Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc1qwginrWU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm impressed that someone is able to put that many monsters in a movie and still pique zero interest in me. But if anyone could it it, I'm not surprised it's Paul W.S. Anderson.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In hindsight, Mila going for the Dual Blades make perfect sense and I’m honestly shocked it didn’t occur to me before seeing it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I will rent out a theater just to watch it myself.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

0:11 "Captain, do you have any idea what those markers 𝕒𝕣𝕖?"

How is there still such lovely editing in major movie trailers in tyool 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Did the RE movies really make so much money that Capcom was favorably inclined to let Anderson and Jovovich have a crack at yet another franchise? Surely they could've farmed this out to Netflix or some other streaming service clamoring for IPs with a built-in audience to turn into a show.

Not sure how someone manages to make a movie about giant monsters look more boring than Congressional hearings but I guess we all have our talents.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mat Cauthon posted:

Did the RE movies really make so much money that Capcom was favorably inclined to let Anderson and Jovovich have a crack at yet another franchise?

I mean, they made a million of them, so probably.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Looks like poo poo to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPnfMMgRK58

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The Donnie Darko blackboard scene, except the two ends of the line are "Good Terminator" and "Bad Terminator"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What utter trite. Terminators are machines, they’re neither good nor bad, only a biproduct of unchecked capitalism.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ruddiger posted:

What utter trite. Terminators are machines, they’re neither good nor bad, only a biproduct of unchecked capitalism.

Unfortunately there's no way to make that apply to the deprivation of America's rural working class.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
In every scene Glenn Close looks like she's a fraction of a second from knocking you the gently caress out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

In every scene Glenn Close looks like she's a fraction of a second from knocking you the gently caress out.

Just like A TERMINATOR!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The end part of the trailer has big "final shot of the movie" energy.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"From Academy-Award Winning Director Ron Howard"

:lol::lol:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I read the title as Hillbilly Energy and laughed.

[edit] Just watched the trailer. Should just be titled White People.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 15, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Glenn Close is Elderly Beavis.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Hillbilly Elegy was a wild feat

https://newrepublic.com/article/138717/jd-vance-false-prophet-blue-america

The only lauded work to be objectively racist against white Americans

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 15, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

please someone give Amy Adams and Glenn Close some Oscars so that they'll stop doing dumb poo poo like an adaptation of JD Vance Is A Shitfuck by Ron Howard

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

caligulamprey posted:

Glenn Close is Elderly Beavis.

ahahah she looks so loving ridiculous. this is ridiculous

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Looks like another army recruitment film

(monster hunter and hillbilly energy)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSfX-nrg-lI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BPMTr-NS9s

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would like to watch Mank right now please thank you

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That Raya trailer looks dope. At the very least the animation looks beautiful and that music is *killer*.

Also I think Moana is the best Disney (only) animated movie of all time, and both my kids love it so I'm def down with some more solid female empowerment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm interested in Raya, but the fact that it's Disney trying to do something with nonwhite cultures is just making me think "okay, how are they gonna gently caress up this time?"

Like I think Moana is the literal only time they've attempted that, in their entire history as a company, and not stepped on every single possible rake

e: I guess Black Panther too, since that's Disney, and Princess and the Frog (which they sent out to die and generally seem to want to memory-hole, so I don't even really want to count it) and I guess the original Mulan isn't actively offensive but for how many movies Disney's made that's not a very long list of non-racist-as-hell ones

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The writer of Raya is literally a Malaysian. I hope it’s good.

Another great animation trailer from something more familiar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCDu4nmt8M

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I'm interested in Raya, but the fact that it's Disney trying to do something with nonwhite cultures is just making me think "okay, how are they gonna gently caress up this time?"

Like I think Moana is the literal only time they've attempted that, in their entire history as a company, and not stepped on every single possible rake

e: I guess Black Panther too, since that's Disney, and Princess and the Frog (which they sent out to die and generally seem to want to memory-hole, so I don't even really want to count it) and I guess the original Mulan isn't actively offensive but for how many movies Disney's made that's not a very long list of non-racist-as-hell ones

Given how good Moana is, and how much my daughter loves it, and how much I'd rather watch more stuff like that and less like the other poo poo I'm forced to watch with her, I'm going to choose to have high hopes for this.

But seriously, Moana is the best animated movie they've ever put out. By leaps and bounds. (I'm not counting Pixar, because I really don't feel like getting into that argument/comparison right now.)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Is original Mulan that bad? I thought it was pretty well-regarded.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Byzantine posted:

It's well-regarded as a whole, but the general consensus regarding whether it's respectful to Chinese culture and folklore seems to be "...meh, they tried, I guess."

It's certainly viewed better on that front than the live-action is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

For Moana they setup a trust (the Oceanic Trust) of Pacific Islanders to step them through all of the potential pitfalls.

For the most part it was successful with just a few missteps or inconsistencies. The two biggest being, they felt Maui was depicted as Obese when he should be strong. I feel like I've always seen him as this stout column of muscle. I never once thought of him as obese.

And they didn't like the over emphasis on the coconuts at times as they thought, while it's sacred to them, that it was a bit too stereotpyical.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/11/moana-oceanic-trust-disney-controversy-pacific-islanders-polynesia

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Byzantine posted:

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1314708403135016960

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I don't have time to keep reading this whole thing (stupid work), but I what I did read was fascinating. Thanks for posting it.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Well they did post (and then delete) a video for "healthy" Princess and the Frog gumbo that had kale and quinoa but no roux. That was pretty hosed up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The MSJ posted:

The writer of Raya is literally a Malaysian. I hope it’s good.

Another great animation trailer from something more familiar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCDu4nmt8M

I thought Mank was the Pinky and the Brain reboot :confused:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That was really interesting, thanks!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have a young daughter who is going to love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR7OrwlrsP0

Looks cute. A movie about a side character's adventures "just off camera" during the main movie is a neat idea. I know it was used in The Lion King 1½, and maybe some others?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LifeLynx posted:

I have a young daughter who is going to love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR7OrwlrsP0

Looks cute. A movie about a side character's adventures "just off camera" during the main movie is a neat idea. I know it was used in The Lion King 1½, and maybe some others?

BURN-E did it best.

[edit] nm, video had no audio lol

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 21, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yeah, this pretty much lines up with what I remembered: there's the really obvious kinda-disrespectful stuff (Mushu), but past that, they were really visibly trying and mostly succeeding, and while it's not a particularly historically accurate movie, the inaccuracies are minor enough that your average Chinese person is either not bothered or actively amused by them. I'm not gonna call it a full-on win for Disney on this front but I'm not gonna call it a loss, either.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I know that people forget about it because it’s such a weird outlier in the world of Disney but Lilo and Stitch is a movie where pretty much every human character is non-white and modern Hawaii is treated with respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mank looks like extremely my poo poo.