Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do think it's very weird that the ending came all at once and seemingly dropping all the momentum that the story was building, so there's something wrong there. It's really disappointing that most of the cast didn't get any sendoff, that feels wrong.

I'm not really left desperately wanting more because the writing was on the wall for a while and the last few years of the comic were already cluttered and messy and not really what I liked best about the comic at its prime, but it's still weird to think that a lot of plot hooks it left lying around never got picked up. The UNS was just kinda forgotten. And now I guess there's one of the few comics I was still following closely gone. One of the oldest webcomics. I wonder what the guy will do now.

And apparently the artist of Girl Genius just had a health scare, which is why it didn't update this week. It's always scary to remember just how things can go wrong with people you only know of through the internet, and you'll be left not knowing anything except for the fact that there's been radio silence.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php#.XxsRiBJ7niw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I feel like he wanted to wrap the comic up on its twentieth anniversary and realized far too late that the "six days of wheel-spinning and then the plot moves on Sunday" pacing he'd been maintaining for so long had made that impossible, and his insane work ethic collided with his desire to be done, so he just shoved it all into the last month. It's all the major plot beats left in the story provided with just barely enough narrative thread between them to avoid being totally incoherent.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Emrikol posted:

I feel like he wanted to wrap the comic up on its twentieth anniversary and realized far too late that the "six days of wheel-spinning and then the plot moves on Sunday" pacing he'd been maintaining for so long had made that impossible, and his insane work ethic collided with his desire to be done, so he just shoved it all into the last month. It's all the major plot beats left in the story provided with just barely enough narrative thread between them to avoid being totally incoherent.

Yeah, that's the feel I get too. Way too many plot threads were set up in this book and then suddenly left dangling by this breakneck-speed ending, like the Eina-Afa elections. I can't blame him for wanting to be done after twenty years of consistent daily comics, though.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I think of it as an extention of zooming out to show the scale. Only all we can see is a dot in the void. Maybe he'll revisit the ending someday if he comes back to this after his break.

He certainly won't need to.

Resident Mad Scientist was my favorite stories, and more than once over the years I'd go back and binge an arc. Unlike say, Gunnerkrigg Court or Scary-go-round or K6BD though, I'd never binge all of it.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Longshoreman of the Apocalypse still stands as a shining example of black comedy to me.

Unfortunately, the comic lost a lot of it's luster during Random Access Memorabilia, where it was obvious Tayler was going for the same kind of black comedy as LOTA, but missed the mark and landed squarely in bleakness and despair instead.

Still, it's a little strange to hit that link in my bookmarks I have hit nearly every day for 19 years, and only then realize it's done and gone.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think my favorite arc of Schlock Mercenary was right after they got ejected by one of the big storylines and they were on a small ship just trying to find jobs to do to make payroll and get by. I want a Mass Effect game like that.

They had a lot of scaling-back chapters like that in the comic after big huge galaxy-spanning narratives where they saved the day and wound up losing a lot, but I think the one I'm thinking about there was that purple lady with them to keep an eye on them for the UNS.

It seems like there was a lot of buildup with the UNS schemes that wer just dropped.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems like there was a lot of buildup with the UNS schemes that wer just dropped.

Or the squid people allied with the UNS that were obviously preparing some sort of genocidal betrayal and that went nowhere.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

Or the squid people allied with the UNS that were obviously preparing some sort of genocidal betrayal and that went nowhere.

Pretty sure that scheme paid off with the internal affairs polar bear, and his self-replicating gun. Kevyn's sister gave a big speech at the end of that storyline. The officers behind it got wiped out in a flashback, but the fishfolk got off lightly.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The whole Schuul uprising seems to have just been a sideshow vehicle for showcasing the worst-case scenario of Redhack; uncountable number of unsuspecting citizens turning into hostile agents from one moment to the next, with no indication of it until they reveal themselves. It's a more extreme example of the Gav subversion that took place on Osiris and hammers home that the capability is out in the wild now and will see use in future conflicts.

Breya's point at the end of the arc that the galaxy would have to find a way to set aside old grudges now that they're all practically immortal becomes all the more important for it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
As a heads up, O Human Star has put up a Kickstarter for volume 3 of the comic, which will be the last (it's ending soon). In case anyone is interested.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
In Widdershin news, really appreciating Sidney's dad's popeye the sailor man arms :allears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ben trying to sell "And neither am I" as a badass line, but all he does is confuse people.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Edit: Lmao wrong thread.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I know that it's supposed to be establishing two different places but it's really hard not to read today's Vattu as "Where is Bakrah?! *crowd turns around* Oh, over there."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile in QC, the big guy may be finally be about to kiss the small guy, or possibly the small woman, or both.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile in QC, the big guy may be finally be about to kiss the small guy, or possibly the small woman, or both.

Elliot is a giant goofball and he's adorable.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I want the robot to kiss the small woman.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Android Blues posted:

I want the robot to kiss the small woman.

They have definitely had the best chemistry of any QC pairing so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Re: Today's Oscar Wilde

Oh no

Oh nooo

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

So, has everyone been clicking to schlock mercenary every day out of mindless habit, or is it just me?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

oriongates posted:

So, has everyone been clicking to schlock mercenary every day out of mindless habit, or is it just me?

Yeah I've done that quite a few times.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah I've done that quite a few times.

Yeah, for about the past 20 years.

:stat::wal: DOHOHOHOHO!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

oriongates posted:

Used to do that with Arthur, King of Space and Time when it ended years ago.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

oriongates posted:

Never read it, but, I know the feeling from other comics. Also, since I still can't post on UF for whatever technical reasons, send best wishes to NJ for me. Also I'm liking your run down of the undead types so far!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Twenty Four posted:

Never read it, but, I know the feeling from other comics. Also, since I still can't post on UF for whatever technical reasons, send best wishes to NJ for me. Also I'm liking your run down of the undead types so far!

Thanks! I wish we could figure out what the problem with the comment system is, because if you can't post you probably aren't the only one.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So we're all reading Widdershins, right? Sid's dad rules, right?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So we're all reading Widdershins, right? Sid's dad rules, right?

I literally cannot look at a panel he's in without hearing the Popeye song

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Today’s QC is entirely unsurprising and extremely cute.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm having an issue trying to read the latest update on KC Green's Pinocchio:

Anyone else seeing this? Is it a Tumblr issue? Can someone repost the pages so I can actually read it?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I was having that same exact issue, it was really weird, I could glimpse the panels foe a moment when I refreshed the page.

It's all good on the actual website though, http://pino.kcgreendotcom.com/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh, good. I didn't know there was another source for the comic other than Tumblr. I thought it was a little weird he chose to post it there. I'll switch my feed to that.

I'm also having the same issue where it loads for a moment then breaks. Must be a Tumblr thing.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 16, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Unfortuantely as far as I can tell the website doesn't have an RSS feed, which is why I was subscribed to the tumblr one in the first place

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah now I remember the same. That's annoying :(

Ah well I got to read it, finally.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The new Steeple story, SECRET SENTAI, has begun.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Has any one read the comic that will always make you cry? Even if it's happy, it makes you cry (if you read any of the previous ones). It is awesome.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SpannerX posted:

Has any one read the comic that will always make you cry? Even if it's happy, it makes you cry (if you read any of the previous ones). It is awesome.
I got a single random page, and it shot me in the loving heart.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Mods ban this filth that's a cursed image

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If we're still promoting new comics in the thread, I've been reading Lunar Maladies for a while and it's turning out to be a more interesting mystery than I expected it to be.

Verse is pretty cool, too. It reminds me a bit of the art style and dark-ish fantasy tone of Necropolis. Not entirely sure what's up with it now though. The creator was dropping single page updates for a while after the first volume ended, but she's taken them all down now and I guess plans to drop them as a single update when they're done? Worth keeping an eye on at least.

The Thief of Tales is a cute, light comic about a thief being guided through a magic forest by a wolf god. It has very charming art and is nice to read.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

I got a single random page, and it shot me in the loving heart.

Yeah, the web design leaves a lot to be desired. I found her(?) on FB somehow so I've read them all over there. Here's a direct link to her stories. And the first one is on page 2.

So, if you want your heart ripped out with every comic, read this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile in QC, the small guy was not sure if he wanted to kiss the big guy, but the friendly local librarian was able to sort this out in ten seconds.

Remember, reading is Fun-damental!