Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's bullshit, that's what. 24 damage a turn is absolutely nonsense in act 2, only made worse by the fact that he debuffs your block. It's maybe the most bullshit hallway fight in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

reptilians posted:

I got this on iOS a couple days ago and finally got a win. I wanted a block/body slam deck but ended up with a strength building deck instead. I have trouble strategizing at any fights involving minions (like those gremlin guys)

Grats! Looks like you learned an important STS lesson: work with the cards you get, not the ones you want.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I tried to do the sub-20 ironclad achievement, played as quickly as I absolutely could (to the point it felt like I was barely playing the game) and still couldn't come close to doing it. I'm still in disbelief of the poster who said their runs were 25 minutes on average.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Wave posted:

I tried to do the sub-20 ironclad achievement, played as quickly as I absolutely could (to the point it felt like I was barely playing the game) and still couldn't come close to doing it. I'm still in disbelief of the poster who said their runs were 25 minutes on average.

Easy to average 25 minutes when you die in Act 2! :v:

Seriously, now. It will be slower on a touchscreen if you're on iOS. You should turn on faster animations, it really makes a difference. You should be aiming to take as many ? rooms as possible - at least, once you don't have to read them - and take a cash or rare card reward from Neow so you can pick up strong cards without fighting. It's also one of the few achievements that is easier on A0 than A1, because you want to avoid elites.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Of all the bullshit hallway fights I hate jaw worm horde the most. At least 8x3 plant and mushroom+avocado have the decency to show up before you have invested too much time in the run to ruin your day, but dying on turn 1 on floor 50 or so is extremely frustrating.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

KonvexKonkav posted:

Of all the bullshit hallway fights I hate jaw worm horde the most. At least 8x3 plant and mushroom+avocado have the decency to show up before you have invested too much time in the run to ruin your day, but dying on turn 1 on floor 50 or so is extremely frustrating.

Look homie if you're 3 floors away from Shield + Spear you better have made sure you have a decent t1 & t2 :v: .

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Well, not as useful now that I spend most of my days at home but still got the iOS version :woop:
Now to grind every class to A20

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a good defect guide out there? It would be helpful just to see how people think through playing him.

Also, I’ve been playing a bunch of silent, but am really only getting it to work with one or two play styles, mostly centered around noxious fumes and building a bunch of block. I’ve won only once without noxious fumes by using caltrops & a bunch of general good cards which let me cycle through my deck really fast, but that’s a huge exception to the rule.

Different builds like a deck centered around Shivs, a thousand cuts, or phantasmal killer seem cool, but I just can’t figure them out. Is there anything to read or tips for trying to make these work?

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Phantasmal Killer and Thousand Cuts are generally pretty niche. Thousand Cuts can work ok with shivs, but generally the deck that relies on that is not going to climb too high in ascensions.

The main rule of a good shiv deck is that you don't want things that make shivs better, you want things that are made better by shivs - After Image, Kunai and the other ninja relics. Occasionally you can get something like Thousand Cuts or Envenom to work, but it's rare. You are probably going to need something in addition to shivs to win.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

tildes posted:

Is there a good defect guide out there?

:orb:

What is the iOS port like? I've read some poor reviews

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

KonvexKonkav posted:

I haven't had a winning run where I had 21 cards or less tbh. Most of the time I end up between 25 and 30 cards.

I just got a big win on ASC 18 Ironclad with fuckin 45 cards. Go big or go home.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

mik posted:

It’s slow. Animations (such as they are) stutter.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I'm frozen in permanent paralysis trying to decide if I should take a second wraith form, without orange pellets.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Yes you should

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

If you are subsequently offered a third wraith form, take that too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a fourth too

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If anything the 2nd wraith form is even more of a no-brainer than the 1st. 6 turns after you pop your first Wraith Form you're at -6 dex anyhow and aren't going to be getting anything out of block cards, you might as well be invincible for those 6 turns

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

mik posted:

It’s the same game just shrunk down. So text and UI is not great. It also crashes fairly often. But that said, it is StS on a phone. I’d appreciate it more post some bug fixes and once I have to commute again.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Phantasmal Killer and Thousand Cuts are generally pretty niche. Thousand Cuts can work ok with shivs, but generally the deck that relies on that is not going to climb too high in ascensions.

The main rule of a good shiv deck is that you don't want things that make shivs better, you want things that are made better by shivs - After Image, Kunai and the other ninja relics. Occasionally you can get something like Thousand Cuts or Envenom to work, but it's rare. You are probably going to need something in addition to shivs to win.

Hm maybe I should not really be going for that to begin with it sounds like. Also it seems very hard to beat the guy with the 12 card “ends your turn and increases strength” mechanic? In general that dude seems like he really hurts certain types of decks.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I took tools of the trade instead :negative:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

Hm maybe I should not really be going for that to begin with it sounds like. Also it seems very hard to beat the guy with the 12 card “ends your turn and increases strength” mechanic? In general that dude seems like he really hurts certain types of decks.

You really need to have some kind of scaling that really rewards card spam if you want to keep up, e.g. shuriken/kunai. If you don't have some way to get exponential rewards out of playing lots of cards, you really need to spend act 3 diversifying away from playing lots of cards if that's your deck.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Beamed posted:

I took tools of the trade instead :negative:

You done hosed up, boy.

Wraithform is a powerhouse in acts 2, 3, and 4. Upgrade it and it takes care of all blocking for 3 turns, giving you 4 turns to finish up a fight with very low risk. Or play more intangible stacks.

Act 1 is going to be mostly fine with basic defend cards to stay alive, plus your deck is going to be too lovely to win with just 2 turns of intangible. But as you get higher in the spire, the amount you need to block increases while your deck gains the offensive power to close out fights quickly when you don't need to spend energy on defense. This is the same reason Corruption is so good. Being able to spend all your energy on winning instead of spending on staying alive while winning is very strong strategy.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Just got my first ascension win (though it does seem like A2 is when it starts getting harder, instead of easier, than A0)! I am fairly sure corpse explosion is not a super good card, but I wanted to take one of my boss rewards. However, it becomes good when donu and deca are your act 3 boss. So much easier when you just have to burst one of them.

Straight White Shark posted:

You really need to have some kind of scaling that really rewards card spam if you want to keep up, e.g. shuriken/kunai. If you don't have some way to get exponential rewards out of playing lots of cards, you really need to spend act 3 diversifying away from playing lots of cards if that's your deck.
OIC- so it seems like it’s more something you’d do if you randomly get some very specific relics, and otherwise never really choose?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

jetz0r posted:

You done hosed up, boy.

Wraithform is a powerhouse in acts 2, 3, and 4. Upgrade it and it takes care of all blocking for 3 turns, giving you 4 turns to finish up a fight with very low risk. Or play more intangible stacks.

Act 1 is going to be mostly fine with basic defend cards to stay alive, plus your deck is going to be too lovely to win with just 2 turns of intangible. But as you get higher in the spire, the amount you need to block increases while your deck gains the offensive power to close out fights quickly when you don't need to spend energy on defense. This is the same reason Corruption is so good. Being able to spend all your energy on winning instead of spending on staying alive while winning is very strong strategy.

I always take the first one. But a second or third I feel are increasingly burdens, because it gives you free hallway fights, but, well, when you're dumping 3 energy into it for a third of 9 turns, the boss/elite you're fighting will have 58 damage on that 10th turn.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tildes posted:

Just got my first ascension win (though it does seem like A2 is when it starts getting harder, instead of easier, than A0)! I am fairly sure corpse explosion is not a super good card, but I wanted to take one of my boss rewards. However, it becomes good when donu and deca are your act 3 boss. So much easier when you just have to burst one of them.

Corpse explosion is a very good card

tildes posted:

OIC- so it seems like it’s more something you’d do if you randomly get some very specific relics, and otherwise never really choose?

That's how you should play StS in general if you want to win.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Beamed posted:

I always take the first one. But a second or third I feel are increasingly burdens, because it gives you free hallway fights, but, well, when you're dumping 3 energy into it for a third of 9 turns, the boss/elite you're fighting will have 58 damage on that 10th turn.

You should always take the second and third one too. Wraith from is insanely busted and just becomes better in multiples.

If you can't finish off a boss in 2-3 wraith forms you most likely have garbage scaling, in which case you are probably losing the run anyway. You don't need to slam play the wraith form immediately every combat either if the boss is something that isn't particularly dangerous early on like the champ.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

tildes posted:

Corpse explosion is amazing. It makes so many act 2 & 3 fights trivial.

Dipping a toe into shivs is fine, Cloak and Dagger is a solid act 1 card that shouldn't be dismissed. However, going all-in on shivs without support is foolish because they don't scale up on their own. You need extra str or other rewards for playing lots of free low damage attacks. Like cloak and dagger blocking for 6 and attacking for 4 is great against some slimes, but is awful against reptomancer. Boost your str a bit, and you can be getting 20+ damage out of C&D, which is enough to keep pace with reptomancer.

Poison is easier to put together because the poison cards are mostly good enough by themselves, it doesn't need any relics, and there's only 1 good support card (Catalyst). Catalyst doesn't even require a deep commitment to poison to be worth taking, either.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Wraith Form is so good that I hate when it comes up, because it makes the game less interesting.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Beamed posted:

If you can't win in 10 turns of intangible, how the gently caress did your deck get that far?

You don't need to play the wraithform asap, but once you have 2 in your deck, your plan for every longer fight becomes "get into position to win during my 6 turns of intangible". The longer you can stay in intangible, the looser your setup requirements become. Dealing 150 in 6 turns is easier than dealing 150 in 3 turns. Boss patterns also mean that you should (mostly) know what the boss is going to be doing on the turn you leave wraithform, for those times when it's being used as normal block card.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have regretted it every time I've taken Wraith Form, I know the consensus is that it rules but I hate that card.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same

i mean i still take it and use it successfully but i hate it. it's a lot of energy!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

tildes posted:

One big part of STS strategy is not to pick cards or relics in a vacuum. This is why people say things like "prioritise damage early in Act 1", because the Act 1 elites are mostly damage checks, so you need to focus on that part of your deck to survive them. The same applies with bosses - as soon as you start a new act you should see which boss it is and make your choices with that in mind. (It's also why card tier lists or sites like spirelogs.com can only ever be vague guides - your choices should be guided by what your deck already does and what it needs to do in the next few fights).

You can definitely beat Time Eater with Shiv decks, but you'll have an easier time if you take some other cards as soon as you see you're going to be facing him. Cards with high mana costs are a good bet, since they only take one action to play but are as powerful (or more powerful) than the same number of one-cost cards. Powers are generally good against Time Eater because they provide an ongoing benefit for a single action.

For the Silent specifically Caltrops can be good. The damage it does is unaffected by the Weaken he applies, for one thing. His most common attack uses three separate hits, meaning it triggers three times. You could easily end up doing 60 damage with a single upgraded Caltrops over the course of the fight, which is not bad for one energy. If you're really all-in on Shivs then Accuracy is a big boost to their damage. Envenom can be good too. Footwork is amazing in all circumstances, etc.

Also because his most common attack is three mid-sized hits he's disproportionately affected by things like Malaise or Piercing Wail.

The other bit of more generic advice is to be mindful of the 12-card thing when you're planning your turn. You don't want to leave him with 11 stacks at the end of a turn if you can avoid it because then you can only play a single card next time. It can often be worth not playing low-impact cards at all if it means you can have a better turn next time, or avoid buffing his strength right before an attack.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 16, 2020

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

I have regretted it every time I've taken Wraith Form, I know the consensus is that it rules but I hate that card.

Are you upgrading it immediately? After taking an unupgraded Wraith Form, the right move at the next campfire 90%+ of the time is to upgrade it.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Game runs fine on my SE, no crashes. Not the best phone to play, the screen is a bit small but it's great to pass the time.

Also, people complaining about it being slow, there's an option for fast mode and to disable particles. The only way this could be better is if I was able to seamlessly continue a phone game on my PC and vice versa

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ahh...this elite is so strong! Searing Blow isn't upgraded enough! I have to do it...Searing Blow +12! I hope my deck can take the strain!

(Actually wins easily, best gimmicky deck I've played in a while)

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 16, 2020

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just beat Awakened One with Silent by using a strategy I had never thought of: Nightmare into Malaise. In his second form he had -13 strength and was routinely hitting for 0x3.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Inspired by Jorbs recent Over-explain, I've been trying some Prismatic runs - custom games with all color card choices enabled. I've managed to win with Ironclad using a Juggernaut/After Image deck, and with Silent using typical poison and intangible shenanigans, but I can barely get out of Act 1 with Defect. It might just be the higher variance, or it could be that Zap and Dualcast are basically curses without reliable Defect support cards. Or I still haven't figured out how to play. So far my best strategy seems to be the same as for Watcher runs - get Watcher cards because they are good.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Ahh...this elite is so strong! Searing Blow isn't upgraded enough! I have to do it...Searing Blow +12! I hope my deck can take the strain!

(Actually wins easily, best gimmicky deck I've played in a while)

You're not alone!

https://youtu.be/JY4fe-jQEyA

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Zephro posted:

One big part of STS strategy is not to pick cards or relics in a vacuum. ...

Thank you this is quite helpful! I actually didn’t realize the image on the map corresponded to the boss, I just thought you had to be ready for every possible boss ><

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

tildes posted:

I just thought you had to be ready for every possible boss ><

As an aside, on Ascension 20 (the hardest difficulty level), you have to be prepared for any boss in Act 3, as you will fight two bosses, and only know which boss the first one will be. That's many hours away, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tildes posted:

Thank you this is quite helpful! I actually didn’t realize the image on the map corresponded to the boss, I just thought you had to be ready for every possible boss ><

I remember the days when you didn't know what boss you would be facing. Now that was rough.