they pick good actors and gently caress realism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
With Season 2 dropping a little under 36 hours from now, Alan Sepinwall does a better job than I ever will explaining why BoJack Hoseman is so goddamn good.

• Locked thread