Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Gum posted:

How are you determining that a test is a false negative rather than a genuine negative?

https://asm.org/Articles/2020/April/False-Negatives-and-Reinfections-the-Challenges-of

but you look at the NPV and make a judgement call, what's more likely: the test failed or we there's a bonkers new virus that completely evades adaptive immunity? the former.

the acid test is that if it were the latter, we'd be seeing a bunch of unambiguous reinfections, and we really aren't (yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Rt. of states. 1.0 or more means increasing. https://rt.live/

:lmao: Ohio is going to be in the red soon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grundulum posted:

How is it possible for NC’s transmission number to be so close to 1 when it is now routinely knocking on the door for top-5 new daily case counts?
This will happen if you have a ton of infected people. Based on the numbers google spits out, NC being at an Rt of 1 means the average infectious period is 17 days, which doesn't seem too far off? Going by the same number, the Rt in Texas is 1.6.

It's not gonna stay in the top 5 with an Rt of 1 though.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Has the existence of broadly common *asymptomatic* cases been proven?

Every time one of these pops up there’s never any follow up. If you test positive at the initial band of exposure and develop symptoms ten days later, you aren’t asymptomatic.
The study on Iceland points to 50% being asymptomatic, and beyond that there are probably a bunch of people whose symptoms are mild enough that they're just mistaken for a random cold. The antibody study in Spain also points to like 10x the number of infected compared to official cases, which would indicate a large pool of people with symptoms mild enough to never bother getting tested.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Clit airport

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao

Balkanize now

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Death Clt Airport

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

why is anyone flying right now i'm losing my mindddd

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
open
ERs
up!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lansdowne posted:

to own the libs

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

starting today you can’t go into the HEBs in Austin without a mask (again).

why they stopped requiring it is absolutely beyond me.

because abbott ret-conned what he meant by “you can’t fine people for not wearing masks”

it now means “you can fine businesses for serving people without a mask,” which is totally what it always meant you guys haha got you

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lansdowne posted:

I don't think Tickets are even cheap or anything because the Cares act means it costs about the same amount for an airline to fly an empty plane as it does to fly a full one.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

starting today you can’t go into the HEBs in Austin without a mask (again).

why they stopped requiring it is absolutely beyond me.

HE Butt

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

oxsnard posted:

insanely cool unit

Woodchip posted:

open
ERs
up!

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Has the existence of broadly common *asymptomatic* cases been proven?

Every time one of these pops up there’s never any follow up. If you test positive at the initial band of exposure and develop symptoms ten days later, you aren’t asymptomatic.

It's also possible that symptoms might not even be recognized. This morning I found out my antibody test came back positive. Assuming it's not a false positive, I guess I might have had some symptoms back in March. But all of them could have had other explanations too so I never gave it much thought.

- Joint pain and fatigue: for like two days. I figured I was sleeping weirdly. I realized I wasn't staying hydrated or eating enough and felt fine within a day or two once I was.
- Dry throat: started shortly after that went away. But it's allergy season anyway so I started taking Claritin and it went away.
- Fever: around the same time I started taking my temperature twice a day as a precaution. I had one reading at 100.8. Everything else was below 99.3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

lmao they're this stupid, they actually are drinking the koolaid rather than just doling it out. amazing.

he wants to reduce the optics around the WH as much as possible to convince more people to show up to future rallies, im pretty sure that's his entire goal

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

lol remember when journalists were breathlessly reporting china hiding death tolls by counting the demand for urns

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

openerup

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

you remember when i was like "we are still getting nearly 200 cases a day"?

my province is reopening

on wednesday

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

chmods please posted:

It's also possible that symptoms might not even be recognized. This morning I found out my antibody test came back positive. Assuming it's not a false positive, I guess I might have had some symptoms back in March. But all of them could have had other explanations too so I never gave it much thought.

- Joint pain and fatigue: for like two days. I figured I was sleeping weirdly. I made sure to stay hydrated and eat enough and felt fine within a day or two.
- Dry throat: started shortly after that went away. But it's allergy season anyway so I started taking Claritin and it went away.
- Fever: around the same time I started taking my temperature twice a day as a precaution. I had one reading at 100.8. Everything else was below 99.3.

Gonna be funny as hell if the cfr turns out to be like 0.0001 for anybody not in an old folks home and the chuds were right.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

ahahahahaha

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008

They should do a female version of Big Johnson shirts like Clit Clocks "It Takes a Lickin'"

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

wheeeeeeeee

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

cash crab posted:

you remember when i was like "we are still getting nearly 200 cases a day"?

my province is reopening

on wednesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SePVlroq6AI

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

is this the thunder

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

lmao they're this stupid, they actually are drinking the koolaid rather than just doling it out. amazing.

This is what I've been trying to explain to people the most. The last sliver of comfort people have is that at the very very least anyone in charge will act in their own self interest and that is just as much a fantasy as anything.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
it's me, the hospital admin that likes to put all my medsurg patients in the incredibly costly and resource demanding ICU just to try to take down trukp! Cannot wait until that $13,000 CMS reimbursement check after I spend $200,000 of actual resources to treat a mild covid patient. Too bad the lamestream media won't report on my insidious plan!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

mother in law had an ulcer repaired and we're going to pick her up later, unbelievably skeeved out at being in or near a hospital at all, she was tested and doesn't have covid at least so that's a plus

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica
In the last three hours:

- Local bar I haunted back in the Long Ago Before the Upsidedown that recently opened back up with patio and distancing had four regulars test positive. All staff is being tested.

- Two sushi chefs at a higher-end restaurant tested positive. Whole staff is being tested.

- Two patio workers at another bar I used to go to tested positive.

- Friend and the woman he's been seeing for a week both tested positive.

gently caress this is stupid

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wamsutta posted:

mother in law had an ulcer repaired and we're going to pick her up later, unbelievably skeeved out at being in or near a hospital at all, she was tested and doesn't have covid at least so that's a plus
*Didn't have it when she entered the hospital

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's ok folks. i have it on good authority that the virus is going away on its own

also in terms of elective surgery and whatnot my dad has some disc issue in his spine that is causing a lot of pain and he was going to get surgery but obviously that was delayed. so it would be really nice if we could keep a lid on all of this so he could have that done without catching the 'vid

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rhetoric-o-Tron posted:

In the last three hours:

- Local bar I haunted back in the Long Ago Before the Upsidedown that recently opened back up with patio and distancing had four regulars test positive. All staff is being tested.

- Two sushi chefs at a higher-end restaurant tested positive. Whole staff is being tested.

What inspired them to get tested

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Apraxin posted:

wheeeeeeeee

the best part of this is midway through march all the lockdowns happened

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Rhetoric-o-Tron posted:

In the last three hours:

have you considered there is one common denominator here?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

*Didn't have it when she entered the hospital

You're not wrong!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

spacemang_spliff posted:

hmm I wonder what ICU stands for

Insane Clown Unit

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

increasingly looking like I'll be going back to work in July. I work at a movie theater in nyc. life is just so precious

:ghana:

how is this not a forum emote yet

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
just noticed there were fewer than 300 deaths in the usa yesterday. this is part of the insanity with the southern states not bothering to suppress cases but are loving with the death certs , i'm 100% conspiracy theory on this

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
death likes to take sundays off to remember the sabbath in order to keep it holy

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Apraxin posted:

wheeeeeeeee

number has recovered, nature is healing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica

fosborb posted:

have you considered there is one common denominator here?

I mean I made out with all of them last week but I hardly think that had a anything to do with it.