Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sam Faust posted:

the pink one and then the green one

There is a story connection but it's not very important for playing through 2. Although it might actually spoil some stuff in Xenoblade 1 if you finish 2 first.

I'm colorblind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

that's unfortunate but also explains a lot about your username/avatar

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Instead of changing base game values, they decided to change the monsters health, which was a decent solution, until no one shushed the guy who suggested it be regenerating.

The monsters don't actually have more health if I remember right (apart from being higher-ranked), so you could still alpha-strike the hell out of them if you were fast + probably slammed back a food, which you wouldn't be able to do if everything just had double the life bars as before.

So you COULD get around the regeneration mechanic if you played in an extremely specific way, but the whole point behind BotW is that there's no One Specific Way that you have to play it and Master Mode gets right in the way of that and refuses to budge

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Played some Exit the Gungeon last night, how the hell did that game start out as a phone/tablet game? Seems like it would be impossible unless it was less difficult and they ramped up the difficulty for consoles. I can't even wrap my head around how you would play it without a controller.

My brain is having a hard time accepting I need to use two different buttons to dodge on a 2D plane compared to the first game, so even though it's a simpler game I'm finding it more difficult than Enter the Gungeon. The jump+dodge seems to have a pretty generous invulnerable window though and I cleared a run about 10 attempts in.

I kind of wish there was an oh poo poo button you could use once every 10 minutes to immediately change weapons, other than that I like it :thumbsup:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was one of the flagship titles for Apple's Arcade service, so I'm guessing it was never intended to start out as a phone game, they were just offered a truckfull of money they couldn't refuse for timed exclusivity.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

Played some Exit the Gungeon last night, how the hell did that game start out as a phone/tablet game? Seems like it would be impossible unless it was less difficult and they ramped up the difficulty for consoles. I can't even wrap my head around how you would play it without a controller.

Jumping was handled with an Angry Birds-style drag-and-launch mechanic which also kicked in slow-mo for up to several seconds while you had your thumb on the screen.

Being able to do bullet time for free, whenever you wanted, made the game pretty easy

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I went to play BotW for the first time since it came out and decided I'd try Master Mode, whereupon I ran up to a bokoblin, broke my axe on it, and died

durability is real bad, folks

Weapon durability is not the problem with Master Mode.

Lazy half-assed difficulty modifiers are the problem with Master Mode. There's already little incentive to do battles in BotW, with regenerating health that incentive goes to nil. It doesn't make combat challenging, it makes combat tedious.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But I did the thing for five whole minutes!

I know that it's bad and why!

-this thread, constantly

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Bloop posted:

-this thread, constantly

I know that this thread is bad, and why.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Master mode doesn't get any better after 5 minutes, that's just when the stockholm syndrome kicks in

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Bloop posted:

-this thread, constantly
Lol you do things you don't enjoy for more than 5 minutes

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

homeless snail posted:

Master mode doesn't get any better after 5 minutes, that's just when the stockholm syndrome kicks in

I think it actually does; once you're out of the early game you never wind up in a situation where you literally don't have the weaponry to kill enemies in an area you're supposedly equipped for. But it's a move from "it's novel and spectacular how bad of an experience this is" to just regular bad.

The nice thing about master mode is it's a second save file in a game which refuses to provide one beyond the Switch profiles mechanic, but that's not exactly a good reason to like it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The idea that you have to do something you hate for a long time to have an opinion is something else.

Then you get made fun of for doing something you hate for a long time

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

American McGay posted:

Wish my drat wife would

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

I take more than 5 minutes if I'm going to declare a game or control scheme that is wildly popular is actually bad, yes

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wish my drat wife would

She does, she does.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty sure most people who read this thread are able to understand when someone posts "Master Mode in BOTW is bad" they actually mean "I personally think Master Mode in BOTW is bad".

Also Master Mode is the opposite of wildly popular, as evidenced by this page and also probably 13 other pages of this thread.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wish my drat wife would

You should play Fire Emblem to solve your marital woes.

Or Senran Kengarbage.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think many people like MM.

Even people who really really like BOTW seem to think it’s more okay

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wild to think that the first paid DLC for BOTW was the ability to see where you've been on the map, the laziest possible implementation of a hard mode and some Xenoblade cosmetics and we all ate that poo poo up. That's how loving good BOTW was.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

homeless snail posted:

Be careful, there's that dude in this thread that gets super pissy when you use that phrase

I played a bunch of Splatoon last night and while gyro still doesn't work for me i'm still giving it a shot. Pretty sure i'm going to buy the base game before the sale is up. Not sure about the DLC since it isn't on sale and i don't see a real reason to yet

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Is there a phrase that exists that won't piss off at least one person in this thread. I know I have my own piss-phrase

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

“I like good d-pads”

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I once said I hated the movement controls of La Mulana and had like two dozen people absolutely screeching at me about how I was wrong for not liking it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
La-Mulana seems like it should feel like Castlevania when it's really Spelunker

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like d-pads that DON'T get captured!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I once said I hated the movement controls of La Mulana and had like two dozen people absolutely screeching at me about how I was wrong for not liking it.
La-Mulana has bad controls but great everything else so it's an easy pill to swallow, and they're not painfully bad or anything they're just "NES platformer" bad.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Talking to the NPCs about the Tokyo Olympics is awkward now in Mario & Sonic Tokyo 2020's single player mode.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

American McGay posted:

La-Mulana has bad controls but great everything else so it's an easy pill to swallow, and they're not painfully bad or anything they're just "NES platformer" bad.

Yeah they're pretty stiff, but not super unworkable. Just a bit of an old jankyish learning curve to get past.

At least they fixed the grapple claws in the remake. Those controls were an utter nightmare in the original version.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

Pretty sure most people who read this thread are able to understand when someone posts "Master Mode in BOTW is bad" they actually mean "I personally think Master Mode in BOTW is bad".

Also Master Mode is the opposite of wildly popular, as evidenced by this page and also probably 13 other pages of this thread.

No poo poo, Captain

The post in question actually said "weapon durability is bad" as the reason though, which is wrong

Even if weapons never broke, master mode combat would be bad

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Durability is fine in normal, but it absolutely does master mode no favors

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

homeless snail posted:

Is there a phrase that exists that won't piss off at least one person in this thread. I know I have my own piss-phrase

"The Switch... is good?"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I try and pretend to be cool sometimes but the truth is when people say that Gyro Aiming is bad I wanna call their bosses and tell them they hired BABIES who wear DIAPERS

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo got the poo poo hacked out of them apparently. All legacy stuff though, like the complete source code for the Wii, N64, stuff like that, unpublished builds of old games and poo poo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope we get a good N64 emulator out of all of this

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
AC horizons is better than BOTW imo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chinook posted:

“I like good d-pads”

Eh, analog sticks are fine for 2D platformers, people who complain just suck at platformers.

It’s just like using gyro controls instead of dual sticks or keyboard and mouse or a dance pad or guitar.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Odd Mutant posted:

AC horizons is better than BOTW imo

AC is like if BotW let you craft wooden swords but you couldn’t get any better weapons until you beat all four divine beasts.

I’m still trying to defeat the divine beast of having a five-star town rating.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Waffle! posted:

"The Switch... is good?"

It's great, fucker

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mega64 posted:

AC is like if BotW let you craft wooden swords but you couldn’t get any better weapons until you beat all four divine beasts.

I’m still trying to defeat the divine beast of having a five-star town rating.

"The villagers responded positively to your scenery!"

"You need better scenery"

"They like it"

"They hate it"

gently caress you Isabelle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Isabelle is miscast. :(

It feels like it should be a snootier person in her job role, but they put her there because she’s popular and they couldn’t figure out a better job.

But AC:H is like BOTW in that it’s a 10/10 game that you can complain about but it’s just so darn uniquely good that the fun outweighs the pain.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 4, 2020