Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Suspicious Cook posted:

If you have to min/max in a video game, that video game is bad.

Fire Emblem is now a war themed dating simulator and failure to embrace that is failure to embrace your waifu.

What if you don't have to min/max but you just like it? Anyway, I probably won't worry too much about minmaxing in my first run of each path, although there are some things I do want to try, like figuring out if it's feasible to get Smithy Skill, Miracle, and whichever of the avatar's skills it is (I think Hoshido) onto Midori along with the Easy Life/Extravagance combo from Great Merchant without doing much/any side grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Philip Rivers posted:

Literally all I care about is buff anime women carrying me in their arms, thanks.

Thank you

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

To be fair there are characters in FE who are so bad that using them makes the game unfun as they constantly need to be babied just so you can keep them alive. I don't think Rinkah is going to be one of those characters.

These are the fun characters to use though

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I want a small, buff muscle anime babe to carry me away into the sunset despite being twice her size

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

What if you don't have to min/max but you just like it? Anyway, I probably won't worry too much about minmaxing in my first run of each path, although there are some things I do want to try, like figuring out if it's feasible to get Smithy Skill, Miracle, and whichever of the avatar's skills it is (I think Hoshido) onto Midori along with the Easy Life/Extravagance combo from Great Merchant without doing much/any side grinding.

Go ahead. Just don't say people are wrong for liking a character that isn't statistically superior.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

What if you don't have to min/max but you just like it?

Then by all means, crunch numbers to your heart's content. I'm sure at least one of the animes will love you for it. I just hope her stats are good enough for you to marry her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I want a small, buff muscle anime babe to carry me away into the sunset despite being twice her size
i like umi sonoda too

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

This but twice my size (I am v petite)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Why on earth would you want to touch Sully's muscles.

Touch Kjelle's. Far superior. Severa seal of approval!

Do you wanna be the guy who takes Severa's waifu away from her?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Junpei Hyde posted:

Do you wanna be the guy who takes Severa's waifu away from her?

Yep!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You are a monster.

A monster with good taste.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

To be fair there are characters in FE who are so bad that using them makes the game unfun as they constantly need to be babied just so you can keep them alive. I don't think Rinkah is going to be one of those characters.

Nah, she's a Meg through and through. But a Meg is still a Unit You can Use and Rinkah is no less usable in that sense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

Nah, she's a Meg through and through. But a Meg is still a Unit You can Use and Rinkah is no less usable in that sense

Cake Attack posted:

Rinkah only has three numbers I care about

Her squat, deadlift and bench

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Meg comes early in the game. Fiona is the hard one to use.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
^^^^^Even Rinkah isn't a Fiona, come on that's a little harsh

Also word of advice: the paralogues have some real wonky loving scaling on Lunatic. I'm in the postgame and Ignatius literally dies in two turns if you haven't leveled Benny up, I had to burn so many staves over the course of an hour and a half to keep his worthless rear end alive. And don't get me started on Siegbert's level, the amount of level 18 promoted reinforcements thrown at you can spiral out of control very quickly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also random fact about lunatic: when the game came out in jp people thought it had fixed growths, but that's wrong. it just rolls levels for everyone when you start a run and uses those levels no matter what you do. even if you go back five chapters in time and play things completely differently, everyone's levels will be the same.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should do that on every difficulty muahahah

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

also random fact about lunatic: when the game came out in jp people thought it had fixed growths, but that's wrong. it just rolls levels for everyone when you start a run and uses those levels no matter what you do. even if you go back five chapters in time and play things completely differently, everyone's levels will be the same.

That's cool

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
xcom anti-save scum mode huh

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

That's cool

Yeah, it's a little confusing if you don't know about it and get the same level ups everytime you game over. There's still a lot of fud about that going around.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lost in Stats, All Alone

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

How does class changing affect this?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Endorph posted:

Interesting, I hope they use that more frequently. Much as I am guilty of deciding I want to use a particular unit and grinding out good levels for them (off the top of my head, I was most egregious with it in . . . either Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, whichever one let you do mid-battle saves rather than just suspends), I prefer that the game just take it off the table so I don't feel the compulsion to do so.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Does Conquest have a villager unit?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

BillmasterCozb posted:

Does Conquest have a villager unit?

Villager is on all routes. First paralogue. Like Donny, but less cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

How does class changing affect this?
it doesn't. or rather, the game doesn't go 'okay, kamui'll get strength, luck, and defense on this level', it just rolls numbers the same as always. it just does all the rolling beforehand. so changing to a class with different growths will change what counts as a stat-up, but it won't lead to stuff like you reclassing to knight and then never getting defense because the game was using a samurai's growths.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Villager is on all routes. First paralogue. Like Donny, but less cool.

Does notdonny have metal pot for a helmet?That is the most important factor in using any unit- cool headwear.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Sorbocules posted:

Does notdonny have metal pot for a helmet?That is the most important factor in using any unit- cool headwear.

She in fact has no helmet. She has a flower barrette instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

example:

rinkah gains a level. the game had rolled 37 for her HP growth at this level when the run had started.

in one timeline, rinkah is a chieftain, and has a 30% hp growth. she does not gain hp.

in the other timeline, rinkah is a blacksmith, and has a 40% hp growth. she gains hp.

Sorbocules posted:

she has freckles and post-traumatic stress disorder

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

example:

rinkah gains a level. the game had rolled 37 for her HP growth at this level when the run had started.

in one timeline, rinkah is a chieftain, and has a 30% hp growth. she does not gain hp.

in the other timeline, rinkah is a blacksmith, and has a 40% hp growth. she gains hp.

she has freckles and post-traumatic stress disorder

She can also kill boars.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Supremezero posted:

She in fact has no helmet. She has a flower barrette instead.

Flower barette sounds like proper headwear. If she's in Nohr I'll use her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she's in every route. she's really good in nohr because you can immediately reclass her to archer and get a bow user who isn't niles.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Apparently the breaking sky skill has been translated as Rend Heaven.

A cool name imo.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Junpei Hyde posted:

Apparently the breaking sky skill has been translated as Rend Heaven.

A cool name imo.

Heaven Rend would be cooler imo.

Also, wait, what. Has localization finally succeeded in reaching the opposite extreme? First we take out innocent religious terms, now we add them where they previously didn't exist.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

She has a 30% growth when promoted and starts with 20hp.

Are you really feeling that lucky
Isn't that just her personal strength growth, before adding the class modifier?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nihilarian posted:

That's her HP growth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

he's talking about her *HP growth as a chieftain, which is 30%

you can just make her a blacksmith tho, it has better growths for her role

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Supremezero posted:

Heaven Rend would be cooler imo.

Also, wait, what. Has localization finally succeeded in reaching the opposite extreme? First we take out innocent religious terms, now we add them where they previously didn't exist.

blame yourself or god

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

General Morden posted:

blame yourself or god

Pick a God and pray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Supremezero posted:

That's her HP growth.