Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

stealie72 posted:

I had mine crushed by my inability to not get nauseous on things as innocuous as a merry go round. Stupid lovely inner ear.
Fun fact, you can actually train yourself not to get motion sick. Or you can just gut through it like a guy in my flight school class did.

AlternateAccount posted:

Speaking for myself, no amount of OH YOU DID YOURSELF A FAVOR will ever, ever wash away the pain of not being able to fly F-15s because of my only marginally not-good-enough eyesight.
My point was more that, if you got eliminated at the eyesight test phase, there were still a lot more hurdles between you and that sweet F-15/Herk/SR-71 stick time that you hadn't even seen yet (no pun intended) some of which are quite arbitrary. If you hit some of those hurdles, you fall hard. You might have graduated top 1/3 of your flight school class only to be told, "sorry no F-15s this month. How do you feel about AWACS?" I've come closer to the brass ring than most here, take it from me.

Sjurygg posted:

Maybe Shia pilots? Highly unlikely, I must admit.
Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of defections were pilots deciding that it was better to chance it in the Islamic Republic than to tangle with the combined NATO air forces, become a POW, or stay and face Saddam's punishments for cowardice/failure. I've never seen any documentation saying who actually made the call to send jets to Iran.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Totally TWISTED posted:

I know PRK wasn't an option around 2000-2003 when I asked a recruiter when I was in high school. No flying my dream F-16 for me :sigh:

PRK was absolutely allowed by 04, so you were almost certainly lied to by the recruiter. To be a pilot you have to be an officer, which means you'd go to a special recruiter and this dude wouldn't get credit for tricking recruiting you.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Fun fact, you can actually train yourself not to get motion sick. Or you can just gut through it like a guy in my flight school class did.

Haha, this sounds like there was a guy zooming around the skies in a trainer jet filled to the gunwales with chunder.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dead Reckoning posted:

My point was more that, if you got eliminated at the eyesight test phase, there were still a lot more hurdles between you and that sweet F-15/Herk/SR-71 stick time that you hadn't even seen yet (no pun intended) some of which are quite arbitrary. If you hit some of those hurdles, you fall hard. You might have graduated top 1/3 of your flight school class only to be told, "sorry no F-15s this month. How do you feel about AWACS?" I've come closer to the brass ring than most here, take it from me.

No way, I would have totally made it. :colbert: Alright, fine, odds are it's better to wash out before even showing up rather than have a bitter and disillusion military career :\

Is there a political aspect to who gets what sort of assignment? My nightmare is that it would be a lot like the corporate world...

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Godholio posted:

...so you were almost certainly lied to by the recruiter....

Well yeah, his lips were moving.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Godholio posted:

PRK was absolutely allowed by 04, so you were almost certainly lied to by the recruiter. To be a pilot you have to be an officer, which means you'd go to a special recruiter and this dude wouldn't get credit for tricking recruiting you.

When I spoke to the recruiter it was more like 2000 really (I want to say it was my sophomore year). Graduated 2003 from HS having done army jrotc and then did army rotc for a few years. So possibly the blame falls on me for not following up closer to graduation but honestly by that point my grades were not straight A pilot material.

Ok well that's some Cold War E/N for you.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there a political aspect to who gets what sort of assignment? My nightmare is that it would be a lot like the corporate world...

Absolutely. Ultimately your plane selection is determined by your instructors/Leadership who judge you behind closed doors, on whatever criteria they feel pertinent at the time.

Additionally, the "drop" (assignments) for your class is for all the pilot training bases, arbitrarily split between the training wings by AFPC. The Wing Commanders then horse-trade the assignments based on what they want to give their students. Hope you have someone going to bat for you with the boss you hopefully never met in person in order to get one of the two F-15s that dropped for 80+ students! (If any dropped at all.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Vindolanda posted:

Haha, this sounds like there was a guy zooming around the skies in a trainer jet filled to the gunwales with chunder.
The truth is almost better. Most people get airsick to some degree; it's not uncommon for pilots who've been out of the jet for a long time to puke on their first ride back. Repeated airsickness is grounds for disqualification, but only if it's "active" airsickness. Active means either barfing or so disabling that you cannot fly. Just feeling like absolute poo poo for an entire training sortie isn't enough to get written up, and if you last long enough eventually your body will adjust. My airsickness was fairly mild; I threw up on my second ride, felt like poo poo on my third, and was mostly fine from there. Another guy in my class had it bad. He kept throwing up, sometimes more than once a flight, and was on the verge of being eliminated, but he kept getting back in the plane. He wanted to be a pilot. I don't know what combination of purging, unauthorized self-medication, and iron will he used, but he was able to stop himself from throwing up. It didn't stop him from getting sick though; I used to think turning green with illness was a thing that only happened in Bugs Bunny cartoons, but this guy would come back from flying every day covered in sweat and looking like a corpse. Eventually, his body adjusted too, and he ended up graduating top 1/3.

AlternateAccount posted:

No way, I would have totally made it. :colbert: Alright, fine, odds are it's better to wash out before even showing up rather than have a bitter and disillusion military career :\

Your assignment is based in equal measure on skill, luck, politics, and the blind whims of Personnel Command. Let's assume for a second you get a pilot slot (not guaranteed) and make it through the first two phases (and don't, for example, have a flight doctor discover your previously undiagnosed diabetes during a routine physical and get immediately removed from training as well as having your civilian Private Pilot's License stripped.) At that point, your leadership meets behind closed doors to determine who gets assigned to the fighter, turboprop, heavy, and helicopter tracks for Phase III. There is no appeal if you don't like what they choose for you. Fighter pilots in the Training Command are notorious for trying to make sure the "right sort of people" get sent to fighter squadrons, so you're out of luck if one of them has found a reason to dislike you or you're an unattractive woman. If you make it through Phase III too, you get to go through the process again like SgtMongoose described. If you come in at a bad time, there may not be enough fighters for everyone on the fighter track, so you may end up flying tanker/airlift anyway. FYI, some of your instructors who are coming up for reassignment are put into the same pool for picking aircraft, and they probably have more face time with the person making the decision than you do. Assuming you do get one of the fighter slots, you then have to go through centrifuge training, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, and your Replacement Training Unit, all of which can be failed for various reasons which may be beyond your control. Assuming you pass all that and make it to your fighter base as a fully qualified, zipper-suited Knight of the Air, the Air Force may still decide to arbitrarily reassign you from F-16s to Predators as a young wingman because of manning issues. At the time, they will say that you can return to fighters after one tour, but this will turn out to be a lie.

Good luck!

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 14, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wow, that's viciously depressing. Is most of this accurate historically or is this a more recent development?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
This is why I just stick to flight sims...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AlternateAccount posted:

Wow, that's viciously depressing. Is most of this accurate historically or is this a more recent development?

World War 2 memoirs are full of dudes who wanted to fly Mustangs and ended up flying transport aircraft, getting stuck as bombardiers or navigators, etc. Christ, the worst are the poor fuckers who got drawn off to be glider pilots. They got the twin fun of having one of the highest death/injury rates of any pilots in the USAAF PLUS all the fun of getting to be infantry for a couple of weeks after "landing" with their cargo.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

World War 2 memoirs are full of dudes who wanted to fly Mustangs and ended up flying transport aircraft, getting stuck as bombardiers or navigators, etc. Christ, the worst are the poor fuckers who got drawn off to be glider pilots. They got the twin fun of having one of the highest death/injury rates of any pilots in the USAAF PLUS all the fun of getting to be infantry for a couple of weeks after "landing" with their cargo.

Was it the British or the Americans who didn't even train their glider pilots as infantry but still leave them in the combat zone for the entire operation?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
There's actually a way to short-cut the whole process: join the Air National Guard. Air Guard guys don't have to compete: they will fly whatever aircraft the unit they joined flies, and if they wash out for non-medical and non-criminal reasons, the Training Command call their unit and asks, "should we give this guy another shot?" The flipside is that joining an Air Guard unit is unashamedly political: they can more or less hire whoever they want without needing to justify it. So you have to find a Guard unit that flies the plane you want, that has an opening (because someone died or retired), that likes you more than everyone else competing for the spot. Oh, and Guard units can be made to convert to a different aircraft at the whims of Congress.

AlternateAccount posted:

It comes and it goes. During the post Cold War drawdown, there was so little demand for pilots that Pilot Training bases would take every other Friday off. At one point they had what was euphemistically called the "banked pilot program" where recent flight school graduates were sent to desk jobs for 2+ years with the promise that they would be allowed to come back to a flying assignment once manning stabilized. Most of them eventually ended up back in the cockpit, but a few...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The last time I looked the only officer positions available in the Virginia Air National Guard were for doctors.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I remember reading some WW2 memoir where a friend of the author was a civilian air racer, barnstormer and all around crack pilot.

When they found out he was Jewish he ended up as a navigator because Jews are good with numbers.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Wow, that's viciously depressing.

Welcome to the USAF! Enjoy your mandatory stay, length and location subject to the whims needs of the service!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Most of them eventually ended up back in the cockpit, but a few...

?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Via wiki: As of 2012, the service operates 5,484 aircraft and 332,854 active personnel.

Via the Airforce: The Air Force has 14,264 pilots and 64,104 Officers total.

So roughly 1/4 of officers are pilots, and those pilots are fighting for roughly 1/3 their number in slots.

2281 of those Aircraft are fighters(or A-10s, because everyone loves A-10s). And over half those fighters are F-16s. we only have a couple hundred of anything else.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I guess I'd never really sat down to work out the obvious math. There just aren't that many zoom zoom planes to go around.

I'd fly A-10s in a second though. I've met pilots here and there over the years and A-10 pilots were far and away the ones that I would most want to fly/work with every day, based on that anecdotal sample.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Alaan posted:

Via wiki: As of 2012, the service operates 5,484 aircraft and 332,854 active personnel.

Via the Airforce: The Air Force has 14,264 pilots and 64,104 Officers total.

So roughly 1/4 of officers are pilots, and those pilots are fighting for roughly 1/3 their number in slots.

2281 of those Aircraft are fighters(or A-10s, because everyone loves A-10s). And over half those fighters are F-16s. we only have a couple hundred of anything else.

Don't USAF units have more pilots than they have aircrafts, usually?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

I'd fly A-10s in a second though. I've met pilots here and there over the years and A-10 pilots were far and away the ones that I would most want to fly/work with every day, based on that anecdotal sample.
You and everybody else, buddy. Seriously, the 104th Fighter Squadron (MDANG) is more selective than most white-shoe law firms.

FrozenVent posted:

Don't USAF units have more pilots than they have aircrafts, usually?
Yes, and the ratio is different for every aircraft. Also, there a lot of pilots in minimal or non-flying assignments. General Welsh is an A-10 pilot (though I assume you re-code to a new AFSC when you're the Chief of Staff.)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Dead Reckoning posted:

It comes and it goes. During the post Cold War drawdown, there was so little demand for pilots that Pilot Training bases would take every other Friday off. At one point they had what was euphemistically called the "banked pilot program" where recent flight school graduates were sent to desk jobs for 2+ years with the promise that they would be allowed to come back to a flying assignment once manning stabilized. Most of them eventually ended up back in the cockpit, but a few...

The Navy in the early '00s was running something like a year backlog at flight school. One of my college bros was forced to cool his heels waiting all that time to class up, getting officer pay in Pensacola that whole time with no real duties and responsibilities beyond keeping fit and staying out of trouble. I can only imagine how hellish that was.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cyrano4747 posted:

Christ, the worst are the poor fuckers who got drawn off to be glider pilots. They got the twin fun of having one of the highest death/injury rates of any pilots in the USAAF PLUS all the fun of getting to be infantry for a couple of weeks after "landing" with their cargo.

I met a docent at the Lyon Air Museum by John Wayne Airport who had been a glider pilot. He explained with pride that he had made four safe landings in Normandy and Holland, but it sounded like a really hairy assignment (even before the gliders were launched; each C-47 would pull two gliders, and the pilots of each would have to keep on their toes the whole way to keep from hitting each other.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StandardVC10 posted:

I met a docent at the Lyon Air Museum by John Wayne Airport who had been a glider pilot. He explained with pride that he had made four safe landings in Normandy and Holland, but it sounded like a really hairy assignment (even before the gliders were launched; each C-47 would pull two gliders, and the pilots of each would have to keep on their toes the whole way to keep from hitting each other.)

Jesus gently caress. :stonk:

That guy told death to go gently caress itself, and then drove off into the sunset with deaths girlfriend.

My paternal grandfather was a glider pilot, but never made a combat landing. He was pacific bound when the war ended.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The best part is that glider pilots and glider infantry got no additional pay or recognition.

That changed after some high rank or reporter did a ride along and realized "holy poo poo this is way worse than parachuting".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

The best part is that glider pilots and glider infantry got no additional pay or recognition.

That changed after some high rank or reporter did a ride along and realized "holy poo poo this is way worse than parachuting".

Can't have hurt that they lost a goddamned general in one of those things. I think it was the XO of the 82nd? Basically they up-armored the glider right before the flight and only told the pilot a few minutes before take off. That coupled with a wet LZ and a lovely slope for landing led them to skid into a hedgerow and the general broke his neck.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

Can't have hurt that they lost a goddamned general in one of those things. I think it was the XO of the 82nd? Basically they up-armored the glider right before the flight and only told the pilot a few minutes before take off. That coupled with a wet LZ and a lovely slope for landing led them to skid into a hedgerow and the general broke his neck.

You're thinking of a scene in Saving Private Ryan which was based off of a real incident, except it wasn't up-armoring but a slippery LZ and bad luck that killed the real guy, who was ADC of the 101st.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Gliders were cool stateside as well. One folded up over Lambert field. Killed the Mayor of St. Louis and 9 other Whos, including the guy who owned the company that built the glider.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=950&dat=19430802&id=k2lIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GlUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5318,3456268

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

You're thinking of a scene in Saving Private Ryan which was based off of a real incident, except it wasn't up-armoring but a slippery LZ and bad luck that killed the real guy, who was ADC of the 101st.

Figures. I knew slippery grass had something to do with it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The up-armoring didn't help.

"After all of the photographs with Murphy, his copilot, Pratt, and his aide were taken, the Fighting Falcon became the ship for a lesser crew while the VIPs were slated for one of the safer models. Into that glider went the general's jeep, the command radio he anticipated using, and some extra cans of gasoline for the vehicle. The weight slightly exceeded the safe load limits of cargo for a CG-4A, but Murphy, an extremely skilled pilot, felt confident he could handle it. However, unknown to him, members of Pratt's staff concerned for the general's survival arranged to install sheet iron plates on the cargo compartment floor to protect against ground fire. The added weight amounted to a gross overload and destroyed the usual flight trim of the glider.

[...]

'And that's why Murphy utilized ever bit of speed from the tow to gain as much altitude as possible; he had no idea how the glider would behave in free flight, except that the glide ratio would be like that of a flat rock. To keep from stalling into a crash he had to fly at speeds much above normal. Consequently he hit the landing field like a meteor. Combine that with the downhill slope of a wet, grassy field and they had no chance.'"

Went pretty much like described in SPR.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?index=books&linkCode=qs&keywords=0440236975

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
^^^ Didn't the Jeep come loose and crush him, breaking his neck? I haven't seen SPR in awhile.

AlternateAccount posted:

I guess I'd never really sat down to work out the obvious math. There just aren't that many zoom zoom planes to go around.

I've only met two A-10 pilots, they came in to Stewart for the weekend for something and I ran into them at a local Burger King. One of them liked my truck and struck up a conversation about it. Real cool dudes. One looked almost identical to Willem Dafoe in Flight of the Intruder.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 15, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

^^^ Didn't the Jeep come loose and crush him, breaking his neck? I haven't seen SPR in awhile.

Everything I've read/remember only indicated he broke his neck as a result of whiplash from the rather sudden deceleration when the glider hit the hedgerow.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cyrano4747 posted:

My grandfather went to flight school, but ended up driving a forklift at Pearl Harbor during the war due to a ruptured eardrum*.

*That was the family story. It turns out that he just wasn't very good at flying. I have his logbook.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

PhotoKirk posted:

My grandfather went to flight school, but ended up driving a forklift at Pearl Harbor during the war due to a ruptured eardrum*.

*That was the family story. It turns out that he just wasn't very good at flying. I have his logbook.

Probably for the best. Green pilots did not last long on either side in the Pacific early in the war. Doubly so when aircraft carriers were involved.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

My grandfather started flight school too, but ended up a radar countermeasure operator in the 36th.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WT Wally posted:

My grandfather started flight school too, but ended up a radar countermeasure operator in the 36th.

My grandfather didn't go to flight school, but ended up in a 8th AAF maintenance unit with a license to steal every goddamned thing he could get his hands on:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

WT Wally posted:

One of my grandfathers ended up flying F6 corsairs. The other joined the navy in 1945 and was on a destroyer for a few months before it ate a kamikaze and immediately steamed back to the states to repair.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

One of my grandfathers found on arriving at boot camp in Texas that something about the heat and humidity caused a preexisting head injury to give him debilitating migraines. They were so bad that the Army ended up using him in a research project for experimental brain surgery. Luckily enough he was one of the control subjects, while most of the guys who they dug into died or were never quite right again. They medically discharged him at the end of the trial at some base in Texas and told him to find his own way back to the PNW.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Phanatic posted:

My grandfather didn't go to flight school, but ended up in a 8th AAF maintenance unit with a license to steal every goddamned thing he could get his hands on:

My other grandfather was a clerk for a B-17 group in England. He became a scrounger/horse trader of legendary renown. I like to think he was the inspiration for Milo Minderbender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My grandpa flew Bolingbrookes (Canadian version of the Blenheim) and Beaufighters. Bombed a whale in the St. Lawrence, thinking it was a U-Boat. He also surfed a mattress in a hotel room flooded with beer which caused him to be reduced in rank. He rescued a crew from a crashed and burning airplane during training which saw him get Mentioned in Despatches.

He grew into an old man who loved dick and fart jokes and babies. His military service which he told me about does not match up with the medals he gave me (More medals than stories) so I need to get his records one of these days but there are limits on who can access that information.

mikerock fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 15, 2014