Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Hollandspiele and...

Nope, actually, that's it.

GMT bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I would like to say no, but considering one of the founders, yeah (although I don't think he has any say in the company anymore).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magnetic North posted:

Jeez, my list of places not to buy from keeps getting longer. It had Sirlin and Bezier, and now all 90 Asmodee companies as well. I'm trying to re-find that image of all the brands they have, I know it includes Days of Wonder, Repos, Space Cowboys, ZMan, Catan...

Enjoy wargames, 18xx, and Splotters. :getin:

This isn't being dismissive, I spend most of my gaming hours playing these 3 categories. Also, let me tell you about quirky, experimental JP games that I find more interesting than the latest MWEs or even light games coming out of Spiele

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I mean, for non-Asmodee companies, I can think of Plaid Hat (just escaped), Stronghold / Indie Boards and Cards, Rio Grande Games (I think), Ravensburger / Alea, North Star Games, CGE, and Portal Games.

I am unsure about Tasty MInstrel Games, AEG, IELLO, and Wizkids, though I'm pretty sure that last one isn't because Zev works there now.

Of course, none of this says that these companies aren't lovely in other ways.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I got my copy of Root and Riverfolk. I knew the gist of the game going into it, but man, there is some dark theming going on here.

Chill la Chill posted:

Enjoy wargames, 18xx, and Splotters. :getin:

This isn't being dismissive, I spend most of my gaming hours playing these 3 categories. Also, let me tell you about quirky, experimental JP games that I find more interesting than the latest MWEs or even light games coming out of Spiele

Yo I will listen to stories about quirky JP games all day long, spill.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Both companies are at fault! Asmodee should provide more support and Miniature Market should order double stock just in case poo poo breaks or otherwise give full refunds and melt the plastic miniatures into a giant dildo to fornicate themselves.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

I got my copy of Root and Riverfolk. I knew the gist of the game going into it, but man, there is some dark theming going on here.

Oink games, not content with being a publisher of quirky small box games, released a mobile game called Takeshi and Hiroshi that’s cute af

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

grassy gnoll posted:

Oink games makes: Startups, Maskmen, A Fake Artist Goes To New York, Fafnir, Flotsam Fight, Troika, Deep Sea Adventure and some others that are not as good/I haven’t played

They are all very good small games (7 min for a round, 3 min rules) and are meant to be played for multiple rounds or as quick filler games

Chill has definitely played some more obscure JP stuff though

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

Both companies are at fault! Asmodee should provide more support and Miniature Market should order double stock just in case poo poo breaks or otherwise give full refunds and melt the plastic miniatures into a giant dildo to fornicate themselves.

Aren't retail margins pretty thin? I can't imagine they can order double stock to sit in the back room without going bankrupt.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Aren't retail margins pretty thin? I can't imagine they can order double stock to sit in the back room without going bankrupt.

I really should’ve added a sarcasm tag, I read some of the reddit comments and those people should be gymnasts with all the hoops they leap through to admonish miniature market.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

grassy gnoll posted:

Psychic pizza deliverers go to the ghost town. Not as logically satisfying as tragedy looper but much easier to play and GM (ghost mayor). Nokosu dice, 100 Yokai nights(?), all sorts of neat trick taking variants. I don’t wanna leave kotatsu. Simple wagering/ I split you choose. Eggs of ostrich, prisoners dilemma. There’s a couple auction games, rumble nation, and some other games I looked into last Tokyo game market but I’ll wait a bit before looking for more. Even if they’re rough or could use some development work, they’re some raw designs that have captured my interest much more than milquetoast generic colonial midweight euro #3576. I already feel Pfister looking over my shoulder doing a woopsie I made another game glorifying colonialism

Hell my friends talk about tweaking the kotatsu game a bit. I don’t think it needs the tweak if players are playing correctly. But in any case it has one hell of a table presence.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 5, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played a solo game of March of Ants tonight. Obviously it's only like 70% of the actual game (you play against a deck that simulates an invading swarm of centipedes, performing certain actions based on the kinds of card you draw) but I quite enjoyed it and am excited to see the actual game in action.

Also the solo game was fast as poo poo, like 25 minutes and that includes looking at the rules repeatedly.

Oh and I love the ant meeples, glad I grabbed them.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Magnetic North posted:

I mean, for non-Asmodee companies, I can think of Plaid Hat (just escaped), Stronghold / Indie Boards and Cards, Rio Grande Games (I think), Ravensburger / Alea, North Star Games, CGE, and Portal Games.

I am unsure about Tasty MInstrel Games, AEG, IELLO, and Wizkids, though I'm pretty sure that last one isn't because Zev works there now.

Pretty sure CGE belongs to Asmodee.

Feuerland is non-Asmodee but I think at least some of their games are published by Z-Man in English-speaking countries. They seem to work more closely with Stonemaier recently, though.

lol if you're French I guess.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Wizard Styles posted:

Pretty sure CGE belongs to Asmodee.

Nah

Sucks for Plaid Hat though because they had to give up some of their most visible titles but I'm glad they got out

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I would like to say no, but considering one of the founders, yeah (although I don't think he has any say in the company anymore).

What's the story here?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Safety Biscuits posted:

What's the story here?

child sex offender

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Well, teaches me for not checking through my copy of Marvel Champions until recently, only to find there's only one copy of the base game Aggression cards instead of two in there. Not the end of the world, but annoying given the Asmodee changes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's like a CCG, except instead of a rare you get to randomly see if you got all the cards you were supposed to! It's like Asmodee bundled a free game of chance with all their products!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

Rio Grande weren't Asmodee last time I looked, but Wizkids are. They also have Heidelberger, so they've got a chunk of IELLO, IB&C and CGE as well and probably all of Alea/Ravensburger.

AEG are clear, and I'm fairly sure that Queen, HUCH! and HABA are as well. The main problem in the UK is that Asmodee owns Esdevium.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

Rio Grande weren't Asmodee last time I looked, but Wizkids are. They also have Heidelberger, so they've got a chunk of IELLO, IB&C and CGE as well and probably all of Alea/Ravensburger.

AEG are clear, and I'm fairly sure that Queen, HUCH! and HABA are as well. The main problem in the UK is that Asmodee owns Esdevium.

HeidelBÄR are no longer part of Asmodee so CGE only distribute Codenames thought Asmodee now, in Europe largely. They might distribute all thing in NA but Asmodee don't own any part of CGE.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I read that the HeidelBär Games GmbH, which is games develelopement branch, has left Asmodee.

The Rest of the Heidelberger Spieleverlag is still with Asmodee as well as the logistics and the name rights of the other publishers from them.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

child sex offender

Welp. Thanks.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

LazyAngel posted:

Well, teaches me for not checking through my copy of Marvel Champions until recently, only to find there's only one copy of the base game Aggression cards instead of two in there. Not the end of the world, but annoying given the Asmodee changes.

You only get 1 set of each of the aspect (or whatever they're called) sets. 5 heroes, 4 aspects, not enough to set up 5 hero decks at once.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/269452/asmodee-publisher-list

List of all the companies Asmodee owns or publishes for, relatively recently updated (2 weeks ago).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
In case anyone hasn't tried playing online recently, the new Dominion expansion is being previewed, so you can play the base set for free, plus a rotation of like 10-12 of the new cards right now before it's even released. https://www.dominion.games

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LazyAngel posted:

UrbanLabyrinth explained it just fine, but to expound: The Getting Started guide lists two Aggression decks, but only includes enough cards to play one of them at a time.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Oh and I love the ant meeples, glad I grabbed them.

I'm thinking about venturing out of the house tonight (I live in Coronaville, USA) just to play MotA with some of the new stuff.

Is everyone planning to just swap out the cubes for the ant meeples? Or use cubes for eggs/larvae and meeples for ants?

I still haven't played a game with any of the other cool meeples like the ladybug or cordyceps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

I'm thinking about venturing out of the house tonight (I live in Coronaville, USA) just to play MotA with some of the new stuff.

Is everyone planning to just swap out the cubes for the ant meeples? Or use cubes for eggs/larvae and meeples for ants?

I still haven't played a game with any of the other cool meeples like the ladybug or cordyceps.

I swapped out the cubes. With that and some judicious arrangement I've managed to fit the game plus both expansions in the base box.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CaptainRightful posted:

I just swapped out all the cubes, stuffed them in the expansion box. Was considering using the cubes for larvae but I figured you don't really get much from that and it opens up the possibility of accounting errors where you discard three cubes but only put down 2 ants, or 4 or something by accident.

Jedit posted:

I swapped out the cubes. With that and some judicious arrangement I've managed to fit the game plus both expansions in the base box.

Gonna try this tonight. Also I want to count the components. I know I'm not the only one who enjoys popping stuff out, counting the components, organizing everything in appropriate spaces and figuring out where everything can/should go.

Clinic was tough for this. Didn't want individual baggies for each of the room types, but didn't want a huge back for everything. Mixed certain things together in bags depending on how they're distributed at the start of a new game, etc. Was pretty calming, I'm sure I'm triggering some complex in me that enjoys this sorting thing.

Also explains why I really like making box organizers, now that I think about it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Crackbone posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/269452/asmodee-publisher-list

List of all the companies Asmodee owns or publishes for, relatively recently updated (2 weeks ago).

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. I was confident a thread existed but I couldn't find it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

BGG has Earth Reborn taking 3 hours per game; is that accurate?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway

Shadow225 posted:

BGG has Earth Reborn taking 3 hours per game; is that accurate?

It's 100% dependent on how much of a brain burner you want it to be. Your host can probably take about 20 minutes off by pre-setting up the map, which is made up of a bunch of different little tiles and is a huge pain in the rear end.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

UrbanLabyrinth explained it just fine, but to expound: The Getting Started guide lists two Aggression decks, but only includes enough cards to play one of them at a time.

Nah, I mean the aspect decks are supposed to have two copies of each card; mine only has one for Aggression.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's 100% dependent on how much of a brain burner you want it to be. Your host can probably take about 20 minutes off by pre-setting up the map, which is made up of a bunch of different little tiles and is a huge pain in the rear end.

So assuming it's already set up, still 3 hours?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Shadow225 posted:

So assuming it's already set up, still 3 hours?

No. I mean, it depends. The beginner scenario takes about 90 minutes. If you're trying to teach the full breadth of rules? Oh yeah easily 3 hours; Boellinger teaches you the game in installments precisely to illustrate the mechanical interactions you might not be aware of.

One of the reasons Earth Reborn never fully took off despite being a fantastic game is because you need to play learning scenarios with the same people (or someone who is willing to teach you and deliberately "play dumb"). The learning scenarios ARE super fun and lead into SAGs which is one of the best tac skirmish games of all time (except that the minis lack variety) but you gotta hike that hill. Not a difficult hike but with the market getting flooded by new poo poo all the time people just don't care about a 10 year old game anymore.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

LazyAngel posted:

Nah, I mean the aspect decks are supposed to have two copies of each card; mine only has one for Aggression.

No? Aggression has 1 Hulk and 1 Tigra, 2 Power of Aggression, and 3 of Chase Them Down, Melee, Relentless Assault, Uppercut, Tac Team, Combat Training, and Enraged.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No. I mean, it depends. The beginner scenario takes about 90 minutes. If you're trying to teach the full breadth of rules? Oh yeah easily 3 hours; Boellinger teaches you the game in installments precisely to illustrate the mechanical interactions you might not be aware of.

One of the reasons Earth Reborn never fully took off despite being a fantastic game is because you need to play learning scenarios with the same people (or someone who is willing to teach you and deliberately "play dumb"). The learning scenarios ARE super fun and lead into SAGs which is one of the best tac skirmish games of all time (except that the minis lack variety) but you gotta hike that hill. Not a difficult hike but with the market getting flooded by new poo poo all the time people just don't care about a 10 year old game anymore.

I wish I had a Earth Reborn buddy :sigh:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Eyes Have It posted:

I wish I had a Earth Reborn buddy :sigh:

Same. Mine moved away. But we had a lot of fun and I cherish those memories. It is one of the best board games ever made and made me a Boellinger Buddy for life.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Always wondered why cubes represented livestock in euros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Gonna try this tonight. Also I want to count the components. I know I'm not the only one who enjoys popping stuff out, counting the components, organizing everything in appropriate spaces and figuring out where everything can/should go.

I fit everything in the base box (both expansions, including every wooden upgrade) with no difficulty. It's tight, but not insanely tight like stuffing all of Root in one box.