Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tae posted:

You can say the same thing to like 90% of sports leagues

Why do the Sacramento kings still exist

Because the Nappa Valley Winos aren't a marketable team name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Benson Cunningham posted:

That's a fine opinion to have.

My opinion is that the game is fine, but the playerbase needs to either step up or move on. If your name isn't Armada, Hungrybox, or Mango (and m2k or leffen on the rare outside chance), I have no idea why you're still wasting your time since you are never going to win.

Maybe the players still just enjoy playing the game and competing in it, enjoying the struggle to get better?

If that makes the game boring to watch, that's fine, whatever. But you're implying that something is wrong with the players for just playing a game they like.

Tbh I'd rather all the SFV players go to SF2/3/4 and play games they enjoy, instead of being forced to play the newer shitier game simply because it's new or for money. But if they enjoy SF5, that's cool too.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I play competitive Melee because Falco combos are cool

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i am rooting for the nice looking swedish boy over the american vagrant

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Ventana posted:

Maybe the players still just enjoy playing the game and competing in it, enjoying the struggle to get better?

If that makes the game boring to watch, that's fine, whatever. But you're implying that something is wrong with the players for just playing a game they like.

Tbh I'd rather all the SFV players go to SF2/3/4 and play games they enjoy, instead of being forced to play the newer shitier game simply because it's new or for money. But if they enjoy SF5, that's cool too.

I'm suggesting that if your goal is to win the tournament, you should stop playing.

If you like to go 0-2 outie, play to your hearts content!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mango looks like the least likely person to play Smash on earth

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Armada has the evil villain haircut

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

RBX posted:

Mango looks like the least likely person to play Smash on earth

I thought that too until they did a closeup and I saw the Fox tattoo on his arm.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013

I'm suggesting that if your goal is to win the tournament, you should stop playing.

If you like to go 0-2 outie, play to your hearts content!

https://twitter.com/gcyoshi13/status/884875451952283648

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Armada is just unreal good, the last time he lost to a non top 6 player was in like 2010 or 2011 or something

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Yup. If you aren't trying to win, there are a ton of good reasons to enter a smash tournament.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Well, some of those games were good, if not anti-climatic again.

Speaking of which, we're 0-4 in bracket resets in grand finals this year, right?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't have anything against Melee per se other than the memes and the fact that dudes be a bit entitled. It is one of the hardest games to grasp as a spectator tho, and it runs long as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Edit: But in keeping with what you're saying, I don't think the Sacramento Kings of Smash has any fans. You either like a god or live in perennial disappoint with no chance of that changing. Actually, it's starting to sound a lot like being a sports fan in some cities.

People cheered Mike Ross and low-tier champions. I mean, underdog factor is a thing.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Dias posted:

I don't have anything against Melee per se other than the memes and the fact that dudes be a bit entitled. It is one of the hardest games to grasp as a spectator tho, and it runs long as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

People cheered Mike Ross and low-tier champions. I mean, underdog factor is a thing.

I would love to see the round time cut down to 5 minutes or so.

This year they did run most of top 8 as bo3, and that helped speed things along.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Why was GG not on Sunday?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
only one anime allowed at a time

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Keegers posted:

Why was GG not on Sunday?

:shrug:

Mr. Wiz probably expected a bigger turnout is my guess. That and new game push.

Anyway, I like EVO because it equalizes legends and man. One thing both JWong and me have in common: we're watching EVO finals from a distance.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Not sure what's left on Bar Fights but they were supposed to have WNF vs NLBC and Smug vs ISDD tonight

http://live.crosscounter.tv/

edit: site is garbage. https://www.twitch.tv/happystupendous streaming from venue

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 16, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
How many years does melee have left if the same people are gonna keep winning

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

How many years does melee have left if the same people are gonna keep winning

I mean, Marvel 2 lasted quite a while.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Melee is just old and I don't understand why they can't move on like every other fighting game. I love CVS2 and SC2 but I understand why they're not at evo or being played regularly.

Dias posted:

I mean, Marvel 2 lasted quite a while.

Where? If last awhile meaning people will play it a lot yes but no its been done.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

so this year is the last year for melee at evo, right?

right??

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RBX posted:

Melee is just old and I don't understand why they can't move on like every other fighting game. I love CVS2 and SC2 but I understand why they're not at evo or being played regularly.

because the non-melee smash games are completely different. the closest modern melee-esque game, Project: M, actually had a ton of crossover between modern and classic smash players and had bigger turnout than Melee at some major tournaments before it got... cancelled? C&D'd? they were actually completely tight-lipped about it, but either way the game is now basically the purview of locals.

there's non-nintendo smash style games like Rivals of Aether that can be fun but that'd be like not understanding why Capcom players don't just go play yatagarasu

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

right??

Slam ball will finally replace the NBA!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AlphaKeny1 posted:

right??

Only if they want it, which might be a yes because Smash community is running away from EVO pretty hard.

RBX posted:

Where? If last awhile meaning people will play it a lot yes but no its been done.

That scene carried on for a good ten years and only stopped because there was cash in MvC3.

also WHAT THE gently caress PUT A SHIRT ON

Grumblesnakes
Aug 25, 2015
As long as Mango is around Melee will keep on truckin'. Melee has a huge proportion of fans that don't actually play the game and just follow for the personalities.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
stupendous has a better barfights stream than the barfights stream

https://www.twitch.tv/happystupendous

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have never been more scared than when that man was about to take off his pants

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
holy poo poo there's a woman screaming bloody murder at everything

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I like how the crosscountertv twitch channel is just hosting for someone else

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Countblanc posted:

because the non-melee smash games are completely different. the closest modern melee-esque game, Project: M, actually had a ton of crossover between modern and classic smash players and had bigger turnout than Melee at some major tournaments before it got... cancelled? C&D'd? they were actually completely tight-lipped about it, but either way the game is now basically the purview of locals.

They shut it down on their own accord preemptively to avoid any legal issues. Not a C&D directly, but still worried about legal issues.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

there's non-nintendo smash style games like Rivals of Aether that can be fun but that'd be like not understanding why Capcom players don't just go play yatagarasu

I know that. I play them all. Same way Street Fighters or Tekkens play different from game to game. Can't expect everything to be the same every single game. They just refuse to suck it up and relearn anything.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
why do they need to "suck it up"? why do they need to tailor their interests to appease you?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Dias posted:

Only if they want it, which might be a yes because Smash community is running away from EVO pretty hard.

Wait why does smash hate EVO

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dragongem posted:

Perceived disrespect

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dragongem posted:

it doesn't have sharies (their nickname for doubles) and it doesn't have handwarmer stations and it doesn't give them enough time

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Why not watch this KOF suite instead
https://www.twitch.tv/on_vicio

Japan VS Mexico exhibition happening right now

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

why do they need to "suck it up"? why do they need to tailor their interests to appease you?

We're talking in the context of what spectators wanted or think about Smash.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ignis posted:

Why not watch this KOF suite instead
https://www.twitch.tv/on_vicio

Japan VS Mexico exhibition happening right now

is there hype spanish commentary cause otherwise i'mma watch this pretty asian girl stream punk beating up fools and interviewing people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

theGrooseofLegend posted:

As a guy who plays Melee, I'm honestly curious: what are Melee's problems as a competitive game? What annoys you as a spectator or, if you were making a competitive platform fighter of your own, what would you fix about it?

My observations watching top 8: there is a huge amount of time spent in neutral because defense has been optimized. Back in 06, DI was not as good meaning that death strings were a lot more common in the metagame. 4 stocks were a necessity back then because they could disappear in an instant. Nowadays, since defensive options have become better you'll see hits lead to nothing and characters surviving as high as 150%, meaning more time spent in neutral and games lasting more than 3 minutes. As a player I find the neutral game engaging, but as a spectator it's infuriating to watch.

Melee at its best is Axe vs Silentwolf game 3, where a top player can make 4 stocks vanish in less than a minute. Melee at its worst is Armada vs Mew2king game 3 where neither player can convert off of anything and the match lasts up to 6 and a half minutes :suicide:

(as a side note, what do guys think about other platform fighters that's inspired by Melee like RoA and Project M)

Serious post time:

I was talking to a co-worker about this other day, and he understood a fighting game tournament having stuff like Street Fighter and Tekken. But he was surprised that Melee would be at such an event, which basically led to me describing how it runs, and coming to the realization that Competitive Melee is far different than the Melee the vast majority of us played, and that's probably not a good thing.

What I mean is that the Street Fighter I play isn't the Street Fighter that top players play, and the basketball I play isn't the basketball that LeBron plays, but we're generally in the same realm, or at least the same rulebook. Competitive Melee has practically nothing in common with how the game was intended to be played. It's like they took a peanut M&M, hollowed it out until all that was left was that little nub at the end of the peanut, and left it the candy shell. It may say Melee but it's not; the community has created something that's interesting to watch at high levels but it has nearly nothing in common with how the game was designed to be played and how most of us played Melee, which means there's a disconnect.

Melee also suffers from a lack of parity at it's highest levels. There's a thread about parity in sports over in SAS right now and what I've been meaning to ignore my job and write another effort post about is that we want the illusion of parity in sports, but not necessarily parity itself. In a major event we want the top players/teams to be there at the end, to lend credibility that what we're witnessing is a big deal, but we want there to be an underdog for fresh blood/rooting interest. Melee has it's four/five gods and they win everything, and perhaps most importantly, appear to be winning everything for the foreseeable future. Games/sports get boring if the same team wins over and over again (unless someone manages to push said champ past their limits but I digress). Ratings for the NBA Playoffs were down this year until the Finals because everyone knew it was the Cavs and Warriors at the end and they were never threatened; had either team been taken to a sixth/seventh game there would have been more intrigue and higher ratings; a die-hard Melee fan or someone with a rooting interest in the four gods will watch regardless but a casual fan could be turned off by the same names competing for the title.

The other major thing Melee has working against it is its community. Even by FGC standards they're more obnoxious/intolerable re: autistic than the rest, which ends up being a turnoff, or how two people who are very similar either get along like gangbusters or can't stand each other. Because Melee is so different than other fighting games there's very little player crossover at high levels which means there's limited opportunities for understanding. The Melee community is also very insular, getting no support from said FGC and no support from Nintendo, which Hungrybox whined about earlier this year. The issue with getting no support from Nintendo is that Nintendo has no reason to support a game that's on hardware from four console generations ago and has been morphed into something completely different than intended; really to support competitive Melee would be to tell Sakurai that he made his game wrong. It's why it was such a shock and a big deal that Melee won the EVO poll a few years ago and made an effort to integrate itself back in with the greater FGC,; they had been so insular and previous efforts at intertwining the two went so poorly that people were stunned that they would want to come back in. As we've seen in the years since Smash has stuck around and been mixed back in but it's at the level of "drunk uncle at Thanksgiving" where you don't want to talk about anything because it's just going to lead to arguments and peoples getting mad.

Melee's future is going to be one of a gradual decline as the already old hardware becomes harder and harder to find. Big tournaments have enough issues finding CRTs and Gamecubes aren't being made anymore, and even though Nintendo started making Gamecube controllers again for the purpose of playing Smash if you have to find one that's malfunctioning in order to play at the highest levels, that doesn't bode well for your future. The players will get older and their skills will decline as nature intended and it's a question if there'll be younger blood ready and willing to take over.

The only things that could shake up Melee would be: going to fewer stocks/shorter time which naturally increases variance, but the community's going to be very hesitant to change anything that's so ingrained and I don't think they want that variance anyway, or Nintendo releasing the game on Switch which makes it accessible to a whole new audience. Considering how apprehensive Melee was towards Brawl/4 I could see even a re-release being rejected over flaws real or perceived, meaning CRT/Gamecube Melee is the only True Melee and anything else is an impostor. New blood coming in to shake up the pecking order might also do it but I'm not holding my breath there.

Melee isn't perfect or flawless like I shitpost about and it's also not a cancer as the thread likes to bitch about it, it's different and with flaws and no real motivation to fix said flaws. In the end, Melee will just be content to do its own thing and nothing of value will be gained or lost.

• Locked thread