Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Little late but as a sprout ask someone in your FC to carry you through Coils for the story and enjoy a set of 130 gear + weapon from final coils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

derra posted:

Little late but as a sprout ask someone in your FC to carry you through Coils for the story and enjoy a set of 130 gear + weapon from final coils.

If you're lucky, your class will be one of the ones where said armor set and weapon loving own, and not one of the ones where it looks like the art team had a collective cerebrovascular event.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Relyssa posted:

True ninjas use the rabbit to greet each other.

not quite as good as You are trying to view Flash content, but you have no Flash plugin installed. that samurai get

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RME posted:

not quite as good as You are trying to view Flash content, but you have no Flash plugin installed. that samurai get

Is there nothing we cannot learn from the wisdom of ancient Doma

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there any limitations on the calamity salvager? Cleaning out my glamour dresser and still nervous about chucking these quest rewards even though I never wear them because "what if I can never get them again? :ohdear:"

Also where do I get extra 80 and 90 AF gear? Just the same place I got them the first time?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also where do I get extra 80 and 90 AF gear? Just the same place I got them the first time?

Yes. If you don't have them in your inventory you can pick up another set from those NPCs for free.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there any limitations on the calamity salvager? Cleaning out my glamour dresser and still nervous about chucking these quest rewards even though I never wear them because "what if I can never get them again? :ohdear:"

From what I understand there's no unique item that you can't reacquire in some way if you, say, hawk it for company seals.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Mudras are much easier than they look until you hit level 70 and get Ten Chi Jin (where mudra-by-mudra building order actually matters). Once you've gotten two principles down, the memorization is very simple:
  • There are no mudra sequences that use two of the same mudra. There's no Ten-Ten, no Jin-Chi-Jin, etc. Every sequence you do should use a different mudra on each step.
  • Every skill corresponds to one combination of a) mudra number and b) ending mudra. If you hit two mudras and the last one is Jin, you will always get the same skill out; it doesn't matter what the first mudra is. All you need to know to use the right ninjutsu is a) whether it's a two- or three-mudra ninjutsu and b) what mudra it ends on.
If you're doing a two-mudra ninjutsu, you just have to avoid the ending mudra for your first pick. Easy. If you're doing a three-mudra ninjutsu, you just have to pick the two that aren't your ending mudra first.

As for memorizing which ninjutsu goes with which ending mudra, well, Ten = wind/fire, Chi = earth/lightning, and Jin = water/ice. If you need an extra aid then you can remind yourself that fire needs air to burn (so your ending mudra for fire jutsu is wind, Ten), lightning ends when it hits the ground (so your ending mudra for lightning jutsu is earth, Chi), and ice is a form of water (so your ending mudra for ice is the one that isn't wind or earth, Jin). That's how I do it, anyway, YMMV. :shrug:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol that is quite the mnemonic. if it helps you then more power to you.

i just took the brute force approach and beat on a dummy for several hours to get them in my muscle memory

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One frustration I have with the crafting system is they'll tell you where reagents that can be gathered are found, but not ones that you get off of enemies. (Well, that and fish.) Obviously there's the Market Board but some of the stuff at levels 45-50 has me thinking "Well okay it's probably not in Ishgard, but I've been through Mor Dhona a ton and never recall getting this"

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

One frustration I have with the crafting system is they'll tell you where reagents that can be gathered are found, but not ones that you get off of enemies. (Well, that and fish.) Obviously there's the Market Board but some of the stuff at levels 45-50 has me thinking "Well okay it's probably not in Ishgard, but I've been through Mor Dhona a ton and never recall getting this"

I've started using this website when focusing on crafting exactly because the in-game tools lack a few things https://www.garlandtools.org/db/

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

for what it’s worth that’s why having a combat job retainer is convenient. Way easier to send your retainer on a quick venture to get something while you do a dungeon or gather the other stuff

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Some of the rarer monster-specific drops are now obtainable for company seals from your GC, as well. This is especially helpful in 50+ crafting, as several of the Heavensward recipes require what were previously crazy rare drops from stuff like Wanderer's Palace that were nearly impossible to farm.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah, they turned off dungeon mob item drops in like Stormblood I think. The idea is retainers would get some of those items and GC seals for the rest.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Arist posted:

Yes. If you don't have them in your inventory you can pick up another set from those NPCs for free.

Which means you can give one set to your battle retainer(s) and then grab another one for yourself

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mod question:

Using the TexTools item converter function, I switched the Aglaia casting set to look like the Aglaia maiming set. This seems to have worked fine. However, it also makes the Aglaia healing set look like the Aglaia striking set and I can't figure out why. Anyone have any ideas?

Steps I went through to do this:
Tools > Item Converter
Select the maiming item as Source
Select the casting item as Destination
Uncheck "make all destination variants identical"
Check "create modpack for affected items"
Convert

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I know EW got rid of the triple turn-ins for leves, but are there any that are still considered worth spamming, assuming you already have everything at 90?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

I know EW got rid of the triple turn-ins for leves, but are there any that are still considered worth spamming, assuming you already have everything at 90?

Tsai tou Vounou turnins are about the only ones still worth doing, from what I know. Ingredients are pretty cheap (or at least easy to mass gather) and you get about 10k per HQ turnin. It's not fabulous money like Biscuits, and you probably won't turn much of a profit crafting and selling HQ versions for people to turn in, but you can do 6 of them every day as CUL pretty trivially and have some solid steady income.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Welp the Vath are done, let's get started on the Moog - I'm sorry how many quests do I need to do first?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
if you simply had the foresight to be playing during heavensward, you would have all those quests cleared out because the exp scaling for msq at the time was sparse enough to only get you to 60 if you cleaned out all the sidequests from every zone on your msq job

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Is there any reason (aside from the races and classes) to purchase the game when you're still in the free trial level range?

I decided to start a fresh save on PS after finishing Shadowbringers years ago on PC and I'm curious about when I should pick up Endwalker and the prior expansions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

Is there any reason (aside from the races and classes) to purchase the game when you're still in the free trial level range?

I decided to start a fresh save on PS after finishing Shadowbringers years ago on PC and I'm curious about when I should pick up Endwalker and the prior expansions.

Gil limits and the mb I guess? That probably only matters if you really care about DoH/DoL classes though.

Edit: oh yeah that's also an option VVV

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 29, 2022

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

If you're purchasing the game why wouldn't you tie it to your old character?

Free trial limits you to 300k gil, restricts communication and party formation in various ways, and locks you from retainers.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Algid posted:

If you're purchasing the game why wouldn't you tie it to your old character?

Free trial limits you to 300k gil, restricts communication and party formation in various ways, and locks you from retainers.

Unfortunately, my PS account and PC accounts were bound to separate emails. I couldn't figure out a way to merge my PS account over to the PC (it wouldn't let me use the same email many years ago) and so the two just don't touch. Dumb, but there it is.

I decided I just wanted to start fresh with a controller and with a re-learn of all the systems and metaplot rather than diving face-first back into the game after two years away. Some might see it as a waste, but I've enjoyed powering through so far. Controller is surprisingly flexible and easy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Memnaelar posted:

I decided I just wanted to start fresh with a controller and with a re-learn of all the systems and metaplot rather than diving face-first back into the game after two years away. Some might see it as a waste, but I've enjoyed powering through so far. Controller is surprisingly flexible and easy.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to play the whole game again after two years away. The usual MMO mentality of levelling being a chore that you never want to sit through again doesn't really apply to FFXIV. Even if it does have its boring/bad stretches it's a very long JRPG rather than a tedious grinder.

The free trial restrictions are very easy to live with so there's no pressing reason to buy until you start running out of content. It's a great excuse to explore everything in the old 50 and 60 endgame content without a sub ticking down. The lack of market board access makes crafting more useful and more interesting to play imo. You've got a gil limit but not much to spend it on, so that's fine. You can get all the best gear in your level range with other currencies.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Arrived in the final zone of heavensward today, and everything from the conversation with Edmont through to arriving there was great storytelling!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Welp the Vath are done, let's get started on the Moog - I'm sorry how many quests do I need to do first?

Lol yeah it sucks. I’d started the chain without remembering like 4 years ago so I had the added fun of spending 15 minutes going through the wiki and my quest logs trying to figure out what I had left

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I just finished Heavensward (3.0). Hell yeah, this game rules! Great boss battle.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

While I agree with the general sentiment of skipping the level 60 scrip gear, I'd say make an exception for Botanist because it's a really cute set.

My hat has a bird in it! :buddy:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Arrived in the final zone of heavensward today, and everything from the conversation with Edmont through to arriving there was great storytelling!

Good to know it picks up again because I was really engaged from the Dragon part to the part where the archduke flees.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 30, 2022

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Tag spoilers plz

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You're still spoiling the order of events.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

As well as anything else people manage to extrapolate from that. Edit: for example, (HW and post quests spoiler) the fact that your first Nidhogg kill isn't the end of the core expansion story, and all of the things that might mean! :ssh: Also the fact that the pope is a baddy at all is a spoiler, lol.

You're spending more effort trying to be cute and passive aggressively split hairs than it would take you to use the "just tag and label it all" spoiler method above, as described like one page ago. What's the point? :iiam:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 30, 2022

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

A nice little touch I only noticed right at the tail end of heavensward was Tataru hanging out in the bar and making herself multiple new to outfits teach herself tailoring.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Okay, sorry.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, sorry.

:ohdear: It's cool, sorry for being touchy about it.

Roach Warehouse posted:

A nice little touch I only noticed right at the tail end of heavensward was Tataru hanging out in the bar and making herself multiple new to outfits teach herself tailoring.

I can't remember if it was ARR or HW, but at some point I saw her practicing knife-juggling?! I'm still waiting for that to come into play, lol.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

:ohdear: It's cool, sorry for being touchy about it.

I can't remember if it was ARR or HW, but at some point I saw her practicing knife-juggling?! I'm still waiting for that to come into play, lol.

Yeah that was ARR patch content, also very cool. From what I understand there used to be a much lengthier subplot about her trying to find her calling, as a miner, a singer, a juggler etc. seems like all is left is a few background acts, and the arcanist quest.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Roach Warehouse posted:

Yeah that was ARR patch content, also very cool. From what I understand there used to be a much lengthier subplot about her trying to find her calling, as a miner, a singer, a juggler etc. seems like all is left is a few background acts, and the arcanist quest.

Yeah it's an unfortunate tragedy of the excision of certain quests to make the ARR patches shorter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah it's an unfortunate tragedy of the excision of certain quests to make the ARR patches shorter.

That whole thing was a slog, but some people make the mistake of thinking it was an empty slog with obvious stuff to get rid of. I don't think there's anything they should've cut instead of the things they did, but it's still those little bits of character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bruceski posted:

That whole thing was a slog, but some people make the mistake of thinking it was an empty slog with obvious stuff to get rid of. I don't think there's anything they should've cut instead of the things they did, but it's still those little bits of character.

They could have drastically reduced "oh sorry, that's the wrong kind of crystal"