Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The second picture of him on Wikipedia has some anime hair going on:

Happy ending however, the third picture is him dead after being shot by Union troops :heritage:

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Apart from the belt, he looks like half the guys who get thrown out of the local pub every week-day night.

He was the kind of guy who would come back to the public pub, look the doors and then set fire to it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

He was the kind of guy who would come back to the public pub, look the doors and then set fire to it.

At my local pub, that's Tuesday.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

The most Austrian photo, you mean.

The greatest trick the Austrians ever pulled was convincing the world that Mozart was Austrian and Hitler was German.

This supposed fact - that Hitler is seen as 100% Austrian today - has been bugging me lately, so when I saw this I just had to reply even if it's been a year and change since you wrote it.
So even though I'm quoting you, this isn't really a response to your quote so much as a place for me to write down some thoughts I've had on the subject lately.

I'd say that Hitler could count as either Austrian or German, seeing how he was born in Austria-Hungary - an empire with many nationalities.

The German-speakers of the empire used to be seen as Germans, but by the time Hitler was born this had become a bit more complicated by the German unification that didn't include the Germans living in Austria-Hungary. Either way, it's clear that Hitler felt more German than Austro-Hungarian seeing as how he moved to Germany and fought in WWI for the German army. After the war, AH shatters into many pieces, one of which is Austria. So even if Hitler clearly saw himself as German here, now that Austria exists you could call him an Austrian immigrant and be correct. Until Hitler gets into politics and eventually becomes the dictator of Germany, because that's when he goes and has Germany annex Austria. For the rest of Hitler's life, Austria is just a part of Germany. So calling him an Austrian immigrant makes no sense anymore.

So Hitler was born in AH but clearly saw himself as German so moved to Germany before WWI. Since he managed to join the German army he obviously wasn't seen as foreign by other Germans. He was also very successful in politics as a German nationalist, his party growing large enough to eventually seize total power in a coup. He then had Germany annex Austria - a country he had never lived in. When he killed himself he had been the sole ruler in Germany for over a decade, and there was no country called Austria anywhere. But because the town he was born in is in Austria today, he is now 100% Austrian and 0% German?

Ok, so those were the problems I could think of with viewing Hitler as purely Austrian. Did I miss anything?

I should mention that I am neither Austrian or German btw, and my intent isn't to shift people's opinion over to 100% German Hitler. I just have a pet peeve with historical figures ending up with "canonical" nationalities that come with issues. In this case I feel like treating Austrian and German as a binary choice is probably downright misleading for understanding the time period.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Thanks a lot now I think Hitler is good!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biplane posted:

Good news! There are lots of threads in the forums for people like you!

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Biplane posted:

I only intended to make Hitler's placement on the Austrian-German axis a bit more mobile here, so Hitler's placement on a good-evil axis shouldn't have moved at all, and certainly not all the way to good! Maybe check if your good-evil lever is connected to your Germany-Austria lever?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Name ten good Austrians

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

steinrokkan posted:

Name ten good Austrians

Hedy Lamarr, Gustav Klimt, Joseph Haydn, Johann Strauss Sr., Johann Strauss Jr., Josef Strauss, Mozart, Franz Schubert, Fritz Lang, Wolfgang Pauli.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Drop one of those losers for Arnold

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hedy Lamarr, Gustav Klimt, Joseph Haydn, Johann Strauss Sr., Johann Strauss Jr., Josef Strauss, Mozart, Franz Schubert, Fritz Lang, Wolfgang Pauli.

I'm not gonna trust somebody with such strong pro Austrian bias

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yep, nine famous artists and a physicist. I sure am biased towards Austria.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

steinrokkan posted:

Name ten good Austrians

Billy Wilder, Peter Lorre, Tony Curtis, Hedy Lamarr, Steven Geray, Rodney Dangerfield, Peter Falk, Zsa Zsa Gabor, William S. Darling, and Bela Lugosi

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Maybe, just perhaps, his views on what does or does not make people german is why we call him Austrian and that everyone is just taking the piss out of him? It's not like he invaded Austria over it or anything.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Pauli was famously kind of a dick, though

Mark Twain visits Nikola Tesla

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Caption says these are bondefangere = "farmer-trappers/catchers" (ie. conmen, cf. German Bauernfänger, like the Rattenfänger = pied piper) snaring their prey at Café Amerika in Copenhagen circa 1912, though I can't imagine what the scam is. Looks complicated.

https://kbhbilleder.dk/kbh-museum/83257

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Mar 10, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mercury train running Washington Street in front of the city hall of Syracuse, New York

Mercury operation started on July 15, 1936. Trains ceased to run the streets in Syracuse on September 24, 1936, after the completion of an elevated line and a station at Erie Boulevard. Presumably the photograph was taken between those dates. I would argue that it’s on the earlier end because Syracuse is not in the tropics and those shadows are awfully small. It can’t be that far from noon, or that far from the summer solstice.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Mar 11, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

looks like noon, mid june to mid july at ~60° lat yeah

love that early futurism tho

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Mar 11, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Biplane posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

Mercury train running Washington Street in front of the city hall of Syracuse, New York

Mercury operation started on July 15, 1936. Trains ceased to run the streets in Syracuse on September 24, 1936, after the completion of an elevated line and a station at Erie Boulevard. Presumably the photograph was taken between those dates. I would argue that it’s on the earlier end because Syracuse is not in the tropics and those shadows are awfully small. It can’t be that far from noon, or that far from the summer solstice.

God what a beaut

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The Mallard exists in working order and lives in the National Railway museum. Built on 3rd march 1938, and on 3rd July it broke the speed record.

Pictured on that date:

Click through to find out what colour she is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A4_4468_Mallard

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
:flashfap:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“A fabric womb made by Angélique du Coudray, a French midwife who was commissioned by King Louis XV to reduce infant mortality. From 1760 to 1783, she traveled all over France, visiting poor rural women and sharing her extensive knowledge with them. It is estimated that she trained some 10,000 women.”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So cool.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That's a really well-done model

also whoa already from 1672, midwives had to be certified in Denmark (teaching and exams by the state-certified town physicians who were taught at the university). I would have expected much later! There were many uncertified ones, though. One of my ancestors was a certified midwife in the early 1800s & I found some complaints she made that the local women would use a couple of old women in the town rather than her. I know from other sources that she was a pretty terrible person, so probably it was unrelated to any skill issues or lack thereof.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Mar 27, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There was another cool model maker that that reminded me of despite being nowhere related and in fact the total opposite of the life timeline. Some woman made a bunch of murder scene dioramas for prospective police detectives to use to determine cause of death and stuff

http://deathindiorama.com/

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Educational use of lovingly crafted models is tight.
If you got a physical tangible model than people learn in a completely different way from the more common methods and more of the information is likely to stick.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Educational use of lovingly crafted models is tight.
If you got a physical tangible model than people learn in a completely different way from the more common methods and more of the information is likely to stick.

We were on a class trip to Eureka back in the 1990s. There were some trenches dug in the back yard with a korsu (IDK what it's called in English) with all the furnishings. There were some mannequins in the korsu, dressed in old uniforms. Newmatumbo took one of the rifle-cleaning rods, pulled down the pants of a mannequin lying on a bunk, and shoved the rod up its spruehole. I often wondered how long it took for someone to notify staff/it to be removed. There was a lot of traffic.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And was that an accurate representation of the things going on back in the war?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By popular demand posted:

And was that an accurate representation of the things going on back in the war?

I mean, probably?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Who is newmatumbo

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Not much, what's newmatumbo with you

Milo and POTUS posted:

There was another cool model maker that that reminded me of despite being nowhere related and in fact the total opposite of the life timeline. Some woman made a bunch of murder scene dioramas for prospective police detectives to use to determine cause of death and stuff

http://deathindiorama.com/

I actually got to see these in person about 10 years ago; a friend had somehow managed to arrange an appointment to see them at the Medical Examiner's Office in Baltimore and I tagged along. They're really incredibly detailed, and it was cool being able to walk around them and look from all sides.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who is newmatumbo

Google translate tells me it is Shona for "and intestines." :ms:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Do you all think "Newmatumbo shoved the rod up its spruehole" is a good thread title or not?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

DO IT YOU COWARD

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ok

I moderated :toot:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who is newmatumbo

There was already a Matumbo at school but then a new kid called Matumbo showed up.

(This is what it would normally be, like with Mike and Newmike, but actually his surname is Newmatumbo.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Now those are shorts. None of this knee-length garbage.

According to imgur where I stole it: "In the 1940s, men dressed in shorts and cowboy boots served up to women at a drive through in Texas."

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

A British EOD tech walks towards a carbomb on Manor Street and Oldpark Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

This just came up on SAD, and will be a cross post in several threads of pyf. If you have items that are on imgur you want to keep, now would be a good time.

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1648883351233896448