Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSeXXXenb3rg
Apr 10, 2004
The king of procrastination
http://goo.gl/maps/U2HA

South West of Eugene OR, there are large (1 mile square) areas of checkerboard patterned forest. I initially thought that it was an artifact of stitching various shots together, but now I'm thinking that the forest was actually felled in perfectly square sections and then allowed to regrow. Places like this show the shadows of the big trees falling onto the small ones. Is this how logging operations do their thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

LordSeXXXenb3rg posted:

South West of Eugene OR, there are large (1 mile square) areas of checkerboard patterned forest. I initially thought that it was an artifact of stitching various shots together, but now I'm thinking that the forest was actually felled in perfectly square sections and then allowed to regrow. Places like this show the shadows of the big trees falling onto the small ones. Is this how logging operations do their thing?
In the developed world, yes, that is an element of sustainable forestry. They'll fell an area and then a third party will be paid to actively replant trees in the area. The logging roads are a key giveaway.

Here's a very similar shot from an area a couple thousand miles away showing exactly the same thing: http://goo.gl/maps/ZAD4s (and I can personally confirm that area is a result of logging).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

LordSeXXXenb3rg posted:

Probably from how they did railroad land grants.

Here's a wiki page about it
Checkerboarding (land)

quote:

Checkerboarding in the West occurred due to railroad land grants where railroads would be granted every other section along a rail corridor. These grants, which typically extended 6 to 40 miles (10 to 64 km) from either side of the track,[2] were a subsidy to the railroads. Unlike per-mile subsidies which encouraged fast but shoddy track-laying, land grants encouraged higher quality work, since the railroads could increase the value of the land by building better track. The government also benefited from the increased value of the remaining public parcels

So some of it's federal, some of it is private and that affected what got logged and what didn't. I remember learning about that in high school but I don't think I've ever actually seen a picture of how it played out until now. Your post dredged up the old memory and I got curious and started searching around.

Some more from Montana
http://goo.gl/maps/LBQTU

e: stole a lot of this info from this Straight Dope thread.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 26, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MilkDud posted:

I guess this is just an odd rock formation of some sort, but it also sort of looks like the remnants of a dam or something...

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=38.843451,-116.03219&spn=0.067853,0.132093&t=h&z=14

No idea what could have caused that.

if you look at the Terrain map on google maps, it really does look like the remnants of a dam, with a washout/break in the center.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Pfirti86 posted:

I remember being creeped the gently caress out when I found that town back when I was scoping out random islands in the ocean. Apparently they're British subjects, but you're not allowed to move there as a resident from the outside, and they all only have like eight last names. Bummer, as I sort of want to build a home on the opposite side of the village and just veg out with my books, my NetFlix (though I guess they couldn't mail me my DVDs as fast), and a piano.

Edit: I love that one of the islands nearby is merely named 'Inaccessible Island' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inaccessible_Island). Kind of punctuates how loving remote this place really is.

Looks like it has been accessed.

Zoom out and you get a question mark at this location.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

kastein posted:

if you look at the Terrain map on google maps, it really does look like the remnants of a dam, with a washout/break in the center.

I don't know, it could be a natural formation as well. It would seem like a really queer place to build a dam, for one thing. Dams are usually built at a narrow place. It also seems unclear what purpose it could serve. There's no population living nearby so it can't be for reservoir or for electricity. And building something that big so far from any cities or even roads would be very difficult if it was an old structure.

Maybe it's the eroded remnants of an ancient volcano or meteor crater because it's clearly oval shaped. Or it could be the dried bed of an ancient lake. As millennia have passed the now dried up stream has dug deeper and deeper into the ground. Then it wouldn't be a hole in a dam-like barrier.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
agreed, it's almost certainly not actually a dam, at least not a manmade one. All I can think is a strange delta or something that then eroded away at the middle, but I'd have to see much more detailed photos to not have my head up my rear end on the subject.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Terrain view seems to indicate "the dam" is 40 feet tall, Bing has more detailed maps. I'm guessing it's a moraine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So what is going on at Takashima Island? Obama yeah fair enough, but the swastikas?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, either conspiracy theories are now altering the earth itself to say Swastika-Obama, or that's the Buddhist Swastika denoting a temple.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

agreed, it's almost certainly not actually a dam, at least not a manmade one. All I can think is a strange delta or something that then eroded away at the middle, but I'd have to see much more detailed photos to not have my head up my rear end on the subject.

Pretty sure it's a natural rimstone dam.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

88h88 posted:

So what is going on at Takashima Island? Obama yeah fair enough, but the swastikas?

It's a Buddhist temple sign.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BJk posted:

It's a Buddhist temple sign.

Ah of course! Thank you!

*edit: and Loomer!

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 14, 2012

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

pkticker posted:

According to Google Earth and Wikipedia, they're evaporation ponds used to produce salt and brine.
Here are some more evaporation ponds: Lake Grassmere, New Zealand

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just posting to say there's a bunch new street view stuff. Chile (Santiago and a couple smaller cities), Croatia (the entire country), Andorra, and apparently some underwater stuff.

The Croatian imagery was shot during fall and is quite beautiful.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

I was bored at work and went through the Google street view for Legoland Windsor and found The Stig a few times.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

http://maps.google.com/intl/en/help/maps/streetview/gallery.html

loving, go crazy. Some awesome poo poo here. Antarctica, Great Barrier Reef, to name a few.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.6103...2,91.68,,0,7.66

What's the deal with this house in Brooklyn? It appears to be blurred out from all angles up and down the street and even a little bit in the satellite view.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
People can ask Google to blur the details of their house in street view.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's a CIA undercover facility.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slovakia now has full street view coverage.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Viridiant posted:

People can ask Google to blur the details of their house in street view.

Yeah, there's a form you can fill out if you want your house blurred in streetview / satellite. Of course Google doesn't legally have to do this, but its a good-will gesture that shuts up most conspiracy nuts and all that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Drunk Tomato posted:

Of course Google doesn't legally have to do this

They do in some places. In Germany IIRC Google is legally obligated to blur the house of anyone who requests it, these were the terms allowing them to do street view there in the first place. So it's very common to see houses entirely blurred out if you are looking at Germany. I think this is the case in the UK as well.

Miss America
Sep 11, 2001
Saving the world one rainbow sparkly gumdrop at a time

Drunk Tomato posted:

Yeah, there's a form you can fill out if you want your house blurred in streetview / satellite. Of course Google doesn't legally have to do this, but its a good-will gesture that shuts up most conspiracy nuts and all that.

And, as demonstrated here, makes your house stick out like a sore thumb so people start getting interested, thus making it a pretty dumb move for people concerned about privacy.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Earwicker posted:

They do in some places. In Germany IIRC Google is legally obligated to blur the house of anyone who requests it, these were the terms allowing them to do street view there in the first place. So it's very common to see houses entirely blurred out if you are looking at Germany. I think this is the case in the UK as well.

You're right, I had actually typed up something just like this and decided not to post it. Those Germans are verrrry concerned about their privacy!

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Nenonen posted:

Yes, you can see the same circular crops just about anywhere, the more so where there is no shortage of arable land but the climate is more or less arid. This image is from Kansas, you can see center pivot crops in the mids of more land-efficient crops:

Though they're not watered with sprinklers, rather contraptions like this that pivot along the center point of the crop:

So does any such collection of circular crop fields use a hex grid instead of square? That would seem to yield better land usage. (And probably resemble a turn-based RPG map)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

frumpykvetchbot posted:

So does any such collection of circular crop fields use a hex grid instead of square? That would seem to yield better land usage. (And probably resemble a turn-based RPG map)

Probably not. The circles are caused by the irrigation system in place, not efficiency of land use. For them to want to use hexes you'd have to find a cheap and effective method of irrigating that shape.

Edit: Wow I completely misunderstood your question. Whoops.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 14, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Yes, in fact if you look back to the original desert map:

That's pretty close to a hexagon pattern, with an orchard inbetween here and there.

But circular irrigation seems to be common in areas where land is cheap but water resources are limited. In that case it doesn't actually matter if more land is wasted - you still wouldn't be irrigating all of it, at least not with water-intensive plants.

Alternately, it could be dependant on how the land is managed - if eg. it is rented out in square mile plots laid in a squre pattern, then the renters will irrigate their plots accordingly. Since different plants require different amounts of water (and the demand for different plants changes by time), it's hard to plan the grid based on any one irrigation type.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but a lot of stores and buildings have their interiors photographed and integrated into Google Maps now so you can "drive" through them the same way you manipulate the regular street view.

Most interesting one I've found so far is the Frick Collection museum in NYC...

http://goo.gl/maps/sRQdq

Edit: here's a table full of guns in a classroom in the back of a firearms store

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 14, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The limiting factor in the circular fields is definitely water, not land. Most farmers would happily pump their aquifer dry if the federal/state/local government didn't force them to stop. When you see a circle that is only fractionally green then it is probably because that is all of the acreage that can be supported by the amount water that they were allowed to pump in the year the imagery was taken. Unfortunately they view the situation as something the needs to be fixed by pumping water in from incredibly far away, not something that needs to be fixed by growing stuff in a location that isn't a desert.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 15, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.7714...4,,0,15.59&z=18

Hey, this painting is blurred out. Did whoever owns this painting and is loaning it to the museum have to sign a form to get their property blurred like with houses?

And why? :confused:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Copyrights

edit: I'm betting

withak fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 15, 2012

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

When the Collections team from Streetview do interiors of places like museums and such, they get the copyright permission as much as they can, but there are always issues here and there.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

withak posted:

Copyrights

Elendil004 posted:

When the Collections team from Streetview do interiors of places like museums and such, they get the copyright permission as much as they can, but there are always issues here and there.

All of the other paintings in that room look like they are from the 18th century, how could they be copyrighted? :confused:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Earwicker posted:

All of the other paintings in that room look like they are from the 18th century, how could they be copyrighted? :confused:

They might be on loan from someones collection and owned in that way, or hell it might actually be nudity. A lot of paintings have boobies.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

They might be on loan from someones collection and owned in that way, or hell it might actually be nudity. A lot of paintings have boobies.

Yeah, like this unblurred one on the opposite side of the very same room.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The owner of the painting may have required that the museum not allow anyone to distribute photos of it as part of the loan.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 15, 2012

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Well I guess it's working because now I'm going to have to go there to see what the paintings are.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Earwicker posted:

Yeah, like this unblurred one on the opposite side of the very same room.

I don't know I don't interact with that part of Google, sorry :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
You can see both of those paintings in the virtual tour in the west gallery (turn 180 from the starting point and zoom in on the back wall). The virtual tour lets you click on various objects and read about them, however these two paintings can't be clicked on, so whatever keeps them blurred on Google must have restrictions for the museum's site, too. The paintings strike me as Italian, but beyond that I have no idea who did them.

http://www.frick.org/visit/virtual_tour/west_gallery

• Locked thread