Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
nothing is better than your motherboard needing a firmware update to function with the new cpu you just bought though. can’t upgrade unless you have an old cpu to boot with sorry lol!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

nothing is better than your motherboard needing a firmware update to function with the new cpu you just bought though. can’t upgrade unless you have an old cpu to boot with sorry lol!!
Wasn't AMD lending people cpus for this before?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh yeah i specifically bought one that can autonomously flash firmware from a usb drive lol

thankfully i didn't need to avail myself of that particular feature

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

ordering pizza after hotboxing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Large Testicles posted:

i did this for my last computer but i didn't buy a motherboard with wifi built in so i had to put a card in and the gpu wobbled just enough that the fans hit the back of the wifi card and exploded them, twice, because msi rma'd the first one

this new pc is a full atx mid tower cause gently caress trying to make something small if i dont need to

i have a lian-li v2000b i've had since 2005 that continues to fit anything i need to put in it. as someone who spent several years building computers for a living, gently caress working in cramped cases. don't nobody need that poo poo.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SmokaDustbowl posted:

ordering pizza after hotboxing

Smoke em if ya got em, boys

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lightbulb Out posted:

samee but with new ram. i couldn't figure out why the fucker couldn't boot until i looked at the specs. so i rented some old 133 ram from Amazon, upgraded the bios, put the 233 in and sent the 133 back lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lightbulb Out posted:

they have been shipping bios versions that support zen3 for an entire year now, and even if not, a lot of boards have the ability to bios flash with no CPU in the socket for this exact reason

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Large Testicles posted:

i did this for my last computer but i didn't buy a motherboard with wifi built in so i had to put a card in and the gpu wobbled just enough that the fans hit the back of the wifi card and exploded them, twice, because msi rma'd the first one

this new pc is a full atx mid tower cause gently caress trying to make something small if i dont need to

just wait until the btc drops and you can get them at your local shipping container

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

just wait until the btc drops and you can get them at your local shipping container

https://twitter.com/jaxson_davidson/status/1470933731548356614

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Jonny 290 posted:

they have been shipping bios versions that support zen3 for an entire year now, and even if not, a lot of boards have the ability to bios flash with no CPU in the socket for this exact reason

yeah they definitely learned their lesson but I think Intel also had this problem somewhat. I only ever dealt with it at work as a hardware nerd

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/07eaaaa0ee23e0d904e201937531da38.mp4

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

what is this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

footage from a drone of waves during a category 4 hurricane

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what is this

camera on a buoy in a hurricane, i think.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/i/status/1471641241817280512

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_gQiOoUwfk

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Got to be at least 50% vodka by volume in that bottle, man looks absolutely shitfaced.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sapozhnik posted:

it's not even fun to build a PC any more, even though it's a fairly simple process these days once all the loving motherboard retaining screws get into place

before first power on: gently caress i hope everything works correctly so i don't have to RMA poo poo, don't lose any of the packaging!
after first power on: alright cool it works job done

imagine having to RMA a new GPU in this day and age, what a pain in the rear end that would be. like, best case scenario you're probably waiting 60 days for a replacement to come in

before, I'd walk back into micro center and go 'it's dead, Jim' and the tech would walk to a shelf, take one, and hand it to me. i imagine now it's a waiting list as they fight off scalpers and bitcoiners trying to grab the one rtx card they received this week

absolutely gently caress no to anything online, that has got to be ten times worse. i wouldn't want to be the support person for a gpu manufacturer

infernal machines posted:

i have a lian-li v2000b i've had since 2005 that continues to fit anything i need to put in it. as someone who spent several years building computers for a living, gently caress working in cramped cases. don't nobody need that poo poo.

yeah, my last two towers have been a big beefy antec and lian-li. anything smaller is self-flagellation

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Got to be at least 50% vodka by volume in that bottle, man looks absolutely shitfaced.

everyone always edges die hard is the best holiday movie

no you fool it's this holiday adjacent movie

when really it's bad santa

it's an all the time movie but best saved for the dark months

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i would absolutely love to see an angry mob of gamers storm a data center to loot GPUs. headline of the decade right there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i would absolutely love to see an angry mob of gamers storm a data center to loot GPUs. headline of the decade right there

100% down with this yes lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also, of course it's loving utah. god drat mormons.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Salt Lake is the fraud capital for a reason

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Salt Lake is the fraud capital for a reason

mormons love MLMs and scams this is indisputable fact

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the whole "religion" is basically the Church of Capitalist Grift with a little bit of woo sprinkled on top for legitimacy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
last podcast on the left has a really good series on how mormonism got started

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i almost Converted so i could get married to my super hot mormon bestie senior year but pussied out

i checked in a few years later on fb and she was 27 with six kids

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

anyone punching this address into google maps is now on a watchlist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i almost Converted so i could get married to my super hot mormon bestie senior year but pussied out

i checked in a few years later on fb and she was 27 with six kids

those could have been your kids, jonny

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

anyone punching this address into google maps is now on a watchlist

better than a waitlist (to buy a 3000 series gpu)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

those could have been your kids, jonny

i most likely shoot blanks due to my chronic mt dew and weed habits

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/idtechpics/status/1471986450719809537?s=21

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lmaoooooo

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Large Testicles posted:

somehow i lost my screws/miscellaneous bits jar and i was on a fuckin hunt one day looking for a jumper only to find that not a goddamn thing i own has one anymore, even the old 3.5" HDs didn't have them

i ended up having to use a pair of tweezers to reset the bios

this happened to me recently so I just plugged the power switch header into the jumper then held down the button for 10 seconds

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

100% down with this yes lmao

:hmmyes:

Jonny 290 posted:

mormons love MLMs and scams this is indisputable fact

first thought when I saw Utah, too

burning swine posted:

this happened to me recently so I just plugged the power switch header into the jumper then held down the button for 10 seconds

on one spare parts computer i'd jump the pins with a screw driver. I think that one started as a pile of parts on a chair until I cleared out a case, so it wasn't the worst decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

the whole "religion" is basically the Church of Capitalist Grift with a little bit of woo sprinkled on top for legitimacy

which one of you assholes pointed out that the FBI is run by mormons now?

that's a fun little predator search term