Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
For a vendor to sell a pylon, all you need is (a) the npc to like the biome, or (b) two npcs, one of which really likes the other (and neither dislike the biome). That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m thinking about converting my server (temporarily) to a journey mode small world for one weekend with the goal of getting any and all goons and their friends and acquaintances in there to tear it apart and build huge poo poo and just generally go nuts for a crazy couple days.

The goal being to get a really fun map video out of it, or possibly something even cooler. But for that I need a lot of activity, and for that, I need an army of goons. And anyone else they can pull in.

I’d run it on the same specs as what handled a large world with a dozen people, so I don’t think capacity should be a problem.

Who’s interested?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What time/day/timezone? Chances are if it's a regular time for American folks it'll be drunk time for Australians :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well it’d run for the weekend so we could all go crazy in shifts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
misjudged tnts radius compared to a bombs... blew myself up. No gold loss on suicide??

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think pvp deaths dont cause gold loss and that counts.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ambaire posted:

For a vendor to sell a pylon, all you need is (a) the npc to like the biome, or (b) two npcs, one of which really likes the other (and neither dislike the biome). That's it.

For a vendor to sell a pylon, all you need is a happy vendor.

For the pylon to work, all you need is two NPCs. Note that it can be a single NPC and a town pet. (Town pets are obtained by getting licenses from the bestiary girl. You can get a cat, a dog, and a bunny this way. They need a house to live in, but it doesn't have to be their exclusive house -- they can share it with another NPC.)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So, without having read up on it, can the process to place Pylons around the world be as simple as:

- Build a valid house around the location, slightly larger than a room you'd build for some speedrun helltower
- Assign any salesperson to live there, who doesn't specifically not want that biome
- Use the pet license item thing to spawn a pet there
- Wait for the NPC to actually spawn there
- Successfully buy Pylon of that biome from them now?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

For the pylon to work, all you need is two NPCs. Note that it can be a single NPC and a town pet. (Town pets are obtained by getting licenses from the bestiary girl. You can get a cat, a dog, and a bunny this way. They need a house to live in, but it doesn't have to be their exclusive house -- they can share it with another NPC.)
NPCs live in rooms, not houses. You can only put one NPC per room, unless they're a pet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zereth posted:

NPCs live in rooms, not houses.

Same thing as far the game is concerned.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

So, without having read up on it, can the process to place Pylons around the world be as simple as:

- Build a valid house around the location, slightly larger than a room you'd build for some speedrun helltower
- Assign any salesperson to live there, who doesn't specifically not want that biome
- Use the pet license item thing to spawn a pet there
- Wait for the NPC to actually spawn there
- Successfully buy Pylon of that biome from them now?

They need to essentially have two positive modifiers on them to sell the pylon. Which can be two of "not crowded with other NPCs", "in favourite biome" and "with favourite NPC".
So the "any salesperson" should be someone who prefers that biome - you can tell what each NPC prefers from their bestiary page. Or, if you don't have anyone available for that biome, pick a merchant and another NPC they like a lot, like the Zoologist and Witch Doctor.

Additional little wrinkle: The Truffle doesn't actually like the mushroom biome, despite it being the only one he can live in. So if you want a pylon out of him you need to move the Dryad there until you get it.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 29, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I still haven't seen a single ladybug. Can anyone show me some video or something?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Are you making sure to look for them on windy days? They only spawn then. It really shouldn't be hard to find them, they literally spawn in swarms of thirty or more.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How windy is windy?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Very windy. It's a special weather, like rainstorms. You can see vines and such swaying and there are those cartoony little wind swirls in the background, you know the type.

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Windy_Day

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

How windy is windy?

Windy enough to have its own music.

I tend to find on proper windy days, ladybirds blowing in the wind pile up on the walls of my town buildings.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

that boy ain't right

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

If your merchant's selling pinwheels and slimes are ballooning in, it's Windy.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Skeletron kicked my rear end a few times. But now I explored the jungle and have this sick rear end gun that shoots bees. That flying bastard is about to taste the swarm.

Edit: ok so skelly moves a bit too quickly for the swarm of bees to do much, but unfortunately for him he's not quick enough to dodge the other swarm - of bullets - from the shark gun that I also packed

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 29, 2020

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tenebrais posted:

They need to essentially have two positive modifiers on them to sell the pylon. Which can be two of "not crowded with other NPCs", "in favourite biome" and "with favourite NPC".
So the "any salesperson" should be someone who prefers that biome - you can tell what each NPC prefers from their bestiary page. Or, if you don't have anyone available for that biome, pick a merchant and another NPC they like a lot, like the Zoologist and Witch Doctor.

Additional little wrinkle: The Truffle doesn't actually like the mushroom biome, despite it being the only one he can live in. So if you want a pylon out of him you need to move the Dryad there until you get it.

Also, for those like me trying to get an ocean pylon, the Golfer likes the Angler and is neutral on the ocean. Which is a little odd, you'd expect him to be down on the infinite water hazard and sand trap.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dareon posted:

Also, for those like me trying to get an ocean pylon, the Golfer likes the Angler and is neutral on the ocean. Which is a little odd, you'd expect him to be down on the infinite water hazard and sand trap.
At least they joke about it if you ask about how happy they are. Angler is apparently fishing out all his lost shots to water hazards.

So why does the arms dealer hate the Golfer? Terrible puns :downs: "I hate how he's on my turf"

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
This lake/platform above is turning out really useful for early hardmode progression. Got the 'ocean' below for farming angler fish and such and the platform for skelly archers and such. Even killed 2 mimics earlier with zero problems. Already got trifold map, armor polish, cross necklace and philosopher's stone.

The Clockwork assault rifle the wall dropped is so good... even still using necro armor.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

please tell me those sky triangles are revealed map and not a complex series of hedrons youve constructed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1sTIoz1FFI&t=77s

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Hello there, Ankh charm. That certainly was fast... Back to fishing, I suppose. Still need titanium ranged gear.

By the way, explosive bullets with the clockwork assault rifle are insane. Mows down battle potion + water candle hordes like nothing else, even on master mode. I shudder to think of the devastation possible if I was playing on normal.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ambaire posted:

This lake/platform above is turning out really useful for early hardmode progression. Got the 'ocean' below for farming angler fish and such and the platform for skelly archers and such. Even killed 2 mimics earlier with zero problems. Already got trifold map, armor polish, cross necklace and philosopher's stone.

The Clockwork assault rifle the wall dropped is so good... even still using necro armor.

I could use a few mimic drops, is this just literally a line above a lake? Sub-surface for more Mimics?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yea what is happening there

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there any way to generate a custom 1.4 world yet? More specifically, world dimensions.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a mod or something that tells me what crafting station I need to make something? I'm real early on but I have to check every one to see if there's anything I can build that'd improve me right now.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The guide tells you what generic items marked as "material" could be used for (and what object is needed to craft) but AFAIK, there's no in game reverse lookup.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Buddy and I are considering doing a new map. Is there anything interesting added to master/expert mode besides some trinkets and pets? We don't really care about increasing the difficulty too much if there's no noticeable reward. We didn't really get past hardmode mechanical bosses on our first map but learned a lot.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

poemdexter posted:

Buddy and I are considering doing a new map. Is there anything interesting added to master/expert mode besides some trinkets and pets? We don't really care about increasing the difficulty too much if there's no noticeable reward. We didn't really get past hardmode mechanical bosses on our first map but learned a lot.

master mode just adds pets and trophies, expert mode changes the AI and makes them formidable opponents and gives you a lot of cool accessories

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, I think around 6PM central time, I'm going to switch my server to a small journey mode world, for the weekend. The goal is to get as many people on and gently caress poo poo up in its entirety. Go nuts, bring your journey-mode tricked-out characters, bring your nukes, bring your drill containment units, bring your infinite bricks, bring your friends, family, and foes. Make a pyramid, make a dickbutt, I don't care, just make it big. I'll fix up the map website so it provides updates very rapidly, and we'll see what happens.

Come one, come all.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I could use a few mimic drops, is this just literally a line above a lake? Sub-surface for more Mimics?

It is probably a standard cleared area, so 84 tiles left and right and at least 47 up and down to force spawns on the 1 tile platform. Those #s are the spawn range of mobs in relation to the player.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a mod or something that tells me what crafting station I need to make something? I'm real early on but I have to check every one to see if there's anything I can build that'd improve me right now.

Recipe Browser does just that. It's a must-have for modded playthrough since not all mods may have a complete, accurate, and up-to-date wiki... You can get the full list of all items (included modded) in the game, and for each item see what creatures drop it, what it can be crafted from, and what it can be crafted into.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
After getting destroyed by the Destroyer a few times trying it with star cannon/etc and dps accessories, I farmed up that Onyx Blaster thing and did a full reforge to wardingx7 and with Titanium ranged armor, 76 defense and all the buffs ever and a full rack of defensive accessories (charm of myths, star veil, ankh shield, shield of cthulhu, worm scarf, wings, terraspark boots), I was able to kill it fairly painlessly on Master mode. One mechanical boss down, 2 to go.

Onyx blaster is so ridiculously good for that boss, haha.

Still haven't smashed any altars, nor intend to.

.. I need to get a Life Heart farm going asap. Life was still at 480 (400 + lifeforce) for that fight.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

poemdexter posted:

The trinkets are quite useful and often have unique functions, such as the gravity globe that makes you able to use the functions of a gravity potion at will as long as you have it equipped or the demon heart that permanently gives you an additional accessory slot, which is pretty huge.

Also, normal Terraria gets super easy super quickly. For two player co-op, expert is just better if you want to keep having any kind of challenge whatsoever.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This game has changed so much since I last really played it, i'm not ever sure how to proceed any more.
So far i've destroyed the Eye and made my way into the Crimson which is new for me, what happened to the purple poo poo?
But breaking the orbs below don't seem to spawn meteorites anymore.
At least not for the 2 i've broken so far.

e: should i break a 3rd orb and fight a boss or go into the jungle next?

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 29, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

OgNar posted:

This game has changed so much since I last really played it, i'm not ever sure how to proceed any more.
So far i've destroyed the Eye and made my way into the Crimson which is new for me, what happened to the purple poo poo?
But breaking the orbs below don't seem to spawn meteorites anymore.
At least not for the 2 i've broken so far.

Your world can have either the Corruption or the Crimson now. Also meteors only start spawning after you beat the evil biome boss.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the Crimson is basically just purple, but red. Once you do that, it usually goes Dungeon, Underworld, Mechanical Bosses (must be manually summoned) Jungle, Jungle Temple (it's new), Dungeon again, End Boss.

It's not a bad idea to maybe look up a progression guide. The game really has changed a lot and if you didn't even know about the Crimson, there are a ton of new mechanics and tools you would never have run into before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

killed the golem like 14 or 15 times now and still no stinger, i’m literally never gonna get any drop i want in this game