Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

I remember when I did the CIG tour, the NDA document was a doozy.

E: Critter Taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Rugganovich posted:

I remember when I did the CIG tour, the NDA document was a doozy.

Did you know the entire contract was written out, down to the tiniest text where they used a single bone from a sparrow rib.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

Oh great, the jerk's remaking Terror from the loving Deep.

Like I'm not broken enough.

Yeah, i like he went there. Hopefully these fuckers are too big to hide in a closet.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Just block anyone that mentions a block list. Be sure to explain this policy in your sig. Also include a list of your victims as a virtual-heads-on-stakes style warning to others.

There’s a system for this god drat it.

Blocked.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

/r/games no less

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/76d5e9/star_citizen_squadron_42_will_not_make_it_in_this/

It’s not a home crowd.

Hav fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 15, 2017

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Hav posted:

Jane's Longbow had a pretty good persistant campaign, and F19 would tend to simulate 'the war', but they tended to be patchy. I quite like the model that keeps the persistant universe separate, then uses that to generate a 'mission' that you run, then the results feed back into the simulation. It doesn't entirely work because of the relative non-squishiness of the player versus the enemy. Real world kill ratios against material should be used here, but if the simulation is running on 'easy', that can skew the persistant simulation.

I've spent a non-zero amount of time on this because being part of a larger war is the _fun_, as I can see it. The X3 games were pretty drat good at this, mainly abstracting the sectors down into a bunch of numbers and results over time. Litcube's is even better because the threats are tiered. Once you've gotten past the random pirates, there's an enemy corporation out for your blood. After that, there's a Xenon invasion to deal with.

Ultimately, you have to put the conditions in place that allow for emergence in the sandbox, or you have to supply the impetus or reason for having a carrier. This is one of the more abstract things that I haven't really dug into because the complete paucity of working netcode and the host/client model is so damned hosed up.

Seriously, there's a non-zero number of capital ships out there that are going to end up grinding missions because that's what's available. They believe that it's going to give them a gank-proof advantage in game, which effectively cuts the vanguard owners off at the knees; There's a massive gap between the current 'flight model' and coming up with something that 'blows away other MMOs'.

And you've reminded me that I need to reinstall BMS.

Havoc vs Apache (IIRC) had a dynamic campaign. Thing a lot of people forget was that Falcon 4.0 was released and in the $15 bargain bin within months of release (that's where I found it). The Dynamic Campaign was completely broken too. It wasn't until the source code was leaked and the community took it over that it got fixed and turned into what it is today via the progressions of FreeFalcon, OpenFalcon, and Benchmark Sims.

Oh and if people want to fly DCS or BMS let me know.

But the thing about DCS has always been: "What do you mean by that? DCS encompasses very casual friendly aircraft such as Flaming Cliffs 3 all the way to study quality cockpits that exceed USAF requirements for training."

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Variable 5 posted:

Ben though

I said solid not squishy...

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I will leave the rest to the screen shot archivists.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Havoc vs Apache (IIRC) had a dynamic campaign. Thing a lot of people forget was that Falcon 4.0 was released and in the $15 bargain bin within months of release (that's where I found it). The Dynamic Campaign was completely broken too. It wasn't until the source code was leaked and the community took it over that it got fixed and turned into what it is today via the progressions of FreeFalcon, OpenFalcon, and Benchmark Sims.

Oh and if people want to fly DCS or BMS let me know.

But the thing about DCS has always been: "What do you mean by that? DCS encompasses very casual friendly aircraft such as Flaming Cliffs 3 all the way to study quality cockpits that exceed USAF requirements for training."

Falcon 4.0 was a shambles on release, it was the first game I remember requiring a fairly large patch for the time - no chance on dialup, had to get a friend to download it on a T1 line.

Multiplayer on a LAN was unstable and the simplified radars were buggy as hell. The patch even included graphics and assets.

I had indeed forgotten all that.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

From a thread about getting Neill Blomkamp to direct a film made with SC's "engine" lol

quote:

Mostly, they were considered good films just didn't make box office bank.

Wc being a box office bomb but a enjoyable b movie classic.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

From a thread about getting Neill Blomkamp to direct a film made with SC's "engine" lol

space_bulldozer.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

vyst posted:

I'm loving with people in one of those Reddit threads. Feels good man

Which one? Half of the place is is panic mode

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Only half?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

trucutru posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/76eu7f/what_the_hell_is_going_on_with_the_refunds/

This is where i've posted up

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Big Trouble in Little China is a box office bomb but enjoyable b movie cult (lol) classic.

Wing Commander is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The movie or the games? Because that's the thing that always baffles me. The franchise that launched this whole thing isn't even uniquely great.

They were just ok games. And a bad movie.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Both I guess!

Although the games clearly have their fans, I can't say I've ever been overly impressed with them either.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Thing is elite has a decently solid core that needs gameplay added. Star citizen doesn’t even have a solid core

As the T-1000 demonstrated, a non-solid core is superior.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

trucutru posted:

As the T-1000 demonstrated, a non-solid core is superior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-HDUBbtgQ

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The one in r/games is pretty fun too. Only 3 shitizens or so have dared those waters, so the rest can only post on the thread bitching about that thread.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

700 hours on record Not Recommended.

Was okay at first but I don't know somewhere after the 500th hour it started to feel samey. Not worth 20 bucks, for that kind of money I want to be permanently entertained.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

None of that is relevant. I'm not in this for glory. It was a bad call for her to have even agreed to do an interview. And I'm only part of this because I was the one who tweeted her tweet, which then caused those rear end-clowns on /r/ds to start a ruckus over it. So no matter how you look at it, I was in fact involved. And what's why I expressed my God given right to comment on it. If I wasn't involved, I wouldn't give a poo poo.

If God gave you those rights, I'm ready to be an atheist.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Does bread dream of electric toast?

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

ManofManyAliases posted:

:ughh:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ManofManyAliases posted:

You like actually believe in god? Explains a lot...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Both I guess!

Although the games clearly have their fans, I can't say I've ever been overly impressed with them either.

My friend and I have our own movie rating scale and Big Trouble is what we use as the 5 mark on a scale 1-10. One being Night Of A Thousand Cats and 10 being Empire Strikes Back.

Wing Commander is a 2

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thoatse posted:

My friend and I have our own movie rating scale and Big Trouble is what we use as the 5 mark on a scale 1-10. One being Night Of A Thousand Cats and 10 being Empire Strikes Back.

Wing Commander is a 2

Big Trouble in Little China deserves better than a five, you monster.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
God really did gently caress up on that whole "free will" thing. loving idiot.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

"You dont see a spike midway through september? (121 people subbed in a single day, vs 5-10)"

Now, why would that happen?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Zest posted:

As usual, SomethingJones, you've struck at the heart of the issue: Elite has plainly obvious potential for novel gameplay experience, but it's being squandered by the same broke-brained obsession with fidelity and simulationism seen in Star Citizen, just with a competent development team. I adore the attention and polish Frontier put into the flight model and galaxy, but they only have the skeleton of an actual game in place. More than CIG, sure, but it's still hampered by development focusing on fluff and polish when they should be iterating more on core gameplay loops and player interactions.

Frankly, I just want a contemporary Open-world style Freespace 2 / Freelancer hybrid. Elite Dangerous's flight model and galaxy size with EvE's trading system and some basic quality of life mechanics to support it.

EDIT: gently caress it, gimme first person HOTAS EvE/SPAZ

This is a good post.

Elite will never be a good game because Frontier isn't interested in it making a game. They made an amazing something simulator, but in terms of entertainment and replay value, you'd be wont to squander such brilliant core tech harder than Elite does.

I get it when people say they enjoy it, there's plenty there to enjoy, and I'm not saying anyone should dis-enjoy it on account of my opinion. I just see it as a huge waste.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Sillybones posted:

"You dont see a spike midway through september? (121 people subbed in a single day, vs 5-10)"

Now, why would that happen?

Gamescom was in August?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Toops posted:

This is a good post.

Elite will never be a good game because Frontier isn't interested in it making a game. They made an amazing something simulator, but in terms of entertainment and replay value, you'd be wont to squander such brilliant core tech harder than Elite does.

I get it when people say they enjoy it, there's plenty there to enjoy, and I'm not saying anyone should dis-enjoy it on account of my opinion. I just see it as a huge waste.

On the other hand, Elite is (nearly) exactly what was pitched. It is a modern remake of the original Elite idea. Of course, in the meantime games have evolved to a completely new art form. "Pong" would nowadays be classified as a tech demo or "vertical slice", not a game, similar to original Elite.

I can understand you and everyone who says that E:D is not a perfect game, because Frontier and Brabham went a different route for a remake (in contrast to something like Metroid Returns for example). At least he did not step into the same trap as Crobberts did and decided he has to remake the old game concept by overloading it with everything modern games offer.

Imo, Frontier delivered what they promised. A modern version in regards to graphics, controls etc. of a very, very old game. I backed another Kickstarter where I hoped they'd do the same, the System Shock 1 remake, and currently I am loosing faith in wether they understood why people backed and what they actually pitched when I see the (little) updates they provide. The thing is, the System Shock 1 remake might become a better game for the general audience/gamer, but could dissappoint those who wanted to relive their childhood memories. Then again, there is more money to make from the modern audience than from some old guys like me. At least if you disregard something like SC ;)

TL;DR: Frontier made what they pitched: a very old game (which would get critized nowadays, of course) with modern technology, instead of a modern game in the same universe as a very old game

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thoatse posted:

Wing Commander is a 2
There's a lot of things wrong with your scale.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

There's a lot of things wrong with your scale.

I will fite you

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Calling stuff "broke-brained" or a "waste" because it doesn't appeal to your own subjective taste is pretty silly.

"Sure some people enjoy Euro Truck Simulator but their enjoyment is stupid and invalid because me personally I enjoy Twisted Metal so it was clearly a huge wasteful oversight that the ETS devs did not include missiles."

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Chin posted:

Calling stuff "broke-brained" or a "waste" because it doesn't appeal to your own subjective taste is pretty silly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chin posted:

it was clearly a huge wasteful oversight that the ETS devs did not include missiles."
It still is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tuo posted:

Imo, Frontier delivered what they promised. A modern version in regards to graphics, controls etc. of a very, very old game. I backed another Kickstarter where I hoped they'd do the same, the System Shock 1 remake, and currently I am loosing faith in wether they understood why people backed and what they actually pitched when I see the (little) updates they provide. The thing is, the System Shock 1 remake might become a better game for the general audience/gamer, but could dissappoint those who wanted to relive their childhood memories. Then again, there is more money to make from the modern audience than from some old guys like me. At least if you disregard something like SC ;)

What in particular has you feeling this way?