Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sporadic posted:

Hang 'Em High - $4
(look under "more buying choices" if you don't see it from Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TJ1GYW...G6R5YP7ASAHKGCG

Ordered. Thanks. Hope this is a good movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Star Trek movies 1-6 set is the gold box deal of the day, $35 if anyone is interested.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Has anyone ever bought a gift card from Criterion.com before? I'd like to get one, but paying their shipping fee on a $50 gift card seems retarded when I miss the free ship discount by a penny. Odd that there isn't a workaround for that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Red posted:

Has anyone ever bought a gift card from Criterion.com before? I'd like to get one, but paying their shipping fee on a $50 gift card seems retarded when I miss the free ship discount by a penny. Odd that there isn't a workaround for that.

You could try sending them an e-mail.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So us Region B people are finally getting Evil Dead 2 with greatly improved video... but no loving subtitles.

I know this might not be a problem for some people, but is an absolute pet peeve of mine. It's like the bare minimum of what you can add when it comes to home video releases and when you don't loving do it, I don't loving buy it.

I mean, why not? Why put it on the dvd but when you bring it out on bluray just go 'Eh, the subtitles are a non-vital extra. Scrap it.'

It's especially bullshit on a fantastic movie like Dead Man's Shoes where most of the characters talk in an accent that might be difficult to understand for some.

Sometimes I just want to know exactly what is being said in a movie.

Ugh.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com reports The Producers is coming on July 2 from Shout! Factory.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So the giant Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase One boxset shipped out this week. My fiancee and I got ours today (I apologize for the crappy photo quality, low light + Galaxy Nexus is not a good formula for good photos):

No, the bobbleheads didn't come with it, but I figured it made sense to display them in front anyway.

The discs themselves are identical to their non-boxed versions, which means that the Incredible Hulk has the crappy photoshop image on it while the rest of them are the generic Marvel blue with the movie's name on it. The on-disc bonus features are the same as their singularly sold counterpars, but there's an extra disc featuring extra deleted scenes and clips of the animatics and previz for all the movies, which I thought was pretty neat. The slipcase art for the movies are totally awesome Bass-esque drawings (I think they were posted in the thread when the set was first announced).

The box itself is pretty cool, but is a little cheap (to be honest, I've seen higher-quality Happy Meals toys). The inside is just a layer of plastic with a molded keypad, some graphics mimicing the briefcase interior from The Avengers, and slots for the discs and the Tesseract--which is actually just a cube of semi-opaque white plastic with LEDs that flash on and off after you whack it against something. The case itself has blue LEDs in it which light up the tesseract and the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo when it's open. There's also a button on the top that will light up the logo when the case is closed; I'm pushing it in the photo above.

Finally, there's the "debriefing files" which contain documents, photos, and objects from the movies. There's some really cool stuff in there: Thor's hospital wristband, replicas of the transparencies from the first Iron Man movie, and a blueprint of the Arc Reactor that we're considering hanging up in our apartment which almost make up for the lack of additional bonus features (my special edition of Iron Man had an hour long documentary following the production of the movie; I would have loved a similar one for The Avengers, but oh well). There's also a decoder key and a S.H.I.E.L.D. ID badge which are used to go to a special website, which is essentially a teaser trailer for the first few Phase Two movies, but nothing I didn't really know already. I'm sure someone's ripped it and put it on YouTube already. The interesting thing about the ID badge is it's actually made out of real plastic (compared to the other badges and cards in the set, which are thick posterboard), features a nice textured pattern and, interestingly enough, a barcode; part of me is hoping that the ID card will amount to something (admission to an early screening of IM3, maybe? Heh, yeah right) but I doubt it.

All said and done, I'm glad we bought the set, though I wish I had the briefcase edition of Blade Runner to display next to it. Guess the Avengers bobbleheads will do for now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

lelandjs posted:

There's also a decoder key and a S.H.I.E.L.D. ID badge which are used to go to a special website, which is essentially a teaser trailer for the first few Phase Two movies, but nothing I didn't really know already. I'm sure someone's ripped it and put it on YouTube already.

You can watch it here, if anyone's interested.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

morestuff posted:

You could try sending them an e-mail.

Hello,

Thanks for your note! There is no shipping charge on gift certificates. You can have it emailed to the recipient or mailed to them, or both! Or we can mail it to you and you can give the gift yourself. Please see the instructions below.

If you’d like to complete the “To,” “From,” and “Gift Message” fields, we’ll personalize the gift certificate using that information. But if you prefer to fill it in yourself (or remain anonymous!), simply leave those areas blank.

If you enter an e-mail address for the recipient, we’ll send the gift certificate code in an e-mail, so they can start shopping right away. If you enter a street address for the recipient, they’ll also receive a handwritten gift card in the mail.

If you’d like your gift to be a surprise, leave the e-mail section blank, and we’ll send the gift certificate code to your account e-mail address. If you want to give them a gift card as well, you must enter your own street address above and we will mail it to you.

All best,
Susan

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Fast Five with a toy car dropped down to $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00669FHX4...AKCE6ACFEDM6Z64

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is the next big restoration to come out from the Murnau Foundation. The new digital restoration is premiering at the Berlin Film Festival next year according to Blu-Ray.com. Last year it was Die Niebelungen and 2010 was Metropolis. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10871

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is the next big restoration to come out from the Murnau Foundation. The new digital restoration is premiering at the Berlin Film Festival next year according to Blu-Ray.com. Last year it was Die Niebelungen and 2010 was Metropolis. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10871

Best news I've ever heard.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Apparently Jurassic Park 3D is getting a blu release pretty soon.
I heard that the transfer from the JP Trilogy boxset was pretty soft, I wonder whether the 2D disc in the 3D set will be a new transfer they did for the conversion, or just the old transfer?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hatter106 posted:

I heard that the transfer from the JP Trilogy boxset was pretty soft, I wonder whether the 2D disc in the 3D set will be a new transfer they did for the conversion, or just the old transfer?

April 23.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hatter106 posted:

It's been confirmed to be the old transfer, unfortunately. The 3D transfer though is meant to look incredible.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

PriorMarcus posted:

It's been confirmed to be the old transfer, unfortunately. The 3D transfer though is meant to look incredible.

It looked very nice in the cinema, except the 3D itself is completely pointless. I counted maybe two moments (apart from the subtitles) that had any further depth to them. Post conversion 3D really has zero redeeming qualities.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Lizard Combatant posted:

It looked very nice in the cinema, except the 3D itself is completely pointless. I counted maybe two moments (apart from the subtitles) that had any further depth to them. Post conversion 3D really has zero redeeming qualities.

You are a crazy person.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Geekboy posted:

You are a crazy person.

I am?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it full on post conversion or do they have the original model files to render it out properly, like Toy Story etc?

They re-released it in 2D in the UK last year, did they do that Stateside? Seems a bit pointless with the 3D release this year but I missed it anyway. Haven't seen it since it originally came out, so looking forward.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The pHo posted:

Is it full on post conversion or do they have the original model files to render it out properly, like Toy Story etc?

They re-released it in 2D in the UK last year, did they do that Stateside? Seems a bit pointless with the 3D release this year but I missed it anyway. Haven't seen it since it originally came out, so looking forward.

No, the 2D release was just in the UK to coincide with the blu-ray trilogy release, America never got that.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Think we'll get a The Beach/A Life Less Ordinary/Millions box set (a-la the Coen Bros. set) sometime in the future? Seems like Fox doesn't give a poo poo about those movies, but bundling them together would probably get them some business.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

The pHo posted:

There were rather few CG effects in the film (and most were combined with animatronics) so I doubt the answer to that will particularly change how the 3D looks.

There wasn't a separate transfer but the JP films did get individual disc releases back in March, so you don't have to buy either the 3D version or the trilogy to just get 2D JP if that's what you're after.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
John Wayne triple pack

The Cowboys/The Green Berets/The Searchers - $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NQORJO...1HH6SDD53PDD9XN

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

John Wayne triple pack

The Cowboys/The Green Berets/The Searchers - $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NQORJO...1HH6SDD53PDD9XN

In the same vein,

Body Heat/L.A. Confidential/The Player - $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NPYP24...B5C500WM37ZRDQC

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So I noticed that they're coming out with a new version of Ghostbusters 'mastered in 4k'. Is this just another double dipping situation or might this actually look better than the existing Blu?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BitterAvatar posted:

So I noticed that they're coming out with a new version of Ghostbusters 'mastered in 4k'. Is this just another double dipping situation or might this actually look better than the existing Blu?

Well the current one looks like poo poo, so it won't be hard to improve on it. Also the cinema release is got a while back (UK only I think) was using a much better transfer, so there is hope.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BitterAvatar posted:

I think it's a double dip situation. Sony has been mastering their transfers in 4K for awhile now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

I think it's a double dip situation. Sony has been mastering their transfers in 4K for awhile now.

Well the problem with the original transfer was that they played with the contrast to try and fix some issues but it ended up making the grain overly cloudy. This also, apparently, led to the purple tint being toned down.

Now that transfer was done for HD-DVD, and all signs are pointing towards this being a newer transfer from the same imperfect source - however, if they have learned their lesson and put more care into correcting that sources issues, then it could look a lot better, depending, I guess, on how you define better (purple tint issue, grain, etc).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PriorMarcus posted:

Well the problem with the original transfer was that they played with the contrast to try and fix some issues but it ended up making the grain overly cloudy. This also, apparently, led to the purple tint being toned down.

Now that transfer was done for HD-DVD, and all signs are pointing towards this being a newer transfer from the same imperfect source - however, if they have learned their lesson and put more care into correcting that sources issues, then it could look a lot better, depending, I guess, on how you define better (purple tint issue, grain, etc).

yeah, i think you're thinking of the wrong movie

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

yeah, i think you're thinking of the wrong movie

Ghostbusters. Why do you think I'm thinking of the wrong movie?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

PriorMarcus posted:

Ghostbusters. Why do you think I'm thinking of the wrong movie?

Probably the HD-DVD mention; Ghostbusters the film is owned by Sony Pictures who would not put out a HD-DVD, as Sony was rather invested in Blu-ray, and further the disc was released more than a year after Toshiba threw in the towel and dissolved the HD-DVD group.

The current transfer is surmised to be an adjusted version of the 2005 remaster, to tone down the blown-out contrast of the DVD. I don't think it's horrible, merely acceptable, and I'd be interested to see a new transfer. Not sure how likely I am to double-dip though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PriorMarcus posted:

Well the current one looks like poo poo, so it won't be hard to improve on it. Also the cinema release is got a while back (UK only I think) was using a much better transfer, so there is hope.

I saw Ghostbusters in 70mm on IMAX in the late 80s. It looked loving amazing, so bring on the remaster.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Tracking down Jurassic park on 3d blu was not easy, but it was so worth it. I know it's a conversion, but it actually looks better on the small screen then some movies shot in 3d.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Fast And Furious 1-5 bundle is the gold box today at Amazon. Only $37.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFZBMDS...7S5BNTFDF2QJM4W

:rice:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

So apparently Warner Bros. is releasing a 'Best of Warner Bros. 50 Film Collection' in one huge $400 box set, with 50 of their most popular/classic films in one huge set :psyduck:

quote:

The Largest-Ever Blu-Ray Collection! Warner Bros. continues to entertain the world with films passionately produced, selectively acquired, carefully preserved and impeccably curated for both the casual and ultimate movie lover to enjoy forever.
50 Movies Including 16 of Warner Bros. Library’s Best Picture™ Winners on 52 Discs, Presented in Book Style Premium Packaging. Plus two all-new documentaries: Tales from the Warner Bros. Lot and The Warner Bros. Lot Tour. With hours of commentaries, behind-the-scenes featurettes and more on select films. Also includes a limited edition 27” x 40” poster, plus a postcard series of Warner Bros. movie posters designed by legendary Bill Gold. Look for these movie-poster titles on DVD. *Best Picture™ winner 1. Grand Hotel* (1932)
2. Mutiny on the Bounty* (1935)
3. Wizard of Oz (1939)
4. Gone with The Wind* (1939)
5. Maltese Falcon, The (1941)
6. Mrs. Miniver* (1942)
7. Casablanca* (1942)
8. Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The (1948)
9. Streetcar Named Desire, A (1951)
10. American in Paris, An* (1951)
11. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
12. Gigi(1958)
13. North By Northwest (1959)
14. Ben-Hur* (1959)
15. How the West Was Won (1962)
16. Doctor Zhivago (1965)
17. Cool Hand Luke (1967)
18. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
19. Bullitt (1968)
20. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (1971)
21. Dirty Harry (1971)
22. Clockwork Orange, A (1972)
23. Exorcist, The (1973)
24. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest* (1975)
25. Superman, The Movie (1977)
26. Shining, The (1980)
27. Chariots of Fire* (1981)
28. Risky Business (1983)
29. Amadeus* (1984)
30. Color Purple, The (1985)
31. Lethal Weapon (1987)
32. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
33. Driving Miss Daisy* (1989)
34. Goodfellas (1990)
35. Unforgiven* (1992)
36. Bodyguard, The(1992)
37. Natural Born Killers (Director's Cut) (1994)
38. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
39. Matrix, The (1999)
40. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)
41. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
42. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
43. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King* (2003)
44. Million Dollar Baby* (2005)
45. Departed, The* (2006)
46. Dark Knight, The (2008)
47. Blind Side, The (2009)
48. Hangover, The (2009)
49. Sherlock Holmes (2009)
50. Inception (2010)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Universal did this a while back... it's a complete jumble that satisfies no one.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-100...ction+universal

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Actually that Warner's lineup is pretty awesome... I guess partly because they also have a lot of great MGM films

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

Universal did this a while back... it's a complete jumble that satisfies no one.

I guess it would be cool if you just bought into Blu-Ray and were looking for a collection out the gate but what a weird selection. Only one Harry Potter movie? Dark Knight? The Hangover? Sherlock Holmes? No Citizen Kane or The African Queen?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
It's actually a good selection of some of Warner's best material, and might be good for someone just starting into buying them. The issue for me is that even as someone who started my Bluray collection pretty late in the cycle, I already own most of the titles in there that I would want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I should have quoted Universal's collection, which is ridiculous... allow me to correct this:

quote:

· Despicable Me

· Mamma Mia! The Movie

· The Bourne Identity

· The Fast and the Furious

· Apollo 13

· Dracula (Spanish Version)

· Jurassic Park

· Do the Right Thing

· Field of Dreams

· Out of Africa

· Back to the Future

· The Breakfast Club

· Scarface

· E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

· National Lampoon's Animal House

· Jaws

· The Sting

· American Graffiti

· The Birds

· To Kill a Mockingbird

· Spartacus

· Pillow Talk

· Buck Privates

· Dracula

· All Quiet on the Western Front

It seems incredibly random to me, but perhaps I just hate Mamma Mia! that much.

• Locked thread