Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Wait, we had a cop? What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Wait, we had a cop? What the hell.

no cop

godfather and no cop

i was particularly front and center to get the cop on me, too :v:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
And hey Ernie, big props for putting in more effort than most of the town combined.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think EXAKT posting that line from The Room about going to jail might have thrown town a bit too hard. It was a weird/funny diversion to watch, especially since I specifically used the word BLOCKED in the PMs. However, I will admit the flavor was a little jail-y. Thing is, I didn't even know jailer was a role before this game. My concern that flavor was screwing things up is why I steered away from it as the game progressed.

Also, the night action that you guys were iffy on will be explained in more detail later but I was asking a regular for help resolving night actions and was told that was how it should go. I appreciate that poster's help tremendously but I was just talking to Ernie now and showed him the conversation and he suggested that it actually wouldn't normally go like that. I found it a bit strange myself but rolled with it. In the end I'm not sure how much it mattered.

Mafia night actions were also perfect on the first two days.

Rascyc posted:

Setup criticism: If you allow scum to chain target in a game this size, the doctor should be able to self-protect.

Tough loss. Actually probably not so tough now that I see they had 3 scum. This was just a bad setup for town in general.

This is something I will absolutely take note of.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
woo! we won!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
since when have scum not been able to chain use their powers?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ras you lost because the town played bad, don't blame the setup.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

bowmore posted:

Not blaming the loss on the setup, just saying it was a tough setup at 3v9. I know town played poorly at the end, it doesn't take much re-reading to see Andi was town after you started to call him scum and it definitely doesn't take much re-reading to see Sandwolf/Somber were confirmed town. By process of elimination that leaves Ernie/BN/TT. TT got policied as he should and that leaves ????

Not complicated.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 3, 2015

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

bowmore posted:

Ras can speak for himself but I probably would have run this game at thirteen players for more wiggle room. I also think that mostly vanilla setups generally benefit Mafia. Doctor, Tracker, and Mason Recruiter is pretty light on information roles which I think is part of why we stalled out.

No question that the Mafia played better here though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
3/12 is a fine ratio

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
And yeah Taste, sorry but I'd make that same call again without question.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

bowmore posted:

since when have scum not been able to chain use their powers?
Depends who you ask but even in generic c9++ the doctor can usually self-target. Just depends how you want to slant it. In 3v9 I would normally err on the side of town balance.

Again, these are constructive setup criticisms, not comments on the game itself

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Somberbrero posted:

Ras can speak for himself but I probably would have run this game at thirteen players for more wiggle room. I also think that mostly vanilla setups generally benefit Mafia. Doctor, Tracker, and Mason Recruiter is pretty light on information roles which I think is part of why we stalled out.

No question that the Mafia played better here though.

I would have too tbh. I expanded it from 11 with a 2v9 setup and would have gone 13 if there were literally any reasonable characters left to use from the film. Initial setup actually had a 3P Survivor but decided it was too unbalanced.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
By the way, thank you Font. I know that running games can be a lot of work, let me know if you launch another.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I appreciate all the feedback guys, keep your criticisms coming if there are any, it's helpful. I'm getting back in the groove even after my dismal performance in The Kill. Re-learning how to play, and even run, forums mafia after an extended period of barely playing outside of the occasional live game is tough.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, thanks for modding. I had fun!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed it!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Oh hey look who was right about Somberbrero from D1. :lumpen:

Whoever was giving the mod night action resolution advice was bad. "Your Protection action failed" is the proper message for a Doc who is roleblocked.
"Your Track action was successful. Your target visited nobody." is the proper message for the N2 track when Ras was roleblocked.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Thanks for running the game!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Lumpen posted:

Oh hey look who was right about Somberbrero from D1. :lumpen:

Whoever was giving the mod night action resolution advice was bad. "Your Protection action failed" is the proper message for a Doc who is roleblocked.
"Your Track action was successful. Your target visited nobody." is the proper message for the N2 track when Ras was roleblocked.

I was town, you bum.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Somberbrero posted:

I was town, you bum.
Oh, lol. I misread.

Um I meant to say look who was right about blacknyte D1 :lumpen:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah, credit where it is due! Blacknyte had me totally fooled this game

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Killing me while I sleep.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lumpen posted:

Oh, lol. I misread.

Um I meant to say look who was right about blacknyte D1 :lumpen:
the flavor argument though lmao

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah, credit where it is due! Blacknyte had me totally fooled this game

I told Blacknyte in the scumdoc he needs to play more, he was MVP of this game imo.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Post Scumdoc link plz.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lumpen posted:

Post Scumdoc link plz.
it's not very exciting

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

scumdoc

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Actions:

Night One
Blacknyte: Kill opop
Bowmore: Block Rascyc
Rascyc: Protect opop
EXAKT: Track Antivehicular
Murmur: Recruit Anidav

Night Two
Blacknyte: Kill Murmur
Bowmore: Block Rascyc
Rascyc: Protect Murmur
EXAKT: Track Ras
Murmur: Recruit EXAKT

Night Three
Blacknyte: Kill Ras
Rascyc: Protect EXAKT
EXAKT: Track Somber

Night Four
Blacknyte: Kill EXAKT
EXAKT: Track Ernie

Ras was super on point but scum had him on lockdown. One early scum miss and Ras could have really swung the game for town.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 4, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Role PMs:

quote:

"“I have him wrapped around my little finger.” – Lisa
You are LISA (Vanilla Town): Even though you’re Johnny’s future wife, you can see that your time in The Room is coming to an end. There are more attractive options out there and everything and everyone here is just so…boring. Except Mark. Still, you need time if you’re going to try to make a new life with Mark. Upsetting the delicate balance that exists in The Room would ruin all of your planning, and you wouldn’t be very happy if some other suspicious characters ruined all your plans. You win when all threats to The Room are eliminated.

quote:

"“Me underwears!” – Mike
You are MIKE (Vanilla Town): Your main priority is to make out with your girlfriend, Michelle. Anything that comes between you, Michelle and the friend’s couch you make out on when they aren’t home, has to be stopped. You win when all threats to The Room are eliminated

quote:

"“SPOON!” – The audience
You are SPOON (Mafia Goon): You may exist solely as a cosmic accident (see: set designer laziness) but those beyond the fourth wall have given you a power you never knew you were capable of having. You sit in the background always watching, waiting, eager to be thrown at the enlarged faces on the screen.
During the game you may speak to your fellow scum BOWMORE and ERNIE in a document. Each night you should agree on which member of the town will be killed. You win when you eliminate all of the town faction or create a situation in which this can’t be avoided.

quote:

"“I feel like I’m sitting on an atomic bomb waiting for it to go off.” – Steven
You are STEVEN (Mafia Roleblocker): The behind the scenes story goes that the actor who played Peter left the set without much warning, leaving them without the Peter for the final scenes of the movie. Tommy Wiseau decided, in a stroke of genius, that he would simply create a new character and give him all of Peter’s lines. Thus, Steven was created – a character who appears important, but no one knows who he is or where he came from.
As Steven you are skilled at stepping into other people’s roles. However, you’ll always be the other guy and that doesn’t sit well with you. Each night you can target one player. If they attempt a night action it will fail. During the game you may speak to your fellow scum BLACKNYTE and ERNIE in a document. Each night you should agree on which member of the town will be killed. You win when you eliminate all of the town faction or create a situation in which this can’t be avoided.

quote:

"“Lisa, your point of view is so different from mine.” – Michelle
You are MICHELLE (Mafia Godfather): You are Lisa’s best friend. You’ve always been “the other one.” Lisa is the pretty one. Lisa is the one with successful boyfriend (unlike your boyfriend, Mike, who might be retarded). But no one mentions that Lisa is also the horrible one. In fact, every one in this goddamned Room is awful. And you’re not the only one who thinks so.
You are immune to checks that reveal alignment. During the game you may speak to your fellow scum BLACKNYTE and BOWMORE in a document. Each night you should agree on which member of the town will be killed. You win when you eliminate all of the town faction or create a situation in which this can’t be avoided.

quote:

"“I just like to watch you guys.” – Denny
You are DENNY (Town Tracker): A possibly retarded man-boy, your innocence and naivety make it easy for you to slip in and out of The Room. However, you aren’t entirely the angel that others believe you are, and your simple existence has a way of getting you into trouble. Once per night you can target a player to follow. You will be informed whether or not they left their room at night and, if so, who they visited. You win when all threats to The Room are eliminated.

quote:

"“Peter you always play psychologist with us!” – Johnny
You are PETER (Vanilla Town): You are Johnny’s close friend. Deep down you know you’re above all this drama. But a part of you pities these people. You can read their problems and issues from a mile away and the mental health expert in you wants to help work them through them. You know you’re capable of helping these people given time, but no one can upset the fragile psyches of The Room’s inhabitants before then. You win when all threats to The Room are eliminated.

quote:

"“If everybody loved each other the world would be a better place to live.” - Johnny
You are JOHNNY (Town Mason Recruiter): A hard-working man who loves his wife and his friends. But his true love is football, specifically football played whilst standing only three feet apart. Each night you can target one player to join your football game and become a fellow mason (max 3 total Masons). You will be able to communicate with these players outside of the game in a special document. This will not confirm their alignment or role. You win when all threats to The Room are eliminated.

quote:

"“Oh hai Doggie.” – Johnny
You are DOGGIE (Vanilla Town): Fat and adorable, you would prefer if no one bothered you at all. Unfortunately this alien looking clown keeps coming in and buying red roses. Looks like you’re a part of this whether you like it or not. You win when all threats to The Room are eliminated.

quote:

"“I can’t hurt Johnny, he’s my best friend.” – Mark
You are MARK (Town Doctor): The handsome best friend of Johnny, Mark would never do anything to hurt his friends. Sure, he’s got some secrets of his own, but who doesn’t? One of those secrets is his stash of weed on the roof that he uses to unwind. Once per night you can target a player to join you in relaxing the green way. Since marijuana has proven health benefits, this will protect them from being killed in the night if they are targeted. You win when all threats to The Room are eliminated.

quote:

“Where’s my loving money, Denny?!” – Chris R.
You are CHRIS R (Vanilla Town): You don’t know who these people are or what they’re talking about. Denny bought some drugs off you and has your loving money. You want your loving money. You’re only going to get your loving money if whoever is trying to bring down The Room is stopped. You came prepared to threaten Denny if he didn’t have your loving money. You have a gun with one bullet in it. However, you’ll never get a chance to use it, you’re not a real gangster after all. But maybe, just maybe, there’s someone else who can. You win when all threats to The Room are eliminated.

quote:

"“I got the results of the test back. I definitely have breast cancer!” – Claudette
You are CLAUDETTE (Vanilla Town): The self-centered mother of Lisa. You want the best for your daughter and don’t especially care how she gets it. You may be manipulative, conniving and cancer-ridden, but you’re certainly not evil and definitely not capable of murder. You win when all threats to The Room are eliminated."

Lumpen's assumptions about flavor determining roles was incorrect, I assigned everything completely randomly and worked the flavor in based around that. Sometimes it was perfect (Denny), other times it was weird (Michelle, Spoon), but it was a fun challenge to make it work.

Flavor side note: If Murmur stayed alive he had an opportunity to get a hidden "achievement" of sorts. If he, as Johnny, was part of a hammer on Sandwolf (Chris R), he would have gained a vig kill. There was really nothing hinting to this outside of the brief mention in Sandwolf's PM, but I like to hide some non-gamebreaking mechanics in my flavor games here and there.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Those PMs are really good! Michelle's flavor is a little strange, but I can see how it works.

My biggest regret from this game, aside from my general regrets about how poo poo I am at Mafia and probably shouldn't play on SA and the usual litany of sorrows, is that I didn't breadcrumb by compulsively replacing "my" with "me." Breadcrumbing VT is dumb, but at least it would have been a fun dumb.

• Locked thread