Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spielmeister posted:

At 1:05 I have to wonder if Shizuku's VA was asking herself that same question. :v:

Is that the game where the localization director reputedly got friends and family to do VA work for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is that the game where the localization director reputedly got friends and family to do VA work for?

Because VA was too much money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygDzAkothQ

Now here's one that's just bad professionally by a localization company known to be cheap shits that lowball bids just to get the game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Tae posted:

Because VA was too much money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygDzAkothQ

Now here's one that's just bad professionally by a localization company known to be cheap shits that lowball bids just to get the game.

Because SCEA wouldn't allow a game to release with Japanese only voices and they couldn't afford real VAs.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Because SCEA wouldn't allow a game to release with Japanese only voices and they couldn't afford real VAs.

Nowadays, you can get english VAs and then charge people for the privilege of playing with the original japanese VAs!

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 37: This Chunk of Game Did Not Divide Easily into Episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0f_m_HqGlQ

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I was not expecting the arrival of fetish nazi.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well edge just handed over his super advance technology to Totally Not Nazis. Can anyone guess what will happen next?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So I can blame Time Warrior Edge Maverick for President Trump?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I think he's to blame for Samsung's... quality problems as of late.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
You know who never gets carded? Giant monsters. #GiantMonsterPrivlige

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As stupid as it is, I can't really blame Edge too much here. He comes from a post-apocalyptic future and is trying to avert that horrific outcome.

He's doing it in a dumb way but people aren't rational creatures.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Meracle is a weird character because on some level I get what they are going for - she is small because she is a housecat, and she licked everyone to show gratitude because she is a cat. She also moves in a very skittish way, again reinforcing the feline themes - they characterize her by making her move like a cat instead of the usual constant meowing. The problem is that every article of clothing she wears appears to be fetish gear as opposed to actual clothing and it completely muddles what they are going for - they're going for childlike innocence but they've dressed her like an exotic dancer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mega64 posted:

If you told me we lived in the timeline of theirs where the Earth becomes uninhabitable, I would buy that

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately the terrible world ending war destroyed the entire history channel video archive, so Wet and SamRaimi never got to see endless nazi documentaries.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Except our space program doesn't give us the chance to live on after we gently caress up our planet. Which, if this game is anything to go by, might be a good thing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wet is like those aliens in Galaxy Quest, only for history.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

Unfortunately the terrible world ending war destroyed the entire history channel video archive, so Wet and SamRaimi never got to see endless nazi documentaries.

It's for the best. By their time, the nazi stuff would have been taped over with reruns of Ancient Aliens, and that would have become the new factual history.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

BioEnchanted posted:

Meracle is a weird character because on some level I get what they are going for - she is small because she is a housecat, and she licked everyone to show gratitude because she is a cat. She also moves in a very skittish way, again reinforcing the feline themes - they characterize her by making her move like a cat instead of the usual constant meowing. The problem is that every article of clothing she wears appears to be fetish gear as opposed to actual clothing and it completely muddles what they are going for - they're going for childlike innocence but they've dressed her like an exotic dancer.

Meracle really, really makes me wish this game had unlockable alternate costumes like SO3 did. I also don't know which is the proper way to blame Klaus: for giving Meracle that outfit or for not replacing it with something less creepy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

wateyad posted:

Episode 37: This Chunk of Game Did Not Divide Easily into Episodes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0f_m_HqGlQ
Edge "To Hell With the Prime Directive' Maverick

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The designers of this game have never met a real cat. Had Meracle been an actual cat, she'd continue to run away after you helped her, the party would try in vain to find her, but then have to sadly give up, but then find her sprawled on the pilot's console on the ship in the god damned way when they're trying to make some kind of dramatic escape.

And she'd have pissed in SamRami's shoes.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

As stupid as it is, I can't really blame Edge too much here. He comes from a post-apocalyptic future and is trying to avert that horrific outcome.

I have no issue with Wet trying to change history to prevent WW3. But like you say, they make him go about it in such an unnecessarily dumb way. You could just give them the schematics for the ship's reactor. And also all your medical data. Maybe stop the many people who would die from diseases? Yes? No? No. Okay.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I know this is a videogame and is actually hard to do right, but also they're focusing the camera on it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

You and I both know that mix is exactly what they were going for :barf: :aatrek:.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Suspect Bucket posted:

The designers of this game have never met a real cat. Had Meracle been an actual cat, she'd continue to run away after you helped her, the party would try in vain to find her, but then have to sadly give up, but then find her sprawled on the pilot's console on the ship in the god damned way when they're trying to make some kind of dramatic escape.

If Meracle had been an actual cat, she would have looked like this:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If Meracle had been an actual cat, she would have looked like this:

Please don't compare a talented hollywood actress to Meracle :colbert:.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please don't compare a talented hollywood actress to Meracle :colbert:.

Please don't compare Al Capone's boss to Meracle.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

No, this is pretty legitimately stupid as gently caress.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is it bad that I wish this is what happened?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
What kind of lovely cat did you have that you think they normally piss in your shoes?

Also the easiest way to make the character not completely terrible is to give her normal clothing. Or just have her look exactly like that cat Leg was chasing (maybe with blue fur if they really want to).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Also the easiest way to make the character not completely terrible is to give her normal clothing.
That didn't save Limb.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

FractalSandwich posted:

That didn't save Limb.

Limb isn't 100% completely terrible, as evidenced by the fact Meracle is worse.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I think the world has room for many different kinds of 100% completely terrible characters.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I think Limb's the best character simply because there's been a few times the game has tried to make me laugh with her, and it's succeeded. For everyone else, I've only laughed when the game wasn't trying to be funny.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
That isn't a cat girl, it's a cosplaying hobbit

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked the end of the ambush battles at the start of the video, where Bacchus shot Edge in the head in slow motion.

Also that was the goofiest chimera I have ever seen in a videogame. That loving bird. And he flails around like a inflatable tube man when running so thank you for making him chase you in circles. And the goat head is just crammed underneath the lion one. It even pirouettes.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Limb is growing on me. Really, a lot of the terrible things about her character are opaque if you aren't aware of the :anime: tropes surrounding her. Meracle is just god awful at face value.

Of course, I feel like there is a terrible side to Limb's characterization that really hasn't come out yet based on what some of the people who've played the game have implied. We'll see how I feel about this post in a couple of months.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 38: WELL THIS SURE IS HAPPENING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_3SPvrViWM

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

wateyad posted:

Episode 38: WELL THIS SURE IS HAPPENING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_3SPvrViWM

It sure is. :allears:

Also, I am curious what skill it is you think Meracle gets.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
They named the reactor... What? JAPAN, WHY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This was one of the only things I could ever remember about 4 when I think back on it. That whole story line, and something it does with the gameplay soon-ish is one of my favorite things in any game ever.

• Locked thread