Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mantle posted:

I loved this thing, you wear it around your neck with a lanyard.

lol i never did that, but yeah it was a great phone. lasted like 2 days on one charge with normal use, it was metal (rare for a phone back then), small and light, you could text on it, and it had an outer screen that was actually useful

i was so pissed that i had to stop using mine because verizon turned off their AMPS network. it was a digital phone too! who cares

e: plus it just looked pro as gently caress

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
when they really really tried to market resolution with abbreviations, which worked extremely well can you tell me what wuxga+ is vs sxga

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

calling 2560x1440 "2k" no it absolutely is not

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i remember briefly seeing that before everyone said yeah literally nobody in the real world calls 1440p "2K"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"2k" is fine, sure whatever

Also, for computer displays it's the best resolution. 4k is wasted unless you're one of those freaks that uses a 40" 4k tv as a computer monitor. do not at me

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
voxel graphics were real treats for the eyes when done right.

those terrible paintball shooter games using the duke nukem engine.

anyone else remember when Dreamcast used powervr, only rendering what was visible to the camera and saving processing power for its hitachi risc chip?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

high refresh rate is much more important than high resolution.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Wild EEPROM posted:

calling 2560x1440 "2k" no it absolutely is not

it's commonly referred to as "2.5K" for rough homage to the DCI formats, it's prolly the best descriptor we have these days. 2k, 2.5k, 4k, that's easy to understand.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Sagebrush posted:

accurate color/contrast > high refresh > resolution of the panel

everyone knows this

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Wild EEPROM posted:

when they really really tried to market resolution with abbreviations, which worked extremely well can you tell me what wuxga+ is vs sxga

I assume it’s just some dude on Wikipedia coming up with WXUFGA+ for 8k or whatever.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

when i got my 165hz monitor the entire gaming world changed and i can never go back

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

when i got my 165hz monitor the entire gaming world changed and i can never go back

it's way better for graphics applications too. and also just in general

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i recently saved our office from getting a bunch of 4k 60hz monitors with built in netflix.

some engineer recommended the goofy things and operations was on the verge of buying them til i stepped in and changed the order to these beasts: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6Q71X58/ref=twister_B0BMQ8FCRY

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

calling it "2k" is not fine, it's not at all 2k. if you said "1080p" should be called "2k" then i would reluctently agree, but not 2560.
2.5k for 2560? okay fine.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

gently caress curved monitors too they're stupid

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

stupidly amazing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Wild EEPROM posted:

WUXGA ... its name is a killing word ...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

gently caress curved monitors too they're stupid

a slight curve on an ultrawide is a good thing because it counteracts the illusion of the corners falling away from you that you get with something that wide. compare to how people tilt dual monitors slightly towards each other. it's not noticeable as a curve after like an hour of use anyway.

curved 16:9 displays are dumb poo poo.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

i deal with a ton of straight lines so a curved monitor is completely out of the question.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

think about it for a minute and you'll realize why this is not actually a problem

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i prefer a more hyperbolic curve on my monitor, and my posting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

think about it for a minute and you'll realize why this is not actually a problem

because they're all actually geodesics?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oldjob gave me a 15” laptop with a 4k screen and it was so loving stupid, buncha programs without dpi scaling were just impossible to use. ssms being a major culprit

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

maybe if you're perfectly on axis with it, but yes it actually is a problem

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

maybe if you're perfectly on axis with it, but yes it actually is a problem

1) it's extremely subtle and horizontal lines don't actually appear curved

2) your brain accommodates for it rapidly, just as it does for the curved projection of every straight line you've ever seen on your retina

3) it's a computer. you have tools to tell you if a line is straight. you don't need to eyeball it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

curved monitors are stupid

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

you keep banging on this and i disagree. i tried a 144hz monitor and i’d much rather have higher resolution. a 5k display that allows for apparent doubling of a 1440p display window is much more valuable to me.

it’s not that i don’t notice the increased refresh rate, it’s just less important than the razor sharp text. obviously if i could get both features in one monitor i would take it.

imo curved monitors are cool and good on ultrawides; on anything less, ehhhhh

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

A Bad King posted:

those terrible paintball shooter games using the duke nukem engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw5Ya2IdDKU

quote:

The tracks were composed by Todd Duane. From what I read, he gave Head (Games) a CD with some random demos, which doesn't surprise me in the least. Looking him up, he's not bad, it's just this collection of what-the-gently caress ear drill crap that's awful.

The Build engine is interesting not only because it was basically made by a teenager who was mostly working on his own, without much understanding how such a project should be directed, but also it was weirdly prolific in a various odd projects, like said paintball game, a duology of jingoistic war games made by a right-wing shithead, a pirate-themed FPS made by the same fuckhead, an ambitious quasi-religious game that was never finished, another duo of war games made by teenagers from Scandinavia, that was sold in stores and finally a very neat and stylish vaporwave walking simulator that used to be on Steam before the publisher got banned for scamming Valve

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

two tablespoons of nutmeg did make me sick and feverish and lightheaded for about 48 hours, so there's definitely something there
I cannot see nutmeg without thinking "you know, like Malcolm X got high on in prison!" in Captain Murphy's voice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mediaphage posted:

you keep banging on this and i disagree. i tried a 144hz monitor and i’d much rather have higher resolution. a 5k display that allows for apparent doubling of a 1440p display window is much more valuable to me.

it’s not that i don’t notice the increased refresh rate, it’s just less important than the razor sharp text. obviously if i could get both features in one monitor i would take it.

No, my use case is the right one.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
mediaphage is right, resolution is more important

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

color accuracy is the most important like imagine buying a loving va panel (or worse a tn panel) in 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

do they even make tn panels anymore?

there are still quite a few va panels out there because they go hand in hand with high refresh rate for some reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

mediaphage is right, resolution is more important

absolutely not. this is correct:

A Bad King posted:

accurate color/contrast > high refresh > resolution of the panel

having the color be off or shift as you move around is completely unacceptable, which is why you need to only buy ips or oled.

after that, you need at least 120hz refresh rate so moving objects don't feel crunchy.

if you have both of those, sure go nuts with high resolution, but it's the least important.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
nah as a photo/video editor i gotta disagree,

for me i'd say it goes more like

color accuracy > resolution > refresh rate (preferably at least 120 hz, yes)

but to each their own

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

depends on the use case. for gaming, color accuracy isn’t super critical. if you’re color grading in premiere or something, then yeah, you need the accuracy

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
what if I'm checking my email in emacs?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
that should be on an old 14" monochrome crt like god intended

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i have a giant 44" 4k tv i bought at costco for $250 or some ridiculously low figure and the text rendering is garbage but idgaf because the characters are 1/2" tall and i have enough room to put three copies of my IDE side by side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have a 12" 4k laptop with an oled and the text rendering is incredible