Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What was incomplete about Sun and Moon? They were pretty good and well received Pokemon games I feel? I don't understand this new narrative that Gamefreak has been in freefall for a decade and that Gen VII was worse than Gen VI and Gen VIII is continuing the trend. Like in what world was S/M more rushed than X and Y?

Yeah, Sun and Moon were perfectly fine and in fact a lot better than XY. Ultra Sun and Moon on the other hand changed and added very little to the base game, so I guess that's where people are misremembering Gen VII as bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's crazy people think that, USUM changed the most out of any third version in the series. But that's because it's a pretty low bar to clear since third versions tend to really not change a huge amount, usually improving on the technical aspect, or moving things around like item placement or Pokemon distribution for the better.

The main problem USUM had was being released ONE YEAR after the previous games and burned people super quickly. Not to mention it was a double third version for no real reason and didn't have as many Ultra Changes as people were expecting. Especially since it seemed third versions had gone out of favour, either being replaced by sequels in B2W2, or boldly saying that a game like XY were perfect as is and required no improvements in the slightest, so it came as a nasty surprise since we thought we could buy SM in full confidence that it wouldn't be immediately replaced one year later. After all, it's been around 10 years since the previous third version in Platinum.

But like all third versions, the improvements and changes they make are for the better so there's no reason to ever go back to the previous games. I really dislike third versions, but USUM are some of the best games in the series, I'll probably never touch SM again, they're just inferior games and that's always a shame.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Crosspeice posted:

It's crazy people think that, USUM changed the most out of any third version in the series. But that's because it's a pretty low bar to clear since third versions tend to really not change a huge amount, usually improving on the technical aspect, or moving things around like item placement or Pokemon distribution for the better.

The main problem USUM had was being released ONE YEAR after the previous games and burned people super quickly. Not to mention it was a double third version for no real reason and didn't have as many Ultra Changes as people were expecting. Especially since it seemed third versions had gone out of favour, either being replaced by sequels in B2W2, or boldly saying that a game like XY were perfect as is and required no improvements in the slightest, so it came as a nasty surprise since we thought we could buy SM in full confidence that it wouldn't be immediately replaced one year later. After all, it's been around 10 years since the previous third version in Platinum.

But like all third versions, the improvements and changes they make are for the better so there's no reason to ever go back to the previous games. I really dislike third versions, but USUM are some of the best games in the series, I'll probably never touch SM again, they're just inferior games and that's always a shame.
USUM didn't have as good writing, especially where Lillie and Lusamine were concerned, IMO. (I'm still bitter they removed the scene on exeggutor island)
I'm also pretty sure XY had intended on having a third version, but it got cut to focus on gen 7 instead - mainly because of the weird inclusion of the zygarde stuff, which screams "we wanted to make this important in Z version but whoops"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

USUM didn't have as good writing, especially where Lillie and Lusamine were concerned, IMO. (I'm still bitter they removed the scene on exeggutor island)
I'm also pretty sure XY had intended on having a third version, but it got cut to focus on gen 7 instead - mainly because of the weird inclusion of the zygarde stuff, which screams "we wanted to make this important in Z version but whoops"

Considering Zygarde debuted in the anime long before it actually showed up in the games I wouldn't doubt that (though then again technically so did Ho-oh).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rayquaza, Kyurem, and Giratina throw eggs at Zygarde's house.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

d3lness posted:

Chocobo Mystery Dungeon. You play as Douno.

oh yeah! thanks for reminding me about this! never really got into final fantasy before but a chocobo is essentially a pokemon.

also whoever said i wanted 500 pokemon, i think 150 would be fine. aw dang i'm excited to dynamax these little friends!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What is there to suggest SwSh will have less new things than any other new pokemon game? I expect it will have about as much new pokemon as Sun and Moon or X and Y and the same amount of new moves and new mechanics or whatever.

the issue isn’t that there will be fewer additions, but that there are more and bigger subtractions than previous gens. adding the wild area and Big Form Pokemon seem like they might be decent from what we know now (the former does, anyway), but taking away the national dex, megas, and z moves is removing a bunch of stuff people like from the game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What was incomplete about Sun and Moon? They were pretty good and well received Pokemon games I feel? I don't understand this new narrative that Gamefreak has been in freefall for a decade and that Gen VII was worse than Gen VI and Gen VIII is continuing the trend. Like in what world was S/M more rushed than X and Y?

I think it's pretty silly to think that just because Gamefreak is not spending as much time on making Pokemon models that they'll use that extra time to flesh out the rest of the game. I don't think it's necessarily the case that because there's less work in one area that there will be more work in other areas of the game.

E:

What is there to suggest SwSh will have less new things than any other new pokemon game? I expect it will have about as much new pokemon as Sun and Moon or X and Y and the same amount of new moves and new mechanics or whatever.

I was mostly speaking of X/Y being rushed and having a load of assets gone unused, though S/M does have a few areas gone unused still.
It is not really a new narrative, each generation (or even, game) adds something new, removes something else but now it is removing far more than what was ever expected, with very little gains.
GameFreak did not even make the 3D models themselves, that was Creatures Inc. I don't really buy that they are making entirely new models just for Sw/Sh and if they do, then why the hell were the models futureproofed with a really large amount of triangles in the first place?
Either way, it seems that GameFreak's development methods are wasteful and inefficient, straining them even more given that they keep the studio small while still committed to annual releases.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

qnqnx posted:

I'd say most of the basis comes from X/Y and S/M feeling more rushed, incomplete and wasteful, and also the disappointment of no Gen 6 third game to "complete" X/Y.

They compensated with two third versions for Gen VII, to make it feel extra complete. Ironically enough these games took out the Zygarde side-quest which should have been the basis for Z. :V

Come to think of it, the whole "you meet the box legendary at the beginning and it gets stronger and advances to its final form near end-game" thing from SM might be a holdover from the Zygarde cells stuff.

Third versions are like GOTY editions or whatever it is some other video games do when they port to another console, like Godfather Blackhand Edition. Whenever I've tinkered with the games myself and done hard mode hacks I usually look to them for reference, instead of the hackneyed crap like Uranium. I think Blue was supposed to be an exclusive collectible to CoroCoro subs but then they realized people outside the diehards would want them...and they were right.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 26, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

qnqnx posted:

I was mostly speaking of X/Y being rushed and having a load of assets gone unused, though S/M does have a few areas gone unused still.

I still can’t believe we weren’t allowed onto the golf course

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What is the best way to actually buy heartgold or soulsilver?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

tildes posted:

What is the best way to actually buy heartgold or soulsilver?
find a non-gamestop game store. I've seen copies in more than a fair few. They'll still probably be 30+ dollars though

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is it strange that when I played through SoulSilver I felt immensely dissapointed?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

yes

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was disappointed from level 30 to 40.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish there were wild pokemon (especially in Kanto) above level 40. And have all Gen 1-4 pokemon there in the NatDex.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Am I the only one who finds Pelipper in Battle Agency/Battle Tree really annoying? It's so loving bulky(and can heal!) if you don't have a special effective move against it, and it has boosted water moves with Drizzle. I guess that just means I should patch up that weakness in my team but that's not always an option in Battle Agency.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Pelipper is the canonical God of Rain (Kyogre and Politoed are just pretenders) and of course gods should be hard to kill

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Grouchio posted:

Is it strange that when I played through SoulSilver I felt immensely dissapointed?

I think it depends entirely on the order you played the game. For me SS was the first Pokemon game I played, besides the obligatory childhood attempt of RBY that never beat the E4. So for me It was and remains on replays an amazing and good game. However I can totally understand someone coming straight from say Platinum and immediately being repulsed at the (admittedly terrible) level curve. Another reason is ironically part of why I think it's the best game to get someone new into the series. The game is a faithful remake of an original that was supposed to be a kind of add-on to gen 1. This means people who only ever played RBY in 5th grade aren't immediately overwhelmed with new Poke's and types and stuff. DPPt is probably my first or second favorite Pokemon game, but I would never recommend it as someones first when they come to me and say "I played RBY as a kid and am interesting in getting back into the series, what do you recommend?"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Grouchio posted:

nah thats normal, the level scaling is garbo and there arent any pokemon in it

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

galagazombie posted:

I think it depends entirely on the order you played the game. For me SS was the first Pokemon game I played, besides the obligatory childhood attempt of RBY that never beat the E4. So for me It was and remains on replays an amazing and good game. However I can totally understand someone coming straight from say Platinum and immediately being repulsed at the (admittedly terrible) level curve. Another reason is ironically part of why I think it's the best game to get someone new into the series. The game is a faithful remake of an original that was supposed to be a kind of add-on to gen 1. This means people who only ever played RBY in 5th grade aren't immediately overwhelmed with new Poke's and types and stuff. DPPt is probably my first or second favorite Pokemon game, but I would never recommend it as someones first when they come to me and say "I played RBY as a kid and am interesting in getting back into the series, what do you recommend?"

A friend of mine recently decided to play some newer titles in the series, with the only caveat being he has a DS Lite as his newest handheld. I felt White was the best entry point because it's fresh and won't feel tethered at all to past titles.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

The Golden Gael posted:

I felt White was the best entry point because it's fresh and won't feel tethered at all to past titles.

Apart from a significant amount of gen V mons being gen I expies

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

less laughter posted:

which, if it's your entry point, means nothing

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

less laughter posted:

This is perhaps more overt in Gen V, but really it happens every generation to a degree. Generation III had a Caterpie-clone, Magikarp-clone, Paras-clone, Abra-clone, and a few more less obvious ones which fill the same purpose. In many cases they didn't even remove the analogue from the Hoenn dex.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I hope Galar's music has bagpipes like Hoenn's had trumpets

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1143628670398918656

what a legend

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did plasma modify all of those

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
yeah they have an assembly line for it

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Genesect is cool because he can transform into a car.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
the flying car is the real Genesect

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

indigi posted:

I still can’t believe we weren’t allowed onto the golf course

My characters were black, so it felt annoyingly right.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Farecoal posted:

I hope Galar's music has bagpipes like Hoenn's had trumpets

Unfortunately, they've not shown up in any of the music people have heard

The gym theme seems far more techno-based

Still, maybe they'll show up in the cities...

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I was thinking more for the wild area and routes, majestic bagpipes as you travel across not-UK

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rudoku posted:

My characters were black, so it felt annoyingly right.

loving same

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Farecoal posted:

I was thinking more for the wild area and routes, majestic bagpipes as you travel across not-UK

Yeah bagpipes are at their best when heard distantly across a mist-shrouded moor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I want Breath of the Wild: Pokemon Edition.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
we all want things

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Iron Crowned posted:

I want Breath of the Wild: Pokemon Edition.

Only six pokemon catchable, they work like Shiekah Slate runes. The HMs you get are like the champion powers.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And your Pokémon all have durability and can't be healed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
6 Pokemon but with extremely detailed modeling and animation, watch their whiskers dance in the wind