Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

business hammocks posted:

Jenny Nicholson gets my attention because her irony shield is so perfect. She might (might) be the first web 2.0 native to do this poo poo and gives off this slight hint of suppressed menace at all times, like she’d loving eat you alive and is just choosing to have a good time at any particular moment. Like, it’s hard to describe, but I really wouldn’t want to mess with her. I can’t really describe it, but it might peel off some of the chuds.

"Eat you alive" is a little extreme, but I get the sense of what you mean just from my recollection of a few episodes of Milennial Falcon. I don't think it ever comes off as genuinely hateful, but she uses that awkward energy against others sometimes. There was the episode where she went to a convention and asked a bunch of nerds Star Wars trivia questions and then something like who their state representative was. You can probably guess how that went.

She always seems to have a great deal of self awareness in the triviality of nerd culture. She was in a couple "debate" videos for screen junkies and while plenty of the other contestants would do it with a relatively straight face, she seemed to be the one that really understood that this stuff is supposed to be about having fun. Everyone else when asked to give their pitch for a movie would give a relatively grounded one and then Jenny Nicholson would propose a Christmas Jurassic Park movie with John Goodman as Santa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol that somehow you try to make a joke but just look massively racist.

I will respect the boundaries you have on who is white, 'non-white' and 'swarthy'. Sorry!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MariusLecter posted:

I will respect the boundaries you have on who is white, 'non-white' and 'swarthy'. Sorry!

Stop calling him Swarthy Jesus.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You'd think on the internet, a place with no shortage of coming up with names for things, can manage something better then calling a latino "white" because of his job.

Chud, cuck, incel, I learned all kinds of new words thanks to this thread. But successful youtuber? White.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I slept on Vampire Reviews including her Bunnicula and True Blood S2 episodes.

I am ashamed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh man, I can’t wait to see that Bunnicula review.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Conal Cochran posted:

"Eat you alive" is a little extreme, but I get the sense of what you mean just from my recollection of a few episodes of Milennial Falcon. I don't think it ever comes off as genuinely hateful, but she uses that awkward energy against others sometimes. There was the episode where she went to a convention and asked a bunch of nerds Star Wars trivia questions and then something like who their state representative was. You can probably guess how that went.

She always seems to have a great deal of self awareness in the triviality of nerd culture. She was in a couple "debate" videos for screen junkies and while plenty of the other contestants would do it with a relatively straight face, she seemed to be the one that really understood that this stuff is supposed to be about having fun. Everyone else when asked to give their pitch for a movie would give a relatively grounded one and then Jenny Nicholson would propose a Christmas Jurassic Park movie with John Goodman as Santa.

I take back what I said about her irony being total—she’s completely sincere whenever she talks about theme parks.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CharlestheHammer posted:

Stop calling him Swarthy Jesus.

Terrible Opinions posted:

In what world does Joe look white? Is this that thing where south Italians are white supremacists, despite being swarthy enough that any Texan would call them Arabs?

e;
To be clear, this is the 'genius' and I thought you were defending the use of 'swarthy' by this guy.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 22, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah I'll cop to being dumb. I just don't see how there is any useful definition of white in America beyond "will the cops harass you for no reason because of how you look? Will you get turned down for jobs you are qualified for because of how you look? Will your life be more difficult because of the color of your skin?" If the answer to all of those is "yes" then you are not white.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I've liked CD for a long time. Of course he gets called "smug" a lot or criticized for having a youtube character - which has changed a bit throughout his tenure. One of his videos on a talk he had at the skeptics conference was basically an apology for some of his past mistakes in online behavior. But I think he's now more important than ever. I was caught up in some of the videos he debunked when I was younger because I didn't understand the lengths people would go to fool others with a youtube video.

One of the best videos he ever did, that really stuck with me, was The Undebunkable. The speech at the end really hit home, especially with all that's going on nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWy1qmMoToM

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: You Are (Not) White

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: Blame it on the Boo- Oh wait guess it doesn't work this time never mind.

Anyway Cinema Nippon started a long term project looking at Miyazaki's films, and if you're familiar with youtube reviews of Studio Ghibli, you can see were that was going. Short while later both videos were removed. But unlike another internet critic whose name I'm blanking on, whom published a rather long and grating complaint vlog about the studio being stupid, they've uploaded a very short announcement vid calmly explaining the issue and have redone the videos using purely promotional material. Which may or may not work, I remember RLM still had videos flagged by a studio for using its own trailers, but hopefully does.
The announce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBeE6sJYnh4

Nausicaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI5Um_-GKTw

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: You Will Never Become White

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: You Are (Not) White

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

Are we still hating Fantano?

Fantano had a second "comedy" channel where he peddled some pretty poo poo alt right memes

Then when he got caught he tried to play the "I was just meming!" card that so many of he fellow travellers like to use when called out

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if critikal gets put in the bin for having those people on his podcast, fantano gets put in the bin for having Sargon of Akkad on his

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I should've done Become Human White! That would've made the David Cage joke much more clear.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I should've done Become Human White! That would've made the David Cage joke much more clear.

There's your problem, trying to toss away the current Eva joke instead of working with it

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Alaois posted:

if critikal gets put in the bin for having those people on his podcast, fantano gets put in the bin for having Sargon of Akkad on his

Not even getting into the fact he had confirmed alt right shitlord sam hyde on it as well

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

Not even getting into the fact he had confirmed alt right shitlord sam hyde on it as well

lmao i forgot about Sam Hyde, jesus

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

I slept on Vampire Reviews including her Bunnicula and True Blood S2 episodes.

I am ashamed.

I'm just disappointed that her Subspecies review didn't have a Lupa cameo :(

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Since we have adequately covered videogames and whiteness, it is a good opportunity to indulge the third passion of the gooniest goons: SUPERFLUOUS WORLD BUILDING.

World Building Notes!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCncTjqw75krp9j_wRRh5Gvw

Normally I despise world building since I usually see it as a shorthand for lazy character development.

However this gets props from me for

1.) Several videos done entirely in Lojban.
2.) Soothing cadence of voice.
3.) Focusing on aspects of society that I typically don't see considered in "building worlds".
3.) Multiple digressions to discuss the history of anthropological theory.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd_YNMEZndA
May released a coming out video

Also from way back when there was a discussion on trying to avoid characters with special destines/chosen one tropes; I kind of like how Brutal Legend kind of turned that concept on its head a little bit, Eddie Riggs is a chosen one and the main character, but he's not one to actually take center stage for it all which I appreciate.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 22, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd_YNMEZndA
May released a coming out video

Also from way back when there was a discussion on trying to avoid characters with special destines/chosen one tropes; I kind of like how Brutal Legend kind of turned that concept on its head a little bit, Eddie Riggs is a chosen one and the main character, but he's not one to actually take center stage for it all which I appreciate.

I want that hat.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm in the UK where we don't really have Latino people (aside from tourists, the odd immigrant, students, or actual spanish people), and it was super obivous that Joe Vargas isn't white. The only thing I don't get about Joe is that Superman logo and jacket combo - I get it's like an outfit he wears when he's 'in character' as Angry Joe, but it seems an odd choice, but I honestly prefer it when Joe is out of character and just being himself anyway.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I live in Ireland and I absolutely wouldn't be able to tell that Joe wasn't from southern Europe or such which is pretty common here.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hey it turns out that whiteness depends on context and sometimes people will be considered "white" in one setting or with one group of people and not elsewhere, because it's a squishy social construct with no actual objectivity to it how is that hard to get?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh boy, this is, uh, quite the video from digibro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV3cVq_MuOQ

so, um, crunchyroll isn't a very big company and doesn't have the time nor manpower to redo the subtitles for every single episode where they made a typo, nor is there any profit incentive for them to do so
also, crunchyroll didn't ruin JoJo. they're also not the only nor even the first ones to change the names in that series to avoid potential lawsuits, because copyright law is a minefield that heavily favors the claimant
also, "tumblr the anime"

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 23, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

OldMemes posted:

I'm in the UK where we don't really have Latino people (aside from tourists, the odd immigrant, students, or actual spanish people), and it was super obivous that Joe Vargas isn't white. The only thing I don't get about Joe is that Superman logo and jacket combo - I get it's like an outfit he wears when he's 'in character' as Angry Joe, but it seems an odd choice, but I honestly prefer it when Joe is out of character and just being himself anyway.

He really likes Superman.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

so, um, crunchyroll isn't a very big company and doesn't have the time nor manpower to redo the subtitles for every single episode where they made a typo, nor is there any profit incentive for them to do so
also, crunchyroll didn't ruin JoJo. they're also not the only nor even the first ones to change the names in that series to avoid potential lawsuits, because copyright law is a minefield that heavily favors the claimant
also, "tumblr the anime"

I love when anime 'fans' bitch about JoJo because A) in this exact context you still have fuckin characters shouting "KILLAH QUEEN" in the actual video so it really doesn't mean anything if the subs say 'Deadly Queen', and B) most of the JoJo fans I gently caress with think the hilarious copyright avoidance filed off names that are similar enough to the real name without loving them over translators have to come up with are half the charm.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Augus posted:

also, "tumblr the anime"

Apart from Digibro being...uh, Digibro, I know CrunchyRoll is frowned upon by some, and has been prior to this new debacle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Who hates Crunchyroll they aren’t perfect but that is a type of weeb I’ve never seen. Unless they are just pissy because the subs are t perfect always.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who hates Crunchyroll they aren’t perfect but that is a type of weeb I’ve never seen. Unless they are just pissy because the subs are t perfect always.

I don't know anyone who HATES them but they do the typical underpaying/overworking people that comes up in basically any translation heavy business unfortunately and whenever those stories pop up we all just kinda go 'yep...that is not cool, dick move guys' and keep using them because, well, it's this or gambling with FreeAnime.ru or whatever again.

Basically in this capitalist hellhole you shouldn't LIKE any corporation but yea I've not met many people who HATE it other than weebs who say that the one time they wrote 'than' instead of 'then' in a sub they basically ruined the entire series.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I love when anime 'fans' bitch about JoJo because A) in this exact context you still have fuckin characters shouting "KILLAH QUEEN" in the actual video so it really doesn't mean anything if the subs say 'Deadly Queen', and B) most of the JoJo fans I gently caress with think the hilarious copyright avoidance filed off names that are similar enough to the real name without loving them over translators have to come up with are half the charm.

can't wait for them to get to Filthy Acts Performed at a Significant Discount

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CYBEReris posted:

Turning "Boy 2 Man" to "BoyManMan" was genuinely a genius move that translator should have been given a raise for and the idea it makes some dorkus angry fills me with pity

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Crunchyroll sucks but not because "abloobloo tamblr" or whatever. There's the mentioned above bad treatment, sometimes their subs are really off base, their selection sucked like every time I tried looking, was organized badly last time I tried as well, that and it's pretty ehhhh that they buy off more than a few animu reviewers to push their service.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CYBEReris posted:

Or Flaccid Biscuit

sexpig by night posted:

Turning "Boy 2 Man" to "BoyManMan" was genuinely a genius move that translator should have been given a raise for and the idea it makes some dorkus angry fills me with pity
Or Dan of Steel

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea they need a rehaul of their site real bad because boy is their organization terrible.

Would you like newly upadted anime, popular anime, or LITERALLY EVERYTHING WE HAVE BY ALPHABETICAL LISTING, go gently caress yourself otherwise.

I do think they've stepped their sub game up a lot since they started, though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I don't know anyone who HATES them but they do the typical underpaying/overworking people that comes up in basically any translation heavy business unfortunately and whenever those stories pop up we all just kinda go 'yep...that is not cool, dick move guys' and keep using them because, well, it's this or gambling with FreeAnime.ru or whatever again.

I remember there was some minor kerfuffle a while ago in regards to them and piracy sites, but I don't remember what the details were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If your mad about overworking then I got some bad news about [insert company here]