Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fooz posted:

Samsung showed off this screen today, pics taken through the lenses.

Fuuuck me. The next round of headsets is going to be life-changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Very nice. The previous high-ppi displays I was aware of were all LCD and therefore not capable of low persistence mode.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's also those emagic (?) OLED micro displays from a couple years back, that didn't have green elements, just red and blue

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
So what kind of monstrosity will I need to power a 2k screen?

I thought the whole issue with 2k/4k screens was the lack of processing/video power?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Thor-Stryker posted:

I thought the whole issue with 2k/4k screens was the lack of processing/video power?

A 1080ti is already powerful enough. Supersampling for a lot of games already puts the effective resolution higher than that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Thor-Stryker posted:

Eye tracking and foveated rendering effectively solves that problem.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Even without foveated rendering, you don't necessarily need to be rendering at the panel's native resolution. I'm okay with things being a bit chunky as long as the improved clarity makes up for it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah you could render at half res and scale it up and it would still look better than a panel of that res natively cause the space between the pixels is smaller.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

rage-saq posted:

A 1080ti is already powerful enough. Supersampling for a lot of games already puts the effective resolution higher than that.

Really? All the reviews of the 1080ti that I've seen show it at or near 90fps for ultra-graphics at 2k fps. That's not even considering fps dips for taxing zones in games.

I mean, it could probably run current generation VR games because they've really dialed down the detail to make them playable. But a full-scale AAA title like a modern Crysis would probably die at 2k VR.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Whoa, now this is a pack in
https://twitter.com/htcvive/status/869448300167966720

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^^nice

Thor-Stryker posted:

I mean, it could probably run current generation VR games because they've really dialed down the detail to make them playable. But a full-scale AAA title like a modern Crysis would probably die at 2k VR.
If you're question is, 'is VR more taxing on computing resources than regular gaming' then the answer is yes.

There are plenty of very good-looking VR games already. They just have to be extremely well-optimised, and they won't look quite as good as the best-looking 2D games because 2D games work within different performance horizons.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 30, 2017

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Thor-Stryker posted:

The games would probably have to adjust but I bet something like Rec Room would run just fine. I'll take simple and sharp any day.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I finally got round to playing Superhot VR on the weekend since it came out for the Vive (officially).

What a game, holy poo poo! I definitely get why it's rated so highly now, even though the campaign was very short, it was so god drat cool. I really suck at endless mode though. I seem to only be able to get half way to each level's target before being completely overwhelmed and dying. Any tips?

On a related non-vr note, I got the bundle with regular superhot and it runs really badly, even when the VR version is buttery smooth. I've got a 3570k and a 1080ti so I'm preeeetty sure it's not me.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Thor-Stryker posted:

Really? All the reviews of the 1080ti that I've seen show it at or near 90fps for ultra-graphics at 2k fps. That's not even considering fps dips for taxing zones in games.

Yeah, the pascal architecture has a huge efficiency bonus for rendering VR games, making the total resolution "hit" from VR a lot less. Unoptimized games can be run at 1.8-1.9 SS with a 1080ti.
Here's what that translates to into effective resolution.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
As much as I wish I could be playing VR right now, it's better to wait for three things:

1. Foveated Rendering
2. Inside Out Tracking
3. Wireless

It's perhaps a little optimistic to hope for all those in Generation 2, but Generation 3 definitely.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

With a 1080 you can already supersample to around double the pixel density of the display in most games. The only outliers I've come across are games that were converted to VR, mostly sims but particularly anything that uses a deferred renderer.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Thor-Stryker posted:

You don't need a crazy card to drive those screens as you can just down sample the game. It's an unfortunate myth that a higher display resolution requires some ungodly video card to drive it.

Exioce posted:

As much as I wish I could be playing VR right now, it's better to wait for three things:

1. Foveated Rendering
2. Inside Out Tracking
3. Wireless

It's perhaps a little optimistic to hope for all those in Generation 2, but Generation 3 definitely.

While you wait people are playing VR, waiting for the next big thing in tech just makes you wait forever.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I hope if the headsets do go wireless as most people itt want, I can take the battery out and plug in a cable. My rift gets pretty toasty even without a high capacity battery in it. I prefer a wire to the heat and battery life issues. For the same reason, I wouldn't want any processing going on in the headset. I mean, it'd be great if there were no heat and performance trade offs, but I don't expect we'll hit that point in my lifetime, if ever.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

..btt posted:

I hope if the headsets do go wireless as most people itt want, I can take the battery out and plug in a cable. My rift gets pretty toasty even without a high capacity battery in it. I prefer a wire to the heat and battery life issues. For the same reason, I wouldn't want any processing going on in the headset. I mean, it'd be great if there were no heat and performance trade offs, but I don't expect we'll hit that point in my lifetime, if ever.

The TPCast uses a battery pack that you clip on your belt or whatever.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 30, 2017

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

SwissCM posted:

The TPLink uses a battery pack that you clip on your belt or whatever.

Does it also allow you to hot plug batteries? How long do they take to charge?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

..btt posted:

Does it also allow you to hot plug batteries? How long do they take to charge?

It hasn't been released outside of China yet. Here is someones impressions from reddit

quote:

So I did manage to get a couple of good and extensive 2-3 hour sessions in this weekend and focused on the difference the TPCast and the DAS provided.
I really do prefer the DAS to the original straps; it's way more stable and extremely comfortable. I switched back from the VRcover 6mm pad to the original wide face pad combined with the VRcover cotton fabric and focused on properly adjusting the top strap underneath the TPCast. When adjusted properly it brings the Vive HMD almost to parity with the lighter rift.
I have the TPCast battery module in an EastPak fanny pack around my waist and hardly notice it when gaming at all. I played titles like Arizona Sunshine, Raw Data, Destinations, Rackt:NX, Holopoint, Pavlov, Onward and a couple of others and have noticed no distinguishable optical or audio difference to being on the wire. I cannot believe how much roaming free makes a difference! Be prepared to lose all orientation in meatspace.
For the DAS there are no downsides to me, except its considerable price-tag. I like the attached on-ear headphones and found them pretty much equal to those on the Rift; ergonomically I prefer the DAS to the Rift headstrap.
The TPCast does deliver what I had hoped and I will remain wireless, so to speak. There are a couple of things I would hope to see improved in future iterations and maybe even on a firmware level (for some): - no mic and no camera currently available; that's a no-go for social VR - the short HDMI cable that comes with the TPCast needs to have one of its ports rotated bei 180 degrees. As it is, it puts a twist one the receiver unit and unbalances the feel of the HMD. - the receiver does get quite warm and you can feel it noticeably after about 45min of gameplay. I will try and construct some kind of heat shield (needs to be lightweight) - there is a high pitch whine coming from the transmitter when in use - might be antagonizing for pets. - I need to research smaller Anker Core banks that provide the same ports and voltages as the 20100 version. A lightweight 1.5h session core would be lovely.
So far I have finished the capacity of one my of Anker battery cores and that gave me an uptime of around 4hours and 45 mins which for my needs suffices plenty.

So there are some issues, the biggest one being the lack of camera and mic which may delay my purchase until these problems are solved, I use both regularly.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Ah, I see. Cost and lifetime would be other concerns. Still not for me as I find tracking and swapping batteries irritating and the cable doesn't bother me, but it does sound like they're solving some problems.

I guess the other deciding factor for me is I just don't have the space for roomscale without moving furniture. Nor have I found it particularly a game changer. But then a good 50% of the reason for me getting the headset was elite, and the cable is barely noticeable playing cockpit stuff.

I wonder if the wireless stuff will be affected much by rf noise. I remember an early wireless tv box I had shat itself whenever we turned the microwave on. Or the washing machine. Or the vacuum.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

SwissCM posted:

It hasn't been released outside of China yet. Here is someones impressions from reddit

So there are some issues, the biggest one being the lack of camera and mic which may delay my purchase until these problems are solved, I use both regularly.

I'm bothered by the fact that they couldn't put a belt clip on the pack. That is an extremely cheap problem to fix and might help with heat dissipation on the battery. What if you can't find that name brand fanny pack that the redittor is using, will other fanny packs work? Are they as stylish?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Phuzun posted:

What if you can't find that name brand fanny pack that the redittor is using, will other fanny packs work? Are they as stylish?
:haw:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I also got around to Super Hot VR; it's short, but a real hoot. I wonder if a level editor or encounter designer could be in the work.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Aphex- posted:

I really suck at endless mode though. I seem to only be able to get half way to each level's target before being completely overwhelmed and dying. Any tips?

Its not helpful, but not really. Around the halfway point is when you need to stop taking your time and aiming and just start operating on pure instinct. be neo. throw headshot punch grab spin duck shoot.

if you get overwhelmed ducking behind a desk and crawling around for a bit helps a lot.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

For endless I also recommend not being shy about switching guns frequently because nothing is worse than running out on a gun during a hectic moment. I basically constantly keep switching whenever a gun flies near my face so I can just keep shooting without stopping

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
One week in, reporting.

Agree that Superhot VR is excellent. Made some friends try it and now they are purchasing a Vive and planning their play areas.

A surprising favorite of mine is the mobile port of Overkill to VR. People complain about wave based shooters but those were always the game I spent tons on in arcades. Now I can play them at home for (technically) free. For Memorial Day we took a trip to the city, and hit up a Dave & Buster's, which ended up being underwhelming because all the games there I pretty much had in VR.

Is it bad that when I close my eyes I can see the boundaries of my play area?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

InevitableCheese posted:

Is it bad that when I close my eyes I can see the boundaries of my play area?

Nope, it'll go away, as VR feel more normal to you. Visualizing game elements is a well known condition. I can see Soundboxing orbs when I close my eyes commonly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Glagha posted:

For endless I also recommend not being shy about switching guns frequently because nothing is worse than running out on a gun during a hectic moment. I basically constantly keep switching whenever a gun flies near my face so I can just keep shooting without stopping

Yeah that's a good tip, once you get above 50 throwing your gun is as important a weapon as shooting. Also try to get the shotgun guys to shoot before you ever pull the trigger yourself.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

..btt posted:

I wonder if the wireless stuff will be affected much by rf noise. I remember an early wireless tv box I had shat itself whenever we turned the microwave on. Or the washing machine. Or the vacuum.

This shouldn't be a major issue. The wireless technology used by these boxes runs in the 60 GHz frequency range which doesn't really penetrate much of anything and isn't really used by anything except recent high-speed wireless protocols.

Your old wireless TV box probably ran in the 2.4 GHz range, which is also where microwaves blast a massive amount of radio energy in to your food.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Warbird posted:

I also got around to Super Hot VR; it's short, but a real hoot. I wonder if a level editor or encounter designer could be in the work.

Getting in on this recommend train. Played the campaign in 90 minutes last night and it was an absolute blast. It felt like I was playing for hours and I had an amazing time. Looking forward to putting more time into the endless mode and getting all the achievements at a later date.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rift goons, how intuitive is throwing items with the Touch controllers? The Vive wands work fine, but getting where things go where I want has been somewhat inconsistent. Also, I'm not really a fan of the grips to pick up/hold, but I get why they went with that.

I hope those knuckle controllers come out soon.

Edit - Autocorrect

Warbird fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 30, 2017

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

wolrah posted:

60 GHz frequency range which doesn't really penetrate

Hmm, you just reminded me of something - aren't signals at those frequencies also highly directional, and wouldn't they struggle to penetrate something like, say, your arms? I have an image in my mind of enormous antler like aerials to deal with that :v:

Maybe reflections would make it a non-issue.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
If Star Trek is not your jam, Giant Cop also comes out today. I played the demo at a convention recently because the devs are from Newfoundland and it was a lot of silly fun tossing around tiny people as a giant cop. They also have a lot of great props scattered about the city to check out. Humble store has it listed at $25 USD.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Warbird posted:

Rift goons, how intuitive is throwing items with the Tooch controllers? The Vive wands work fine, but getting where things go where I want has been somewhat inconsistent. Also, I'm not really a fan of the grips to pick up/hold, but I get why they went with that.

It's good, but pretty dependent where the developer sets the release point. Right now the best throwing in any VR game is Robo Recall, which has some subtle auto-aim. I hope developers learn from this, it really feels fantastic in practice.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Some of the best throwing is in Ripcoil, the downside is it makes everyone feel like throwing up in other ways

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Warbird posted:

Rift goons, how intuitive is throwing items with the Tooch controllers? The Vive wands work fine, but getting where things go where I want has been somewhat inconsistent. Also, I'm not really a fan of the grips to pick up/hold, but I get why they went with that.

Very natural. The grip on the Touch controllers isn't a pain to use like the Vive. You can naturally hold it down without any effort, which is why many Touch games use it for holding objects. Many Vive users are upset at Superhot VR not enabling sticky grip because you just can't use the grip button on the Vive controllers in the same way. You can easily tell which platform a game was designed for just by how the developer handles the grip button, or how you pick up and interact with objects. Many developers don't seem to take the time to perfect the controls for both the Vive and Touch.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

..btt posted:

Hmm, you just reminded me of something - aren't signals at those frequencies also highly directional, and wouldn't they struggle to penetrate something like, say, your arms? I have an image in my mind of enormous antler like aerials to deal with that :v:

Maybe reflections would make it a non-issue.

AFAIK they're fairly omnidirectional but are nearly line-of-sight. They'll penetrate walls and people barely, but not much.

It doesn't seem like it's a big deal in the real world, I haven't seen this mentioned as a problem in the reviews so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wolrah posted:

AFAIK they're fairly omnidirectional but are nearly line-of-sight. They'll penetrate walls and people barely, but not much.

It doesn't seem like it's a big deal in the real world, I haven't seen this mentioned as a problem in the reviews so far.

Even if it is an issue, wouldn't be hard to fix it by putting antennae in multiple places around the headset.