Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

All of that Duel Links stuff sounds like a good epilogue to a bad series, unlike what Arc-V actually had, a bad ending that resolved nothing (the baby laughed, yaaay) and wasted the audience's time.

On the topic of manga, obviously the original manga is superior to the anime. GX is fine, it lacks the funnier/more deconstructive elements of the anime but also it treats its extended cast better, so it stands out less but also makes less mistakes than the anime, up to you which you prefer. 5D's is messy and I heard Zexal was awful. Go Rush seems, pardon the pun, very rushed and without any of the anime's charm from what I can tell from YGOWiki.

Outside of the ones connected to the anime, OCG Stories isn't terrible. It's nothing amazing but it's cool to get some lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

While thinking about Arc-V, there's another aspect to it that really bugged me as the show went on: the action fields

In Season 1, the whole action gimmick was fun because every single duel had their own environment field with their own gimmicks and everyone was moving around a set piece in (mostly) interesting ways.

But after that, every single duel except like....the pirate ship episode in the Fusion dimension, was just in a mostly non-descript place and there were generic light platforms scattered around. Lots of just hoping onto a near by platform and that's about it. To an extent, I get it; nowhere else but Standard had the set up for those duels, Synchro world in particular was entirely ride duels, it was probably significantly more involved to plan and animate duels in a series that I believe ran into production issues as it went along, etc

But also man was it lame you know?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

DEH!

Skeleton Mom posted:

character unlock events in duel links offer a bit of an epilogue to a number of these shows, though a lot of them (5Ds especially) are just anime recaps. remember yubel? remember z-one? we're just gonna do that again or show you screenshots from the anime or whatever

not so with arc-v. the arc-v events assume you not only watched the entirety of arc-v, but that you knew how much the ending sucked. most of the character unlocks revolve around the desire to bring back a character through collective memory (think along the lines of the AI yami yugi in dark side of dimensions) and has some really great character moments such as reuniting yuto and shun. though the underlying threat is that, the more people they bring back, the more likely it is they're going to have to fight zarc again

there's a whole vibe of "im sorry im sorry im trying to fix it" that's fascinating

Is there any way to go see all of these events on a youtube or wiki or whatever?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Have any of the mangas been good? Aside from the OG of course.

GX manga is pretty good, Judai and Manjoume are set up well as the protagonists, there's good original characters, it's just a pretty well put-together story with some fun duels. It ends kind of abruptly, though.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The first season of Arc-V is a great setup and gave us the thread title, it also has some real fun duels with some neat twists. Even though the show goes to poo poo, I'd still recommend that first stretch until they move over to the Synchro Dimension, if one is hungering for some more YGO.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Infected posted:

The first season of Arc-V is a great setup and gave us the thread title, it also has some real fun duels with some neat twists. Even though the show goes to poo poo, I'd still recommend that first stretch until they move over to the Synchro Dimension, if one is hungering for some more YGO.

You should watch the Jack vs.Yuya champion run though. It's the best last duel in the show (unless you're into someone pulling out a starter deck and owning the match).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Skeleton Mom posted:

we had the dennis unlock event recently and every character was like "hey, maybe you can help bring ruri and rin back since you're one of the only people who ever interacted with them! (due to the anime writers forgot to make them real characters with their own motivations and arcs)" - everyone except shun, who responded to seeing dennis with more of a "gently caress you. gently caress you. you are responsible for everything bad that ever happened in my life. die."

by the end of the event shun eventually cools down to "you need to make every single person in the xyz dimension who got carded smile again, and if you give up I'll never forgive you", which is still essentially saying he'll never forgive dennis since it's a sisyphean task by design, but dennis accepts those terms. it ends up being a good short story about doing better for its own sake even if making up for what you've done is impossible. a better ending for a one-off event in a video game than arc-v could manage in its entire miserable slog of a boss rush finale

This is pretty nice, wonder if VRAINS will get the same treatment.

Also just remembered Sergei and had a good laugh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

DEH!

Electric Phantasm posted:

SEEEERGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY :negative:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

VRAINS is, in fact, getting the same treatment. those are the only two series where they don't just default to wheeling a tv into the classroom and taking a nap while a few anime episodes play, with a handful of noteworthy exceptions (yugi's grandpa & pegasus getting to actually talk and make amends and realize they have a ton in common was really sweet)

afaik there's not any public archive of event stuff, i know there are some dedicated fans out there transcribing things but i couldn't tell you where any of it goes. probably locked away in some fujoshi's discord server

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rudoku posted:

You should watch the Jack vs.Yuya champion run though. It's the best last duel in the show (unless you're into someone pulling out a starter deck and owning the match).

Arc-V definitely had some of the funniest duels even in the last 2/3rds I'll give it that. Sergei losing a duel because he short circuited for a second causing him to miss the timing was very choice.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

rannum posted:

Arc-V definitely had some of the funniest duels even in the last 2/3rds I'll give it that. Sergei losing a duel because he short circuited for a second causing him to miss the timing was very choice.

Made me remember when Yuya became the first character in the anime to read card text.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember praise for the GX one, mainly that Chazz actually beat Jaden.

Going back to Rival Talk, who even is a Rival in GX seems to be up for question. I said Aster is my favorite but some people say he isn't one. Other say Zane isn't one. Chazz is the most popular and agreed upon Rival...but he always loses so some Rival he is.

Some people say Jesse is a rival but god I hate him so much. He is emblematic of everything wrong with S3. I've heard it's something other series have emulated, too. "Let's introduce a totally new character way into the series and insist that they're the MC's bestest friend."

Meanwhile let's have Aster be obsessed with some girl and Zane, last seen torturing his little brother and cackling about it, is a hero again.

They just had no idea what they were doing with Season 3.

GX goes through its supporting cast like there's a fire sale. Jaden's best friend and rival change every season, to the point where once Jesse is introduced in season 3 you wonder if he even actually likes any of his old friend group. Zane turns more often than the Big Show. Characters pivotal in one season become out of focus jobbers in the next, sometimes before their arc is even resolved. I'm pretty sure Alexis' goals of being a teacher had to be invented for her season 4 Trueman duel justcto give the poor girl something to hang her arc on.

It's a real good show as a character study of Jaden, but tbh I feel like it misses the mark for the rest of its cast.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

DEH!
They at least made some use of that in season 3, one of the arcs for Judai is that he treated Johan as more important than his friends and it got real bad for everybody.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Bee posted:

GX goes through its supporting cast like there's a fire sale. Jaden's best friend and rival change every season, to the point where once Jesse is introduced in season 3 you wonder if he even actually likes any of his old friend group. Zane turns more often than the Big Show. Characters pivotal in one season become out of focus jobbers in the next, sometimes before their arc is even resolved. I'm pretty sure Alexis' goals of being a teacher had to be invented for her season 4 Trueman duel justcto give the poor girl something to hang her arc on.

It's a real good show as a character study of Jaden, but tbh I feel like it misses the mark for the rest of its cast.

Does he really get a new best friend each season, though? That role seems very definitively Syrus'. Syrus is so The Joey that he's also voiced by the same guy in the dub. Also I found this pic just yesterday:

It's true that the side cast fall in and out of relevance a lot - Bastion probably gets it worst overall.

As for Jaden, they clearly had an idea for him with the cards and the Light and Yubel. and his special power. My problem is more that the first two seasons happily applaud Jaden's carefree attitude. Nobody calls him out for being so blase about the main villain moving next door and brainwashing half his friend group and a bunch of other people. Jaden being a slacker dumbass who just wants to have fun is applauded. Then in S3 it's like "no, stop having fun and suffer." He's punished for the same things that made him a great hero originally.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 13, 2024

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

Does he really get a new best friend each season, though? That role seems very definitively Syrus'. Syrus is so The Joey that he's also voiced by the same guy in the dub. Also I found this pic just yesterday:

I'd say Johan absolutely takes Sho's place the moment he joins. He even has the "Jo" in the name to complete the Yujo/Friendship name. That said, he also starts a trend where the protagonist gets a new best friend later in the series (Crow, Bruno, Soulburner).

That chart is neat but also the Rush part of the franchise doesn't stick as closely to the archetypes of the original shows. I'd hardly call Roa Yuga's main rival, in fact, that's Luke's place as the guy Yuga can't surpass in sheer duel skill until the very end. Luke even has the typical rival Dragon deck. He does still serve as Yuga's best friend, as much as you can befriend a guy as Luke as Luke is, anyways. Meanwhile in Go Rush Yuhi and Yuamu were meant to be co-protagonists with Yudias, though Yudias always had more importance and Yuamu kept losing importance to Yuhi until she was written off entirely, to my annoyance.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

DEH!

NikkolasKing posted:

It's true that the side cast fall in and out of relevance a lot - Bastion probably gets it worst overall.

As for Jaden, they clearly had an idea for him with the cards and the Light and Yubel. and his special power. My problem is more that the first two seasons happily applaud Jaden's carefree attitude. Nobody calls him out for being so blase about the main villain moving next door and brainwashing half his friend group and a bunch of other people. Jaden being a slacker dumbass who just wants to have fun is applauded. Then in S3 it's like "no, stop having fun and suffer." He's punished for the same things that made him a great hero originally.

Saiou does call him out for being some a happy little dumbass at the end of season 2. He asks who's worse, a person who sees a piece of litter on the ground and walks by or a person who doesn't notice it. Judai says the person who sees it, Saiou says the person who doesn't notice it is worse, because the person who did can change their mind, come back and pick it up, but the person who didn't notice it never will.

The litter in this analogy being all of Judai's friends souls, obviously.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yuga has enough rivals they literally have rock/paper/scissors match-ups between each-other by the end of the series.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

GX manga is really good other than Chazz, who got butchered so bad it's not even funny.

Lol VRAINS was so bad and unliked they didn't even bother giving it a manga.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd say Johan absolutely takes Sho's place the moment he joins. He even has the "Jo" in the name to complete the Yujo/Friendship name. That said, he also starts a trend where the protagonist gets a new best friend later in the series (Crow, Bruno, Soulburner).

That chart is neat but also the Rush part of the franchise doesn't stick as closely to the archetypes of the original shows. I'd hardly call Roa Yuga's main rival, in fact, that's Luke's place as the guy Yuga can't surpass in sheer duel skill until the very end. Luke even has the typical rival Dragon deck. He does still serve as Yuga's best friend, as much as you can befriend a guy as Luke as Luke is, anyways. Meanwhile in Go Rush Yuhi and Yuamu were meant to be co-protagonists with Yudias, though Yudias always had more importance and Yuamu kept losing importance to Yuhi until she was written off entirely, to my annoyance.

I feel like along with Jesse, Hassleberry also got a huge push in Season 2 for the same role. Heck, it wasn't Syrus turning into a dinosaur and going into space with Neos to save the world. Like, Syrus was still there, but he wasn't like Joey where he was always the clear-cut right hand man and series focus character.

Also agreed with the above poster on Chazz. Sure, he gets to win, but he's also nothing like The Chazz we all know and love.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

DEH!
Cool and competent manga Manjoume is good and I like him.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Syrus gets a huge glow-up in the manga. His match against Chazz is one of the manga's best duels.

The foreign students from Season 3 get shafted, though. Especially Jesse.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Meanwhile in Go Rush Yuhi and Yuamu were meant to be co-protagonists with Yudias, though Yudias always had more importance and Yuamu kept losing importance to Yuhi until she was written off entirely, to my annoyance.

i wouldn't worry too much about yuamu not being important. the main villain of this arc has her voice actress listed as "????" and the only reason they'd do that is if it'd give away something about her

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Skeleton Mom posted:

i wouldn't worry too much about yuamu not being important. the main villain of this arc has her voice actress listed as "????" and the only reason they'd do that is if it'd give away something about her

I'm entirely sure there's something there, don't get me wrong. Dark Meister just so happens to use a dragon deck much like Yuamu (her monsters are technically Galaxy-type but they're very visibly (and called) dragons), her VA is an unknown and Yuamu's VA is still around apparently just for the card presenting part that could be done by Yuga and Yudias alone, the Dark Matter Empire has existed for an improbably short amount of time and they're explicitely not aliens or at least Yuhi's antenna doesn't recognize them as such.

It's still pretty lame to remove Yuamu as a character from the show even if Dark Meister is a corrupted Yuamu. I like Epoch and all but that was Yuamu's place she took, and Yuhi combining their decks is honestly even lamer because it feels like he's removing her from the show. Points to Go Rush for not making it feel like Yuhi's losing his own identity though, since it was already stated and shown that Yuamu's High Tech Dragon deck was his originally, so the combination is still Yuhi's even if it relies on him pulling the Hybridrive stuff out of his rear end to make it work.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRune_r9lY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbZ1wFknKo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know I'm probably thinking too hard about a show which has "humans were at war with vampires back in the day" as the backstory for a throwaway villain, but I never really understood what was up with the Neo-Spacians. Like, Jaden made cards with all of them as a kid, right? So did he wish them into being? Did he know they existed somehow and just painted what he knew existed already?

Also I gotta say, GX Season 1's biggest problem is that Kagemaru has to be the worst villain I've seen in a YGO series. Even among my least favorite seasonal Big Bads, he's at the bottom. As much as I poo poo on S3, Yubel is way better. Yami Marik, despite the fact he only ever won a duel with total bullshit, is superior. I can't even remember his name but the Dad Arclight from Zexal 1 was better.

S1 just had no focus, which led to some phenomenal episodic nonsense, but S2 managed to combine a good main plot with lots of GX random insanity. And that is why it rules.

Also, I just thought of something. 4Kids was done by Zexal or Zexal II, right? What are the English dubs like for the subsequent shows? (I only watch dub cuz of my eyesight)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This video I uploaded a billion years ago to Dailymotion is still up.

This is everything about why GX rules.

Sartorious - a great villain - wins in zero turns, thus obtaining a planetary destruction/brainwashing satellite from some random just now made-up country. Our hero's reaction? To congratulate the villain on a great duel and talk about how exciting it all is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmxGnKolFgk

I even checked the sub. This is all exactly what he says there, more or less. He doesn't specifically mention the satellite, but he does call out to Saiou about the great duel and ends the ep talking about how exciting it all is, apparently oblivious to, or just not caring about, what really just happened.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, I just thought of something. 4Kids was done by Zexal or Zexal II, right? What are the English dubs like for the subsequent shows? (I only watch dub cuz of my eyesight)

I think after a series of lawsuits and bankruptcies they are now a company that just dubs Yugioh?

Either that or the new people who dub it just follow in 4Kids' footsteps complete with all the americanization-isms alongside just untouched names so you have things like Yuzu now being Zuzu Boyle daughter of Skip Boyle alongside Yuya Sakaki remaining....Yuya Sakaki

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

DEH!
The algorithm has been hitting me with the 5D's video essays lately, so, I'm gonna share a couple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOW7rnjRPfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYh_DOA9UOQ

Also a more TCG related one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zD-Y8lm8wk

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And so begins my rewatch of Zexal.

I can see what they were aiming for with Yuma. Jaden is just instantly amazing at dueling. I seem to recall Yusei is similarly insta competent. So they wanted a hero who is just kind of an idealistic dope, who tries and fails a lot, but then slowly starts to mature and learn the game. Fine . But he still comes off as the most boring YGO MC I can recall.

Then again, is Little Yugi particularly cool or likable? Astral is the star as much s Yami Yugi was. Maybe the key is just not to have the "two sides" thing going on, because of course the more mature one will be more popular.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zexal picks up by the time Kaito is introduced and Yuma gets better fairly early on. Zexal as a whole becomes something really cool before too long and (I know I've said this before) I'm glad a lot of people have been revisiting it over the past several years and looking at it again with fresh eyes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Little Yugi is cool.

Part of the Pegasus duel when Yami and Yugi are switching every turn to defeat the mind reading is sweet as hell. Yugioh has gone back to the "split personality/dual protagonist" thing several times but never as well as the OG.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Little Yugi is cool.

Part of the Pegasus duel when Yami and Yugi are switching every turn to defeat the mind reading is sweet as hell. Yugioh has gone back to the "split personality/dual protagonist" thing several times but never as well as the OG.

GX had the potential to do it in a really fascinating way for season 4 with Judai/Yubel, and honestly I thought that's what it was going to be, but it didn't end up happening until the very end. Probably one of the biggest missed opportunities in the entire thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno how I'd feel about them going with Yugi/Yami Yugi dynamic again. Astral is different enough because he has his own body and there's the whole idea that losing a duel will kill him. But still, it's an evolution of the original idea.

But having someone living in the MC's body just like Yami Yugi is kinda going to the well one too many times. Do they really do that with any of the 4 protagonists I know nothing about? Maybe it works better than I'm thinking. As always, the execution is the most important factor.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno how I'd feel about them going with Yugi/Yami Yugi dynamic again. Astral is different enough because he has his own body and there's the whole idea that losing a duel will kill him. But still, it's an evolution of the original idea.

But having someone living in the MC's body just like Yami Yugi is kinda going to the well one too many times. Do they really do that with any of the 4 protagonists I know nothing about? Maybe it works better than I'm thinking. As always, the execution is the most important factor.

Since Yugi/Dark Yugi initiated the franchise, it's not too surprising that all later series (except 5D's, surprisingly enough) have their own takes on it. That said, I do think they're all pretty distinct from each other, and the Rush series omit this entirely.

Anime Yuya has his own unique version of it, where he does have a "dark" side that takes him over but that isn't a character he can actually interact with at first, instead showing himself as more of a berserk, far more dangerous Yuya with glowing red eyes, and something that's genuinely terrifying to everyone involved, closer to Dark Yugi at the start of the manga than the friendly spirit he develops into. Once he actually manifests as a character, he's still not Yuya's friend - he's the big bad of the series, Zarc, a dangerous being that wants to turn every dimension into a bloodbath for entertainment and must be stopped immediately (also broken as poo poo with some of the most boring one-sided duels in the franchise). The situation's also a bit different in how they relate to each other, with Yuya (and his three dimensional counterparts) being fragments of Zarc to begin with.

Manga Yuya also has a take on the Yugi/Dark Yugi dynamic but also pretty different. Yuya himself is still a competent duelist, but can tag out with three other "personalities", the ones that are his dimensional counterparts in the anime (Yuto, Yugo and Yuri), which causes his deck to change to theirs. None of them are specifically written as evil or darker than main Yuya (Yuri's kind of a dick but significantly nicer than his anime counterpart), the darkest thing about them is that Yuya has no idea what caused them to manifest because they constantly erase his memories, and it's to protect him from further pain, as what they actually are are his brothers who lost their bodies protecting him when they had to escape to the past.

Yusaku/Playmaker and Ai actually invert the relationship entirely: Playmaker is all business while Ai is very silly. They're also not directly connected, with Ai being an AI (hence the name) that lives inside Yusaku's Duel Disk to escape his pursuers, though Ai was created from Yusaku in the first place. Playmaker also needs no help with his Duels, being an extremely competent Duelist (100% unbeaten during the show), with Ai instead mostly making funny comments, though he does give him his Speed Duel Skill, Storm Access. During the last arc, after seeing his AI friends all die, Ai breaks off their bond and becomes the big bad of the show, taking on a human appearance and his own deck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yusaku/Playmaker and Ai actually invert the relationship entirely: Playmaker is all business while Ai is very silly. They're also not directly connected, with Ai being an AI (hence the name) that lives inside Yusaku's Duel Disk to escape his pursuers, though Ai was created from Yusaku in the first place. Playmaker also needs no help with his Duels, being an extremely competent Duelist (100% unbeaten during the show), with Ai instead mostly making funny comments, though he does give him his Speed Duel Skill, Storm Access. During the last arc, after seeing his AI friends all die, Ai breaks off their bond and becomes the new main character of the show, taking on a human appearance and his own deck.

:colbert:

I was way more interested in last season Ai and his struggles than anything Yusaku ever had going on in the series.

It's also funny that Yusaku only had two duels in the final season AND ONE OF THEM WAS LARGELY OFF-SCREEN.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjABod0GaDc

Blaze Dragon posted:

Since Yugi/Dark Yugi initiated the franchise, it's not too surprising that all later series (except 5D's, surprisingly enough) have their own takes on it. That said, I do think they're all pretty distinct from each other, and the Rush series omit this entirely.

Anime Yuya has his own unique version of it, where he does have a "dark" side that takes him over but that isn't a character he can actually interact with at first, instead showing himself as more of a berserk, far more dangerous Yuya with glowing red eyes, and something that's genuinely terrifying to everyone involved, closer to Dark Yugi at the start of the manga than the friendly spirit he develops into. Once he actually manifests as a character, he's still not Yuya's friend - he's the big bad of the series, Zarc, a dangerous being that wants to turn every dimension into a bloodbath for entertainment and must be stopped immediately (also broken as poo poo with some of the most boring one-sided duels in the franchise). The situation's also a bit different in how they relate to each other, with Yuya (and his three dimensional counterparts) being fragments of Zarc to begin with.

Manga Yuya also has a take on the Yugi/Dark Yugi dynamic but also pretty different. Yuya himself is still a competent duelist, but can tag out with three other "personalities", the ones that are his dimensional counterparts in the anime (Yuto, Yugo and Yuri), which causes his deck to change to theirs. None of them are specifically written as evil or darker than main Yuya (Yuri's kind of a dick but significantly nicer than his anime counterpart), the darkest thing about them is that Yuya has no idea what caused them to manifest because they constantly erase his memories, and it's to protect him from further pain, as what they actually are are his brothers who lost their bodies protecting him when they had to escape to the past.

Yusaku/Playmaker and Ai actually invert the relationship entirely: Playmaker is all business while Ai is very silly. They're also not directly connected, with Ai being an AI (hence the name) that lives inside Yusaku's Duel Disk to escape his pursuers, though Ai was created from Yusaku in the first place. Playmaker also needs no help with his Duels, being an extremely competent Duelist (100% unbeaten during the show), with Ai instead mostly making funny comments, though he does give him his Speed Duel Skill, Storm Access. During the last arc, after seeing his AI friends all die, Ai breaks off their bond and becomes the big bad of the show, taking on a human appearance and his own deck.

I suppose it makes sense in that GX and 5D's are continuations of DM. As far as I could tell, Zexal and onward are their own separate universes so they can do the Yugi/Dark Yugi thing over again.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Yuya under Zarc's influence atleast gets some good lines. Like the whole sequence with Odd-Eyes Raging Dragon starting with "Insects remain Insects" and then closing off on "There won't be another turn" is just edgy enough that I can appreciate it, without having it veer off into comical villainness.

The first few times that this happens near the end of "season one" are also pretty great just for how unsettling it is to see Yuya switch from his normal demeanor to stone cold killer mode.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The dub gave Zarc the funniest voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AmlUiwRU_w

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

they made him gilbert gottfried

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Big couple of episodes from Go Rush just got subbed, and it seems we're getting into the important parts of this arc. That Dark Meister is actually Yuamu is not exactly a shock, of course, but the rest is more interesting and adds further questions. The Dark Matter Zone has all the disappeared Velgarians in shirt form, Damamu splitting and recombining brought Zwijo back, Dark Meister's leopard is apparently an important character that's protected Yuamu thus far, and there's also CPU who has no memories yet his diary reads like it was written by an amnesiac Zwijo. Whatever Yuamu went through after getting separated from the rest has sent her to a dark road, so we'll see where that goes. Whatever happened, Yuuhi is terrified to learn about it despite not knowing why.

Also Yuuhi's new clothes are so hilariously overblown. Dude's so obsessed with being cool, he truly is a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm so glad someone isolated that track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNI-ivM6Srw

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 27, 2024