Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Before Cap debuted, some other superheroes fought the not-the-Nazis-but-obviously-the-Nazis before the U.S. entered the war. The Blazing Skull was definitely kicking not-Nazi rear end in his debut in Mystic Comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Halloween Jack posted:

Before Cap debuted, some other superheroes fought the not-the-Nazis-but-obviously-the-Nazis before the U.S. entered the war. The Blazing Skull was definitely kicking not-Nazi rear end in his debut in Mystic Comics.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

-Siegel and Schuster for Look magazine, February 1940

e: I just found out the originally printed version was, er, oddly colored :raise:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 1, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The most unbelievable part of that is the League of Nations doing anything.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Die Laughing posted:

At the time a lot of people thought it wasn't America's business to punch Hitler.

Yes, of course. But still. Hitler.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Byzantine posted:

The most unbelievable part of that is the League of Nations doing anything.

True, but that's because the League of Nations' greatest member Rusev didn't join until 75 later.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 1, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rkajdi posted:

If you want another weird one from Hulk, Peter David also did an issue with a stand-in for Jonathan Pollard. It was the Hulk and Pantheon breaking this Israeli spy out of prison, with a bunch of stupid moralizing about how it should be okay to be a spy for a good cause and all that garbage you get from Israel apologists.I'm usually a big fan of David's, but this issue was disgusting on the same level as the wikileaks issue in Secret Avengers.

David's politics bleed into his work a lot, but generally it's stuff that is more palatable, like pro-equality stuff. You're gonna have some dissenters there, too, obviously, but The Hulk vs say, white supremacists is a lot more straightforward than anything going on in the Middle East. The Pollard thing is fairly isolated.

Personally, if I were a creator and I wasn't pissing racists off occasionally, I'd feel like I was doing it wrong.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

McSpanky posted:

e: I just found out the originally printed version was, er, oddly colored :raise:

I wonder if the rest of the magazine used similar coloring. That'd be a cool palette for an alternate universe Superman.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Die Laughing posted:

I wonder if the rest of the magazine used similar coloring. That'd be a cool palette for an alternate universe Superman.

Grant Morrison should put him in a Multiversity comic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I recommend reading a book called The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay for it perfectly captures the catharsism of an artist drawing a character punching the poo poo out of Hitler.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It makes sense, as Superman's look was inspired by circus strongmen who mostly wore wrestling leotards. Also it looks like they didn't have a lot of colors they could print either.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Two-color printing owns .

Could have used some better halftones, in that case, but oh well.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
So I just learned that in 2000AD, and specifically Dredd, all crossovers are considered canon rather than one-shots. Apart from the obvious weirdness in Dredd hanging out with Batman and fighting and Predators, it also means this little marketing effort is even funnier than it was when I first got a copy:

Basically the Justice Department has relaxed it's fascistic ban on Rock and Roll Music for one night only and somehow of all the bands in the world that could play Mega City One they invited British indie-wimps Placebo; a band previously best known for drunken belligerence at awards ceremonies and mild cross-dressing.

Somehow the Dark Judges get loose again and decide the best use of their powers would be to pretend to be the support act at the concert (they claim to be a Placebo tribute for some reason because comics) and start slaughtering the audience; Placebo are Not Having This and fight them. At one point the bass player incites the audience into moshing a Judge to death. I'm pretty sure there's a recap of the 'gaze into the fist of Dredd!' except featuring Brian Molko, which isn't entirely inappropriate considering his penchant for smashing up tables at press events.

Psi-judge Anderson turns up and recaptures them at the end I think, it's all a bit last minute as the comic is only a few dozen panels long and nobody involved wanting to waste much effort on a marketing one-shot. The last panel is Dredd ordering the other Judges to smile while the band finishes their concert to prevent a riot, and then there's some droll humour along of the lines of "Drokk! It hurts! Medic!" or something. I really need to dig my copy out and make some scans.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Holy crap haha. I'm super slow in everything I do and still like over 35 years back slowly going through 2000AD, but Placebo is one of my favorite bands (I don't care much about musicians beyond the stage so I have no idea about their apparent irritating tendencies, I just love the music) so this totally blows my mind.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Random Stranger posted:

My personal go-to reference for "This is a comic that actually exists!" is Street Poet Ray.

Marvel published multiple issues of terrible poetry accompanied by ugly cartoons.
This doesn't get enough recognition. What the hell was going on with this comic? It was published the same year as the first National Poetry Slam, so I can understand why a book with this sort of "vibe" made sense at the time. But the product was awful, and it was created by two people that, as far as I know, no one had heard of before and no one has heard from since in any entertainment medium.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Edge & Christian posted:

I thought this was the issue where Commander Rogers did the hilarious thing (repeated by Dan Slott in his Spider-Man run) of being morally superior in a sense of "look I'm a good person, I'd never torture you to death. I'll just hand you over to someone who will." and then a caption box going "it isn't really torture because I know they won't kill them, they'll just ALMOST kill them and they'll think they're about to die and will give up the info". But I think that was Warren Ellis.

"Oh, we're not going to torture you. We're going to stick scanning needles into your living brain and get the information that way. Totally painless."

"Unless we forget the anesthetic! Hi, I'm the surgeon, and I'm drunk!"

-- Henry Bendix and a Warren Ellis stand-in

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parahexavoctal posted:

"Oh, we're not going to torture you. We're going to stick scanning needles into your living brain and get the information that way. Totally painless."

"Unless we forget the anesthetic! Hi, I'm the surgeon, and I'm drunk!"

I don't think Bendix was really a good guy.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

prefect posted:

I don't think Bendix was really a good guy.

He definitively wasn't, but he got a sort-of redemption arc in... Monarchy? Most of that comic was a blur.

Man, most of Monarchy could really go in here. It's one of those unique series that I blew off initially because it's so full of itself and obtuse, but when I got a whole set out of quarter bins, I really, really enjoyed going through it in one sitting. For better or for worse, I feel it was just about the only followup to Ellis' run on The Authority that actually got it right.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Man, most of Monarchy could really go in here. It's one of those unique series that I blew off initially because it's so full of itself and obtuse, but when I got a whole set out of quarter bins, I really, really enjoyed going through it in one sitting. For better or for worse, I feel it was just about the only followup to Ellis' run on The Authority that actually got it right.

You included the "shoot HItler's ghost" scene, but not the plan about what to do next?

"Here's the plan. We're going to sell Hitler's ghost... into slavery... to alien sex gods. Anyone have a problem with that?"

"Of course not. It's Hitler!"

(...)

"Oh, stop whining! You should have thought of that before you had millions of people butchered! They can use you for a condom for all I care!"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Random Stranger posted:

My personal go-to reference for "This is a comic that actually exists!" is Street Poet Ray.

This looks like an excellent vehicle for a South Park spinoff -- Randy Marsh reliving his glory days in the 80s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I have no idea why you'd think of South Park instead of Welcome Back, Kotter like everyone else!

IIRC, absolutely everything in Monarchy was declared non-canon. They also eventually brought Bendix back (with, admittedly, the totally plausible and appropriate explanation that he'd hid copies of his consciousness all over the place). He died again in a big dust-up with the Authority, I think.

Part of the appeal of Wildstorm was that dead characters tended to stay dead. I was fine with them reviving the Stormwatch characters who were killed by xenomorphs because that was dumb bullshit, but Bendix coming back never sat well with me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

IIRC, absolutely everything in Monarchy was declared non-canon. They also eventually brought Bendix back (with, admittedly, the totally plausible and appropriate explanation that he'd hid copies of his consciousness all over the place). He died again in a big dust-up with the Authority, I think.

Yes. Literally the explanation is that The Monarchy is just Jackson King having hallucinations due to a drug The Doctor slipped him. The Monarchy's Bendix was at least a notably changed character, though, whereas his later resurrection was as a boring Amazo-knockoff, complete with pointy ears. He survived having Rose Tattoo kill him by hopping into his son's body and then he fell down a continuity hole, never to return AFAIK.

And yeah, Wildstorm was better when it was moving forward, but it eventually fell into navel-gazing like so many comic lines. Especially when anybody with talent was generally pulled off the imprint and put on a DC book, most of the line felt like the equivalent of the DC Try-Out Book.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Can someone explained Wildstorm to me. I know it was an imprint bit the only title I followed on it was Ex Machina. We're the others titles connected in some way or was each title its own universe.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Originally it was Jim Lee's studio inside Image. Later on DC bought them out to get on Jim Lee's good side and to trick Alan Moore into working for them again. For a while they used it to publish continuations of the Image Wildstorm books and stuff that didn't fit in either the mainstream DC universe or Vertigo. It's been dead and gone for a while, though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Buying Wildstorm made some sense at the time, where DC was trying to find ways to freshen up their staid imprint when Vertigo was starting to flag, and it also came with a number of profitable (at the time) licensed titles and popular creators. And Wildstorm was having a hard time thanks to the collector bubble imploding, and Jim Lee had been looking for a buyer to take the weight off of his back.

Madkal posted:

We're the others titles connected in some way or was each title its own universe.

To an extent. Originally they were part of the Image Universe (along with Spawn, Savage Dragon, Youngblood, etc.), but after being bought out by DC, they were separated from the Image Universe (which was what literally happened in the mini Shattered Image). Most of Wildstorm took place in its own little universe, though they had licensed titles that were separate, as well as creator-owned imprints like Homage, Cliffhanger, or ABC Comics. There was occasionally a series that was Wildstorm-branded that wasn't directly connected, but the original WIldstorm series under Image (Wildcats, Stormwatch, Gen13, Backlash, Union, etc.) retained their own little continuity.

Under DC, though, there were several continuity reboots in a desperate attempt to keep trying to revise the imprint, all to no avail until it was folded into the current DC continuity... at least until most of those titles were cancelled, too, though characters still exist in various DC titles here an there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remember when Grant Morrison was going to revamp Wildcats and did like one issue?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm sure I read Morrison's issue, but I don't remember it. This article discusses Morrison's issue as if he was arriving to save Wildcats from being a dull, ugly, violent, stupid Image comic...which Moore had already done years ago. WildCATs Volume 2 had some ups and downs (particularly in the art) but it was a vast improvement on what had gone before, and Wildcats Volume 3* was one of the best and most innovative superhero books being published in its day.

*They'd dropped the tortured "Wild Covert Action Teams" acronym at that point, although ironically, it was only later in the comic that they explored the idea of superhero teams as dangerous paramilitary groups with any realism.

Anyway, in latter-day Wildstorm, Wildcats, Stormwatch, The Authority, Planetary, Gen13, Sleeper, Welcome to Tranquility and their associated characters were all part of the same universe. This meant that some of those characters had a bit of history with Spawn or Savage Dragon, but it was easily ignored. The only confusing thing (if you get super into Wildstorm) is that the major events and origins of the major teams can be traced back to Team 7, so if you really want to delve into the lore you'd need to go back and read some hit-or-miss-stuff from the Image days. I also never figured out how Hadrian from the Wildcats was also Yon Kohl/John Colt/Kaizen Gamorra...

Anyway, Morrison making his Wildcats a shiny, optimistic comic made no sense, because the Wildstorm universe would soon be ruined by the Worldstorm, an apocalyptic event which turned all of their titles into the same book with different characters. It sucked.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Halloween Jack posted:

I also never figured out how Hadrian from the Wildcats was also Yon Kohl/John Colt/Kaizen Gamorra...
Hadrian was a standard type of android, John Colt was the personality programmed into him. I think.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yon Kohl was a Kherubim lord, who was so revered that his likeness was used for the Spartan robots.

On Earth he became John Colt, 30s pulp adventurer. He died stopping a Daemonite plot, but Emp programmed his personality into a Spartan robot.

Kohl/Colt wasn't really dead, and after regenerating, he kidnapped Kaizen Gamorra and took his place as part of a CIA plot in the 60s.

Spartan was a member of the WildCATs, using Spartan as a codename and calling himself Hadrian when off-duty. He had Kohl's personality, but not his memories or his emotions.

Eventually Kaizen/Kohl/Colt showed up, went crazy, and Spartan/Hadrian killed him, accessing his memories in the process.

Hadrian took on John Colt's name, but abandoned it when his body was destroyed and replaced by an emotionless backup. Emp died and left him the Halo corporation, so he took on Emp's public identity, Jack Marlowe. Now he's Jack Marlowe in public, Spartan to his teammates, and I think Voodoo is the only one who calls him Hadrian.

The real Kaizen returned to power, feuded with Stormwatch, and was killed by the Authority in their first story arc.

As comic book androids go, Spartan/Hadrian/Colt/Marlowe has more identity issues than Vision. And like Vision, his identity crises often revolved around whether or not he currently has human emotions.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sure I read Morrison's issue, but I don't remember it.

Anyway, Morrison making his Wildcats a shiny, optimistic comic made no sense, because the Wildstorm universe would soon be ruined by the Worldstorm, an apocalyptic event which turned all of their titles into the same book with different characters. It sucked.

It wasn't. The whole issue was a bit of a downer that talked about how people could get custom made Spartan's. The only part I clearly remember is a drunk Grifter not wanting to help people and this kid pleading with him because they're too poor to afford a Spartan.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is that Image comic where the Cyclops/Wolverine analogues go down on some dude in a hot tub worthy of inclusion ??

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Is that Image comic where the Cyclops/Wolverine analogues go down on some dude in a hot tub worthy of inclusion ??

:justpost:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Parahexavoctal posted:

Well, it's one thing to take a cipher character from a mid-level tanking Wildstorm superhero book and make him into a monstrous rear end in a top hat/writer stand-in, and ultimately the character was shown to be a monstrous rear end in a top hat.

It's kind of different to script the exact same scene for Captain America when you're doing a six issue arc on a C-level Avengers book and have some rejected Jack Cross/Frank Ironwine/Johnny Cigarettes/Zoey Suicidegrrl scripts lying around that you shove Moon Knight and Hawkeye into.

Though to be fair upon re-reading it, Captain America is just being a smarmy rear end Warren Ellis Protagonist who realizes 100% how hypocritical it is to say "I don't believe in torture, so I'm going to step outside while Moon Knight and Black Widow just start kneecapping and stabbing people until they talk. Heh. I know, I'm totally endorsing torture but I'm a right hard bastard who does what needs done to take out the even bigger bastards, you.... bastards." as opposed to Spider-Man in Ends of the Earth who truly believes if Silver Sable only *starts* to disintegrate Sandman's head but doesn't actually fully go through with murdering him it's not really torture, because threatening to murder someone and putting them in intense pain to get them to give up intel isn't torture, it's only when you actually murdering people before they can talk that it's torture. I think that was like an actual Dan Slott position?

Then again that entire arc's plot is "Doc Ock has cancer and wants to kill 99.9% of humanity so at least he'll be remembered as history's greatest monster, even worse than Hitler!"

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Edge & Christian posted:

Then again that entire arc's plot is "Doc Ock has cancer and wants to kill 99.9% of humanity so at least he'll be remembered as history's greatest monster, even worse than Hitler!"

This actually sounds like a pretty great plot though, unless it took itself really seriously (I am sure that it did)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
While I was traveling for the holidays, I was back at my mom's place, where a bunch of my collection is in storage. While I was going through it, I discovered that for some God-forsaken reason, I have the entire run of Ron Zimmerman's Get Kraven limited series, which features art by a sadly wasted John McCrea.

For some reason, Zimmerman really wanted to make his version of Al Kraven a thing: an illegitimate trust-fund mutant kid with no particular interest in the world of superheroics. Get Kraven is a Marvel Universe-themed homage to the then-popular movie Get Shorty, based on an Elmore Leonard novel, with a bizarre guest appearance by Scott Baio, of all people.

Reading it now, it's interesting to see what works and what doesn't. The general idea behind it is naturally the same thing as Get Shorty, where an authentic mobster is forced to deal with professionally-inauthentic Hollywood people. Zimmerman's version of Kraven doesn't have that authenticity; he's an idiot who won a rigged game of womb roulette, and the narrative bends over backwards on his behalf. There's a germ of a fun idea in here, where a character like this could be used to tell some interesting stories, but it's the wrong character, the wrong writer, or both. Also, it does the Kevin Smith thing and gets violent and rapey towards the end of the miniseries, which is never a good idea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

That's an old "color" technique a lot of publications used when they couldn't afford four-color printing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was the retcon for why the JSA didn't go and fight in Europe or the Pacific? I think it's because FDR specifically asked them to stay and deal with superhuman enemies at home, but I remember at one point there was something about Hitler stealing the Holy Lance and using it to cast a magic spell which prevented superheroes from setting foot in Axis territory.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
It was the Spear of Destiny, which later contained the soul of Hitler, and then managed to possess Superman.

This looks like a job for...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What was the retcon for why the JSA didn't go and fight in Europe or the Pacific? I think it's because FDR specifically asked them to stay and deal with superhuman enemies at home, but I remember at one point there was something about Hitler stealing the Holy Lance and using it to cast a magic spell which prevented superheroes from setting foot in Axis territory.

What would have happened if the US had shipped all their supervillains to Germany during the war?

Now that I think about it, Golden Age Suicide Squad sounds like an Elseworlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

What would have happened if the US had shipped all their supervillains to Germany during the war?

Now that I think about it, Golden Age Suicide Squad sounds like an Elseworlds.

That sounds like a job for Darwyn Cooke!

• Locked thread