Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Magic looks OP as gently caress, I think I'll do that for a 2nd playthrough if I have time before DS3 comes out. I went with a Axe+Shield build and it's working out so far, Battle Axe does so much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a better place to farm Blade Wraith ribs than the first 2 you encounter? I've killed them like 10 times and got nothing so the drop rate seems horrible(I even had a guide boosting item find).

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That Pursuers look-alike spell is extremely good. And I thought flame barrage was good, this thing hits nearly as hard it seems like and costs way less to use.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow, Kraken Wyrm is hilariously easy once you realize his ground moves can't hit you if you're jumping. Combined with the fire resist shield I think that was the easiest boss so far.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RatHat posted:

Is there a better place to farm Blade Wraith ribs than the first 2 you encounter? I've killed them like 10 times and got nothing so the drop rate seems horrible(I even had a guide boosting item find).

Nope! The random item drops required for Creed progression is annoying as hell. It's why the Betrayer's best; you know exactly how and where to get their items, which is guaranteed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

poptart_fairy posted:

Nope! The random item drops required for Creed progression is annoying as hell. It's why the Betrayer's best; you know exactly how and where to get their items, which is guaranteed.

Yeah, maybe. I think I might just go Devara for the better healing items since no other creeds offer any weapons/armor I'm interested in.

EDIT: Is the Splendor Axe better than the Kraeken Axe? Splendor has lower base damage but higher scaling, and is the only class 5 axe.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 5, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I started using the Steel Centipede and holy poo poo it's amazing. :allears:

Doesn't hurt that it looks awesome, too, but drat that whip -> leaping lunge combo is awesome. Basically has replaced my Tachi and I prefer it over my Flint & Steel mainly because I can rock a shield with it, though I'm finding I use my shield less and less now, just like a Souls game.

Just cleared the Ziggurat, have all (?) four traversal powers, and am now headed down into the Ruined Temple... I feel like I missed an area somewhere (other than Pinewoods below the Far Beach) but I'm not sure what. Beat the lower Ziggurat boss on my first try. :feelsgood:

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Same. Just killed the Ziggurat boss in time for work. gently caress those clayface leapers by the mimic though. Jerks.

This game is fun when you know the way forward.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It's scratching both my Metroidvania and Souls itches at the same time. It's way too good.

My only complaint so far is that the vast majority of Light Armors are total trash and look bad, to boot. The whole point of Fashion Salt is to at least look good if you're using silly looking gear!

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Fuzz posted:

It's scratching both my Metroidvania and Souls itches at the same time. It's way too good.

My only complaint so far is that the vast majority of Light Armors are total trash and look bad, to boot. The whole point of Fashion Salt is to at least look good if you're using silly looking gear!

Upgraded boatman set is what I'm rockin with Stella gauntlets. It looks okay. :shobon:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NT Plus posted:

Upgraded boatman set is what I'm rockin with Stella gauntlets. It looks okay. :shobon:

I'm using a mix of that, the Clay mask, and the Bloodbound set to look like a psychopath.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess Undersight is the gimmick of the Dome of the Forgotten area? What happens if you run out of the potions?

EDIT: Also Red Hall of Cages is very frustrating but I've heard there's an even worse zone...

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 6, 2016

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
so I just got the redshift brand and from the dialogue and the description it sounds like I can pass through red barriers now, but when I try to go through the one near where you get the brand it's impassable, did I miss something? it doesn't look like I can go back the way I came without using a bell

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

cat doter posted:

so I just got the redshift brand and from the dialogue and the description it sounds like I can pass through red barriers now, but when I try to go through the one near where you get the brand it's impassable, did I miss something? it doesn't look like I can go back the way I came without using a bell

Whip out your torch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

I guess Undersight is the gimmick of the Dome of the Forgotten area? What happens if you run out of the potions?

Then you can't see the whispermen. Good luck!

(They tend to appear around the clusters of candles, also they leave small puffs of smoke in the air when moving.)

Stargate posted:

Whip out your torch.

I wish they hadn't buried the instructions for using the brands deep in the inventory screen, the bottle system is right there and they were already used for a tutorial at the start anyway.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Got to Hägars Cave. Game went from medicore to superbad. What a wash.

Analogi
Mar 31, 2011

What the duck?

FrickenMoron posted:

You're superbad because it's optional area.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I liked Hager's although the boss run is p. bullshit.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

Your username is appropriate! :smugbert:

Only got to play briefly last night, found the floating castle over the ginormous crater. Really love the design and vibe of the world, the island has a great sense of scale. So far the only lovely area was the mire, and mainly because of loving fall damage. The Mighty Boosh reference more than made up for it, holy poo poo. :allears:

I finished the Priestess and the Thief's storylines, haven't seen the Wandering Knight in awhile. The Steel Centipede is still the poo poo, and I'm starting to use my Flint and Steel more often, though the attack speed is still slow and lovely. I feel like I must be nearing the end,which makes me sad... overall a great game, but it could have been a little harder, I think. Maybe I'm just overleveled right now, though (62).

I do like the whole stat tree system, and in a lot of ways it's superior to the Souls game since looking at how the tree expands kinda gives you a solid idea of what stats to focus on, and giving you the option to level up each stat boost up to 3 times is nice if you want to focus on upping your damage without hunting around the tree for extra paths to branch into. Some may not like how you can't be flexible with your weapons, but I don't mind it.

The only option I could suggest adding would be a full respec NPC, unlike the Gray Pearls. That NPC would literally wipe all your Pearls completely so you can start over, but you'd still be limited by following the paths, giving the Gray Pearls some use.

Genocyber posted:

There's a fast way to get to him, just go up from the Sanctuary, across the platforms with the bone archers and the blue disappearing ones, and then jump to the left. You'll take a little fall damage and then have to kill the shrieking ghosts, but then it's a straight shot to the boss.

Trick to him is to stay up in his grill and roll past him twice for most of his attacks since he does them mostly in pairs and will switch halfway. Just get away when he fires straight up.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 6, 2016

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

So I found uhh... not-Seath. He's a jerk. Any GLG (Goon League Gaming) pro strats? I have a third tier gun, a shield, and a third tier sword sword.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I finished my magic run and destroyed the boss in about 5 seconds. Now I'm in NG+ for cleanup, and I'm thinking about trying to eek out a magic only NG+ LP before That Game comes out on Tuesday. I have some questions:

- Why the gently caress don't you start NG+ with your brands? So lame.
- I've pretty much maxed my magic tree. I guess I could get into swords so I could use the magic swords, but that seems dumb now that magic is actually doing real damage and I don't have to worry about focus cost so much. What should I do with these pearls? Class 5 light armor?
- Is there a better staff than the one you can transmute to using the Witch's ear? It's the only class 5 staff I've found so far.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

EC posted:

So I finished my magic run and destroyed the boss in about 5 seconds. Now I'm in NG+ for cleanup, and I'm thinking about trying to eek out a magic only NG+ LP before That Game comes out on Tuesday. I have some questions:

- I've pretty much maxed my magic tree. I guess I could get into swords so I could use the magic swords, but that seems dumb now that magic is actually doing real damage and I don't have to worry about focus cost so much. What should I do with these pearls? Class 5 light armor?
- Is there a better staff than the one you can transmute to using the Witch's ear? It's the only class 5 staff I've found so far.

Seems there are only 5 staves on the game do once you max that one. You have got your to tier weapon. Find willpower nodes or get some utility prayers

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there any point to using a wand when you can just put a staff into the 2-hand slot and switch to it when you want to do magic?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Just the teleporting skeletons, really. gently caress those so much.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EC posted:

Heavy armor + lots of endurance so you can be a tank mage. Otherwise willpower is probably the best.

RatHat posted:

Is there any point to using a wand when you can just put a staff into the 2-hand slot and switch to it when you want to do magic?

A cool combo you can do with any projectile attack (e.g. certain spells, xbows, and pistols) is firing right after doing a melee attack, which will immediately fire a shot and have you dash backwards quite a bit. It's useful and cool+fun to do. Makes being a spellsword sort of character much more fun.

Toiwat posted:

Just the teleporting skeletons, really. gently caress those so much.

Yeah those kind of suck. Such a pain to kill them when they won't stand in a single place long enough to hit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just wish they wouldn't teleport to random places 10 times in a row before staying put. Very often they'd appear right in front of me just to teleport away again over and over while I'd be standing still watching them, thinking "you done?"

You can't hit them while they're teleporting which makes them really tedious.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Genocyber posted:

A cool combo you can do with any projectile attack (e.g. certain spells, xbows, and pistols) is firing right after doing a melee attack, which will immediately fire a shot and have you dash backwards quite a bit. It's useful and cool+fun to do. Makes being a spellsword sort of character much more fun.

Flint and Steel is pretty awesome for this, plus unlike a weapon and gun combo you can still equip a charm, which is huge.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone know how to get the item above the door to the Sanctuary in The Fort Beyond the Mire? You can go to the right and go up 2 platforms but then you're stuck and I can't figure out how to get up.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

You need to either come back with the air dash brand or equip a knife and use its air combo to make the final walljump onto the roof.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NT Plus posted:

So I found uhh... not-Seath. He's a jerk. Any GLG (Goon League Gaming) pro strats? I have a third tier gun, a shield, and a third tier sword sword.

Really? I found him pretty easy. He beat me the first time but I was able to best him on the second. His attacks are pretty easy to dodge and he's slow. He also wasn't doing much damage to me; I scarcely remember him, save that you should roll through and attack him from behind. If your damage is low, make sure you've upgraded your weapon to max.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Internet Friend posted:

You need to either come back with the air dash brand or equip a knife and use its air combo to make the final walljump onto the roof.

Ah, didn't realize that brand could be used like that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Tomb of the Deadp Gods can go dick itself with some of the jumps.

On the topic of unreachable items, there's one above the Inversion stone in the Flying Castle that I can't figure out how to get to... You can't wall jump on the walls to left, no matter how hard I try.

Analogi
Mar 31, 2011

What the duck?

Fuzz posted:

On the topic of unreachable items, there's one above the Inversion stone in the Flying Castle that I can't figure out how to get to... You can't wall jump on the walls to left, no matter how hard I try.

There's one of those walls that you open with circle button on the outside of the castle.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just beat it. Pretty drat awesome game. Tempted to start again with another build until Tuesday...

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I still can't beat the last boss with my knife build. Given the impending DS3 release, I can safely say I will not finish this game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If it's any consolation I still can't kill the bloody Slumbering Deep. He's the only trophy stopping me from getting Platinum. :saddowns:

Analogi
Mar 31, 2011

What the duck?

poptart_fairy posted:

If it's any consolation I still can't kill the bloody Slumbering Deep. He's the only trophy stopping me from getting Platinum. :saddowns:

Select cleric for easiest time with it, mace + holy paper tears it a new one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

poptart_fairy posted:

Don't get greedy, only attack once after dodging.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
gently caress the last boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Huh, did it on my third try today.

• Locked thread