Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I used to legit think wikileaks was cool.

I don't anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

I also don't rule out a Wikileaks bomb granting Trump the win. The entire world had Hillary 2016 pencilled in as soon as Obama beat McCain, and her stint as SoS was going to be a dry run that would be scrutinized with a fine tooth comb to determine her capacity to be president. Despite knowing that her record would be run under an electron microscope, Hillary ran her state department the way Trump runs his presidential campaign.

Sure except they would drop their October Surprise and that afternoon Trump would announce that as president he would implement martial law or something and the news cycle would flip on its head.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

What happens to the GOP all depends on the margin in November. If we don't see a blowout of historic proportions, Trumpism will take over the party and we will likely see the end of the Republican Party as we know it. If there is a massive wipeout for Trump in November, the party elites will succeed in taking back the party and we are back to business as usual.

I don't see how they could go back to business as usual in any case.

Business as usual for the last 30 years or so has involved cultivating hateful racists as a central part of electoral strategy. Trump shows where that leads. I don't know how you can just go back to the same Lee Atwater bullshit after flaming out with Trump.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well, I'm definitely taking my gun with me when I go vote.

Of course, I vote by mail, so my polling place is my dining room table. But I'll be vigilant to make sure there are no shenanigans going on.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Good morning sirs, Total Arab Death

sirs, do not be mean

TyrantWD posted:

Despite knowing that her record would be run under an electron microscope, Hillary ran her state department the way Trump runs his presidential campaign.

Erm, did she? Other than the email server thing, I have heard pretty much nothing particularly negative about the internal operation of State in her tenure. She's no Colin Powell (pre loving That One Goat), but.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Sure except they would drop their October Surprise and that afternoon Trump would announce that as president he would implement martial law or something and the news cycle would flip on its head.

Where could Trump be in October? I can't even fathom it.

He'll just appear on stage as an orange cloud of pure energy, having gone so utterly batshit that he has ascended beyond our plane of existence.

EDIT: the cloud is wearing a lovely toupee, of course

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

I also don't rule out a Wikileaks bomb granting Trump the win. The entire world had Hillary 2016 pencilled in as soon as Obama beat McCain, and her stint as SoS was going to be a dry run that would be scrutinized with a fine tooth comb to determine her capacity to be president. Despite knowing that her record would be run under an electron microscope, Hillary ran her state department the way Trump runs his presidential campaign.

Why would Assange hold back now if his goal was to keep Clinton from the Presidency or help Trump in? Trump's ship is sinking and he's clinging to the little bit of mast that's still above water.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yinlock posted:

Where could Trump be in October? I can't even fathom it.

He'll just appear on stage as an orange cloud of pure energy, having gone so utterly batshit that he has ascended beyond our plane of existence.

EDIT: the cloud is wearing a lovely toupee, of course

I hate to do this, but...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

speng31b posted:

EVEN FURTHER BEYOND

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Why would Assange hold back now if his goal was to keep Clinton from the Presidency or help Trump in? Trump's ship is sinking and he's clinging to the little bit of mast that's still above water.

Well if he doesn't have anything, pretending that he does is technically the most effective move, even if that effect is minuscule.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Subvisual Haze posted:

The most wonderful thing about Virginia going blue: we can finally have an election that doesn't swing on loving Ohio and Florida for once.

I'm still upset about Ohio in 2004. Should probably get over that.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

vyelkin posted:

Seriously. Anybody who feels like Arzying at any point just look at this map:

Clinton can lose Nevada, North Carolina, Iowa, Florida, and Ohio and still win the election because Virginia, Pennsylvania, Colorado, and New Hampshire are all Dem locks. This map is basically Trump's absolute best-case one-in-a-million scenario, and he still loses.
Ugh, I need more to get my fix. I need a landslide, I need the Dems to take the Senate and House, I need America to so thoroughly reject the Republicans for nominating someone so unqualified and downright dangerous for President that anyone is embarrassed to identify themselves as a member of that party after election day.

I expect to get less than half of that.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

The GOP has had it out for Hillary Clinton for over 20 years now, there's a certain amount of fatigue on the attacks against her. Short of an email detailing how Clinton killed Ben Ghazi there's no wikileaks bomb that would actually matter, and I don't even think that would matter.

While the polls for Hillary are strong, I don't think they are strong enough to withstand a definitive quid-pro-quo scandal dropped 10 days before the election. Unless Wikileaks end up having nothing more than Hillary's driver's friends, dry cleaners nephew was a vendor for a company that provided services to another company that is alleged to have bought oil from ISIS, I'd not rule out the possibility of the election being thrown Trump's way.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

speng31b posted:

Our lord and savior Donald MacCleod.

There can be only one. Let the quickening begin.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Erm, did she? Other than the email server thing, I have heard pretty much nothing particularly negative about the internal operation of State in her tenure. She's no Colin Powell (pre loving That One Goat), but.

Yeah I haven't heard anything that bad about Hillary's state dept. Everyone flipping out about the email situation is ignoring that some of that is what she inherited.

Her '08 primary campaign was a complete mess and was full of cronies, but it seems like '16 has been different. I don't see any of the same major names and it has been a lot smoother. Facing down a serious challenger didn't cause her to implode like it did in '08.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

While the polls for Hillary are strong, I don't think they are strong enough to withstand a definitive quid-pro-quo scandal dropped 10 days before the election. Unless Wikileaks end up having nothing more than Hillary's driver's friends, dry cleaners nephew was a vendor for a company that provided services to another company that is alleged to have bought oil from ISIS, I'd not rule out the possibility of the election being thrown Trump's way.

Evidence would have to be so strong and so obvious that it wouldn't need to be vetted or verified. Anything less and enough questions about authenticity and sources would exist that it might not have enough effect on a lopsided race by election time.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

God you're insufferable. Hillary's stood up to years of witch-hunt-level congressional scrutiny, turning over just about every stone that exists to be turned. But you're right, what swing voters really care about is Julian Assange's fevered global-puppeteer fantasies as he teeters on the edge of actual insanity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump's campaign opened an office across the street from the Pulse nightclub, which I find gross, especially being that I live here.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/764280992068665345

Gross, yet also strangely appropriate that a GOP presidential campaign office would set up across the street from a popular gay nightclub. Orlando Grindr might get very interesting for the next few months. :getin:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
No, but you see, Donald Trump is the most LGBT-friendly candidate in American history!

*picks rabid homophobe as veep* welp

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SSNeoman posted:

I don't anymore
same

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump's campaign opened an office across the street from the Pulse nightclub, which I find gross, especially being that I live here.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/764280992068665345

That's been an abandoned storefront for the past decade. That stretch of Orange Ave has terrible parking, too.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Trump is going for the old 11-State strategy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24QXGz0k7Ak

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TyrantWD posted:

Thankfully they have fuckall on her.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Zwabu posted:

I don't see how they could go back to business as usual in any case.

Business as usual for the last 30 years or so has involved cultivating hateful racists as a central part of electoral strategy. Trump shows where that leads. I don't know how you can just go back to the same Lee Atwater bullshit after flaming out with Trump.

I hope so, but my concern is, as with Nixon refining Goldwater's racist attitudes into something dogwhistley and palatable for loads of voters, all it takes is one halfway charismatic and clever Republican candidate to draw them back above 45% of the vote. Time is a flat circle and whatnot.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SSNeoman posted:

I don't anymore

Yeah Wikileaks and co can eat my rear end in a top hat at this point.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/262583859709882369

I know it's getting old to look at Trump's tweets but I just discovered his feud with Bette Midler.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/262584296081068033

And just for fun:

https://twitter.com/reince/status/758305200797020160

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

Y'all think Clint Eastwood is the only Trump supporter who likely went to a lynching and wants to go back to those days?

You're looking at this bloc of people as though they're all Freepers or eNazi alt righters but there's plenty who would be happy to reprise the old days when they'd idle in the parking lot of the polling place to compile a list of which black folks voted, then go beat the ever loving hell out of them or string them up from a tree or burn their house and/or church down.
Yeah, uh, on that note, I don't think I'll get into an elite IR grad program, so I'm ready to go "home" wherever that is

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SSNeoman posted:

I don't anymore

I liked them when they released the Collateral Murder video (the Helicopter audio/guncam leak). I haven't thought much of them since. Their releases became increasingly irrelevant over time, those releases were Assange's increasingly desperate grabs for more attention. Collateral Murder was in 2009, Assange's alleged act of rape was in 2010, and whether or not he did it his awful character was exposed more and more. He's declined to the point that Wikileaks is a literal mouthpiece for Putin. gently caress that guy and I hope he's being driven crazy in that tiny Ecuadorean embassy he calls home.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Pakled posted:

No, but you see, Donald Trump is the most LGBT-friendly candidate in American history!

*picks rabid homophobe as veep* welp

Doesn't he want the VP to do everything while he sits back and takes the credit for it?
Maybe....Trump will step in at that time.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

TyrantWD posted:

What happens to the GOP all depends on the margin in November. If we don't see a blowout of historic proportions, Trumpism will take over the party and we will likely see the end of the Republican Party as we know it. If there is a massive wipeout for Trump in November, the party elites will succeed in taking back the party and we are back to business as usual.

lol ok

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

chefvinny posted:

That's been an abandoned storefront for the past decade. That stretch of Orange Ave has terrible parking, too.

Holy poo poo.

Rawress
Feb 6, 2008

I will eat you alive.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I hope so, but my concern is, as with Nixon refining Goldwater's racist attitudes into something dogwhistley and palatable for loads of voters, all it takes is one halfway charismatic and clever Republican candidate to draw them back above 45% of the vote. Time is a flat circle and whatnot.

Someone competent coming in to work with Trump's share of the vote has to deal with that the entire base is literally dying off.

Conservatives had their watershed moment or whatever when their analysts said "you have to stop alienating everyone but old white people or you're done for" and they turned right around and made sure that 80% of anyone under the age of 40 today in this country will have been so set against conservatives that they will never vote for them again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

I also don't rule out a Wikileaks bomb granting Trump the win.

There's nothing. If they had something they wouldn't announce to the whole world that they did and give Clinton the time to prepare. They'd stay mum til October and pull it out at the last second. All they can do now is feed the narrative by implying there's more, but that won't be enough to sway anyone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Armani posted:

Holy poo poo.

a street named orange in florida the soothsayers warned of this

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Thaddius the Large posted:

That worked in the 70's when the electorate was vastly different than it is today. Without significant minority support, the Republicans are going to be in a hole right from the start of any presidential election and this is a problem that is only going to get worse each cycle. The Southern Strategy worked in the 70's because latinos were a much smaller demographic and blacks were still overcoming the recent end to a century of deliberate institutional disenfranchisement. That isn't the case anymore. A future Republican can't turn to dog whistle racism like Nixon or Reagan did and still hope to win. The whites who would base their vote on racial tactics like that are already pretty reliably voting for Republicans; future candidates need to pull in minority support and we tend to hear that dog whistle even louder than the ignorant whites its meant to pander to, so it's a tough sell if they're sticking with the southern strategy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

There's nothing. If they had something they wouldn't announce to the whole world that they did and give Clinton the time to prepare. They'd stay mum til October and pull it out at the last second. All they can do now is feed the narrative by implying there's more, but that won't be enough to sway anyone.

I dunno, I feel like if they really want to do damage to Clinton, they'd wait until about a week out and not give them the time to recover properly. If they did it now, there would be plenty of time for it to be covered and replaced by any number of Trump gently caress-ups.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I really don't think the alt-right losing the presidency for another four years while establishing an effective Dolchstoßlegende three months out bodes well for internal or foreign policy stability at all. "In certain sections of this state, they cheat and they can't win without cheating," Trump talking about loving PA.

As a bernie-left PoC, I just don't see it that way, the center cannot hold. Maybe if Hillary and the Republican establishment somehow wise-up and reject austerity either through student debt relief or massive green-energy-Keynesian stimulus spending (lol). MSNBC is already legitimizing the 'anger' against business republican immigration and lovely trade deals to explain the breakdown of recent voting patterns, which is a pretty bad sign as well IMO.

Also, I really didn't pay attenton at all but the fact that a "Remain" MP was gunned down in the UK with hardly any widespread outrage is already the biggest red flag possible if I'm being honest with myself.

"

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

Yoshifan823 posted:

I dunno, I feel like if they really want to do damage to Clinton, they'd wait until about a week out and not give them the time to recover properly. If they did it now, there would be plenty of time for it to be covered and replaced by any number of Trump gently caress-ups.

Yes, this is the obvious strategy, were this to happen.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

FAUXTON posted:

a street named orange in florida the soothsayers warned of this

If I was running a campaign and a large part of my detractor's criticisms are directly at my skin colour being the colour of unrefrigerated creme fraiche or other colorful food analogies, I'd probably think twice before setting up shop on White St

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Rawress posted:

Someone competent coming in to work with Trump's share of the vote has to deal with that the entire base is literally dying off.

Conservatives had their watershed moment or whatever when their analysts said "you have to stop alienating everyone but old white people or you're done for" and they turned right around and made sure that 80% of anyone under the age of 40 today in this country will have been so set against conservatives that they will never vote for them again.

Conservatism may be at a low point, but populism isn't, and the next demagogue may not have the disadvantage of being a literally insane fascist. The next couple of decades may see a modern Huey Long, who could gently caress up the Democratic party (and possibly America) as much as a Trump presidency.

• Locked thread