Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like Veronica, actually? Serena is pretty boring, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hendrik (spoiler for last team member) kinda grew on me over the course of the game. Mostly because he has absolutely no social skills, and it leads to some funny situations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I like everyone in the party a whole lot. So far I feel like Jade is kind of the weakest link because she's just kinda stoic and boring.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Erg posted:

Veronica’s dominant personality traits being strong sense of justice and ANGRY, owns actually

Like yeah, she’s super blustery but she’s also the moral compass of the party, and balances out the extreme amounts of chill Serena has.

Her dominant traits are being a dumb rear end in a top hat to everyone around her, having a wildly undeserved opinion of herself, and also possessing exactly 3 animations that she does in every cutscene she's in; hands on hips, pointing, and flippant hand guesture.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Erg posted:

Veronica’s dominant personality traits being strong sense of justice and ANGRY, owns actually

Like yeah, she’s super blustery but she’s also the moral compass of the party, and balances out the extreme amounts of chill Serena has.

Yeah Veronica owns. Hard. She doesn't take poo poo from people and she doesn't suffer fools. Plus she blows poo poo up real good.

And Serena is a nice person who keeps us all from being dead :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Failboattootoot posted:

Her dominant traits are being a dumb rear end in a top hat to everyone around her, having a wildly undeserved opinion of herself, and also possessing exactly 3 animations that she does in every cutscene she's in; hands on hips, pointing, and flippant hand guesture.

Veronica owns, sorry

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

Veronica owns, sorry

:hai:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

exactly, she rules

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Serena’s cool and chilled-out, but at least early on she doesn’t say that much so you gotta do party chat to learn more about her. Like when you get the boat she’s just thinking about the cake she just ate rather than the task at hand, and i can definitely relate.

Another party chat (post-boat spoilers) Go to Cobblestone and speak to Sylvando and unlike everyone else he reacts with visible fury. Made me want to learn more about him even more than I already did.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I like everyone in the party a whole lot. So far I feel like Jade is kind of the weakest link because she's just kinda stoic and boring.

Jade's strongest moments seem to be totally centered around the period where she joins and after that she's just kinda there? Even during certain story bits in the mid game that she has no hand in but it feels like she really should.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

On the third slot pull today :woop: Almost bought out the whole place.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The tournament in Octagonia playing the DQIV battle theme (Octagonia spoilers) is a really neat touch that I like a lot.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Caidin posted:

Jade's strongest moments seem to be totally centered around the period where she joins and after that she's just kinda there? Even during certain story bits in the mid game that she has no hand in but it feels like she really should.

It's pretty disappointing. Jade starts out really strong character wise, but doesn't really develop from there. She doesn't even get good commentary like Sylv and Rab do, despite being incredibly relevant during certain parts of the story.

Also I think I missed a permanently missable mini medal :negative:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gently caress, there are missable medals?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GrandpaPants posted:

It's pretty disappointing. Jade starts out really strong character wise, but doesn't really develop from there. She doesn't even get good commentary like Sylv and Rab do, despite being incredibly relevant during certain parts of the story.

Also I think I missed a permanently missable mini medal :negative:

Strange, I actually looked this up and according to The Internet there isn't actually anything missable in this game...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

There's a mini medal (second half spoilers) when you go back to Dundrasil, so unless you can go back to the area that part of the game takes place somehow, then I don't know if you can get that medal.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I like how Dai no Daibōken the hero's crest looks, and also a bunch of his sword skills

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GrandpaPants posted:

There's a mini medal (second half spoilers) when you go back to Dundrasil, so unless you can go back to the area that part of the game takes place somehow, then I don't know if you can get that medal.

I looked it up cuz I got worried and apparently the deal is there is a Post-Game way to just grind the drat things, which is simultaneously relieving and irritating.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

uiru posted:

I'm in what I guess is the second half of the game, a little bit into it but not that far and just learned that holy poo poo there is another party member. Everyone has done such a good job not talking about what skills to focus on for him that I had no idea.

I knew there was still SOMEBODY left to be recruited because the Fun-Sized Forge option in the Info screen lists axes as weapons but nobody in the advertised party can equip them. I didn't suspect it was who it was until the Sniflheim quest, though.

Speaking of which, he gets to be an axe and shield user for me because holy poo poo his shield skills are great and he's the only one who can use axes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I wonder if we will ever reach a time in gaming when the pre rendered stuff won't be noticeably more detailed than the in engine.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Shugojin posted:

I wonder if we will ever reach a time in gaming when the pre rendered stuff won't be noticeably more detailed than the in engine.

I remember thinking there was no way a game could look better than FF7

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
(Very soon after getting the boat) Nhou Wat had me laughing like an idiot.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Hard mode eases up a bit after you get Sylvando, at least for a little while. The following few areas felt more like most Dragon Quest games in terms of difficulty. Between the Hero's getting Zap and Veronica learning Sizzle I now have an easy way to severely weaken or take out small groups. If the Enemy is vulnerable to Sleep then Erik can set them up for a nice 180 damage hit as well. The Slime Knights are extremely cute in this game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jesus Christ Serena (part 2 spoilers): Yeah, just get ALL the skills, why don't you. Oh gently caress she gets PASSIVE SPELL ECHO!?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

2nd half, arboria spoilers: holy poo poo, i wasn't expecting that for veronica. and they top it with another sad detail: the couple with the baby you meet the first time in arboria apparently lost that child. :(

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Is Erik's steal ability really useful at all? I just got to Gallopolis and I really haven't gotten good returns on it so far.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Once you get gear that increases the steal rate it gets better, but at the base rate I never successfully stole anything.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

bear named tators posted:

Is Erik's steal ability really useful at all? I just got to Gallopolis and I really haven't gotten good returns on it so far.

You can in theory get good stuff early with it but in practice it's mostly for weird Post-Game item grinding stuff. Still take that tree because it contains Divide and Erik's bonus panel.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Been able to steal those colored eye materials which are stupid expensive if you buy them and a lot of magic water. I was barely able to steal anything until I bumped his deftness by about 20 more points and now he can somewhat reliably do so.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Got to Octagonia and when the arena began playing the music from the Endor tournament, and the fights used Alena's DQ4 combat theme it was so good.

Levantine posted:

It's really glaring because of how polished every other inch of the game feels. The world map has those lovely, farty trumpets that grate really quickly and it really takes some of the sheen off an otherwise perfect DQ game.

With any luck someone's going to make a mod that replaces the current music with the orchestra tracks.

Calaveron posted:

I like how Dai no Daibōken the hero's crest looks, and also a bunch of his sword skills

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. I'd be surprised if the crest activation at the start of the game isn't an intentional reference.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
In the early game it's best to steal stuff using the pep power you get from having Flame Slash on the MC.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can in theory get good stuff early with it but in practice it's mostly for weird Post-Game item grinding stuff. Still take that tree because it contains Divide and Erik's bonus panel.
Thanks for the heads up, I was mostly going to skip it but I'll probably start doing it now that I've gotten Erik with dual wielding

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Just beat the Slayer of the Sands. It was really easy at level 17 with good gear.

Onward!

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Bit disappointed that the orbs are just inside random chests instead of being guarded by something.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Marogareh posted:

Bit disappointed that the orbs are just inside random chests instead of being guarded by something.

That's like 1 orb

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Just got to the 2nd half. This game is so good.

Zurai posted:

I knew there was still SOMEBODY left to be recruited because the Fun-Sized Forge option in the Info screen lists axes as weapons but nobody in the advertised party can equip them. I didn't suspect it was who it was until the Sniflheim quest, though.

Speaking of which, he gets to be an axe and shield user for me because holy poo poo his shield skills are great and he's the only one who can use axes.

Yeah, that was super telegraphed by a bunch of stuff. Only the hero being able to use heavy armor/shields was a glaring red flag for me, and there's a clear space for an 8th character in most UI screens.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Started playing this tonight, and you guys were not kidding about the music. It's just...bad. I'm not sure even orchestral versions could save it since half the time, it also doesn't even match the right mood so far. Sugiyama was either lazy or spiteful on this one.

Otherwise, game has been fun so far. I'm using less/no exp for lower level monsters and and harder monsters modifiers and it feels about right at this point, but that is with the DLC also working for me. We'll see how that goes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I just unlocked crafting and this is very weirdly engrossing? I'm sitting at a camp with a merchant who sells the materials for Templar clothes and I kind of just want to keep doing a loop of making and selling them (though the returns on that aren't really worth it).

uiru
Mar 13, 2003

we had a good run anyway

Zurai posted:

Yeah, I'm just retarded I suppose. I noticed axes but not the empty space in the UI for some reason. I just assumed someone else would get axes, maybe Erik's weird dark skill section that wasn't available yet? But in hindsight I shouldn't have been so surprised. Though I can't complain, being surprised is cool, especially by a DQ game that you can pretty much predict 99.99% of the time. Like I knew Hendrik would end up being a pal, I just didn't think the game was going to make him a party member.

Nemo2342 posted:

I just unlocked crafting and this is very weirdly engrossing? I'm sitting at a camp with a merchant who sells the materials for Templar clothes and I kind of just want to keep doing a loop of making and selling them (though the returns on that aren't really worth it).

It is the best crafting system of any game I've ever played. I've never had fun crafting poo poo in a game before. They found a way to make it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nemo2342 posted:

Crafting is great. Reminds me of a really simplified version of FFXIV's crafting system.