Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Haven't seen either one. But looking at the description of The Dark Tapes, yea it does seem to fall in to the category I don't typically like. Just too mundane, I like my found footage much more off the wall than that.

Well, I don't want to sell it too hard, because I wasn't wild on it, but the wraparound segment is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

Barbara Crampton really should have been in Beyond the Gates more, when she did show up it looked like she was having fun hamming it up for the role.

I really wanted to like that movie but the pacing was so weird. They're in the middle of this crazy possessed board game where people are dying and they keep taking random breaks to go pack boxes or whatever. A dude's head loving explodes and then the next scene is a casual chat over dinner.

Wildly, WILDLY let down by that movie.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Barbara Crampton really should have been in Beyond the Gates more, when she did show up it looked like she was having fun hamming it up for the role.

I really wanted to like that movie but the pacing was so weird. They're in the middle of this crazy possessed board game where people are dying and they keep taking random breaks to go pack boxes or whatever. A dude's head loving explodes and then the next scene is a casual chat over dinner.

It sort of made me feel like the characters didn't give much a poo poo. So if they didn't, why should I?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Agh I totally forgot about Beyond The Gates. The trailer promised horror Jumanji + Barbara Crampton, instead those were maybe the least utilized things in the movie.

“Horror Jumanji” sounds great until you realize the premise only exists because they couldn’t convince/afford Crampton to do more than sit in front of a camera for a few minutes. Like, if you’re going to base your movie around a board game, how about coming up with some rules for it? The game itself looked like it came off the floor of Bart Simpson’s room in Season 1.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I always forget Beyond the Gates too because it was such a disappointment. My husband walked through the room a few times while it was on, and at one point he stopped to watch one of Barbara Crampton's bits and asked if this was a different, better movie than the one I'd had on before.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That was 2002, so if we're talking this decade, it's out.

Pretty solid candidate for worst 2000s horror, though.

For this decade Green Inferno easily though I know some folks mentioned it already.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I thought I fell asleep during Beyond the Gates, but I was probably awake the whole time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Untrustable posted:

I hope 2 was just a misstep. I think they reached too far, too fast, and got too weird. I hope they can scale it back a bit for 3. At the same time I can't think of any amazing horror threequels off the top of my head except F13 3.

exorcist 3

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Barbara Crampton really should have been in Beyond the Gates more

Barbara Crampton should be in every horror movie more

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Barbara Crampton should be in every horror movie more

Barbara Crampton as the next Freddy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The biggest issue with Beyond the Gates is that 90% of the movie takes place in their boring rear end living room. It's "Two Dudes Sit on the Couch", the movie.

That said, the original discussion was about bad mainstream horror movies and Beyond the Gates is pretty obscure and had a tiny budget.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oh wait. I just remembered the mainstream movie that made me stop going to theaters, Deliver Us From Evil

It was all jump scares until about 30-40 minutes in. Then after that it's a generic exorcism movie mixed with a two super try hard tough guy cops (at one point Joel McHail's character decides to have a knife fight with a bad guy instead of just shooting him).

To top it all off it's based on the "true story" of a guy that makes the Coast To Coast AM and talk radio circuit.

I had blocked it out of my memory again until now.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TheKingslayer posted:

Oh wait. I just remembered the mainstream movie that made me stop going to theaters, Deliver Us From Evil

It was all jump scares until about 30-40 minutes in. Then after that it's a generic exorcism movie mixed with a two super try hard tough guy cops (at one point Joel McHail's character decides to have a knife fight with a bad guy instead of just shooting him).

To top it all off it's based on the "true story" of a guy that makes the Coast To Coast AM and talk radio circuit.

However, googling it might lead you to accidentally discover Don’t Deliver Us From Evil which would be worth it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

However, googling it might lead you to accidentally discover Don’t Deliver Us From Evil which would be worth it

lol horror is the best

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I see two movies called Evidence that both look like FF, is the the 2011 about campers or the 2013 one about a gas station?

As it happens, the 2013 gas station Evidence is one of my favorite slashers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

Barbara Crampton as the next Freddy.

Barbara Crampton as a former final survivor who now tracks and hunts down slashers/super natural creatures/frankensteins and kills them like Dexter.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ruddiger posted:

Barbara Crampton as a former final survivor who now tracks and hunts down slashers/super natural creatures/frankensteins and kills them like Dexter.

this had better be what behind the mask 2 is

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
does anyone know where I can watch One Cut of the Dead? It doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere, I don't have a region free player, and the US blu-ray is over $50...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As it happens, the 2013 gas station Evidence is one of my favorite slashers.

interesting, I'll add that to the list as well

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basebf555 posted:

The biggest issue with Beyond the Gates is that 90% of the movie takes place in their boring rear end living room. It's "Two Dudes Sit on the Couch", the movie.

That said, the original discussion was about bad mainstream horror movies and Beyond the Gates is pretty obscure and had a tiny budget.

Beyond the Gates isn't too bad considering it was made on the cheap and it has an interesting concept, it just doesn't do too much with it. I enjoy it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

does anyone know where I can watch One Cut of the Dead? It doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere, I don't have a region free player, and the US blu-ray is over $50...

shudder at...some point this year

otherwise :filez:

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

deety posted:

I always forget Beyond the Gates too because it was such a disappointment. My husband walked through the room a few times while it was on, and at one point he stopped to watch one of Barbara Crampton's bits and asked if this was a different, better movie than the one I'd had on before.

Man, I get that she's horror royalty, but there was really no reason for her to be in it. It wasn't remotely elevated by her presence. It just seemed needless, not quite stunt casting, but lack of faith in the material.

TheKingslayer posted:

poo poo, I thought this was something else. What's the one with a similar title that has Michael Pena? Base might dig it, it's a sort of nutty FF.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

interesting, I'll add that to the list as well

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3545491/uk-blu-ray-release-one-cut-dead-region-free-might-want-grab/

According to this article the UK blu-ray is region free. I just got one recently but I won’t be able to test it till this weekend if you are interested.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

mikeycp posted:

shudder at...some point this year

otherwise :filez:

Thanks!

Snack Bitch posted:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3545491/uk-blu-ray-release-one-cut-dead-region-free-might-want-grab/

According to this article the UK blu-ray is region free. I just got one recently but I won’t be able to test it till this weekend if you are interested.

Good to know, thanks, although it's still like $30 + tax/shipping which is a bit high for a blind buy.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Good to know, thanks, although it's still like $30 + tax/shipping which is a bit high for a blind buy.

it's absolutely worth it

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mikeycp posted:

it's absolutely worth it

Oh yeah, I am really glad Shudder is going to be streaming it. Such a fun movie from start to finish.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Splint Chesthair posted:

Barbara Crampton as the next Pinhead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If only they'd cast Barbara Crampton in The Mummy instead of Tom Cruise, seems like a no-brainer but you know how these movie execs are

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

mikeycp posted:

exorcist 3

Hell yeah Exorcist 3 is fuckin wild.

On the found footage front I like the "what the hell was that?" kind of stuff. Like Pipes in the background during segments of Ghostwatch. Hell House LLC's clown was scary.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

This thread likes some very bad movies sometimes.

:siren: Los Angeles goons :siren:

Be aware of the following upcoming screenings

Egyptian Theatre
May 16th - Gremlins 2
May 17th - New York Ripper/Nightmares in a Damaged Brain/Driller Killer
May 25th - Godzilla Marathon

Nuart Theatre
May 10th - Shocker
May 17th - Hausu
May 24th - Vertigo

New Beverly Cinema
Throughout May - The Love Witch
May 3rd/4th - Near Dark/Jennifer's Body
May 14th - The Being/Blood Diner
May 17th - Grindhouse
May 24th - Full Tilt Boogie

Vista Theatre
May 3rd - Manhunter
May 4th - Lost Highway

Aero Theatre
May 24th - The Thing/Starman

Dynasty Typewriter
June 14th - Shakma

e: added a couple screenings for the Vista, the Aero, and the Dynasty Typewriter.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 3, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I wish I lived near places that had screenings like that. I have family in LA, would it be weird to visit just to see Gremlins 2 and Hausu in a theater?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

gently caress real tempted to make the drive in to la to see hausu

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Near Dark/Jennifer's Body is an interesting combination.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just went to a pitch meeting of sorts for my idea for a haunted house and it seems very likely to happen. I need to create a more detailed budget estimate and there's some contractual stuff to sort out but they were very into it.

Though it probably helps that the potential venue is in the place where my wife works and where I've occasionally worked so it's not like I'm some rando off the street.

Basically they're moving their offices to another part of the park and I'm suggesting using the current office, which won't be used for anything but storage once they move, as the haunted house, with some modifications of course.

I've already made a few of the props and made a rough plan of the layout and various scares.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I just went to a pitch meeting of sorts for my idea for a haunted house and it seems very likely to happen. I need to create a more detailed budget estimate and there's some contractual stuff to sort out but they were very into it.

Though it probably helps that the potential venue is in the place where my wife works and where I've occasionally worked so it's not like I'm some rando off the street.

Basically they're moving their offices to another part of the park and I'm suggesting using the current office, which won't be used for anything but storage once they move, as the haunted house, with some modifications of course.

I've already made a few of the props and made a rough plan of the layout and various scares.

Add Scarecrows and I'll put you in my will.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I wish I lived near places that had screenings like that. I have family in LA, would it be weird to visit just to see Gremlins 2 and Hausu in a theater?

If you live near any mid-sized city, I'd encourage you to double check that there aren't any nearby indie theaters that show cult classics. I'm in the triangle area of NC, which hardly has LA's variety of entertainment, but in the next few months we're getting Tenebrae, I Drink Your Blood, Pieces, and double features like Sisters/Body Double and Prince of Darkness/In the Mouths of Madness. One of the local theaters has been running old horror movies once a month for 20+ years, and I still sometimes meet locals who haven't heard that's a thing around here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm interesting in going to this, but good jesus, has anyone done a giant marathon like this? I'm going to assume everyone is mostly asleep half way through.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One goon did, the quips were on point, and the tension was nigh unbearable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm interesting in going to this, but good jesus, has anyone done a giant marathon like this? I'm going to assume everyone is mostly asleep half way through.

I've gone to a couple of the dusk til dawn marathons at the New Bev with no issues of falling asleep and they're about the same length (6 movies). The Godzilla marathon also at least starts at 1pm, so as long as you get a good night's sleep the night before, you should be good to make it through them. Pretty sure they allow ins and outs too, so you can take a break and grab some food or a beer or something between movies.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The premise sounded good but they dropped the ball on the execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, Godzilla's Revenge sucks, so that's almost like a built-in break.

e: Like, they're kind of lying when they say Megalon is the most maligned Showa movie. A lot of people love Megalon, especially since the MST3K episode. Godzilla's Revenge, however, is literally just a clip show, and is especially pointless when they're showing Destroy All Monsters (one of the movies it cribs footage from) immediately before.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 3, 2019