Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

What happens is occasionally Twitter does a wave of bot bans and because the only people those bots follow are tcot types, they see their followers plummet and assume that the Deep State is at work.

Twitter doesn't shadowban, it doesn't even loving regular ban Nazis unless they do something that gets into the mainstream

There was/is *something* up, as Emmanual Goldstein of 2600 Magazine (who is definitely not a right wing loon) brought something up a year or so back where it turned out a lot of people who were following the magazine account couldn't see a certain tweet in their timeline. I don't think this is anything on purpose but more an algorithm thing - which is possibly now resolved as you can switch between Popular/Latest timelines. I'm thinking maybe a combination of an old story like that combined with the bot bans you brought up, that might be what's creating the 'shadowban' conspiracy.

But the other part of my post was basically seeing if that term was invented here, and digging around it looks like that's the case

quote:

Rich Kyanka, the creator of Something Awful, says that the site that spawned “weird Twitter” coined ubiquitous internet terminology including “banhammer,” “spoiler alert,” “let's play,” and “AMA.” (Ask Me Anything). He also says that Something Awful mods invented the term “shadow ban” in 2001.

Link: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a3q744/where-did-shadow-banning-come-from-trump-republicans-shadowbanned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

There was/is *something* up, as Emmanual Goldstein of 2600 Magazine (who is definitely not a right wing loon) brought something up a year or so back where it turned out a lot of people who were following the magazine account couldn't see a certain tweet in their timeline. I don't think this is anything on purpose but more an algorithm thing - which is possibly now resolved as you can switch between Popular/Latest timelines. I'm thinking maybe a combination of an old story like that combined with the bot bans you brought up, that might be what's creating the 'shadowban' conspiracy.

But the other part of my post was basically seeing if that term was invented here, and digging around it looks like that's the case

Link: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/a3q744/where-did-shadow-banning-come-from-trump-republicans-shadowbanned

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/07/does-twitter-shadowban-accounts-no.html

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sorry dude, you've got a new baby.

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1101551518195634176?s=19

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, I'm not disagreeing with you about this.

I'm saying
1. Shadowbanning is a conspiracy on Twitter
2. Shadowbanning was a real thing that happened here, specifically called that, and the lingo caught on even if the act didn't.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

zoux posted:

My mom saw that literally threw out all my He Man toys while I was at school in the late 80's : /

e: actually it was this, not sure if it's the same thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnjdq32u-MU

This is fantastic! Good nostalgia from all the clips and toys, and good insane ramblings to boot.

Edit: Oh my God, Skeletor’s appearance and general evilness isn’t enough to condemn him, they also have to pretend he does YOGA POSES and that that is an evil outside religious influence on children.

Wendell has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Mar 1, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Owen Benjamin maybe? He decided at some point in time that instead of just being a bit right wing that he was going to lean into it to get on that maga chud grift gravy train.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

This demonic toys video is too much!!! The “martial arts and gymnastics thrusting” displayed in the Thundercats intro is “taken from Hinduism and ancient pagan symbolism.”

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There is definitely something shadowban-esque on Twitter, where it essentially seems to treat you as if everyone has you on mute. But it is never what right-wing assholes are talking about, since it appears to largely be afflicted on the more benign bots (not the Russian troll bots, more the 'responds to random replies with Link holding up a random GIS result) and a few unlucky weird corner cases who said the wrong words.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

That demonic toys video just reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn7TcsT91C8

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
Oh god please let a speaker at CPAC find out about jenkem.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Oof. I'm not sure how this couldn't end in divorce. What an awful situation to be put in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

grittyreboot posted:

Oof. I'm not sure how this couldn't end in divorce.

Two of my friends got married and they decided before hand that they didn't want kids, ever. Years later, the guy decided he did and she still said no, and that's what happened. The fact that this couple has a 4 yo is a huge complication though.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

You don’t have to scroll very far on the original post to see someone making a “did you just assume their gender?” joke. I swear, the alt-right only has four jokes, and they just spam them 24/7.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ghost emoji posted:

You don’t have to scroll very far on the original post to see someone making a “did you just assume their gender?” joke. I swear, the alt-right only has four jokes, and they just spam them 24/7.

I think you'll find, however, that the left cannot meme

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

My mom saw that literally threw out all my He Man toys while I was at school in the late 80's : /

e: actually it was this, not sure if it's the same thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnjdq32u-MU

Oh man, I saw the Cinema Snob poo poo on this thing. I love how the guy involved doesn't even know what the hell he's talking about. Ethernia, sure. And how apparently villains aren't allowed to be villainous. poo poo, Skeletor's bad, whodathunk? He's the bad guy, you knob.

Also literally every part about the creepy story where the guy feels like God was telling him to walk into a toy store and look for occult symbolism

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Wasnt it called hellbanning on SA?

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/Qvy9hiS.jpg:nws:

Danyull has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Mar 2, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AshBCoffin/status/1101321918404325376

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Please tell me TERFs also don't wipe their butt

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MizPiz posted:

Please tell me TERFs also don't wipe their butt

Of course not NATURAL WOMEN with REAL VAGINAS don't need to, if you have to wipe after defecating you must BE A MAN with a PROSTATE

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Good god just let people gently caress already!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Picnic Princess posted:

People are having fun WRONG and I won't stand for it, I won't take it lying down, I won't have it on the kitchen counter... sorry, what were we talking about?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

Look, we can dig deep into our own worldview to tear down the patriarchal framing of sex as an act of dominance where the male party takes sex from the female one, rendering the female practically an object for how little concern is given towards her/his/their own desire and sexual agency. Or we can just label some sex acts for-dudes-only and poo poo talk women for engaging in them.

One of these options is the feminist one. No not that one.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Their focus on "colon" sex reminds me of those creepy anime dudes that fantasize about penetrating the cervix.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

there wolf posted:

Look, we can dig deep into our own worldview to tear down the patriarchal framing of sex as an act of dominance where the male party takes sex from the female one, rendering the female practically an object for how little concern is given towards her/his/their own desire and sexual agency. Or we can just label some sex acts for-dudes-only and poo poo talk women for engaging in them.

One of these options is the feminist one. No not that one.

I kind of get it from the POV that dudes can't seem to shut the gently caress up about anal, or get over it when the answer is flat out no, but yeah, uh

hm

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

hyperhazard posted:

Their focus on "colon" sex reminds me of those creepy anime dudes that fantasize about penetrating the cervix.

Most people "really not that into uterus sex," AP confirms.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hyperhazard posted:

what the gently caress

You learn something new every day. Some days you just wish you hadn't.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nope nope nope super nope.

I've had my cervix messed around with by doctors and it is loving excruciating. Like I mean crying out and vomiting level pain. And I'm loving tough. Might as well stab someone in the stomach and gently caress that, it would probably hurt less.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Old Boot posted:

I kind of get it from the POV that dudes can't seem to shut the gently caress up about anal, or get over it when the answer is flat out no, but yeah, uh

hm

The thing is, dudes can't shut about a lot of sex acts because the problem is male entitlement to women's bodies and the normalization of sex as something you just take, so being a pushy rear end in a top hat even after a hard no is fine. TERFs will happily regurgitate that at you, all the while showing they fundamentally don't get it when they claim anal is inherently anti female-pleasure and all the cis-lesbains who say otherwise are lying/not real.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

Social Distortion fuckin sucks. Fight me.

I would, but you are clearly mentally disabled.

As a straight white sex haver dude, I never got the big deal about anal. It's fun, but if someone says it's not their thing, move on. Those are always the same dudes who if their partner even implied play south of the scrot, they'd lose their poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On a video of a water slide:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

Those are always the same dudes who if their partner even implied play south of the scrot, they'd lose their poo poo.

Want a good laugh? Find the biggest "alpha" :jerkbag: and ask him if he'd let a girl eat his rear end. The immediate "i aint no queer" reaction is never not hysterical.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tiny brain: Why don't penis doctors do these for the penis enlargement herbal remedies?
Medium brain: Men are too smart to fall for those in the first place
Galaxy brain: Men spend billions of dollars on them every year and the penis doctors are buying them too.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

Want a good laugh? Find the biggest "alpha" :jerkbag: and ask him if he'd let a girl eat his rear end. The immediate "i aint no queer" reaction is never not hysterical.

So do you go up to a lot of people and ask them if they eat rear end?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Damnit Anak-Terf you were supposed to bring balance to the anus not join it :negative:

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

trickybiscuits posted:

AND rubbing a scented eraser really hard and then smelling it

I love archaeology, but online it attracts lunatics and assholes like nobody's business. Comments on an article on the Great Zimbabwe, an 11th- to 15th-century city in the country of Zimbabwe which now lies in ruins:

Racism aside, there's a lot of factual errors in that one.

Idiots on Social Media: Racism aside, there's a lot of factual errors in that one

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

grittyreboot posted:

So do you go up to a lot of people and ask them if they eat rear end?

What else is one supposed to do at a Wendy's drive though?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/Pontifex/status/1101459569862033408

And the cardinals are like "oh, to eat, or, are we just holding them, what's the go boss?"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Memento posted:

And the cardinals are like "oh, to eat, or, are we just holding them, what's the go boss?"

New pope is hella metal :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

"Well, yeah. And the fastest way to the heart is through the stomach. That's why we made all those kids suck our balls dry."