Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
On the website, front and center, is where I found it. I have that jack and it's always worked fine, even though it's heavy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

EKDS5k posted:

According to the instruction manual, they are manufactured by Georg Schmerler GmbH & Co.

Brilliant thank you. I don't care it the minimum quantity is ten pairs I'm getting some of these into the UK.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EKDS5k posted:

According to the instruction manual, they are manufactured by Georg Schmerler GmbH & Co.

Noted, thanks :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy gently caress sears has gone downhill even just in the last year. I went in to warranty 4 things:
1. 10mm gearwrench that no longer turns bolts in either direction
2. 1/2 craftsman ratchet
3. 3/8 craftsman ratchet
4. 19mm elbow ratcheting box wrench, craftsman, the elbow fails at random resulting in it being more of a surprise knuckle skin removal device than a wrench

1 went smoothly, 2 they had to rebuild in store, 3 they rebuilt in store only to discover that the pawl kit had no socket retention spring or ball bearing (wtf!) So they had to rebuild it again, 4 wasn't on the shelf so they've been fighting the computer for 30 minutes now trying to let it drop ship me a new one even though it is throwing a fit because I bought a set and only want to exchange one of them.

Yeah, I will stick with HF from now on, unless I break poo poo too often then it is time to step up to snapoff and matco...

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^ ive got a super awesome matco guy and have been buying more of there stuff. There wrenches are less rusty bolt stripping then snapoff. Matco guys who are cool will also warranty gearwrench stuff. plus the logo screams MERICA cant beat an eagle :911:.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm thinking about getting a bigger electric impact wrench. Currently, I have a Ryobi 1+ 18v that I can pop 3/8" sockets on. According to Amazon, it makes "up to 1,200 in-lb of torque".

I also have a Ryobi power drill that uses the same batteries, and I'm reasonably happy with it.

I could stick with the Ryobi 1+ system and drop a hundred bucks on a 1/2" impact wrench that makes 200 lb-ft of torque. Is there anything better I could find at a reasonable price point, that would justify jumping to a different battery ecosystem?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Holy gently caress sears has gone downhill even just in the last year. I went in to warranty 4 things:
1. 10mm gearwrench that no longer turns bolts in either direction
2. 1/2 craftsman ratchet
3. 3/8 craftsman ratchet
4. 19mm elbow ratcheting box wrench, craftsman, the elbow fails at random resulting in it being more of a surprise knuckle skin removal device than a wrench

1 went smoothly, 2 they had to rebuild in store, 3 they rebuilt in store only to discover that the pawl kit had no socket retention spring or ball bearing (wtf!) So they had to rebuild it again, 4 wasn't on the shelf so they've been fighting the computer for 30 minutes now trying to let it drop ship me a new one even though it is throwing a fit because I bought a set and only want to exchange one of them.

Yeah, I will stick with HF from now on, unless I break poo poo too often then it is time to step up to snapoff and matco...

At least they tried, when I tried to warranty my torque wrench last year (after my mom's idiot bf tightened it as far as it would go while "cleaning up" my work area after working on her car and broke the poo poo out of it), they refused it because apparently it's not a hand tool. :wtc:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fucknag posted:

At least they tried, when I tried to warranty my torque wrench last year (after my mom's idiot bf tightened it as far as it would go while "cleaning up" my work area after working on her car and broke the poo poo out of it), they refused it because apparently it's not a hand tool. :wtc:

Yeah it's always been that way with their torque wrenches.

I bought an Ingersoll rand 19v nicad cordless impact gun a few years ago which came with two batteries, of course both are fully dead by now.

I can get both batteries remanufactured for about a hundred, but I'm worried they batteries will poo poo the bed again in a few years, so would I be better off getting a corded impact gun?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah it's always been that way with their torque wrenches.

I bought an Ingersoll rand 19v nicad cordless impact gun a few years ago which came with two batteries, of course both are fully dead by now.

I can get both batteries remanufactured for about a hundred, but I'm worried they batteries will poo poo the bed again in a few years, so would I be better off getting a corded impact gun?

If it's for home garage use and you have some decent extension cords, go for a corded. I have one and with the exception of one trip to the salvage yard, I've never really had want for a cordless.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Fucknag posted:

Man, I walked into HF when I broke my last rubber mallet handle and a wrench from obvious abuse... They just said ok go grab new ones, oh and heres a 20% off coupon for your trouble. I know its nothing for them, but it was kind of nice they made an attempt to make life easy.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If it's for home garage use and you have some decent extension cords, go for a corded. I have one and with the exception of one trip to the salvage yard, I've never really had want for a cordless.

I also feel like the battery packs sitting on the end of the handle makes the cordless ones clunkier and harder to fit into tight spaces than a corded one.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

I also feel like the battery packs sitting on the end of the handle makes the cordless ones clunkier and harder to fit into tight spaces than a corded one.

Yes but they don't make an extension cord that goes from an outlet into the junkyard.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Safety Dance posted:

I'm thinking about getting a bigger electric impact wrench. Currently, I have a Ryobi 1+ 18v that I can pop 3/8" sockets on. According to Amazon, it makes "up to 1,200 in-lb of torque".

I also have a Ryobi power drill that uses the same batteries, and I'm reasonably happy with it.

I could stick with the Ryobi 1+ system and drop a hundred bucks on a 1/2" impact wrench that makes 200 lb-ft of torque. Is there anything better I could find at a reasonable price point, that would justify jumping to a different battery ecosystem?

You're talking about the little bitty impact driver. It's not really an impact wrench though you can use it as such for smaller bolts. I have both that one and the larger 200 ft-lb version you're considering. I get a lot of use out of it and it works pretty well. One thing I like about it is that it seems to hit a good torque range for installing lug nuts so I will often just let it hammer my lugs on and don't even bother with a torque wrench.

The bad is that it will only remove lug nuts about 60% of the time, and even the big lithium battery can't hold enough charge to totally remove and reinstall all four wheels on a car. I find myself switching to the air impact somewhat often. It wouldn't have a chance in hell in removing an axle nut or crank pulley. It will get everything else though, and it's nice having something cordless, especially for junkyard trips.

If I was to do it all over again I think I would probably opt for the Milwaukee tool system instead. I have a couple of the Ryobi lithium batteries and they're just utter garbage after one year. Everything works but it's definitely not pro-grade stuff. You won't hate life sticking with the Ryobi but if you're doing much wrenching you'll wish you had tools with better performance.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

SouthsideSaint posted:

Yes but they don't make an extension cord that goes from an outlet into the junkyard.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

revmoo posted:

You're talking about the little bitty impact driver. It's not really an impact wrench though you can use it as such for smaller bolts. I have both that one and the larger 200 ft-lb version you're considering. I get a lot of use out of it and it works pretty well. One thing I like about it is that it seems to hit a good torque range for installing lug nuts so I will often just let it hammer my lugs on and don't even bother with a torque wrench.

The bad is that it will only remove lug nuts about 60% of the time, and even the big lithium battery can't hold enough charge to totally remove and reinstall all four wheels on a car. I find myself switching to the air impact somewhat often. It wouldn't have a chance in hell in removing an axle nut or crank pulley. It will get everything else though, and it's nice having something cordless, especially for junkyard trips.

If I was to do it all over again I think I would probably opt for the Milwaukee tool system instead. I have a couple of the Ryobi lithium batteries and they're just utter garbage after one year. Everything works but it's definitely not pro-grade stuff. You won't hate life sticking with the Ryobi but if you're doing much wrenching you'll wish you had tools with better performance.

I wish air was in the cards anytime soon, but I'm going to be living in a condo with a shared parking structure for the next few years at least.

A factory reconditioned Milwaukee 2663-80 claims to hit 450 lb-ft. I'll see if there's any money left in the budget once I get my bonus / tax refund for that + batteries + charger + impact sockets.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Most junkyards here don't let you bring generators. Fire hazards and all that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Didn't think of that, my local when you need some power hooks up a grinder/nibbler/impact to the air tank on their forklift.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm going to end up with like 80 ratchets since it seems that pretty much every non-impact set of sockets comes with ratchets. Guess you can never have too many tools right? :getin:

Anyone here have any Grey Pneumatic stuff? Seems like they have some pretty nice sets.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I have been having fun with a new homegrown tool:

Built it from this video, more or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD10DjxM1g

So far just using it to make some ingots, until I come up with a better idea on what to cast. But melting poo poo is fun.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I need to knock a press fit M12 bolt out of my car's frame. Which one of these punch sets would work best for that? http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=1&q=punch

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I need to knock a press fit M12 bolt out of my car's frame. Which one of these punch sets would work best for that? http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=1&q=punch

The 8 piece set is very soft and bend easily, especially the thinner few. The thicker ones in the set may be fine for your purposes.

The 5 piece set is stronger, but the extra length may be difficult in tight spaces.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

You can also troll your local craigslist tools for sale ad. You may find someone selling old ones that would poo poo all over the HF ones and make that bolt quiver in fear.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

revmoo posted:

Ryobi and Milwaukee are both owned by TTI, Ryobi is just the lower price/quality line. An M18 Fuel impact should be able to handle lugnuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PnmEwJ-MQw

A regular M18 non-fuel can probably do lugnuts too and it will be cheaper, but the Fuel version has brushless motors which are just overall better. More torque, longer battery life, larger batteries, etc.

BraveUlysses posted:

Lithium-ion batteries (such as the Milwaukee M series and other new drills) is the point where cordless tools went from "it kinda works" to "holy crap, I can get poo poo done".

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The list of reasons that I went with Milwaukee includes multiple options for cordless loving bandsaws. :3:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
By the way, my favorite cordless tool so far is the Ryobi spotlight. It's a loving car HID light that runs off the 1+ batteries. So incredibly bright. Too bad I only get like 10 minutes off a full charge.

Grabbed a Black and Decker Powerstation with some credit card points at Home Depot. It's pretty nice, 500watt inverter, usb/cigarette lighter, car starter, air compressor, and light. A little concerning that they don't actually publish the amp hours on the battery but after some digging online it appears to be 17 which is good but not great. I'm hoping that I can replace the battery in a couple years when it inevitably craps out.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Crotch Fruit posted:

Ryobi and Milwaukee are both owned by TTI, Ryobi is just the lower price/quality line. An M18 Fuel impact should be able to handle lugnuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PnmEwJ-MQw

A regular M18 non-fuel can probably do lugnuts too and it will be cheaper, but the Fuel version has brushless motors which are just overall better. More torque, longer battery life, larger batteries, etc.

Lithium-ion batteries (such as the Milwaukee M series and other new drills) is the point where cordless tools went from "it kinda works" to "holy crap, I can get poo poo done".

My girlfriend walked in on me while I was watching Youtube reviews of the M18 Fuel impact gun. It was pretty embarrassing, but watching a cordless tool break a Civic crank bolt loose. :hawaaaafap:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Why be embarrassed? My gf is always walking in on me watching tool reviews. Its only embarrassing when your pants are down

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Some decent deals for some of these organizer trays that look better than the HF ones

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-Compartment-Interlocking-Organizer-Black-2-Pack-320034/204515485?keyword=1000023711

HDX 15-Compartment Interlocking Organizer, Black (2-Pack)
Easy to remove dividers to put bits, screw, socket or other tools into the organizer
Organizers lock together, so you can carry up 3 organizers at one time
Conveniently stores in the home, garage, office, car, dorm room or school room
Heavy duty slide lock

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-65-Compartment-5-In-1-Organizer-3200201/205558084?keyword=1001030526
HDX 65-Compartment 5 In 1 Organizer
Up to 34 compartment configurations using 24 dividers
Customizable compartments make everything methodical
Plastic material makes the organizer light and easy to carry on
Transparent quick-view top for quick identification of contents

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

Fucknag posted:

Last time I checked, they will only warranty the click-type torque wrenches for 90 days...but the beam ones have a lifetime warranty. I used it a few months ago and brought in a copy of the website text to show them. No problems.

http://www.craftsman.com/cswarranty/nb-100000000227082#point3a

edit: just saw that part about tightened it as far as it would go....oops. :(

itsrobbiej fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 2, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ooh neat. My Craftsman beam wrench is knackered, didn't realize I could get a free replacement.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm looking to get a bit driver like this Chapman one, though I'd like to spend less money and get some torx bits. Any suggestions?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Deeters posted:

I'm looking to get a bit driver like this Chapman one, though I'd like to spend less money and get some torx bits. Any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-BTMT72275-Specialty-Wrench-32-Piece/dp/B00F3ZY00I

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

itsrobbiej posted:

Last time I checked, they will only warranty the click-type torque wrenches for 90 days...but the beam ones have a lifetime warranty. I used it a few months ago and brought in a copy of the website text to show them. No problems.

http://www.craftsman.com/cswarranty/nb-100000000227082#point3a

edit: just saw that part about tightened it as far as it would go....oops. :(

Yeah as soon as I pulled it out I could see it looked wrong, when I loosened it to 150 (!) and checked it on my lug nuts, it clicked but felt really weird, and didn't unclick when I let off. I was loving pissed.

I should get a beam wrench one of these days, they're handy for doing angle tightening and setting rotating torque on stuff, without costing a billion dollars like the digital ones do (although I'd love one of those eventually too).

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
They are pretty cheap too. Craftsman's quality has been ehhh, but for 25 bucks or whatever with lifetime warranty, why not?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Does anyone have any recommendations for tap and die sets? Automotive use of course, mostly thread chasing.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thread restoration: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-48-pc-sae-metric-thread-restorer-kit/p-00942275000P

Tap + Die kits- NOS USA made Irwin
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-49350...=item4d2cbceabc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-49350...=item5b00ab265c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-Hanso...e_Tools&vxp=mtr

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Thanks! Lots cheaper than what I was anticipating. I didn't even know a thread restorer kit was an option, what's the advantage? Does it just keep me from destroying an existing thread when trying to chase it?

The word thread has lost nearly all meaning to me now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Here's my rule of thumb. Thread restorer = use on all pre existing threads. Bolts, nuts. inserts, ect. Tap/Die= use to cut new threads. There's some exceptions in there, but trust me when I say you want a sharp tap. Cleaning threads with a tap rolls over the cutting edge, dulling them. Nothing cuts worse then a dull tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So I ordered the mad scientist looking safety goggles from earlier in this thread. Garrett wade had some coupon up for a free knife which I of course opted to get because hey, free stuff is awesome. The moron they had putting my stuff in a box just kind of threw everything in together so of course the knife shifted around and smashed one of the welding lenses. Called them up to make a complaint and they asked if I wanted a new set of lenses shipped out to me as soon as I mentioned they were broken. No arguements, no need to deal with a supervisor, just "Oh, it arrived broken? Want us to send another set out immediately?". I'm kinda impressed. And the goggles aren't too shabby either.