Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Friends showed up with a JDM swapped impreza.

Today's specials are exhaust swaps with a side of 12 degrees.

Go to pull the rear O2 sensor and the wiring fell apart. Someone monkey hosed it in a past life.....

A barely crimped butt splice and not heat shrunk at all, the rest just wrapped in electrical tape.

Put it back together with proper soldering, heat shrink, and then electrical tape so the wires don't rub each other to death. What a mess.

Exhaust is quieter now.

I also bugged jamal and have parts on order for my wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Might be one of the cheapo sensors without the plugs on Rock auto?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

daslog posted:

Might be one of the cheapo sensors without the plugs on Rock auto?

It's because that car has a long history of being buttfucked by a few different people. I'm pretty sure it was a swap done in a different car that was crashed, then ghetto slammed into that shell as fast as possible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Do retards not know that there are in fact connectors in wiring harnesses that allow them to be disassembled without dikes and reassembled without home electrical supplies and duct tape?

Jesus.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Do retards not know that there are in fact connectors in wiring harnesses that allow them to be disassembled without dikes and reassembled without home electrical supplies and duct tape?

Jesus.

To be fair, it's a lot cheaper to buy oxygen sensors without connectors, and splice them into the existing harness. That being said, it appears that splicing wires is well beyond the intellectual and mechanical grasp of nearly everyone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

To be fair, it's a lot cheaper to buy oxygen sensors without connectors, and splice them into the existing harness. That being said, it appears that splicing wires is well beyond the intellectual and mechanical grasp of nearly everyone.

And those O2 sensors not only need to be crimped properly but with the SUPPLIED STEEL CRIMPS or they are worse than useless. You can not use whatever crimps suit your fancy, as O2 sensors are electrical generators, and dissimilar metals in contact heating are also electrical generators....so your pot metal crimps on steel wire isn't gonna work (it throws off the reading).

But this is all well beyond the grasp of someone who would make a crimp that looks like that.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Not enough cat pictures lately. The service crew manager doesn't approve of -15 degree temperatures this morning.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I did a thing today.

Stock vs hacked and blacked out junkyard:

The metal flexes too much so the lights aren't in at the moment, I need to add more cross bracing next weekend and wire them up. Hope they don't get too hot and make the car sad.

Also need to figure out how I can black out the AC condenser.

I've got new struts, whiteline control arms, bushings, all on order. Getting ready for vermont winter challenge.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

gently caress

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

quote:

Also need to figure out how I can black out the AC condenser.

Lightly dust it with semigloss black until it's the shade that you want. Eastwood sells radiator paint but I remember seeing some testing that regular paint, as long as it isn't put on too thick won't change the efficiency any significant amount.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Radiator paint is just regular paint with a low solids content so it doesn't glob as much. If you're judicious about going light on the spray you should be OK. You just don't want to clog the airflow gaps between the fins.

I'd be curious to see a test of high side pressures before and after.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 10, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Did more work today. New front right axle to replace the one with the nuked boot. Swapped it so quick I forgot to take a pic.

Getting the forward diff mount ready for new bushings.

Awwww yeahhhhhh. Throttle response is getting better. Will be ace once I get the trailing arm bushings.

Picked up some SICKSPEED hella knock offs for a stooper cheap deal. Going to get a relay and wire them up with my junkyard hellas to have an array of 4 loud horns.

Got the mounting braced and the lights installed. Just need to wire them next weekend.

Red maplight LED installed for codriver at vermont winter:

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Why a red light?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

Why a red light?

It will distract the driver less, and diminish the low light vision of the co-driver less, if I remember correctly.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Raluek posted:

It will distract the driver less, and diminish the low light vision of the co-driver less, if I remember correctly.

thanks!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Bingo, codriver is going to be reading notes under the red lights to not mess with my night vision while driving.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Why did you not buy pink horns

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Did the rear diff bushing inserts today. The driveline is now locked down from front to back with either group N or aftermarket poly bushings.

It of course wasn't without issue.

Sometimes you just have to get creative.

All that is left before vermont winter is trailing arm bushings when they show up, outback strut/spring install, center diff swap, and fluid change.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Workin' on a wagon today. Not mine though.

Broken exhaust on coworkers outback:

All fixed with some booger welds and high temp paint:

Now on to stuff for MY wagon. H6 outback suspension and new sensen struts. I wanted to try sensen to see how fast they blow up and to see how bad "cheap" struts are.

Smells like underpaid workers and melted down fieros.

One.

Done.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Know what gets there today?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

Know what gets there today?

Amazeballs stuff that you sent me that I wont be able to look at until next weekend :|

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Today was center diff day...

Getting the donor:

The original gearbox from my RS.

Blurry service position:

Donor transfer case apart.

Working on getting to the rear plate. Of course the punch is stuck in the linkage after punching out the inner pinch pin.

After using my punch + lady foot prybar + 5lb sledge to get the dowel pins out, I got the old chunk out:

Donor going in:

The case is on and the black RTV is drying. Gear oil is purchased and going in tomorrow. After testing and verifying OK I'll work on suspension.

I also started working on the ujoint for the shifter. 3 out of 4 of the plastic bushings were gone. I had two in my spare bin and picked up some plastic to fit for the last one.

Hopefully it moves and is happy.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Today I buttoned up everything.

Fixed shifter Ujoint:

Shifter is MUCH tighter now.

Then moved on to upper control arms when a friend showed up to help.

Two things I'd like to note. The whiteline bushings for the stock piece cost more than just buying a spec B aluminum one. Also, the bushings blow out and gently caress up the camber in the rear. My wheel looks perfect now alignment wise. Also in the third gens I've ridden in, the back end likes to hop over bumps, I'm thinking it's these bushings that cause it, wont know until I test more. The inners were clearly GONE.

Installing new Spec B arms:

Once that was done we moved on to the new strut install. The rear ends are a pain in the rear end without two people. You put the strut in the top and bolt the top down, then you use a jack on the bottom to move the strut forward/back + up/down until you can line the eyes of the strut and knuckle up.

Outback setup is about an inch taller hardware wise.

The thing is now two inches shorter than my moms ford escape. Definitely taller.

Good news:

Drove it to my apartment. Suspension actually suspensions. Car moves and doesn't bind up.

Bad news:

Grinding sound when I stomp on it hard in first and second. I'm guessing it's the exhaust hitting the driveshaft because I went back to spring bolts on the donut gasket flange and forgot the cat hanger mount. I'm hoping it's something stupid regarding the exhaust or lift and not the actual gearbox.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
3/8" nylon bushings from McMaster are what you should have put in there.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

3/8" nylon bushings from McMaster are what you should have put in there.

Jammed in some plastic from advance auto. Feels great for now.

Don't worry I can put good stuff in when I drop the trans to put in an LGT box :)

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I've almost got 10k miles on my Sensen shocks in my cut spring'd Volvo 740 wagon. I'm amazed since they were only $80 for the whole set. Not blown yet!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My phone died on the way to the shop so no pictures.

Did an oil change on the wagon and it looked okay. First change since I threw the replacement shortblock in.

Skidplate modified to clear the borla headers and installed.

Modified the harbor freight aftermarket lights in the grill by grinding off a layer of plastic so I can point them down. They're not as good as hellas, but they're better than high beams. Still need to be aimed more but whatever they're helpful now.

Also installed some raamat + ensolate crap on the two front doors. Holy. poo poo. So I had a GT sedan previously and the wagon is an L Special Edition package (sunroof). So it's a shitbox with no sound deadening and smaller brakes, but has the sunroof I wanted. The sound deadening install totally made the car feel like my GT and is even better. I will probably end up buying more to do the rest of the car to quiet it down.

Also figured out where the grinding sound is coming from. The exhaust is hitting the trans mount for whatever reason. I need to crank down one of the hanger bolts still, but it isn't the trans making noise after the center diff swap so I don't care. Exhaust also sounds louder and popped a p0420 code. I really don't care because when I have the heat on and not on recirc I don't smell fumes anymore so WHATEVER. I'll deal with it later. Right now we are a go for vermont winter challenge.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Beating on the wagon. No issues. Need to adjust lights.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

It also needs a tint and the JDM roof rails put on ASAP so it doesnt look as dorky.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
Vermont Winter Challenge complete. 12 hours of racing through back roads in Vermont and New Hampshire from 3pm to 3am. Insane amount of snow and ice. The best way to learn co-driving is to be thrown into it, and that sure as hell was a challenge.

Here are some photos from our drive in through NH. Video and write up to come:

We met up with another entrant in NH:

The next morning:

Crappy weather and tons of snow and ice made for one crazy trip. Can't wait to do it again.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d0Dr1lfPkI

Nearly 9 minutes of bad jokes, snow, and subaru noises for you.

We did amazing considering the lack of experience and I built this car out of poo poo I had around my parents place. We lost hilariously points wise but that really wasn't the point I think.

13 hours of amazing driving in the craziest conditions this events ever had. I am sad we will probably never see a winter challenge like this for a LONG time.

It was just as hard as NEFR, but for completely different reasons.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
"This loving sucks, who thought this would be fun"
"I want to go home"
Ha, looks like a good time.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

sharkytm posted:

"This loving sucks, who thought this would be fun"
"I want to go home"
Ha, looks like a good time.

No joke this was right after we drove through some guys farm and automatic lights were turning on and poo poo. I legit thought we were going to get shot.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Scored heated black leather seats today.

The rears and passenger are in. The drivers isn't in yet because its power and the switch only works one way so I need to take it apart and figure out why + strip down the harness to get the heaters working.

Also jumped the wagon today on some dirt road frost heaves.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

That video is awesome, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for putting it together.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

surivdaoreht posted:

That video is awesome, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for putting it together.

Thanks! I'm hoping to spend more time doing fun events and making videos than I am working on my shitboxes this year. That video really sums up the event well. (also hoping to encourage people to buy lovely 800 dollar subarus)

TODAY I DID A THING :gay:

:sissies:

Pulled my friends 170k mile miata motor to do a reseal on it. I think I've got him convinced to go with a turbo 1.8 build and keep the 1.6 as an NA hot spare.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What the hell, no picture of the owner standing in the engine compartment?

This bullshit will not stand, man. You are breaking longstanding traditions here.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

A miata engine and barbie jeep in one picture :3:

And yep, need a pic in the engine bay... I have at least one with every car I've owned... Not sure if that's a good thing or says I should stop owning pieces of poo poo.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Please tell me that drawer is labelled "Sporting balls - Round" and there is another bin for footballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

What the hell, no picture of the owner standing in the engine compartment?

This bullshit will not stand, man. You are breaking longstanding traditions here.

Have you spent a lot of time around Miatas? There's nowhere to stand even once the engine is gone.

That rust sure looks like the master cylinders popped awhile ago. Time for refrigerator paint!

• Locked thread