Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can you shame them when you have a takumi yourself

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
all my units died, except for takumi, who then solo'd the rest of the map

I really hate that one arena map with the two columns of breakable walls with trees in the middle, never able to figure out how to position my units in such a way that I don't lose at least one in a skirmish

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
If Takumi could solo the map, why didn't you hide your units behind him?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
bad at video games

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Holy poo poo. I've been levelling Ursula's Mounted Deathsquad to tackle the Training Tower quest and holy poo poo does she tear poo poo up with Blarblade and Hone Cavalry from Gunter. Like holy poo poo.

She's a bonus character for the Arena this cycle, yeah? So help me I'm considering replacing Abel of all people with her for the cycle. She should play nicely with my Nino, Eirika, and Olivia.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anyone figured out what the tiers mean? Is it just another layer of match-making?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So I am sitting on 20K feathers, so I think I'll ask you all who are better at this than me for advice on whom to 5* and party composition.

Previously (thanks to suggestions from here), I've been using Hinoka-Caeda-MRobin core, which works OK, though Caeda is a bit underpowered. Since then, though, I've gotten Hector --- but I am not sure I can use him well due to poor mobility (Wings of Mercy, maybe?), and now an option to 5* someone else. Obvious suspects would include MRobin, FCorin, Kagero, Sharena or Anna, but maybe I am failing to see someone's potential.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tae posted:

Anyone figured out what the tiers mean? Is it just another layer of match-making?

I think its just a marker of how many seasons you've gotten above x score in the arena. Ive been placed against tier 2 as my advanced opponent and t6 as my easy one.(while i was using a lvl 28 ursula)
Normally i get a mix of the top 2 tiers. Since ive gotten max feathers every week ive never seen someone a higher tier than me. Though i never place higher than the 10k-whatever bracket.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Every team can use Hector well because he is strong as gently caress

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Nasgate posted:

I think its just a marker of how many seasons you've gotten above x score in the arena. Ive been placed against tier 2 as my advanced opponent and t6 as my easy one.(while i was using a lvl 28 ursula)
Normally i get a mix of the top 2 tiers. Since ive gotten max feathers every week ive never seen someone a higher tier than me. Though i never place higher than the 10k-whatever bracket.

Yeah, I'm not terribly hardcore so I've never finished better than rank 13k but I've gotten over 4k points every week and am in tier 8.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I think I'm bowing at, at least for awhile. Skill inheritance doesn't seem like it Ruins The Game, but the specifics of the implementation give me pretty strong decision paralysis, and it looks like I'm going to have trouble maxing feathers every week while ignoring it. Which isn't really a complaint, but I could probably spend the time another way.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OddObserver posted:

So I am sitting on 20K feathers, so I think I'll ask you all who are better at this than me for advice on whom to 5* and party composition.

Previously (thanks to suggestions from here), I've been using Hinoka-Caeda-MRobin core, which works OK, though Caeda is a bit underpowered. Since then, though, I've gotten Hector --- but I am not sure I can use him well due to poor mobility (Wings of Mercy, maybe?), and now an option to 5* someone else. Obvious suspects would include MRobin, FCorin, Kagero, Sharena or Anna, but maybe I am failing to see someone's potential.

You have S tier red, S+green and either A or A+ blue. The way i see it is you can move Kagero up for a really good 4 squad. But you can also upgrade mRobin for a fantastic 3 squad and rotate for whatever bonus hero you want.

Edit: there's plenty of mobility skills to throw around via inheritance to help Hector move around.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 21, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OddObserver posted:

Reinhardt, Kagero, Hinoka, Olivia

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Clarste posted:

Linde was good pre-skill inheritance because she basically had the perfect stats for a mage, plus a passive +3 speed. No one really cared about any of her other skills. Now that Nino can get Fury or Darting Blow, Linde lacks the decisive speed advantage she used to have, so she's been reduced to just one of several top tier mages. With Blarblade though, she's a blue Nino, which is arguably a better color for that role.

I think green is better than blue for mages bc what high Res reds are there running around anyway? A buffed Fury Nino can gib Y Tiki and that's about as bulky as reds get. Other than that green matches up better into everything except Tharja and Ryoma. But that's just my opinion :)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I don't understand how to use Anna. She keeps exploding before she can even reach anyone

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't understand how to use Anna. She keeps exploding before she can even reach anyone
Anna's at her best when she can effectively KO an opponent in one round. Granted, this means she'll mostly be going after non-armored blue units and healers, but she can be useful. If you run her on your team, have a healer on her six to keep Anna going if things get too much for even Vantage to cover. Another option is to keep her near a unit with Fortify Defense or Rally Defense to patch her low defense stat before throwing Anna at enemies. If she can inherit defense boosting abilities like Defiant Defense or even the Brave Axe line to kill things faster, then she'll be even more useful. Just understand that Anna is first and foremost a glass cannon axe user and not a tanky unit like typical axe users are in Fire Emblem, and she'll get the job done.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

E: ^^^^^ it's funny how the little girls in this game destroy everyone. Nino and Nowi can get pretty scary

Who wants Vantage more, Lyn or Ryoma? I only have one Lonqu to give atm.

I also tossed Darting Blow on the Lobster, fwiw. Lyn is unaltered though.

eggrolled fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 21, 2017

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Lovechop posted:

i just got 5*s of karel and ryoma trying to pull a tharja - are either of these guys worth doing anything with if i already have a swagged out lucina? their weapons seem cool but i don't know if it's worth the effort.

Different styles of play. Lucina is better buffer, straight up fighter, and can heal herself.

Ryoma is a better tank and ranged killer. If you have the other two, I would dump Karel for skills

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

I think green is better than blue for mages bc what high Res reds are there running around anyway? A buffed Fury Nino can gib Y Tiki and that's about as bulky as reds get. Other than that green matches up better into everything except Tharja and Ryoma. But that's just my opinion :)

Thing is, aside from easy and guilt free access to Blarblade and Moonbow through Odin, Linde also has easy access to Desperation and Fury (Jagen and Shanna), plus starts with a slightly higher base ATK than Nino to begin with. Nino has no access to Desperation or Moonbow as far as I can tell, and even if she did no way to reliably activate the former (Linde has Ardent Sacrifice). Both have access to Luna, if you happened to want that instead of Moonbow, though Nino's choice is easier to sacrifice than Linde's (Frederick vs. Catria).

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Nino has no access to Desperation or Moonbow as far as I can tell, and even if she did no way to reliably activate the former (Linde has Ardent Sacrifice).

That's not how skill inheritance works. If you can learn the skill, you can learn it from anyone. Shanna gave my Nino Desperation 3.
It's usually quite easy to activate even without Fury or another specific skill. Nino can survive a baited attack from Takumi, destroy him on the counterattack, and then take advantage of desperation to kill anything nasty that's left over (say Hector)

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

OddObserver posted:

sassassin posted:

Reinhardt, Kagero, Hinoka, Olivia

That has to to be the worst suggestion of units. You basically picked the worst BST units, when he has the best (assuming he wants max arena returns).

Hector is the unequivocal selection, Abel/MRobin, then Kagero if you pick Abel or Caeda if you pick MRobin + 4th Arena bonus hero.

You could also run a flyer comp for shits n giggles

Remember to throw pivot/wings of mercy on hector, triangle Adept and Blue tomebreaker on Robin if you end up using him, or death blow on Kagero.

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 21, 2017

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I realize that Fir is one of the bonus heroes, and Fir is one of my 5 stars but im pretty sure she is absolutely useless against anything that isnt a Mage.

Doesnt she lose 1v1s with Hector

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ostentatious posted:

I realize that Fir is one of the bonus heroes, and Fir is one of my 5 stars but im pretty sure she is absolutely useless against anything that isnt a Mage.

Doesnt she lose 1v1s with Hector

Well when Fir's neutral atk is 36 and Hector's neutral def is 37

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 21, 2017

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Well when Fir's neutral atk is 36 and Hector's neutral def is 37

haha what a useless hero

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Actually when I run it in the simulator she will still win thanks to Glacies. Assuming you fight correctly anyway.

[e] NM I forgot to input pavise. Rip Fir

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
characters whose gimmick is mage killer sucks when there's like 3 out of 19 possible enemy types.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyone whose gimmick is being a narrow counter to mages better be able to bait and then revenge kill all of Nino, Linde, Julia, and Tharja. I don't think any such character even exists, so I don't think I'd ever put a narrowly-focused mage killer on my team.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Are there any good A skills for Sharena besides Fury 3 (I only have a 3 star Hinata left and don't want to spend 2k feather on him, but if it's the best option...) or is just leaving it as Spd 3 fine?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Are there any good A skills for Sharena besides Fury 3 (I only have a 3 star Hinata left and don't want to spend 2k feather on him, but if it's the best option...) or is just leaving it as Spd 3 fine?

Without a speed boost, Sharena gets doubled by Lucina. Unless you plan on giving her swordbreaker, she pretty much has to have one of +spd, fury, or life and death to fulfill her primary (or secondary if you're a blade team I guess) role.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyone whose gimmick is being a narrow counter to mages better be able to bait and then revenge kill all of Nino, Linde, Julia, and Tharja. I don't think any such character even exists, so I don't think I'd ever put a narrowly-focused mage killer on my team.

Kagero? Plus she can wipe the floor with any other infantry.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Kagero can counter any infantry whereas Dumpster Fire Fir can only really handle green mages (if she can close the distance)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ubiquitus posted:

Kagero? Plus she can wipe the floor with any other infantry.

I guess there is a character who can handle all the problem mages simultaneously. I wouldn't call her a narrow mage counter though

Speaking of Kagero, when my BST was high enough to be sorted into the whale bracket, I encountered a guy with a 40+10 Felicia, with a Poison Dagger+. Dude must really like Felicia

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

Why not just use Olivia?

Not strong enough at 4* and level 40. She's plan B if charging up Blazing Thunder doesn't work out, but I'll need to raise her to 5-star or inherit something anti-Hector onto her in order to make her a reliable option, and I don't have the feathers to spare yet

Speaking of inheriting onto Olivia, does Fury trigger HP loss after dancing, or does it not apply to assists?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Fury activates after combat so Dance does not trigger it. If it did, there'd be some interesting things that might be possible.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Lol I just did a 1v1 arena match

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ubiquitus posted:

That has to to be the worst suggestion of units. You basically picked the worst BST units, when he has the best (assuming he wants max arena returns).

I picked the most deadly combo. If he wanted the four highest ratings there's a button for that.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess there is a character who can handle all the problem mages simultaneously. I wouldn't call her a narrow mage counter though

Speaking of Kagero, when my BST was high enough to be sorted into the whale bracket, I encountered a guy with a 40+10 Felicia, with a Poison Dagger+. Dude must really like Felicia

The whale bracket is the worst right now. I got there off of fury, and being matched with +10 ninos/lindes/lucinas/eirikas all with inherited skills can actually be unwinnable depending on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

MRobin Caeda Hinoka Hector looks a decent comp to me. The Caeda/Hinoka synergy is too good to ignore since you have them both at 5, and MRobin/Hector are both really decent solutions to the archers who'd threaten them.

Kagero is also tempting, but that would leave you with nobody who hits res, which I think is inadvisable.

Getting Reposition on your fliers, Draw Back on Robin and Pivot on Hector will really help with his maneuverability, and give you lots of nice options for hit and runs. It does look like you're a bit short on units to donate those skills at the moment though.

hit button fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 22, 2017