Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

waitwhatno posted:

- he caused Andrea's death, leaving Brock an orphan

Hahahah yes

What a dickbag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

waitwhatno posted:

- he got Jane back into drugs

- he scammed his parents out of the house

Like I said he was a lowlife, but not a murderous murderer. He did kill but it was half by Walt's command and half to save their lives.

Also his parents deserved that poo poo, they were annoying :)

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

PantsBandit posted:

Maybe share some chips with melted cheese? Hmm?

Yes, obviously!

Well, I mean, until I remind myself of who he really is...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bleh Maestro posted:

Like I said he was a lowlife, but not a murderous murderer. He did kill but it was half by Walt's command and half to save their lives.

He also killed someone during the getaway in Mexico, after Gus poisoned the cartel leadership. But OK, murderous was a little bit too much, I admit. Even Walt never really enjoyed the killing.

I still think that his remorse is not an excuse. He willingly got into the meth empire business, out of greed and ambition. He chose this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did you even watch the show? Jesse tried to get out of the game a few times and Walt kept loving him over.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

And Walt remorselessly maneuvered to have people killed and Broc poisoned just to get an edge in the game multiple times. He definitely enjoyed it towards the later seasons.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Did you even watch the show? Jesse tried to get out of the game a few times and Walt kept loving him over.

:ssh:

After Walt started working with Gale in the lab, Jesse started his own independent meth empire because he didn't want to be out of the game. After Gus's death, he willingly joined Walt's new meth empire. The only time when he really wanted to be out was in one or two episodes in season 5, towards the end.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Bleh Maestro posted:

Jesse's parents were flawed, yes, but their treatment of him shouldn't be viewed in a vacuum. They had for all intents in purposes done their best to raise a kid who seemed to willingly throw it all away every chance he got so that he could make and sell drugs and hang around violent and lost people. Comparisons to Walt can be drawn here.

If you'll remember they were also raising an impressionable young boy and everyone that took Jesse in or got involved with him paid for it in some way. From the perspective of Jesse, buying his parents house at cost was a wonderfully cathartic moment. From the perspective of his parents it was a vindictive move from a son they were saddened to cut ties with because of his self-destructive tendencies.

The most beautiful scene in the series I think, and the one that perfectly encapsulates Jesse's character, is the scene where he works tirelessly to mold and craft this gorgeous wooden box that is ultimately traded away for an ounce of weed that's just going to go up in a cloud of smoke anyway.

Walt and Jesse were looking for a surrogate son and father in the new and terrible lives they had willingly created for themselves, and their poisonous relationship is reflective of and proportional to the good relationships they had thrown away.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

He used Character Actress Margo Martindale to sabotage his rock opera! :argh:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

waitwhatno posted:

to be fair he did have a point about it being rightfully his house

and he did pay them like 400 grand or some poo poo for it

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kajeesus posted:

Chuck and Jimmy's relationship is very different from Walt and his family's, because it very much goes both ways. Chuck inflicted a psychosomatic disorder on himself and spent an entire season manipulating Jimmy while keeping his ultimate goal out of reach, just because Jimmy wanted to practice law, and this season we're starting to see how Jimmy's convincing himself that Chuck is the agent of every setback that happens around him.
Speaking as someone who recently realized a close friend was actually incredibly psychologically abusive to me, and who still has to deal with that person being in my social circle, I can attest that it is very easy to slip into a mindset that someone like that is responsible for everything wrong with that part of your life. When someone fools you so badly and you only realize in hindsight how basically every single meaningful interaction with them was them manipulating you in a way where if it was a movie or book you would go "oh hey, that's a red flag," you can lose yourself to the idea that they're this Machiavellian puppetmaster, instead of just a person with their own fears, insecurities, and feelings.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WickedHate posted:

He used Character Actress Margo Martindale to sabotage his rock opera! :argh:

What are youuuuu doing here? :mad:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

God Hole posted:

intents in purposes

AND

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Intensive and purposes?? That makes no sense!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

waitwhatno posted:

His parents were huge douches who deserved to be scammed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He may have gotten Jane back on weed, but she got him hooked on heroin.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

He may have gotten Jane back on weed, but she got him hooked on heroin.

He... gave her meth actually. And then she got him and her on heroin. Actually meth/heroin speedballs :eng101:

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Nobody in BB was morally 'clean', except for Walt Jr.
Well, even he had his moments with trying to get someone to buy him beer, being lovely to his mom and telling her to stop being a bitch, and telling his dad to just DIE ALREADY. Shall we say he was technically a horrible human being too?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

MadSparkle posted:

Well, even he had his moments with trying to get someone to buy him beer, being lovely to his mom and telling her to stop being a bitch, and telling his dad to just DIE ALREADY. Shall we say he was technically a horrible human being too?

Walt Jr. was definitely on the pot off-screen.

E; Flynn was his hippy stoner name

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Huell Did Nothing Wrong

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
poo poo, I don't remember that. I remember Hank driving him out to that motel and showing him meth teeth but I thought that was because of the beer thing, not pot.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

MadSparkle posted:

No one should like breakfast that much.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Holly was definitely a bad seed too; she started smoking before she was even born.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
This is cool http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vince-gilligan-walter-white-gray-matter_us_56e85f27e4b0b25c91838d57

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

waitwhatno posted:

Yeah what was he thinking trying to escape from the nazis who enslaved him.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Karmine posted:

Hey, he didn't have it so bad there. Todd even offered to get him ice cream!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I thought this was pretty obvious already but it's cool that it's confirmed.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Karmine posted:

It's absolutely understandable that he would try to run away, but he also did so with knowledge that the Nazis were keeping tabs on Andrea and Brock. It was probably a really difficult decision for him. But he did take that risk.

E: I definitely don't put the blame squarely on his shoulders, if anything it's mostly Walt's fault for giving the Nazis her information without thinking about the consequences.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Last Chance posted:

I kinda thought there was something else to the story like a reason that he got all weird and bailed out on that 4th of July or whatever it was, or some other interaction later, but it is interesting to me that it was literally just Walt's stupid pride/shame combo that he just silently walked out and never came back and got mad that they went on without him.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Karmine posted:

I don't think the nazis killed Andrea because he tried to run away, but because he said that he will never cook for them again and that he would rather die.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that you shouldn't have a family when you are running a meth empire. Or rather you shouldn't run a meth empire, when you have a family. Because crazy people will constantly try to kill your family or try to poison your kids.

That's why Skylar freaked out and send the kids to Hank, when Walt started blowing up cartel middle management. She knows what's up.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

E: I definitely don't put the blame squarely on his shoulders, if anything it's mostly Walt's fault for giving the Nazis her information without thinking about the consequences.

Walt buddying up with the nazis was basically the point of no return for anything good happening to any of the main characters when you think about it.

It's also the moment where I lose every last shred of sympathy for Walt. I just finished a rewatch of Breaking Bad and pretty much every interaction Walt has with his kids in the last three episodes is loving tragic and heartbreaking but then you think "well yeah but this guy teamed up with literal nazis to save his own rear end so gently caress him."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MadSparkle posted:

poo poo, I don't remember that. I remember Hank driving him out to that motel and showing him meth teeth but I thought that was because of the beer thing, not pot.

That was because Skyler spoke with Marie obtusely about one of her family members smoking pot; Marie assumed it was Walt Jr. and told Hank.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Last Chance posted:

It makes me sad that Vince has to confirm this at all.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Who the gently caress thought Gretchen and Elliot were the bad guys in their relationship with Walt?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kajeesus posted:

Who the gently caress thought Gretchen and Elliot were the bad guys in their relationship with Walt?
Same people who look at "I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS" and go "Wow what a badass who isn't just scared as hell and yelling at his wife to feel strong."

I do agree with whoever said a few pages back that if you don't feel at least a little bit of "Hell loving yeah" when Walt's doing the "Say My Name" speech that you're missing the point of the show just as much as people who just want Skyler to let her husband be a badass, but it still irks me that that line is the one that took off.

"I prefer Option B" and "Your boss is gonna need me" are way better.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

God Hole posted:

The most beautiful scene in the series I think, and the one that perfectly encapsulates Jesse's character, is the scene where he works tirelessly to mold and craft this gorgeous wooden box that is ultimately traded away for an ounce of weed that's just going to go up in a cloud of smoke anyway.

That is probably my favorite scene of the whole series. I wish that last scene had been the first day of class at some random school and the teacher was revealed to be Jesse. He had finally applied himself.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Not to sound homo or anything but Howard owns some really great suits. When he enters the scene he just has this presence about him. It's hilarious also that Saul stole his collar pin from him for Breaking Bad. I like how all of HHM coordinates to that jackass (but effective) Hamlindigo color haha (again, not gay or anything, just admiring wardrobe for this awesome show).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Do you think Hamlin has ever watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

beep by grandpa posted:

Not to sound homo or anything but Howard owns some really great suits. When he enters the scene he just has this presence about him. It's hilarious also that Saul stole his collar pin from him for Breaking Bad. I like how all of HHM coordinates to that jackass (but effective) Hamlindigo color haha (again, not gay or anything, just admiring wardrobe for this awesome show).

Howard's suit game is on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I think Gretchen is the most sympathetic adult character in Breaking Bad. She obviously loved Walt and still has feelings for him despite him being such a raging rear end in a top hat- and despite his behavior she earnestly wanted to help him and do so in a respectful way.

One of the better reviews of the BB finale commented that one of its main weaknesses was depicting Gretchen and Elliot as these weak, limp wristed liberals who only existed for Walt to dominate and I really agreed with that assessment.

• Locked thread