Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I assumed it was Dot Comm from Tracy Jordan's entourage from 30 Rock.

I like to think the Guild has a training program for henchmen run by a Taskmaster like guy. If your not familiar, Taskmaster is a Marvel Supervillain that while he does his own thing, he also runs an academy for the henchmen that Villains use.

That's such a VB concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I was just assuming Dot Comm was the "Epic! Fail!" villain from the Guild townhall meeting.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

MrSlam posted:

I was just assuming Dot Comm was the "Epic! Fail!" villain from the Guild townhall meeting.

Just checked the credits, she is.

Edit: oh god ignore the accidental sieg heil.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Been listening to the commentary and they mention forums talking about VB a bunch, makes me wonder if they mean here.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

:blush:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Megaspel posted:

Been listening to the commentary and they mention forums talking about VB a bunch, makes me wonder if they mean here.

They might mean the Adult Swim forums. Or, hell, loving Reddit for all we know.

It'd be nice to think they read SA, though. They'd certainly fit in here.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Fellbat posted:

Just checked the credits, she is.

Edit: oh god ignore the accidental sieg heil.

Is that David Lynch again?

Those crows shots are dense.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
From how they mention reading to see specifically how people at large are reacting to an episode I would think they just google "Venture Bros (Date)" and click on whatever comes up.

They probably hit the first sales-grandma and ran away screaming tbh

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Not much unmentioned so far.

Rapacity in Blue
  • the breakfast burritos taste like rubidium chloride, which Billy would probably know of as an antidepressant/dopamine enchancer
  • Jill St. John was best known as a Bond girl, which puts her somewhat in the super-science orbit; Stella Stevens was in Nutty Professor, and could have been the actress in the Jerry Lewis movie Sirena was watching. Both are still alive, I wonder if they know they're getting namechecked still.
  • Warriana's invisible geese are called Pyrois and Aethon, which are actually two of the four horses pulling the chariot of the sun
  • speaking of Warriana's references: "you two [Brock and Haranguetan] would have been pissing testosterone at each otehr till the cattle of Geryon came home"—collecting those cattle was one of Heracles' labors
  • It may be the saddest Billy moment ever that his religious vision is of Rusty Venture, Boy Adventurer
  • In ongoing "Steven Rattazzi speaking parts that are not Dr. Orpheus" news: Haranguetan

Tanks for Nuthin'
  • Even Warriana's crown moulding and throw pillows have Greek designs on them
  • Anyone with any idea why there is a random statue marked "Haynes" in the Newark mayor's office?
  • Hank is pouring a Monfortino for Wide Wale—same wine (though year unknown) that Scaramantula was drinking a few episodes back
  • Ye Old Battleaxe has the same Loser! tag that's near the Monarch's Newark mansion. The pub is on 46th and 14th which I think would put it in Brooklyn? but the neighborhood is way seedier than Google Maps shows.
  • It's pretty funny that they bleep out Battleaxe saying "feckin"
  • The Selkie neon sign (tagline: smooth) is cute
  • Prof. Nidaba [Think Tank] assigns an essay of 5000 words(!) on "Persona, Mimesis, and Prosopopoeia: The Mask from Plato to Engels"—Jung, for one, called the persona "a kind of mask"; mimesis is both miming (and hence masquerade) as well as the depicition of life in dramatic and fictional art; prosopopoeia is a rhetorical device where a speaker addresses the audience as someone else, ie. though a mask. all very much in line with costumed aggression. As is Nietzsche, generally.
  • Nidaba or Nisaba is furthermore the Sumerian goddess of writing, learning, and knowledge.
  • Could swear there's faint notes of Back to the Future music when the Morpho Mobile takes off

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Joseph E. Haynes was mayor of Newark from 1884 to 1894.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Sash! posted:

Joseph E. Haynes was mayor of Newark from 1884 to 1894.

That might be the deepest-cut reference in the entire series. Dude doesn't get a mention in Wikipedia's articles on Newark history, and even in the "Mayors of Newark" one is just a stub. I guess the whole point is he's so unexceptional that no one would ever look twice at or even think about a bust of him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aww poo poo, he's got one of those iconic New York food cart coffee cups :kimchi:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Did it seem to anyone else like they've got someone new animating? A lot of faces this episode seemed to have a different construction to them, like especially Brock and Rusty when they're looking more or less straight toward the camera.

Also—I didn't think anyone would pull off that "What's that in the road? A head?" thing, but if anyone did it'd be these guys.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

elentar posted:

That might be the deepest-cut reference in the entire series. Dude doesn't get a mention in Wikipedia's articles on Newark history, and even in the "Mayors of Newark" one is just a stub. I guess the whole point is he's so unexceptional that no one would ever look twice at or even think about a bust of him.

He has a full blown page, but the mayors of Newark article doesn't link to it. He reduced typhoid by 70% through building a water system! He was also mayor for their 50th anniversary of being a city!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh poo poo, I just got those posters that someone linked to a while back. Those things are massive, and gorgeous :stare:

Wish I had anywhere to put them, $7 was way too cheap to not impulse buy.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Aww poo poo, he's got one of those iconic New York food cart coffee cups :kimchi:

Huh, so that's where they got the design for the spanakopita shirt. I had no idea.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Doctor Syrup posted:

Huh, so that's where they got the design for the spanakopita shirt. I had no idea.

Well, that...or the paper place mats of practically every Greek diner in and around NYC (especially Long Island).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Data Graham posted:

Did it seem to anyone else like they've got someone new animating? A lot of faces this episode seemed to have a different construction to them, like especially Brock and Rusty when they're looking more or less straight toward the camera.

Also—I didn't think anyone would pull off that "What's that in the road? A head?" thing, but if anyone did it'd be these guys.
I feel like they've been drawing the monarch's head to be a little wider to play up him looking like Rusty.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Snark posted:

Yeah I really want to see Dean kick into some kind of gear already. They've been teasing us with hints about his potential for several seasons without ever going anywhere with it. Remember this kid was Sovereign for like ten seconds. It's weird that Billy Quizboy has had more character growth than poor Deano.

In one of the commentaries early on they talk about how weirded out they are by the fact Dean apparently had fangirls and I always felt much of what they've done with Hank and Dean has reflected that. Like every season they make Hank cooler and more badass, and every season they make Dean meeker and less likable. I mean I get that part of it is Hank is supposed to be becoming like Brock and Dean is supposed to be becoming like his Father but it just seems like such a needlessly cruel fate for Dean. He just wants a normal life god drat it :(

Anyways

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

axleblaze posted:

I mean I get that part of it is Hank is supposed to be becoming like Brock and Dean is supposed to be becoming like his Father but it just seems like such a needlessly cruel fate for Dean. He just wants a normal life god drat it :(

Hank is suppose to become brock, but dean is going to be a better scientist then this dad see how he handled the company at the start, have half the company make money and the other half make god gas.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Jackson just tweeted links to these two Wikipedia articles as "crib notes" for tonight's ep; click at your own risk.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
This intro :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Decline of Western Civilization: The Villain Years?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Is that the house Don Draper grew up in?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I just rewatched the first episode from this season. The first time I figured the black guy in the guild was named "blackjack", but...what if he's "race card"? :ohdear:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Another expensive costume for Hank

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Doc and Hatred playing TF2

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Another expensive costume for Hank

Took me a while to get the "Bad outfit"/"No, it's the good outfit" joke.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Monarch, dude, how could you cut that roleplay short

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

No Troy is not an underrated movie its goddamn awful

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also notes from:

1. Dr. Z has the same couch in the season 4 episode. Go continuity!
2. Radical left has a place to stand in front of his webcam so the background matches his face. Red Dragoon also has a planned background.
3. Phantom Limb is by himself at the meteor.

Sorry to interrupt episode discussion, trying to cope with having to wait.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Another excellent ep so far. Killing me that there's only an episode and a half left...

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Doc and Vatred play TF2. I Love it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This is seriously on its way of being the best episode ever.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

These bad guys deeply frighten me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Another excellent ep so far. Killing me that there's only an episode and a half left...

This is only episode 6 so we have two and a half left.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Haha, he's taking her to Ninja.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh God No, Rusty.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Getting an Andy Warhol feeling with the floating silver balloons

Oh god the killer bear :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU