Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

prometheus12345 posted:

You can change the key for the console in the controls menu.

Oh right, silly me. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Frungy! posted:

Aww now I'm really sad that I can't get the console to appear. Might have something to do with my weird Finnish/Swedish keyboard layout. :smith:

In this case I think you can rebind it, but this is generally an issue with how keyboards work now compared to the good old days. Used to be the american ~ sent the same PS/2 code as the unamerican § or whatever your language layout has to the left of 1. Now it goes by the actual character and ~ is very hard to transmit for most of us without changing keyboard layouts. (Side question: azerty layouts and wasd controls, do those ever conflict nowadays?)

In short, if ever I get to add a developer console to a game I will bind it to the å key. Then they will suffer as I have suffered.

E:fb. I blame needing to fiddle with tablet keyboard layouts to make this post.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A Catastrophe posted:

Is there a list of plot items? Although i'm not sure adding them back in like this would have the desires effect, once they vanish.
I don't think the quests breaking has to do with disappearing items - any quest item you drop in the main character's inventory is whisked away to a quest item stash. It's some persistence problem.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Weren't there supposed to be squid-headed godlikes?
I don't recall that tidbit. But there are always xpacs to consider for these things.

Ladolcevita
Dec 1, 2013

DrManiac posted:

It feels like there should be way more godlike types to me.

Yeah. The godlikes are my favorite thing about PoE. I'm kinda disappointed that we can't play as Hylea Godlikes. Is there a lore reason why we can't, given the fact that they do exit in the game and the artists had to create their assets anyway?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wild guess: Something to do with the companion's plot.

One of the little rewards of going over the beta repeatedly is that, while the lore items in Dyrford proper seem to be mostly hand-placed, lore items in the Skaen dungeon are random, so rifling around in shelves has yielded (spoilers if you don't want to know setting lore yet) a few books of prayer (Skaen and Eothas), a lyrical account of an encounter with some sort of ice spirit in the White That Wends, a historical account of the rise of St. Waidwen, a book describing the different monstrous sea creatures that bar travel east of the Deadfire Archipelago (including fairly gnarly-sounding swarms of deep-sea-squid mermen), and a book about an ultra-nationalist militant Dyrwoodan faction (of paladins??) called The Dozen, after the dozen peasant soldiers who sacrificed themselves to get St. Waidwen blowed up. Possible full game faction to align with?

If I have some time I might have to track that stuff down again and put it up on the wiki

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

rope kid posted:

The new pathing system makes Engagement much more strict and "snappy", so hopefully that will solve many of the problems.

Gridlike?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I was just testing to see if you can attack your own Monk to build wounds (it doesn't work), but then I stumbled on the fact that you can make someone force-attack themselves.

Like, you can get your dudes to hit themselves in the face until they die. goty

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Scorchy posted:

I was just testing to see if you can attack your own Monk to build wounds (it doesn't work), but then I stumbled on the fact that you can make someone force-attack themselves.

Like, you can get your dudes to hit themselves in the face until they die. goty

You'd better be able to mind control enemies and then force them to attack themselves in the final game.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't think the quests breaking has to do with disappearing items - any quest item you drop in the main character's inventory is whisked away to a quest item stash. It's some persistence problem.
Does this include things like keys and notes?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

A Catastrophe posted:

Does this include things like keys and notes?

A note and key associated with one of the main questlines in the beta doesn't seem to end up going straight to the quest items stash, unlike the ogre's head, but that might just be because I picked them up with non-protagonist characters?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

El Pollo Blanco posted:

You'd better be able to mind control enemies and then force them to attack themselves in the final game.

"Quit stabbing yourself. Quit stabbing yourself."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

El Pollo Blanco posted:

A note and key associated with one of the main questlines in the beta doesn't seem to end up going straight to the quest items stash, unlike the ogre's head, but that might just be because I picked them up with non-protagonist characters?
Yeah, it only drops into the stash when it goes into the main character's inventory. But it's entirely possible that items could be dropping off the face of the earth at this point.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Yeah this works. Getting a Druid to charm beetles and making them kill themselves is the new meta.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Basic Chunnel posted:

One of the little rewards of going over the beta repeatedly is that, while the lore items in Dyrford proper seem to be mostly hand-placed, lore items in the Skaen dungeon are random, so rifling around in shelves has yielded (spoilers if you don't want to know setting lore yet) a few books of prayer (Skaen and Eothas), a lyrical account of an encounter with some sort of ice spirit in the White That Wends, a historical account of the rise of St. Waidwen, a book describing the different monstrous sea creatures that bar travel east of the Deadfire Archipelago (including fairly gnarly-sounding swarms of deep-sea-squid mermen), and a book about an ultra-nationalist militant Dyrwoodan faction (of paladins??) called The Dozen, after the dozen peasant soldiers who sacrificed themselves to get St. Waidwen blowed up. Possible full game faction to align with?

:gizz:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Any possible way of producing those via console commands? Waiting for the next patch to get my revised fix is taking too long!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oi Rope Kid, one thing I was wondering about was the disposition mechanic - is its portrayal in the beta the way it actually works? Choosing a "rational" option in two different conversations, for example, does not produce a cumulative score on the character sheet, you simply get a "rational - 1". So the question is, do we only raise our disposition reputation through more significant dialogue options? I'd imagine this isn't how its actually supposed to work, I'll probably have to run through the ogre quest again, being that it offers the only "major" disposition option in the beta that I can see (it also offers the only regional reputation adjustment).

One thing that I've realized playing through the beta is that the Dyrford area is really pretty spare. I don't know if there's been content cut for the beta (the town's hollowborn problem, for example, is mentioned by many but is never brought up in active dialogue) but at a fetch quest, a monster hunting quest and the missing girl, it feels very slim. Then again, I might be overestimating the density of IE game backwater quests in my memory. Like, Imnesvale was just about this robust, right? Nashkel had quite a few more sidequests if you count the Prism bounty / miner's ring / winter wolf hunting. And of course BG2 made the most of its svelte map list by spreading quests across multiple regions, so we may yet find ourselves in Dyrford or the ruins beneath it on some other jaunt.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 24, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
You've missed the mob quest in Dyrford.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The disposition reputation isn't 1:1 with your inputs. There are different internal thresholds for each rank of a disposition based on the frequency with which is appears in the game. E.g. Cruel options do not come up often, so you have to make a relatively small number of them before your Cruel rep "levels up". Diplomatic and Benevolent options have high frequency so you have to select more of them before those reps gain ranks.

BG1 town quests were pretty slim. BG2 town quests were very dense. I think we're somewhere in the middle, and there are a few quests that have been disabled in the areas for story/area overlap reasons.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Ah okay, I forgot that you'd written that up before. I may just have to break out babby's first wiki edits for this game.

I understand the impulse behind the weighted disposition system but I can't help but feel a little perturbed by it anyway. I mean, the mechanical/numerical reflection makes sense, but getting more oomph out of sparse choices feels like a consolation prize compared to, well, less sparse choices. Especially when reactions are (presumably) based on the numeric system and not on specific player decisions made. I know it's the best we can get, but it still sorta sucks that a Bleak Walker's just not going to get that many opportunities to be bleak, even if those opportunities are mechanically significant.

I guess the other prospective issue is the mechanical incrementalism in abundant choices like diplomatic or benevolent. For some reason it reminds me of the weapon skills in Mass Effect 1, where every point in the progression marginally adjusted a number or two, making skill progression seem particularly low-impact. I imagine the default heroic players might get frustrated at the pace of change in their reputations, even though it makes sense logically as you've explained it.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You've missed the mob quest in Dyrford.
Oh yeah, and that one. More robust than Imnesvale then.

I think next time I'll play as the paladin order founded to protect the family that sent out the assassins. Maybe it'll be different? Judging from the XML, the main Skaen man had a pretty good number of variant reactions to the player based on class and disposition.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 24, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The quality of the writing should not suffer due to a drive for all personality types to have equal representation in conversations. One of the very reasonable criticisms of many RPG dialogue options is that the "evil" ones often feel shoved in and awkward.

[Drop kick the baby] "Bwahaha! I'm just so darn crazy and evil! Ha ha!"

We'd rather have some options come up less often and feel more appropriate in the situation than force it just to meet a reply quota.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't believe the game is being played right now, I'm trying to stay spoiler free, but man that is cool.

the gulper caper
Feb 22, 2004
tastes like candy

Basic Chunnel posted:

(spoilers if you don't want to know setting lore yet) a few books of prayer (Skaen and Eothas)

I liked the revelation at the end of the missing elf quest and the way the cultists turned out to be political rather than monochromatic evildoers. It'll be cool to see if there ends up being more involved stuff with them in the full game.

Has anyone figured out the secondary effect of greatswords? Its description seems to imply it does increased damage against beasts.

the gulper caper fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 24, 2014

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Any possible way of producing those via console commands? Waiting for the next patch to get my revised fix is taking too long!

Do we have any idea how often they'll (or you'll in ropekid's case) be releasing beta patches? really looking forward to giving this another go when its a little more stable.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

rope kid posted:

The quality of the writing should not suffer due to a drive for all personality types to have equal representation in conversations. One of the very reasonable criticisms of many RPG dialogue options is that the "evil" ones often feel shoved in and awkward.

[Drop kick the baby] "Bwahaha! I'm just so darn crazy and evil! Ha ha!"

We'd rather have some options come up less often and feel more appropriate in the situation than force it just to meet a reply quota.
Even when they're not drop-kicking babies, 'evil' conversation options often come across as PCs being huge jerks for no reason. I like that the 'jerk' options in the beta are grounded in what's going on, like getting too much lip from some farmer over his pigs, or playing an angle relating to the underworld.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 24, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah ultimately we want the darker options to stem from appropriate circumstances like:

* NPC is mouthing off.
* NPC is whining or complaining.
* NPC is in a position of extreme weakness relative to the PC (e.g. dying, at the player's mercy, a child, a social pariah, etc.).

Captain Concept
Aug 23, 2014
Thank you, thank you! I can't stop laughing! :D
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=305028818

This is the best thing thus far that has happened.

I call this Chanter Party: Aristocrats of the Dead Hand (Because they are all Aristocrats) or Aristocrats of Rattling Bones

Edit: The skeletons are aristocrats too. Need more top-hats! xD

Captain Concept fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 24, 2014

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Jesus Christ I'm terrible at combat in this game. Is Merdreth's party supposed to be able to kick the living poo poo out of my party so fast even on easy?

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

evilmiera posted:

If you just want to read the lorebooks you can read all books in the items.stringtable xml file in the folder ..\\Steam\SteamApps\common\Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized\en\text\game.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Ehh.... The OP says chanter's are like bards but they are really a unique class that's not at all like a bard in BG (a lovely wizard). I really like how you can be active while being a bardish buffbot. It always felt like a waste of a character to have a bard sit around singing or alternatively never really used the ability that made your class unique. I always felt that that part of D&D didn't translate well at all in the Infinity Engine games.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

General Emergency posted:

Ehh.... The OP says chanter's are like bards but they are really a unique class that's not at all like a bard in BG (a lovely wizard). I really like how you can be active while being a bardish buffbot. It always felt like a waste of a character to have a bard sit around singing or alternatively never really used the ability that made your class unique. I always felt that that part of D&D didn't translate well at all in the Infinity Engine games.

It's really not so much a trait of Bards you're describing as a trait of AD&D Bards specifically. Neither 3rd nor 4th mandate that Bards have to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING while singing or else.

Moral of the story is that AD&D does a lot of dumb poo poo.

Captain Concept
Aug 23, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's really not so much a trait of Bards you're describing as a trait of AD&D Bards specifically. Neither 3rd nor 4th mandate that Bards have to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING while singing or else.

There's one "weird" or "humorous" aspect with chanting and attacking at the same time though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_If-F0eXE&t=334s

If it dosn't load properly it's at 5:32-5:34.
"Prrraaa! Prrr-aah!"

Btw, I love what's been done with PoE *nod* it's really beautiful and fun! Looking foward to more stability :)

Captain Concept fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 24, 2014

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Contra Calculus posted:

Jesus Christ I'm terrible at combat in this game. Is Merdreth's party supposed to be able to kick the living poo poo out of my party so fast even on easy?

Sorry I was thinking of the wrong party. But still, my point stands.
I think something is off with the difficulty in fights. I got wiped by beetles on my first try but after loading I fought all the way through ogre and that party and all spiders in one go with barely any scratches.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 24, 2014

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Contra Calculus posted:

How many boars did they have? This is important for figuring out whether you're actually scrubby or not.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is BG's interpretation, not 2e's. Pen and paper bards inspired characters before combat, then went in and fought like any other class would. You specifically can't renew your song's effects on people who are still in combat after the lingering buff wears off, for that matter.

The only case where you're meant to act even vaguely like an Infinity Engine bard is if you're the Skald kit, because their song is much more powerful, lingers longer, and gets cancelled when they take their first wound of the combat - but even then they can do whatever they want until they do get hit.

Also, best kit ability ever:

Gallant Bard posted:

Even when a Gallant is slain, he does not immediately drop over dead. Rather, he lingers on long enough to recite one final tragic poem for those who will listen ... the Gallant hangs on and fights for another 1d4 rounds or until struck for additional damage equal to his level. Then he recites his poem and dies.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Hopper posted:

I think somwthing is off with the difficulty in fights. I got wiped by beetles on my first try but after loading I fought all the way rhrough ogre and that party and all spiders in one go with barely any scratches.

Yeah, people were reporting stuff like enemies having their DT reset after a reload or save. Until the persistence bugs are fixed there's no real point in getting hung up about enemy combat balance right now.

the gulper caper
Feb 22, 2004
tastes like candy

Captain Concept posted:

Btw, I love what's been done with PoE *nod* it's really beautiful and fun! Looking foward to more stability :)

I've only played jRpgs and a few new western ones and my only experience with RTwP is playing BG2 to the end of Irenicus's dungeon (I felt overwhelmed and coudln't get over the feeling I'd hosed up my character), but, stability issues aside, playing POE has been nothing but fun. The combat, the exploring, the art, it's all been really enjoyable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

One thing I noticed was that you're told about attribute bonuses when selecting race, but you haven't been told what the attributes mean. Similarly, when manipulating attributes, there's no indication of what the game considers "average", and it shows the bonuses for a background choice you haven't made yet, I think using the default/first.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait a minute would I still be able to get a signed collector's box despite tiers being locked? Or would I just have to make a new order since the only one I have would be an early bird backer from back when the kickstarter was going on.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

xthetenth posted:

How many boars did they have? This is important for figuring out whether you're actually scrubby or not.

I don't remember like 4 I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Contra Calculus posted:

I don't remember like 4 I think.

That's somewhere in the middle. It should be doable, but you'd have to be relatively on the ball. Make sure to use the fighter to shield or distract a bunch of the enemy, use abilities aggressively and to reduce the number of enemies hitting you at once.

For reference they seem to be engaging in serious boar breeding, and some folks have gotten buried under a tidal wave of porcine flesh. Four is about what I dealt with, and I was running with a chanter PC and a relatively well kitted party.

• Locked thread